Soup season!

A couple of weeks back I went to Olive Garden and had their zuppa toscana and decided I wanted to making it on my own. After dragging my feet for a while, the weather helped me along. It went from hitting the mid-80s in the afternoon to dropping to almost freezing in the space of a couple of weeks.

I guessed on the ingredients and the process but it turned out having slightly better favor and a much more pleasing ratio of ingredients. Here's my recipe, but post your soups and recipes for the fall and winter season!

1lb ground Italian sausage
3-4 medium potatoes, cut in half and then sliced
1 leek, quartered and chopped (or 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced)
3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
1 bunch of kale, stems removed and chopped into 1” pieces
2 cups of chicken broth or stock
2-3 cups of water
1.5 cups of milk
Salt
Pepper
Red pepper flakes

Heat a 4-quart skillet or pot over medium high heat. Pour in a splash of olive oil, get it heated, then add your Italian sausage, stirring occasionally until browned and bits are stuck to the bottom of your pan. Pull it out and set it aside to drain.

Add the onion or leek in the same pan. Season with salt and pepper and sautee for 3-4 minutes or until tender and fragrant. Add your diced garlic and stir for another minute.

Add your potatoes, cooked sausage, chicken broth, and water, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. Cover and simmer approximately 15 minutes.

Check for flavor here. In my attempt I seasoned with pepper flakes earlier and underestimated how much heat would come out of the sausage. Taste it and adjust your seasoning/spice as needed.

Add the kale, cover and cook for about 10 minutes under tender.

Add the milk, stir and bring to a simmer. Thicken lightly with corn starch or instant potatoes.

Top with some freshly grated parmesan then EAT THAT YUMMY SHIZ.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4KVjlynfNH4&t=211s
budgetbytes.com/2015/01/slow-cooker-white-chicken-chili/
foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/leek-potato-soup-recipe-1916145
taste.com.au/recipes/pumpkin-soup/e54ab2b5-7d19-4e4b-b383-781292dc4bfb
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I just can't bring myself to make soup in a saute pan even if it is a good choice if you're cooking for one.

CAN'T DO IT

Reminds me of that shitty ad video Jamie Oliver uploaded today.

youtube.com/watch?v=4KVjlynfNH4&t=211s

I get it. The only soup-sized pots I have are non-stick because I live in BFE and there aren't many good choices. A restaurant supply store recently opened up in a neighboring town, though, and I've slowly been improving the quality and quantity of my kitchen supplies. A good soup pot is gonna be one of my next purchases.

you dont make soup in a sauce pan. it reduces too fast. you are correct, OP is an idiot, unless he learns from us, in which case he is a genius.

nailed it. when i heard zuppa toscana, i thought of ribollita. it truly is the best soup ever. gotta have the olive oil.

Damn, that does look pretty good! There's a NYT recipe I found that finishes it with the bread on top with cheese almost like a french onion soup, I think I might prefer that to mixing in the bread. Thoughts?

Hey man, doing what I could with what I had. I get what you're saying and will correct when I can.

Adding this to my recipe card collection for the future, thanks op

I guess this counts as a soup. I made a white chicken chili and the recipe is here:

budgetbytes.com/2015/01/slow-cooker-white-chicken-chili/

I added a green bell pepper to it.

Bowling

YW, I hope it comes out as great for you as it did for me!

Looks good, how does it taste? I'd probably add a little more meat to the recipe but that looks hearty as hell. Any modifications to the recipe that you'd suggest?

The recipe states that it's for a slow cooker but it's just as good simmering on the stove for one hour.

other than adding a green bell pepper, I wouldn't change anything. The seasoning and spices were spot on and I didn't have to adjust anything.

Chicken and noodle soup I make

Sweat carrots onion and garlic adding dried mixed herbs and a pinch of brown sugar.

Add chicken stock (about 1.5-2 litres)
Add about 2-3 tblsp of dark and 2-3 of light soy sauce

Add a pinch of cayenne, sweetcorn, rice noodles, cooked shredded chicken, salt and pepper.

Cook for 7-8 minutes

Taste and further season with soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste.

Bacon and bean soup

Fry up bacon

Remove fat from pan but leave enough for next step.

Sweat down carrots, onion and celery.

Add 2tblsp of tomato purée and cook for 2 mins

Add back in bacon

Add 1.5 litres of stock (chicken, ham or veg)

(Optional to add a tin of chopped tomatoes)

Add in beans of choice

Season with 1tsp of smoked paprika, a pinch of cayenne, 1 bay leaf and herbs.

Simmer covered for 1 hours on low heat.

My easiest soup recipe which requires no skill:

Roughly chop up carrots and onions then peel garlic and put them all in the pot.

Add chicken to pot (breast, thigh, a mixture- who cares?)

Add in a mixture of half chicken stock and half water.

Season with salt, pepper and herbs
Pour some olive oil over

Bring to boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.

Cook until chicken is cooked through.

Add some small pasta shells and serve when pasta is well cooked (not Al Denté)

Thanks user!

Sure thing. Hope you enjoy if you try

Appreciate the contributions, I've got my eye on that bacon and bean soup you posted.

that sounds shitty.
na that weird shit da bomb some time.

Last winter, I found the best recipe for Pasta e Fagiole that I'd ever, ever had. And I wanted to make some this week to celebrate the beginning of fall, but damn it FUCK I can't find the recipe I used. Now I'm going to have to search for it. I'm pissed. It wasn't any old recipe, it was a really great one, specifically fantastic.

If you remember that it was so fantastic that it made you gush, why the fuck can't you at least tell us what made it so special and maybe we could help you, you simpering faggot.

Got some anger issues, don't 'cha, tardfart? Take your issues elsewhere, shortbus.

No one asked for your help, you piece of shit.

I love me some pasta e fagiole. It's a damn shame it doesn't store well though. The pasta just soaks up all the broth.

Dude, you make the fagioli, remove what you don't want that day and freeze or put in the refridgerator and add your pasta to the amount you want that day.

My recipe isn't exact, and it's more of a season-as-you-go affair, but here's how I make a nice black bean shrimp soup:

One (15 ounce) can of black beans, a zesty flavored kind if you want. I couldn't find plain ones for a reasonable price last time, so I used some with jalapenos
At least one pound of shrimp
Chicken stock - pretty much however is enough for your desired soup consistency
One or two limes
FRESH cilantro
Sour cream or crema mexicana if you want to be fancy
Like half a white or yellow onion
Two cloves garlic
Chili powder, salt, pepper, cumin, and optional garlic and/or onion powder
A little bit of oil
Optional: Corn. I usually forget it, so it's optional.

Peel your shrimps, and marinate them, if desired.
Cook the onions, then add beans and broth to the pan, along with seasonings and the juice of one lime. Let that cook on, say, medium low for twenty or thirty minutes. Stir and taste test every now and then, and add seasoning and additional lime juice as needed.
After you feel like your soup has souped enough, turn the heat up to medium high and add the shrimp and some cilantro.
When the shrimp has cooked through (it curls up into itself and turns pink, basically), remove the pot from the stove.
Add chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream to each bowl, and serve with some crusty bread for dipping. Super simple, super delicious. Also pretty low calorie, if you're watching your girlish figure

foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/leek-potato-soup-recipe-1916145

*mic drop*

Creamy corn soup

Finely chop onions, garlic and carrots, sweat them. Add a can of corn with the brine and enough veg stock to cover, add your salt, pepper, ground coriander seeds, a splash of soy sauce and cook the ever loving fuck out if it. Blend, than add cream, another can and some chilli flakes to taste. Simmer and serve, garnish with bacon bits and chopped spring onion.

This looks good, user.

>88 degrees outside
> soup season

Is cereal in milk a type of soup?

Is there a decent way to combine a beef chili with some rice? It seems like it would be good to me but its not presentable to the group I'm cooking for

That's how we eat it in Southeast Texas. It's just normal here.

Yeah I knew it was a southern thing, but I'm in Minnesota. It's a nice cool rainy day so it sounded perfect but I don't think the folks up here would be terribly keen on rice in chili.

Had the soup today and I was impressed. Bumping for awareness.

You know the flavor best, what would you think about some shrimp stock with the shells and mixing that together with the chicken stock (or replacing it entirely)? Looks pretty solid but wanted to throw that question out there.

Thank you!

It's almost as if different places have different weather!

Who are you cooking for? If it's for friends or family, why not just serve some rice on the side with a couple of other options? I love chili over a steaming bowl of white rice, but your other guests could choose to have it plain or with crackers or some cornbread depending on their preference.

I'm pleased to hear! Thanks for commenting how it turned out. Did you make any modifications to the recipe I posted?

To clarify regarding , I went to Olive Garden and tried it there. I have a Pasta Pass for the next 8 weeks so I've been trying out the different soup, salad, and pasta combinations. I have only tried that soup and the Chicken & Gnocchi thus far, but both have impressed me.

>he doesn't have soup even in the summer

Ah, fair enough. If you like it enough to give the recipe a try, I think you'll enjoy it. The flavor is really close and the version I posted has more meat and potatoes than you'll find in what they serve you at OG.

soup it

French Onion - Nontraditional

In a large broth pot, add:
-1 charred onion halve (yellow preferred)
-Thyme
-2-3 bay leaves
-3-4 garlic cloves
-100 ml soy sauce
-0.5 kg beef bone (this can vary in quantity and type, however make sure you get ones with marrow)

Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 4-5 hours.

In a dutch oven, add:
-butter
-yellow onion, sliced into wedges (depending on the size, if they are larger, I will portion 1 onion halve per person)
-black pepper
-brown sugar

Caramelize the onions, (this will take about 30-45 minutes, but we'll cheat with the sugar) and let them rest with the heat turned off oce this is done. When the broth is finished and to your taste, begin straining it into the caramelized onion.

To serve, lay a piece of bread (doesnt need to be baguette, but should be a THICC cut) and Gruyere slices on top of that (this needs to be Gruyere unfortunately). Put this in the oven on broil until the cheese begins to brown and bubble.

wa la

>100 ml soy sauce
That's no way enough liquid. You need stock in there or water at least.

Get out.

Looks great. Definitely gonna make it when it gets a little cooler down here in Tennessee. Thanks for the recipe, man.

Im sorry, but this was implied. Sometimes I mistakenly assume that Veeky Forums actually has the skills to prepare a meal.

Having said that, everyone should be skeptical about any broth recipe as the process is really kitchen and taste specific.

soop bamp

Well, gonna get a lot of hate. I have spent a shit ton of time in countries that have a lower cost of living that is usual in most Western countries.
There is a lot of unpresedated hate. There is also a lot of love, too.
I've spent years traveling through Burma, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam. And I don't mean high volume cities; I live as I report. We spend time in small rural communities. Rice is boiled. I'm sure you have a "perfect" way of cooking it, but we're talking about getting it done quickly and feeding the tribe.
Anyhows, I'm back in the states and am making what I learned to make from back world ppl.
The Prime Minister of Thailand made a video of coconut milk soup with salmon.
I'm here in the states using the ingredients that are available to me to create a soup. That is what ppl in a closed community would do. Salmon would be an ingredient only the well-off could afford.

Just tried making pumpkin soup for the first time, how did I do?

I'm lowering my carb intake, what can I replace potatoes with?

Also you should consider a little nutmeg and some mushrooms, it seems like it would suit that very well.

Recipe for those who want it as well.
taste.com.au/recipes/pumpkin-soup/e54ab2b5-7d19-4e4b-b383-781292dc4bfb

>you should consider a little nutmeg and some mushrooms
Well, mushrooms. Daikon radish can be a potato replacement.
Really, I fortify soups that I want to eat with copious amounts of cauliflower/broccoli/daikon and the like.
Truely, daikon radish is the potato substitute.

looks nice, good job