Recipe calls for buttermilk

>recipe calls for buttermilk

Why would that trigger you?

There are a number of substitutes for buttermilk in baking. For each cup of buttermilk, you can use 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let stand for 5 minutes. You can also use 1 cup of plain yogurt or 1-3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar plus 1 cup milk.

I have this problem with boneless chicken thighs. They don't sell these in supermarkets here. All you get is whole chicken legs with drumsticks & thighs.

>"This seems like it'd be a simple recipe for a poorfag like me. Let's look up one and see what it calls for."
>every one of them calls for buttermilk

Thanks, user.

What's the problem again?
Just go get some fucking buttermilk.

lactose intolerance my friend

>recipe calls for wine
>recipe calls for sherry
*pours honey instead*

>recipe calls for bacon
*slap on chicken breast instead*

Do you have buttermilk money, faggot?

Of course. It's cheap.

It's not any more expensive than regular milk, and they keep it right next to the regular milk in grocery stores. Besides, that stuff lasts about a week and a half, giving you plenty of time to use it. Want it to last even longer? Pour some into an ice tray and freeze it. Then just take a few cubes out when a recipe calls for it and let them melt in a measuring cup. Lrn2poorfag

For a pint vs a gallon, sure it's not any more expensive.

You can do one better and put the frozen buttermilk cubes in some regular milk and leave it for a day or two. The bacteria turns the whole thing into buttermilk.

I often make biscuits using milk/yogurt or milk/sour cream instead of buttermilk. I mix a 3:1 ratio milk to yogurt, let it sit for a few mins and boom, buttermilk substitute.

Buttermilk powder

Milk and lemon juice faggot

Eurofag there, I fucking hate american cook books with all their ingredients with badly tranlsated names that literally don't fucking exist. Fuck you just use normal food already.

>>>recipe calls for bacon
>*slap on chicken breast instead*
Chicken skin would probably work better

Also honey isn't at all a good substitute for dry wine and sherry. You should rather replace with water or skip it altogether.

buttermilk is cultured so there is little, if any, lactose in it

>that stuff lasts about a week and a half
what? that shit lasts way longer in the fridge.

>recipe calls for 32 oz of white truffles, eight swiftlet nests and a two pounds of saffron

this
Buttermilk is very rarely used here, never even saw it in any supermarket.

>recipe calls for kosher salt
What even is that, not living in a zionist puppet state I have never heard this term before

flaky salt specially designed for koshering, the goal of which is to pull water out of foods. It has nothing to do with Judaism beyond the fact that Jews run delis and would use this type of salt with regularity. All salt is already "kosher" in the Jewish sense

It's also common enough that you can use it as a reference for precise measurements. Salt with different sized crystals can vary a lot in volume. Many recipes which call for kosher salt recommend 1/2 the volume if using table salt for instance.

wow, duly noted

That's odd. I've seen them in pretty much every supermarket that I've gone into. Where are you?

I love buttermilk, always have it, and almost always us it in baked goods when milk is called for.

You cannot make the world's best pancakes or onion rings without buttermilk.

>really want to make something
>make special trip to the store for this particular dish
>somehow forgot the main ingredient even though I wrote out a list on my phone

closest I've ever come to suicide

or fried chicken, for that matter.

Hate when this happens

I can never find the packet of stuff you add to mushed avocado to make it into this stuff that tastes like a way too pasty guacamole.

Or waffles, I can tell.

>lactose intolerance

I don't believe in this shit. One time I ate a bowl of cereal made with heavy cream instead of milk and had wicked stomach cramps. Also when they start coming out with egg nog and custard during the holidays I literally can't help myself. I used to chug a quart of horizon egg nog in a single sitting and it would fuck up my innards.

My point is that maybe humans aren't supposed to be consuming as much lactose as is available to us, and that people who claim to be "lactose intolerant" are just as intolerant as the next person but seek self-actualization and an identity from quirky little buzzword disorders.

white people produce lactase generally while nobody else does

you can get lactose free egg nog you know, tastes exactly like the normal stuff. if anything it's sweeter because the lactose is broken into galactose and glucose, which are sweeter