Homemade Pierogies

These turned out very good. The dough was an absolute horror to work with though.

Potato cheese with onion is the filing.

Other urls found in this thread:

noblepig.com/2009/09/pierogi/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Good first try.

sounds delicious. never attempted to make them myself but I do love some pierogi with some sage butter

did you serve them with fried onion on top?
that's how we usually do it in Poland, we call that particular variety "ruskie" or "ruthenian"

noblepig.com/2009/09/pierogi/

Here is the recipe, but it has a couple problems.
>way too many potatoes, you only need about 2/3 of them for the dough
>the filling per the recipe does not have enough cheese and I ended up using like a bag and a half of sargento mild cheddar plus two velveeta soft packages
>the dough was pure horror, I had bought a cutter and folder from amazon, but the dough would shrink and tear and I actually had to get up and walk away and take an aspirin and come back later to finish
>made three batches of dough and each one had a different texture and consistency with the same ingredients

Do the same filling in wanton wrappers, dust with olive oil and sprinkle garlic, and broil them. Pierogies are the shit though. Also do the same thing but with a can of black beans blended with a little cream cheese and chives for great ravioli with marinara on top or to dip with.

Nice. I'm actually about to eat some pierogi myself but I'm lazy so I'll be going with Mrs T's

No, a large onion was sauteed and put in the filling. Just boiled, then fried in butter.

Here is another pic before I eat them all. Made about 50 all together. Froze a lot of them.

>sargento mild cheddar plus two velveeta soft packages
ah, so it wasn't ruthenian pierogi after all, those always use quark

No, not authentic, then again my grandmother had off the boat polish neighbors and they weren't really authentic either. Used what they had but made good food and that is all that matters.

Not OP but what else do you guys eat these with? There's a polish market that makes and boils pierogi, all I have to do is fry in butter.
I normally just have them with sour cream and kielbasa from their meat counter, but I feel like I need some variety.

>Not OP but what else do you guys eat these with?

They aren't made very often and typically served as a side of turkey or Christmas dinner.
I like them plain. The taste comes from the filling inside you prefer.

The egg and cream will do that to the dough. Flour, salt and hot water ONLY! Maybe a drop of oil.
Anyway nice pierogi OP. Although the filling looks oddly... yellow?

don't worry, they're authentic pierogi no matter what you stuff them with, they just aren't ruskiel
I've even seen "mexican" varieties with chicken, corn and spices
either on their own, or with fried onion / pork rind on top
or sugar if it's fruit pierogi

they look terrible tbph, but pierogi are hard to make so i don't hold it against you.
my nan used to make these by the hundred and i've never had better.

i made some the other day

plated

You can put them in beet soup, except we normally use "uszki" instead but im sure it would still taste good

>those plates

I too know the horrors of pierogi dough. You can't let it go cold otherwise it seizes right up

is that a shaka shaka of cayenne?

I'm a cheapass and even I don't buy plastic plates.