So, I dinged up the edge if my ceramic knife on the pit of a mango...

So, I dinged up the edge if my ceramic knife on the pit of a mango. I'm looking into sharpeners to sharpen it back up again. What diamond sharpeners does Veeky Forums use to sharpen their knives? And recommendations for edge guides? Thinking about going with pic related kit for 60$. It does with corse, fine, extra fine, extra extra fine diamond sharpeners with the extra extra fine being 8000 mesh and an edge guide. Some of the reviews are saying that the guide is only good for smaller knives.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uQOnMVnstfE
amazon.com/Kyocerca-Advanced-Ceramic-Electric-Sharpener/dp/B002R90N7W
amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary-Genesis-7-Inch-Santoku/dp/B000IBVD4I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506287796&sr=8-2&keywords=mercer santoku
youtube.com/watch?v=Z9DPlIZct_0&list=PLsSxXLQSZIe__A5THcrFGto9_PSkXWiN6&index=17
harborfreight.com/4-sided-diamond-hone-block-92867.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why bother when $60 can get you a three piece set with a lifetime warranty?

>ceramic knife

>ceramic knife

You have limited choice when it comes to sharpening then.

Regular water whetstones won't work on ceramic blades. You pretty much have to go with something diamond particle-based.

The one you have in the picture appears to be made by DMT, a reputable diamond-particle sharpening supplies company, but the set-up seems rather clunky, and the reviews are probably right (the whole thing seems kinda small).

Large diamond sharpening plates from DMT go for more than $70 each and some can go over $200.

Great answer.

Why pay $10 to mail a Kyocera when you could buy a new Kiwi?

this but I also would like to add that sharpeners like in your image work great for steel knives. you can use large knives with it, but you'll probably have to re-position the blade since on larger knives it will only reach part of it.

what kind of fuck up sharpens ceramic knives?

They're done in one, dipshit.

Going to get hate, but whatever.
This is a great system if you don't feel all zen about sharpening your blades.
Idiot proof. Fast. Accurate.
I got shapton glass stones with mine.
340-6000. I'd like to get a 10k at some point, but I'm happy with my purchase.

Just bin it user, or keep using it with the chip. It will take days until you have removed enough material to make the chip disappear. And afterwards the knife will be way thicker behind the edge than such knives already are and cut like a chisel.

Thanks user. I think the guy may have been trying to sharpen a really large one because I've found reviews talking about sharpening 6-8" knives with it so it should be plenty for kitchen knives. It does have over all really good reviews. Only thing I'm disliking about it right now is that setting the angle isn't terribly precise as the angle that each setting is varies with the width of the blade so you aren't going to get each knife say exactly 15 degrees.

Because then I can keep all of my knives super sharp.

That's what I'm thinking. I'll be able to keep all of my knives super sharp with it since it goes up to 8000mesh.

Thanks user. I'll look into that one.

Because I just bought it two days ago. And the largest chip is only 1/4th of a mm so I guess a better word would be a ding. Maybe I should return it but I feel like it would be unethical since it was my fault since I cut half way through the mango's pit before I realized it.

Op here again. I'm considering going with pic related now for a guide instead. Anyone use anything like these before?

These I only 10$ so I'm just going to get some of these and use the diamond sharpening stones for my guitar frets. The ones for my guitar frets are 600 grit and then 1200 grit. Will those be high enough grit? Should I grab a 8000 grit one as well?

>ceramic knife
Those things are terrible. Can't even cut wood.

youtube.com/watch?v=uQOnMVnstfE

Kyocera makes a ceramic knife sharpener, but they make no guarantees about being able to sharpen ceramic knives they didn't make themselves or being able to grind down a chip.

amazon.com/Kyocerca-Advanced-Ceramic-Electric-Sharpener/dp/B002R90N7W

>throw shit ceramic knives away
>buy good steel knives

amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary-Genesis-7-Inch-Santoku/dp/B000IBVD4I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506287796&sr=8-2&keywords=mercer santoku

youre welcome OP

How do I sharpen my regular ass steel knives? I got a whetstone but I'm worried about fucking my (admittedly cheap) knives into a useless state. Do I just grind down one side at the angle I want and then the other?

Let Vincent from Korin Japanese Trading teach you.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z9DPlIZct_0&list=PLsSxXLQSZIe__A5THcrFGto9_PSkXWiN6&index=17

just fucking toss it op. do you want ceramic shard in your fucking food?

I managed to sharpen some kyocerca knives today with this cheap harbor freight diamond block harborfreight.com/4-sided-diamond-hone-block-92867.html . At least, I managed to smooth over 10 years of dings and chips along the edge. The knives aren't push-cut-newspaper-and-arm-hair sharp, but I dunno whether that's because of my shit sharpening skills or the fact that the finest grit that block has is 600. It definitely takes longer to remove material than metal, and the lack of a burr while sharpening is disconcerting, but it's worth a try I guess.

Yeah 600 grit isn't enough.

>ceramic knife

you can't sharpen that, faggot. buy some real knives.

>you can't sharpen that, faggot.
Yes you can.

>x50CrMoV15
>good steel
No