Why is smoked salmon so expensive?

Why is smoked salmon so expensive?

Why is fish disgusting if prepared any way other than raw or smoked?

Why is the sky blue? Why do the tides come in and out? Only god knows these things.

Please don't mention G*d in a bait thread.

Labor involved plus quality of ingredients. They don't make smoked salmon from shitty salmon.

>please don't mention G*d in a bait thread

Have I just witnessed baitception?

smoked salmon is so good

Pickled fish can be quite good as well. So can dishes made from salt cod if the person making them knows how to treat the ingredient.

what's wrong with fried salmon? great in salad desu

well cured sausages are more expensive than fresh sausages right? That $.70 italian sausage link turns into a $6 charcuterie sausage because they cure and age it. Well fresh salmon is $12/lb then they cure and process it. Use your head dummy

Oy vey!

Right. Time is money, so the longer it takes to make something the more expensive it will be. An unremarkable bottle of wine from last year is pretty affordable. A bottle good enough to sport a couple decades' bottle age while only improving will be crazy expensive.

i sprinkle black pepper and galic salt on smoked salmon and throw it in oven for it to dry up for a great sandwich

Curing also reduces water weight

I'm assuming you don't eat much fish.

Gib ashkenazi gf
>hates heebs

>Why is smoked salmon so expensive?
Because salmon is expensive
>Why is fish disgusting if prepared any way other than raw or smoked?
It isn't, grow up

bill o'reilly pls go and stay go

Why is it so easy to detect a pleb?

>thread about smoked salmon
>picture of gravlax

>smoked salmon is so good
Bacon is p gud

I don't know why YOU think fish is disgusting if not raw or smoked.

Gravlax is infinitely better anyway so I'm not even mad

I think you mean

>why is smoked salmon so expensive in the usa

Here in the UK its £4 for the same amount that would cost $11.

At Walmart in the canned fish section they have canned smoke salmon. Pretty good, but it's hot smoked not cold smoked so it's not like lox or anything. Still good.

it's mostly the water weight, traditional aging tends to be easy
like, why is shitty chuck steak $3 a pound and shitty all-beef jerky $15 a pound?
because it takes 4 pounds of raw meat to make it, only $3 of that price is aging + spicing + added packaging + memefood tax

>Veeky Forums pass

sky isn't blue. it's cyan

They're the same and nothing you say will convince me otherwise. Same goes for bacon and pancetta.

Salmon is one of the cheapest fish in the USA, farmed salmon is $3-4 a pound and fresh can be had for $1 or $2 from roadside injuns

That must depend heavily on where you live in the US. You'd easily pay double that price for farmed salmon where I live, and Indians selling fresh caught salmon by the roadside is definitely not a thing around here. Probably due to the complete and utter lack of wild salmon within hundreds lof miles.

I can only speak for the US, but it's expensive here because it's a unique prep for salmon viewed by almost everyone as being some magical preparation that only a corporation can achieve when in reality it's very fresh salmon sides rubbed with a mixture of salt and sugar, sprinkled with aquavit or vodka with dill sprigs placed in between, wrapped tightly with some weight put on top and placed in the refigerator for 48 hours.

It costs me the price of flown in fresh salmon, salt, sugar, sprinkles of alcohol and a sharp knife to slice. Virtually the same price as fresh salmon if you're not lazy or retarded.

Why is the best thing someone can say about fish is that it doesn't taste fishy?

cause fish a shit

single advantage of fish over normal meat is that I can eat it raw