Why don't you own an Aogami Super Blue carbon steel blade?

Why don't you own an Aogami Super Blue carbon steel blade?

Other urls found in this thread:

engineeringtoolbox.com/compositions-steel-d_1494.html
veekyforums.com/thread/9458800/food-and-cooking/why-don-t-you-own-an-aogami-super-blue-carbon.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I own a bunch of various steels for various tasks.
Is this gonna be a legit knife thread?

>Is this gonna be a legit knife thread?

It's Veeky Forums, what do -you- think?

It happens. Usually for a few hours before derailing. I've seen it. It's magical.

Post what you got!

Because I don't have the money :(
Maybe one day I'll be able to get something other than this $10 IKEA piece of scrap metal

Is that a cck cleaver? I love mine

It sure is. I used to have the unclad version. It was a beauty. I gave it to a Chinese kid I trained. He's still using it. Top tier knife. The price is fair as well.

I don't want knives with demonic glyphs on it. It may be very sharp, but at what cost?

I was thinking of buying something like AS or one of the nicer stainless like AEBL in a petty knife. How reactive is aogami if I'm going to be cutting a lot of onions and vegetables with it? I have an SK-4 gyuto that always leaves fruits smelling a little sulfury.

Any kind of carbon steel will be very reactive unless you're autisticaly aware of it.

As a professional. I recommend the 5$ henckels petty knife you see everywhere. If you want a showpiece, carbon steel is fine, just be wary.

Some carbon steels like Blue #2 are not very reactive while others like White #1 will start changing color within 2 minutes of coming into contact with moisture, requiring wiping down with dry towel between tasks.

don't worry bruh, the glyphs are only activated by the lifeblood of a human

Because Japanese steel is crap.

I'm not referring to the knife. I'm talking about the produce. I assume everyone considering carbon steel religiously takes care of their equipment.

I've found in order to have carbon steel not react. You need to cut a couple onions and have the knife develop a patina first. Don't wash it with soap or abrasives. Need to build up a patina layer to avoid discoloration of veggies.

For cleaning, hot water, anti bacterial spray. Just basic cleanliness will take you far.

I don't care much about the way the knife looks, more about how it leaves the food tasting. Would stainless cladded blue or white be a better alternative?

High grade carbons like Blue or white will not affect taste. Only low grade carbon steels like SK4 with impurities like sulphur will discolour and allegedly change the taste of food

In terms of all around, I don't want to worry about it too much situations, stainless clad or just straight up stainless will always be better. High carbon steel knives are better in very specific situations and specific conditions with specific products.

All the shit talk about million times folded steel comes from people buying knives for the wrong reasons.

If you want a daily driver, some combination of stainless properties is what you're after.

If you're a professional looking for a knife with a certain purpose in mind, then high carbon steel knives make sense.

> I own a 1000$ dollar carbon knife
>I only use it when necessary

It's a great knife. But if I'm doing light prep for chicken stock or making lunch, I have better options that are far cheaper.

Pick up a cck cleaver. They will do everything a home cook requires.

This is my expensive baby. I love it. It's amazing.

For daily use. I use an aritsugu gyuto. Everyday, for the last 5 years in a professional setting. It does everything I need it to without having to worry about carbon complications.

That knife is special events and slicing, situations where I need immaculate cuts and presentation.

All high carbon steels contain sulphur. Until you develop a patina it will affect taste. Mostly it will affect color. The taste depends heavily on what the intended use is.

Raw onions for salad. After sharpening, discard the first few slices. Onions for a braise or other cooked preparations, don't worry about it.

>All high carbon steels contain sulphur.
citation plz

I'm not sure how to link pdf files. Blue and white paper steel contains between 0.04 and 0.05% sulfur due to how steel is made. The impurity is a necessary part of making steel. Stainless as well contains sulfur in about the same amount. However, the process for which stainless is able to be resistant to odor affectation is unknown. Possibly due to chromium content. I'm not a Metallurgy expert. And even experts are not currently sure why high carbon affects oxidization and stainless does not. Potentiality due to lower reactivity due to chromium content.

Interesting. Thank you

should I pull the trigger on this? Ideally I want something in Blue #2 but everything is beyond my budget

engineeringtoolbox.com/compositions-steel-d_1494.html

....or just google "Composition of steel alloys".

It should match well with your fedora.

it's supposed to be a quality knife, despite the tacky dragon

No amount of patina on the sides can prevent discoloration when cutting onions provided you keep your shit maintained

The reason is that the edge is exposed every time you touch the stones and the edge has to touch what it cuts

>just make sure you never cut yourself.
I feel confident.

>6-inch chef knife

no

What's a carbon steel that's least likely to impart metal taste on fruits?

Is this knife the Veeky Forums equivalent of reddit-tier edge lord katana?

That's why I recommend tossing the first few cuts after sharpening, or not cutting reactive foods first. It is possible to build temporary patina on the cutting edge, it's something myself and my coworkers do every day. If you're using a steel every few minutes, or wiping with abrasives, then yeah you'll have some issues .Depends heavily on your sharpening habits. With proper care and use, about a week between stones in a professional kitchen is fine.

So as I mentioned earlier, high carbon steel should only be used if you already have a strong reason for it and intend to use it in situations that are suitable. Otherwise, it's inadvisable to get one.

I think the key point of your post is, don't use your tools for tasks that they are unsuitable for.

Please take note

Can some knifefag identify this knife?

Just curious, because it doesn't look all that expensive.

isn't that a wusthof ikon

Does the value of a knife skyrocket once you put chinese cartoon letters on it??

Not always
Depends on how many times they fold the letters

Yep, thanks, it probably is. He never shows the side with the logo (or he removed it, I don't know), but the shape and handle looks very much identical.

im not allowed to own a weapon anymore, state mandated

Looks like it has chink writing on the blade. Downsaged

I don't buy things with "super" in their names

Knowledgeable people say "AS" if it tips your fedora, m'lord. No need to sound like the sheeple

Why haven't you just given up?

You're basically human pudding as a person, right?

Dalstrong have a rep for selling "vg10 @61 HRC" then when you get one its closer to 55 HRC and made out of who knows what.

What kind of rube buys a knife called "dalstrong"?

He usually uses wusthofs, and yeah they can be decently pricey for production knives.

dunno but there is a lot of them

but hobistrokonick is so much stronger! Knives can't even be made so malbistrostronic as knives with pleen technology welded into their molocraftian homesoakes.

>not wanting a chefs knife runeblade
Why even live

pls more posts like this

How much monies would you need to put on the table for such a moonrune powered blade?

The Deep Impact series was a limited run made specifically for memesters on a weeaboo forum. Your best bet is to offer rare pockies on the BST

Was it folded over a thousand times?

1,024 to be precise

i have lots of other knives i paid pretty much nothing for and they all cut things equally well

So I'm going to buy a petty soon and I've got my eye on a Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef in AEB-L. Does anyone have experience with either the steel or the blade maker? I haven't heard a lot about them but what I did was mostly positive. They also have pettys in Blue 2 for what it's worth.

I only use triple folded Valyrian steel.

around 100 to 120 if you buy moritaka hamono or fujiwara.

can anyone suggest a decent cutting board/block for AS blades, all i can find is oak, maple or bamboo and they are all to hard for carbon blades and i hate cutting on cork

I have an old Shun.
There are many like it, but this Shun is mine.

I trust my old Shun.
Many dishes prepared.
My knife loves to cook.

Yup, failed faggot haiku. I still love my Shun and give it wetstone love on a monthly basis. Pic to follow once I'm home from work. It's my knaifu.

>he doesn't carry pictures of his knifu at all times

Dunno, the cheap knives I have work and I don't want to waste my money?

I have an image somewhere here on my tablet, but work is too busy tonight to fuck about finding it. I think it's a Shun Classic, but it was gifted to me so I'm not sure. I'll take a fresh pic of my knaifu once I get home in a few hours.

I have a Tojiro Gyutou DP knife and it works amazingly well for $60.
I just don't see myself making use of a high end knife, I don't cook all the time.

But I do

>buying knife from CKTG

There is literally nothing wrong with CKTG

Here is my reliable, trusty, best-girl knaifu. She's an old Shun, and she's seen a couple years in the trenches, but now I get to enjoy her edge while fuckin' about in the kitchen at home. My wusthof stays in the block most of the time.

>Pick up a cck cleaver. They will do everything a home cook requires.
Yeah, I can just imagine they joy of mincing garlic or matchsticking vegetables with the feel of a cleaver.

Lets say Im a retard and I want to buy knives for cooking
For what should I look in knives?
What steel to choose?
What brands are good?

So, I'm moving back out soon, and my family has destroyed all of my kitchen stuff so I have to buy new shit.

Looking to get one (1) all-around knife for meat and vegetables.

What the fuck style knife should I get? I know that if I want something that lasts I either get German or Japanese, but it seems like most Japanese knives are specialty, doesn't seem to be a style of knife that's good enough at everything. Or I could be retarded.

>I kind of just want to avoid getting a generic chefs knife after the last 3 I've had turned out to be pretty garbage, so I was leaning toward Japanese over German, but then you enter weeb territory

If you want japanese, Santoku specifically is an all around knife type.

In the $100USD or less range, just get yourself a decent gyuto. german mfg (henkels, messer or wusthof) if you prefer more heft and don't mind a bolster, or something like a shun sora if you prefer a lighter feel and/or detest a full bolster. santoku style has its own appeal, but I personally hate the scalloped sides.

veekyforums.com/thread/9458800/food-and-cooking/why-don-t-you-own-an-aogami-super-blue-carbon.html
NANI?

Because my potentially crappy, cheap kitchen knife is good enough for my needs.
I don't need to cut stuff with some big name-brand knife if I manage to cut it just fine with something I already have.

t. Mark Richmond's wife pretending to be a customer

How much of a cook you are? How complicated dishes you make? There's many knife snobs on Veeky Forums and some of them maybe even do cook something above-average regularly, needing precision and quality of some superior blade. But if you're average user who just wants to make himself a dinner semi-regularly, one that isn't meant to look like a page from some catalogue but be tasty, filling and so on - you'll do fine with literally any cheap kitchen knife made from decent steel as long as you'll treat it with care.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But the cck does both of those very well. Veggie cleavers are much lighter than bone cleavers.

Honestly, I don't really feel bonded with a knife until I cut myself with it. That's why all of my knives have names like Hand Biter.

>not sweet talking your knives
>not forging a bond with them
>not being careful
Ouch it cut me
Silly hand biter
>calling your knives stupid shit like that
No wonder you cut yourself your knives must resent you

It's my only rule when I lend knives. Don't cut yourself. This knife and I have a pact of blood, sealed inside it's 1000 folds

>Not naming your knives
Your knives with never love you back.

I had a pact like that with my last girlfriend. It wasn't an entirely voluntary thing on my side. She accidentally sat on me and it took months before I could wrestle my way out of the folds.

Tojiro DP series. Best entry level gyuto and likely all you need desu

A good knife makes EVERY sort of cutting and and preparing task easier. What is so hard to understand about that? Yes, you can probably climg KIlimanjaro with Crocs and clothes in a trash liner with three holes for your head and arms cut out. That doesn't mean the experience will be way, way easier and more enjoyable with a pair of first rate hiking boots and Gore-Tex gear. I bet you have never worked with a really good knife. I ca n thell you thre are WORLDS of difference between my cheap shit knives, my good factory knives and my hand-tuned knives.

*climb Kilimanjaro with Crocs and *clothed in a ...