Paprika

biggest scam in food

Not a very convincing argument OP.

PLEEEEEEB

whenever i grill/bbq something, i give it a really thick paprika rub.

it forms a crunchy crust that absorbs all the smoky flavors.

What does that even mean? How could it possibly be a scam?

paprika's flavor really comes out in the presence of fat.

mix a ton into any rich/creamy sauce.

you hear that sound? that's the train to flavor town. and you've got a ticket.

stop buying shitty paprika user. I used to think it was worthless as well. now it's one of my favorite spices. god bless the magyars

this

nice smoked hungarian paprika is amazing

Hungary-fag here to share some insider knowledge:

Buy red if you want only the flavor, get orange if you want it to kick like a mule.

Put finely diced onions and fry until translucent (preferably with fat but regular oil works too).
Once the onions are ready just sprinkle the paprika on top of it and work the whole thing together.

Add in the meat of your choice and cook until ready.

Once your meat is done add sliced carrot, parsley and potatoes then drown the whole thing in water.

Only spice you'll need is salt, pepper and some sort of vegetable mix.

You've just made hungarian goulash

Paprika is just red bell peppers?
Why don't they just call it that.

Now I don't have to buy peppers for a dollar each I can just use this stuff.

Thanks Hungarian bro!

Smoked paprika is delicious

It's just red pepper which is used in powdered form

Could you realistically make your own at home, or is the airing/powdering process complicated?

and I forgot to mention this but "paprika" literally translates to "pepper"
That's all

I don't know the exact process but it probably isn't hard as many people make home made versions.

If I had to gues you'd just have to dry the peppers and grind them to a fine powder

>god bless the magyars
paprika is serbian actually, from pȁpar, from Proto-Slavic *pьpьrь meaning spicy

Goulash and motherfucking sabre technique, the two most important things Hungary has given to the world.

When done properly, either can take your head off.

I just checked it out.
It's as I suspected. Just dry the peppers and once they loose all moisture just grind them to a fine powder

We were also pretty good archers.

Hungarians riding horses could shoot arrows backwards or while standing on the back of the horse

How would you go about drying them out that thoroughly without cooking them? Just leave them in the oven on a really low heat all day?

What do you mean by vegetable mix as a spice?

I don't have vegetable mix. Will celery salt do?

No, just string them up with something thick and let them hang in a dry place for days.
Once it basically crumbles by itself it should be good

This is what I call a "vegetable mix".
And yes that IS the name of the thing.

It's basically just salt, flavor enhancers, spices and some vegetables like carrots

>This is what I call a "vegetable mix".
Mrs. Dash brand seasoning would be an example that's common in the US.

Hungarians use alma and boldog peppers which have thinner walls than bell peppers making it easier to dry. I tried with regular red sweet peppers and it was still a bit moist after 3 days in the hot California sun.

Or if you don't have a place where it's safe from light or moisture I guess you could dry them in an oven.

Here's how you should do it:
>remove the stalk
>cut it in half
>put it in an oven but leave it slightly ajar
>Use low heat (around 50 degrees Celsius)

That's about it.

The only thing I don't know is if this is applicable to ALL peppers.
Never tried it with anything other than sweet bellpeppers

I live in England, there's no chance for me going for the sun method.

I'm going to try this tonight, thanks. Worst case scenario I ruin a couple of bell peppers.

Is it like bouillon mix or vegetable stock?

No problem man, just try not to burn your house down.

Yeah... I had no fucking clue how well known that is outside of eastern europe.
And it's basically part of the holy trinity that is Salt, Pepper and Vegeta. The cornerstones of any hearty meal around here

I have absolutely no fucking idea.

Though I guess vegetable stock is a good substitute.
Basically it's just meant to enhance the flavors but it's salty so it has to be used in moderation

If you have some, could you check the ingredients? Is it just a regular spice mix you could do at home?

Here you go:

salt max. 56%
dehydrated vegetables 15.5% (carrot, parsnip, onions, celery, parsley leaves)
flavour enhancers (MSG max. 15%, disodium inosinate)
sugar
spices
cornstarch
riboflavin (for yellow coloring)

Thanks, I appreciate it. It looks simple enough.

Dude yes this is what my grandmother made for us a bunch thanks Hungarian-user

your lowest oven temp is probably too hot to dry them out without cooking them. plus it takes like 8 hours so I don't think you want your oven to be on that long
you can buy a food dehydrator for about $50 (the one I have isn't on amazon.co.uk but there are similar ones for £40) that'll have a temperature setting. the cheaper ones will usually default to 165f/74c which is the temperature to make jerky. for peppers you want a lower temperature around 130f/54c
it's probably not worth buying a dehydrator exclusively for drying peppers to make into powder though (although it is neat making your own unique pepper powders). if you have a garden and find yourself giving away veggies since you can't use them before they go bad, then it's definitely worth it in my opinion

Why do you call paprikas bell pepper, though? They're not pepper. Pepper is a spice from South Asia.

Because the spice pepper here is called something else entirely.

To us peppers mean stuff like Jalapeno or bell pepper or any other kind of fruit.

The seeds you know as pepper is called "bors"

don't buy shitty brands dude, paprika is the thinking mans' chili powder

>Why do you call paprikas bell pepper, though?
Bell pepper is specific.
"Paprika" is the name of the whole genus. It could mean anything; it's very vague.

Damn that looks pretty good.

I just ground my first paprika peppers and it smells fucking amazing. I'm going to make user's goulash recipe this weekend.

did you remember to smoke or at least roast the peppers first? that makes a world of difference

yeah they roasted to almost a purple color

Hungary-fag here

Looks pretty good.
Glad I could help

Thanks for being so helpful, friend. I really appreciate you going through the effort to convert temps/prices for me.

If you have a car and an area with hot sun it's easy to dry fruits and vegetables by just putting them on trays and placing the trays on the car dashboards (pic related we're drying some jujube fruit). They dry within 2-3 days.

Make a thread for it

interesting. does that leave any odors in the car?

A slightly sweet smell for a while but it dissipates. It's not at all objectionable and much better than the chemical perfumes that some people put in their cars, imho.

Would THIS do the trick?

>"Paprika" is the name of the whole genus
no. the genus is called "capsicum".

"paprika" is a common name the variety americans call "bell pepper".

try making blackened fish without paprika retard

mind you a big part of Serbia was Hungary, Vojvodina, where the vast majority of the Serbian agriculture takes place, belonged to Hungary, there are still parts which are still predominantly Hungarian

i don't think that anyone would associate to Serbia, when paprika gets mentioned, when it comes to Serbian cuisine, burek, pljeskavica, cevapi comes to mind

the origin of the word "paprika" is Serbo-Croatian, that's right, the plant itself came from Mexico to Europe and now it's known by most as a Hungarian spice

>Put finely diced onions and fry until translucent (preferably with fat but regular oil works too).
>Once the onions are ready just sprinkle the paprika on top of it and work the whole thing together.
Well ain't that weird. That's precisely how I make my scrambled eggs.
Uma delicia too.

i'm a Hungarian too and this shit is overrated, it's mainly salt, if you put this into any dish, it hardly requires any other salt, that's how salty it is, if you want to put dried vegetable mix into a dish, there are better alternatives, which doesn't contain any salt

Vegeta is not Hungarian though, it's Croatian

someone asked, so yes, it can be replaced with stock or bouillon, which is made from vegetables

this
just like how curries are the thinking man's chili
just look at how chili is loved by white trash while intellectuals and europeans (though the non-continental kind) enjoy curry

i like paprika but i dont really taste it unless i pour a ton of it on. i put it on some spaghetti and then plain lentils to test it out and nothing. unless i poured a ton of it on

that's how it is supposed to be, if it's not the spicy/hot version, it's not an overpowering spice, it's put into dishes mostly because of the color

Who put the paprika in your vagisil?