Painstakingly peel prickly pears

>painstakingly peel prickly pears
>finally sweet juicy prickly pears with no thorns
>tfw all the thorns are on my tongue and all over my mouth

HELP ME Veeky Forums!
How the fuck do I get them off? this shit is irritating as fuck, I cant sleep.
Pic related, its the fucking criminal.

aren't they sold with the thorns removed?

My grandma always seared the outside of the fruit a couple to burn them off

I'm so sorry user. I only know how awful they are outside of my mouth.

You can roast them on a fire, burns them off. Rubbing them with sand does it too.

OP here, eating bread helped a bit but I still feel like there is a couple more inside that I just cant seem to get rid of.
Lesson learned.

>WHOS A BAD BOY WHOS A BAD BOY?

Never had a prickly pear. Am I missing out, besides pain?

what does prickly pear taste like...is it worth it?

It's my favorite fruit by far. If you can find fresh pre-peeled ones, you're in for one fucking treat.
Probably the sweetest fruit in the world.

Even if you get rid of all of them, you'll still feel them. You're fucked. Next time grab them by the top and bottom, no thorns there.

Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw, when you pick a pear, try to use the claw

It tastes like sort of a more sugary, dry watermelon. I avoid touching them completely. I usually use tongs or fork and knife to handle it.

It's okay but not at all worth it.

damn, it's really easy to peel prickly pears, how could you fuck it up? troll?

the act of peeling it gets thorns everywhere too. ive never burned them off but that sounds far more logical

Maybe I am thinking of a different cactus fruit, but can't you just cut it in half and eat the flesh with a spoon, instead of peeling it?

I never had it, but if I obtained one, Id roast it on an open fire. Singe the shit out of em and take steel wool to it.

This happened to me as a kid and now I refuse to eat that fucking bullshit fruit every again. It's so fucking irritating.

I've never tried it but apparently you can blend them whole then filter through cheesecloth and none of the hairs will get through to the juice.

You're supposed to get over this kind of dumb shit once you grow up, you know

>he doesn't use a flame to remove the thorns before eating

Jesus Christ, Veeky Forums.

If you fill your mouth with cooking oil and swish it around and gargle it should get rid of the spines.

I'd use olive oil because it doesn't taste too bad.

Wouldnt the flames alter the taste?
It aint fresh if it was coocked on a fire.

They don't get t hat hot if you have some experience doing it a while. The one in that image is incorrect if you don't want to heat up the flesh. You just hold it to the side of the flame instead.

Its good, but it has its drawbacks. The red/purple ones have a berry/watermelon flavor but its faint. The green/yellow ones have a more vegetal and cucumber flavor profile. The major drawback for most people are the glocchids and the seeds.

You can singe the glocchids off its not necessary.

1) Use a sharp knife. Cut the top off while still on the cactus. Hold with tongs. Cut the bottom. Make a verticle incision.pry open. It should release pretty easy.

2) The seeds are a problem because they are really hard. Just take careful bites. And use your molars to crush the seeds slowly.

Btw second tip also applies to guavas.

Why save this image

People take pictures of medical procedures all the time.

Yes but why did you personally save that image. Also whats the medical benefit of a picture of a dog with porcupine quills in its face

Not him, but before/after medical pics are common to show the progression of healing and to teach others. As to why user saved it? That's a story for another time.

oh god poor baby pupper

Came here to say this nice trips too

But you don't need to use the paw when you pick the pear of the big Pa-Pa

Damn OP... When I was 11 I made the mistake of grabbing one of those unpeeled, but never fucked up like that.

Salt water might help? Idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯