Other urls found in this thread:

aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/jao-the-ultimate-beginners-mead-recipe.32762/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

kölsch
irish red

got a mead i kegged back in december. gonna tap it this december

belgian witbier in the carboy

belgian witbier in the glass

Fuck, those look good. This weekend I'm planning on starting some brochet (burnt honey mead) and I'm probably going to start a new batch of red wine.

thanks, user.

english brown ale

muh brew house

I just dumped all this into my fermenter, hoping for the best.

Um, does that cider have a bunch of yeast in the bottom or did you leave your yeast out of the picture?

Anybody got a good mead recipe? It'll be my first time, but my girlfriend will be around to monitor it and keep anything from going wrong.

There's a packet of yeast under the lid of that green tin that says cider on the label. Also put a teaspoon of yeast nutrient in to help it along.

Try this one

aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/jao-the-ultimate-beginners-mead-recipe.32762/

New Glaurus spotted cow clone on the left which I'll be bottling in a few days, a dry mead which I'll be going to secondary with soon and two carboys of blueberry wine on the right in secondary.

>2017
>Trusting a woman

Ah. I see. That makes more sense.

Is the middle one the lauter tun? I assume one on the burner is the boil kettle and one the mash tun, right?

*forgot pic, lol

hot liquor tank, mash tun, boil kettle. from left to right

Do you know enough about mead to know whether this will scale up safely? Ive got a 5-gallon kit.

Combined ingredients on left with sugar & fermented in the plastic bottle for 9 days, filtered and drank half but it was still a little sweet and weak so I'm doing a secondary fermentation in the bottle on the right. Honestly not a bad recipe, very drinkable and no off flavors.

My beer fridge

Sorry I've never made mead before but I don't think there's any reason why it wouldn't work, just get your maths right and you should be OK.

It says 7/8 lb of honey per quart of water results in a mead that's quite sweet. If I want dry or mildly sweet mead, should I go down to 3/4 lb per quart of even lower to 1/2 lb?

I'm not sure mate, I've never made mead, I've been eyeballing that recipe for a while though.

Ah okay, maybe someone else will know. Was planning on trying to make mead again soon but the last time it resulted in something that was dry but not very strong in flavor or alcohol content either so I think I didn't use enough. Not a big fan of sweet drinks and really don't want to end up with sweet mead.

I use 12 lbs of honey/4 gallons of water with Lavlin EC1118 Champagne yeast and always get a dry mead @ 11-12% alcohol.

Thanks, I'll try that ratio and see how it turns out.

New wine kit just arrived today. FUCK YEAR

Do you use any other additives?

I did that only I added a can of Pineapple juice and a bottle of Key Lime Juice and when I racked into secondary I added another 6 lbs of honey. Final ABV was somewhere in the 25%+ range. (forgot to take the FG at secondary and my vinometer only reads up to 25%)

First of all what yeast are you using?

>he doesn't want to dress up like a viking and make mead
What are you, gay?

It's just baking yeast, I forget which brand. It turned 2 lbs of honey in a gallon of water pretty dry. Not sure what the abv in that would be, just hoped someone would give me an estimate.

baking yeast usually dies off around 12% AVB, which is pretty stout for a fermented beverage. 2lb of honey in 1 gallon of water sounds like you probably wet to about 8% and the yeast dies from starvation. If you go to 3 lbs per gallon you'll end up with a semi-sweet that actually hits 12%. Add in a little citrus juice or vitamin C powder (the yeast likes the added acidity) and some yeast nutrient and you'll get faster colonization and faster fermentation.