Seriously and without any trolling, is there more cucked professional choice than being chef?

seriously and without any trolling, is there more cucked professional choice than being chef?

now keep in mind, i am not meaning this in a sexual way but what your complete life looks like instead

you work long hours preparing 10/10 food for other people, get paid like shit and after you're done, you treat yourself with some mcdonalds shit or whatever the fuck is cheap and fast enough so you can devour it and go home to sleep and crying in your pillow just so you can rinse and repeat it day after day after day

it's some serious cuckoldry and if you can't see it, go fuck yourself pathetic cucks

awful bait

tell me how it isn't true. i'll wait.

Did 10 years BOH and you're pretty much right, except the McDonalds shit. We eat for free and make whatever we want, son. But yeah, chefs and cooks are treated like human waste, unless they're also the owner/operator of the establishment. And even at higher-end places they will treat you badly. Sure there are good kitchens but most of them are run by lifers who are bitter about it instead of loving it; the passion is gone from them completely and it shows. So they drag your ass through the busted glass of their lives till you become like them, or worse. I got out, and now I'm poor doing something else, but I'm my own boss at least.

BOH is awesome; I wouldn't trade my time for the world, but it destroyed my sanity to several measures. Even people who can handle massive levels of stress can and will crack, and it's not something you should do for a living unless you have no choice, playing back into what I already said, or you're the lucky one that got an investor or your own joint, again, referring back to my own commentary. Or, you can stick with it if you love drugs and loose server pussy and STDs and mama drama. Then have at it.

>you can stick with it if you love drugs and loose server pussy
is this really true? do waitresses really fall for chefs that easy or are you retards just memeing it all the time?

please respond

They don't "fall" for chefs. They think they're as tired and pissed off after work as we are, and are ready to get liquored up and grudge fuck their coworkers for stress relief.

so basically waitresses only pity fuck chefs?

I got from it that you're both pissed off and hate your jobs that it's enough in common to warrant a quick fuck.

You read what you wanted to read into that story, user.

I always feel bad for the cooks anywhere cause that doesn't seem like a job you can slack on. You gotta be busting ass, efficient, and good. I'm sure they don't get paid enough, god bless them. I'll stick to labor and desk jobs.

Wow you can prepare food? Amazing. Can you also breathe oxygen and walk upright?

I had a comfy cooking job in California but after 3 years I wasn't learning anything, so I asked myself what's important to me. I decided to move to a food city and picked Portland OR. And I must of had 5 jobs not lasting more than 3-4 months or weeks each. With standard practices of starting cooks at minimum wage, wage theft by not giving workers breaks, long hours, fucking servers make twice as much money. A couple of places I worked at had commissary kitchens, so I felt like I wasnt a cook but working on an assembly line. Food was good of course but since my time here my love of food is outweighed by my hatred for the service industry. Maybe you'll get lucky but you will have to sacrifice so much for the chef life to pay off. Honestly if you want to work with food start your own small food business, otherwise fuck working in a kitchen.

it's the most cooked professional choice lol

Is this really the American chef experience? They deserve it from what I see on kitchen nightmares US.

>seriously and without any trolling
>cucked
>cuckoldry
>cucks
>go fuck yourself

Starting to regret enrolling in a Culinary Arts diploma desu. Got 2 years left, I'll finish at 21 and I can either join up with Vatel or find a job.

Might as well start my own lil burger stall.

That's all standard practice pretty well everywhere BOH. I've been a cook for 4 years and I've literally never taken a break at work, even if I'm working a 16hr shift. And even in really fine dining restaurants where the skill required and the workload and stress level are insane, you're not making much more than minimum wage. Hell one place i worked, rather than paying us overtime after the required number of hours in a day, would get us to clock out and keep working.

I have a pretty cool culinary program at my college that is pretty cheap but has a pretty big building for itself. Classes are like 80 bucks each, I like doing it for fun and learn new things but I wouldn't consider it a career.

Top kek, my wife became an RN is less than 16 months and with her MD she'll make $60ish an hour.

LeBlue costs like $45k and takes two years so you can get a job MAYBE making 30k a year working 60+ hours a week. Most chefs are fucking idiots who think a salary is a good idea in the kitchen industry...it's not.

>tfw want to become a cook but not so sure now after reading threads like this

I just got a dishwashing job and want to make my way up some day to cooking

>Not working your way up from dish washer to food prep to line cook and so on and so forth
A chef I'm friends with who has catered multiple governor's balls and runs a very respected restaurant in the capital straight up told me cooking schools are a waste and this is a young man's game.

Yeah, been reading AFTER I joined up for the program. Apparently, chefs all over hate hiring culinary students cuz they have this higher sense of self/higher ego. I can see it too whenever I watch shows like Eat Street or Carnival Eats where trained-chefs sound like bitchy mofos.

>Just started as a dishey

Unless you got some prior industry experience your looking at at least a year of dish before moving up to prep cook let alone anything on the line.

Been a chef for 7 years, 8 in November. And yeah being a chef it is easy to end up cucked. But if you're smart and don't drink the "you must work 15 hours a day for fuck all money because food is your passion" flavored cool aid then you can make it just fine. There are a bunch of ways to make the profession work in your favor once you have a decent skill set.

>go fuck yourself pathetic cucks
LOL you got cucked and didn't you? Or are you a waiter that fucked something up and got torn apart? Oh well, better you than me.

>LeBlue
For people with too much money
>salary is a good idea in the kitchen industry...it's not.
unless you're at the top earning 150k+ salary in hospo is only mildly better than prison time.

Replace cook with any highly creative, competitive work. Artists are cucks, craftsmen are cooks, writers, etc.

I know, I'm willing to put in my time though.
I also have the option of working at a chain and being trained as prep right away. Right now I'm working at a gastro pub, but there aren't any openings for prep any time soon.

Oh yeah, I forgot restaurants don't exist.

>is there more cucked professional choice than being chef?
>now keep in mind, i am not meaning this in a sexual way
stop using that word then

>learn a skill that I can use in my day to day life
>something that anybody on earth will appreciate and respect
>never have to worry about not having a job because everyone is always eating
>plenty of potential for opening your own business
>prep work is calm and relaxing
>cook work is challenging and engaging
>get to make people happy every day

Not everyone ends up happy though.

>automation happens
>robots will be able to cook anything

No it's because they're slags you stupid virgin

The part you missed is that you didn't have to make a profession out of it and could have just kept it as a hobby. Even worse if you paid for culinary school. Most people end up hating hobbies they turn into jobs.

epic meme and quality implications my friend

>robots will be able to cook anything

I don't think we have much to worry about right now.

I beseech any working chef or sous chef to take the hours they work and multiply it by $15, then compare that to your phoned in salary paycheck.

Get back to me.

>Portland

Portland has some great food, but ironically it's mostly in strip clubs. Go figure. They also have TONS of homeless people, so if you're working there you're basically working shoulder to shoulder with a pile of junkies.

they love food and they're good at cooking so it's their lot in life whether they're some rock star chef with a show or a celebrated restaurant or some nobody. there are some people who just have to cook to survive, it's their destiny whether they like it or not.

unfortunately you're basically right. I quit cooking to be a software developer. I only cook for fun now.

Idk dude, the best souvlaki I ever had was from a literal hole in the wall in Portland, OR (it was a window in a wall but you could see the vertical spit and the fat greasy greek cutting slices off of it) in the skid row area. You stood on the sidewalk and ate it. To top it off, some guy came along offering to sell us weed, "try it first to see if you like it." Good times. I have nothing but fond memories of Portland.

>waiter
head dishwasher. Fuck chefs

same.

used to work in a higher class italian restaurant. 11 hours a day, only sunday off, they pay was far below standard and touching a pan was out of the question because that was "real chef" business. did all the shitty work, always super tired.

being a chef is a shit job, getting there is humiliating and unsatisfying. the pay is always terrible, the working hours are bullshit and you have to compete with a shit ton of other people because it's one of the most basic jobs a human being can do and earn a living off. it's not worth it at all unless you own a place, have a good concept or decent location with lots of passing-by and regular customers, good quality food and standards you and your staff can live up to, also preferably waters who aren't on coke or speed

professional chef here. why does so many waitresses want to fuck me? anyone else also experienced this?

Yeah yeah yeahhhh, but where can drug users go for employments?

>tfw would love to be chef
>dont want to deal with the bitter druggie asshole bullies that fill most kitchens
>dont want to be yelled at
>dont want shit thrown at me

I could easily be a chef if it wasnt for the co-workers.

>tfw no restaurant to hire me just to do prep work by myself and leave before the others show up

>would get us to clock out and keep working.

Document every extra hour you work, gather some proof and witnesses (they'll have turn over so this shouldn't be difficult) then when you quit you can sue for up to 3 years of backpay in burgerland.

What about becoming a personal chef?

Or working in catering?

I have a little experience in food service, but I know I can't handle working in a kitchen.

or people who just want to be able to come to work high or drunk. so long as you do your job and do it well then you can get away with murder

catering is just as bad or worse than restaurant work if it's a good company then they'll be busy as shit. send out three different lunches for fifty people each, then do plated service for a thousand people that evening. been there done that

because as a chef you have the bad boy thing goin on, and on top of that they know you're employed

This. I work seven hours a day (except for Tuesdays which are 13 hours), five days a week (six if I want to get some extra OT but it's entirely at my discretion). This is the third kitchen that I've run and I make about $50,000 with the option to pick up extra cash for doing catering gigs for our parent company. It isn't a ton of money but I live in a city with a low cost of living and being single with no kids I'm quite comfortable. Being a chef is like any trade, there are good gigs and bad gigs and plenty of money to be made but you have to make yourself worth it and keep moving till you find what you want.

Working catering gigs is easy. Prepping catering gigs is balls.

>amerilards

you probably weren't very good.

been working in kitchens 14 years, im almost 30. parts of it suck, it is long hours and my feet do hurt, it's hot and sweaty. my girlfriend makes more money than i do and she's 22. when i drank i drank too much, but i don't anymore.

but it's also awesome. ive eaten more caviar than russian oligarchs, had my share of 7/8/9/10 out of 10 waitresses hostess bartenders, not to mention there is not a chick on earth that won't fuck me after i make her dinner. i can say literally anything i want, hr is a joke, i taste cool stuff, cooking is fun and pretty to watch.

the whole kitchen confidential top chef it's all booze and yelling is pretty overblown. almost nobody yells and screams, any chef i know who is any good is training for a marathon or a century and eats pretty healthy. it takes dedication but it's not the 20 hr days six days a week, even at the top of the food chain.

i don't make a shitload of money but i can afford a nice cozy apt in manhattan, have time to lift and train bjj, go to work, make some thing cool and tasty, flirt with guests, get six hours of sleep. i view the money i don't make as a tax i pay to enjoy my life and my work. and for now, it's worth it

if you can't handle a 10-12 workday you're kind of a pussy bros

will you hire me to peel potatoes I gave up on the dream 4 years ago but now I need money

sure. don't need potatoes peeled but will probably need a new dishwasher, unlike most kitchens we treat our dishwashers like human beings

Why do people love using the word cuck so much nowadays?

Why?

Was a cook for five years.
The only people who can make it long term in a kitchen are either total misfits or people who have absolutely no regard for their own well-being, often both.

Also there's that universal thing that if your hobby becomes a job then most of the time you'll stop enjoying it.

Man, that person tipped way too much by about $15.86

I cant imagine why anyone would choose to do food service.
For tens of thousands of years, preparing food was done exclusively by women, while men were left to pursue loftier goals. Men do not belong in the kitchen at all.

Probably because good dishwashers are ridiculously hard to come by and treating them decently helps you keep them around/ keeps them giving a shit about their job

what do you do faggot

pimple faced lard asses on /pol/ made it popular

cooking isn't hard. anyone can learn how to do it in like a week. the job sucks because it's easy to learn. that's how every trade is OP, sorry.

Of course, the standard "dollar•hour" unit.

>if you can't handle a 10-12 workday you're kind of a pussy bros
Youre right lets just go back to the 19th century where workers were essentially indentured slaves. Additionally every piece of credible economic data in the world disagrees with you, ofc you are american so all you can think of is muh hardwork, muh dedication.

>ofc you are american so all you can think of is muh hardwork, muh dedication.
Better than being a yuro whose highest possible aspiration is not doing shit.

>a year in the dish pit

What? I did

My take home is much more than that because I get paid hourly with overtime at 55 hours a week or so, and I'm making more than $15 an hour

So uh

>often both
that hit a little close to home, user

I'm confused. Are you implying that making x amount of dollars per hour isn't a standard practice? Because that IS pretty standard

I think I was in my first dish pit for about 3 months when the pastry chef came over and said "my prep guy just got fired, you're working for me now."

Protip, get your dish section sorted, neat, cleaned up. Go and ask someone if they need a hand with anything.

It might be something menial. It might be grabbing something from a coolroom, whatever. Build trust and relations. Don't just expect to be put on prep one day without making the effort.

why are 99% of dishwashers mexican?

>this fuckin guy
you wouldn't last a minute in a kitchen
it's very hard work for no pay.

you fucked up.
Get out while you can. You're still very young.
You fell for the food network meme.

I never hire culinary students. I hire experienced cooks. The worst cooks I've ever worked with were "chefs". They're terrible, and they're all uppity and narcissistic.

Don't work at a chain, user.
The worst places I worked were chains. Although, one of them was one of the busiest restaurants in Canada and it made me a better cook. The manager was like Ramsey on hells kitchen though.

Moderate thread hijacking:

How the fuck do I get hired in this industry? I applied at 3 local taphouses to do fucking garnish prep (frying onion rings, caramelizing onions for burgers, etc) and they say I don't have any experience but it's like literally what do I do to get my foot in the door at a place like this.

No this isn't any kind of high end place.

>head dishwasher

apply as a dishwasher
although, there are a lot of managers like me who don't hire anyone with no experience.

Is this another classic case of "need experience to get job" and "need job to get experience"?

[spoiler] Yes I know I'm generalizing

No, he's an autistic first year stem student who is playing dumb that when you said $15 you didn't implicitly mean $15/hour because $/hr * hr = $ but $ * hr = $hr

I wouldn't know about that, as I'm Australian. Most of my dishies have been either Czech/Russian/Estonian, Korean and rarely fellow Aussies.

do you have experience with croatian dishwashers or kitchen workers in general? how are they? i've got a couple applying for the job at my restaurant but i always went with greeks as they were good.

Pretty much, Waitresses in catering are real hot. They look 20 and you wouldn't suspect a thing until she casually mentions she has kids.

Honestly, you sound like an insufferable faggot. The fact you have to low key brag about being a pussy slaying chef on Veeky Forums to justify your shit job is amazing and interesting.

excuse me my highest aspiration is earning the respect of my family
I'm not there yet

>Worked in a kitchen for a little over a year while on a break from school
>Never fucked any of the qt servers
>Lost virginity to call girl two years later

In all fairness, the other cooks didn't get any action and they would harass the fuck out of the girls. They actually had respect for me because I never would hit on them (odd time I told them I like their hairstyle or how they did their makeup, which they found sweet)

Think of it like prison, if you get treated like a bitch, and don't stand up for yourself, they'll just be more cruel to you. If they tell, yell back

>>get to make people happy every day
HAAAAAAAAAAH

Customers are the most selfish, ignorant, self absorbed and angry pieces of shit in existence

Yes. Basically, don't expect to get a job cooking unless you got a degree. Either work in fast food or submit to dishwashing

But, chefs can also be customers in other restaurants.

And those are usually the worst customers.

>implying getting your MD is easy
>...however RN isn't a bad choice

Got mixed signals here user

>Most chefs are fucking idiots who think a salary is a good idea in the kitchen industry.

No one thinks Salary is a good idea except owners and managers who can use it to work their employee's more and pay them less.