Hi Veeky Forums, I'm doing mac&cheese for diner

Hi Veeky Forums, I'm doing mac&cheese for diner
As i've never done it i'm looking for the best recipe
I've seen a lot of them and they are all different, some are done with flour, some with eggs, some with concentrated milk.

Any leads?

Other urls found in this thread:

lovefood.com/recipes/59519/marco-pierre-whites-macaroni-cheese-with-soft-boiled-eggs-recipe
youtube.com/watch?v=vPO-wOlpN9I
iamafoodblog.com/creamy-stovetop-jalapeno-broccoli-mac-and-cheese-recipe/
youtube.com/watch?v=RDlhpgiTYl4
modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Start with the standard roux based bechamel sauce, add good cheese, combine with slightly undercooked pasta, then bake in casserole topped with Parmesan and buttered panko.
You can watch the video recipes from Chef John or Alton Brown for details.

Do this Very little can go wrong. You could even omit the breadcrumbs.

thanks, those vids are really informative.
I guess I bought the concentrated milk for nothing then

lovefood.com/recipes/59519/marco-pierre-whites-macaroni-cheese-with-soft-boiled-eggs-recipe

This one is good. Just use salted water instead of the stock pot.

Not those guys, but I use canned milk to make bechamel and other creamy sauces all the time. It's an inexpensive pantry staple that works fantastic for bechamel, gravy (like for biscuits&gravy), in creamy soups like potato, etc. So, you didn't waste your money. If you don't want to use it for your bechamel, just hold onto it for something else.

I really love the buttered Panko and Parmesan on top, it adds great crunchy texture contrast to the soft gooey part. Of course you can skip it, but its highly recommended by me. Broil it for a few minutes until its toasted brown, but watch it like a hawk because it can burn very fast.

>hi Veeky Forums, im eating fat&processed carbs for dinner

eat some vegetables you fat fuck.

You have no idea whatsoever if OP is serving vegetables on the side.

Thank you for your sperglord contribution to the thread though, very helpful.

Will try then, thanks, thought I'm not really sure about what it adds beside additionnal calories.

I value texture contrast, thanks for the advice on the burning issue

I'm a 188cm for 80kg european grown man that cooks all his meals and wanted to make his wife and two daughters taste an unbalanced american meal for the sake of culture and pleasure.
Thank you for your kind concern, here's your (you).

I'm making this tonight, you should too. I r8 8/8 no d8
youtube.com/watch?v=vPO-wOlpN9I

>grown man
>wife and kids
>on Veeky Forums

lol

the processing of evaporated milk combined with the stabilisers added help cheese to emulsify into the sauce

>sauce shitters
Every single time. Just do a good bake with good cheese and a bit of milk.

Use the canned milk in the recipe in place of some of the ordinary milk. It can only make it richer and creamier.
NEVER attempt to make a low calorie mac & cheese. Its simply not a low calorie dish. Every time you skimp on the rich ingredients you make it worse. So go all out and make a super rich recipe. You dont eat this daily.

Yes, sauce you faggot. You cant just melt cheese on pasta and expect a good result. Your cooking sucks.
Post a picture of the awesome way that you do it, and the rest of the internet can judge it.

Will do, thanks

Ashley Christensens pooles diner Mac and cheese is the best I've had.

why would you use anything other than knorr stock pots to help season your pasta??

WEEOWEEO

FOOD POLICE COMING THROUGH

Why would it add additional calories????

PLEASE, tell me you bought EVAPORATED milk, NOT condensed milk! Condensed milk is extremely sweet and is used for baking and other desserts. You want Evaporated milk for cooking with.

You need stewed tomatoes for god-tier mac & cheese. The acidity and tartness balances the creaminess. Don't bother with croutons though. They always go soggy and miss the point of having croutons at all.

baking is okay, but make sure that the oil doesn't separate from the cheese, cream, milk, butter, whatever you're your recipe uses.
OIly mac and cheese is no good.
Baking is mostly for the crust.
Stovetop preserves the cheese flavor much better. A few minutes under the broiler might be a better option.

You're talking about sweetened condensed milk

Throw in some mixins playa. Brocolli is the greatest melted cheese sponge in the land. Jalapenos or chorizo can give it a mild kick anyone can enjoy.

iamafoodblog.com/creamy-stovetop-jalapeno-broccoli-mac-and-cheese-recipe/

I really love this recipe, quite easy as well. I usually use a 50/50 ratio of aged cheddar and gruyere

Almost all of these bechamel sauce based recipes are coming from yankees that are used to eating the stuff from a box. Proper Southern man 'n' cheese is basically a savory custard.
Start by cooking your elbow macaroni about 3 minutes short of being done. Cool,put in a ziploc bag, and toss with 2-3 tablespoons of flour.
When coated, add to your cassarole dish with as much cheese as you want (I like lots of sharp cheddar and gruyere just like everyone).
Tear off small pieces (smaller than your smallest fingernail) of bread from 2-3 slices of bread and add.
Wisk together 4-6 eggs (i use 6 eggs to 1 lb noodles) with a can of evaporated milk.
Pour the egg /milk mixture over the noodle / cheese / bread piece mixture.
The liquid should come just to the top of the noodles. If you need more liquid, you can use regular milk, evaporated milk, more more egg / milk.
Cover with more cheese and bread buttered breadcrumbs.
Bake at 350F until done. Usually 45-60 minutes.

What they don't want you to know is that the best mac and cheese actually has nothing to do with the actual cheese you put into it. It comes down to adding a shitload of heavy cream and garlic/ownion powder. Real cheese, no matter how quality, will never taste as good as that.

Heat cream and cheese together to make sauce. Add a little mustard, salt, and Tabasco. Stir in cooked pasta. Any other way is faggot tier garbage. If you cant make mac and cheese without milk and stabilizers you're a fucking mong

That sounds like a white trash version of mac and cheese.
If you're going to cut corners, fine, but don't pretend like it makes the dish better.

Don't listen to this chucklefuck if you want any leftovers, unless you want your sauce to look like this.

you're welcome :))))

youtube.com/watch?v=RDlhpgiTYl4

>compromising the deliciousness of a dish to make better 'leftovers'

kys

FPBP

>adding a little bit of butter and flour ruins the dish
You should've been aborted.

Not that guy, but your post just proves how ignorant you are about cooking and the differences in techniques. I assume you also think potatoes au gratin is made with a cheese sauce. Maybe you should experiment with custards, so you can learn more about them. Custard does not mean dessert.

You are a complete faggot. If it was all about the cream and seasonings, it would be called Mac & Cream. Idiot.

I'm aware of what custard is, but I'm not sure what adding it to your mac and cheese is supposed to accomplish.
Mac and cheese is already extremely rich, adding 7 eggs and a gallon of milk is the last thing I want to do.
Take the time to make a proper sauce and bake that shit with breadcrumbs and extra cheese on top, you can thank me later. :)

>I've seen a lot of them and they are all different, some are done with flour, some with eggs, some with concentrated milk.
No eggs. That's a broke person's way to make it gel up without adding more cheese.
Evaporated milk is fine. It's just reduced milk. Adds dairy richness if you are skimping on the cheese. But, not actually necessary.

As this guy said, roux, milk, fold in cheese, fold into drained al dente noodles. Top with more cheese and buttered breadcrumbs before baking. My own tweaks are to add cheese to the bechamel, and also fold in some more chunks of cheese. It adds to the telephone wire effect in italian casseroles to have long stretches of cheese when taking bites. I also saute about 1/2 a finely minced onion into my butter before the roux, and a pinch of cayenne. I bake covered about 20 minutes and uncover the last 16 minutes. It's done when you want, but it also parks in there nicely without overcooking or browning for even longer. My breadcrumbs are homemade and coarse, but panko is also nice. If you bake in pyrex, you can see when the corners are done to your wishes. If you use pasta that is awesome, it goes up a level too, like a cavatappi. Also, two cheeses are better than one. Go for it.

sodium citrate, shit is magic

modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

I have to say that this thread looks aesthetic as fuck in the catalog

Just heat some cream to a simmer then stir your leftovers in. All you have to do to keep a gratin from breaking

No, I won't be "thanking you", and kindly fuck off.
I've been making machine and cheese since you were in diapers. I've made all kinds of mac and cheese, since not only did I grow up with a parent who taught at CIA, but also I worked in numerous restaurants ( not anymore, but that's another story). There's pros and cons to every style of Mac and cheese, but custard style can be fucking wonderful, lighter, delicious, and just as and sometimes more satisfying than the bechamel method. There's also benefits to the fringe methods like pure cream and cheese, or using sodium citrate. You are a stodgy stump post in the annals of cooking. Branch the fuck out.

"Machine and cheese"
That's the most awesome autocorrect my tablet has ever given me, fucking Lol.

Nigga, you dumb.

retard

>standard roux based bechamel sauce
Speak American, faggot. The fuck does that mean?

How did you get in here?

Great comback, dumbass

I've made mac n cheese 100 different ways and the best one I've found is a 5 cheese dish with the binding agent being: VELVEETA!!! That's right, nasty old Velveeta plus eggs will bind the whole dish and no need for finicky bechamel souces.

>"what the fuck did you just say to me you little bitch" tier post
Look, dude, it's fine if you like mac and cheese flavored quiche, but the non-subhumans will be sticking with cheese sauce and bread crumbs.

Will you retards fuck off already? Bechanel isn't even hard to do. Stop acting like a bunch of 40 something soccer moms posting on Facebook.

>I've made mac n cheese 100 different ways and the best one I've found is a 5 cheese dish with the binding agent being: VELVEETA!!! That's right, nasty old Velveeta plus eggs will bind the whole dish and no need for finicky bechamel souces.
You made it 100 times.
You call bechamel finicky.
Hrm.

Kek, you're why amerilardia sucks ass and I'm an amerilard you fucking ignorant Cletus.

The only subhumans in this thread are neanderthal fags like you who think the only way to do something is what you saw on "Good "Eats" mammy boy.

Maybe if you watched a couple episodes of Good Eats you could learn to make Mac and Cheese without a carton of eggs.

DO YOU READ, MOUTH BREATHER?

Nevermind, you're a fucking lost cause. Keep eating your uneducated trash foods.

>bechamel is "uneducated trash food"
Nice one, cleetus.

I am the original poster of the custard style mac 'n' cheese you attempt to "criticize" above.
You definitely show that you lack knowledge of the finer points of making casseroles.
The addition of several eggs (but no where near a gallon of milk you retard closer to 2 cups of evaporated milk) makes a lighter and more velvety texture.
The technique I listed above is basically the equivalent of making a bechamel sauce and then tempering and adding the eggs (did you see that part where you coat the noodles in flour?). The difference here is that the texture is improved when you start with room temperature ingredients in the oven.
The instructions I gave, along with some additions like vidalia onion and nutmeg, are how wealthy Southerners make mac 'n' cheese, e.g. this his how they do it at the Augusta National Golf Club. It finishes as a solid piece on the plate and is extremely rich and decadent.

Bachamel is not hard to make, but that doesn't mean that starting with one is the proper way to make mac 'n' cheese.

I've considered this but a sauce is just too easy. How are the results? I can't expect it'd be that great.

So why not make a proper bechamel instead of using Velveeta like a 1950s housewife.

Heh, I made the "baked custard" and bechamel sauce mac n cheese today. For extra flyover goodness I added spam to it, finely cubed.

I am the user that gave instructions for traditional custard like Southern man 'n' cheese. I wouldn't be caught dead with velveeta in mine.
Why would I want to make pasta in cheese sauce like I was somone one /r9k/'s Mom cooking a box of Kraft (with noodles shaped like Scooby Doo characters)?

I know the south isn't exactly known for it's intelligence but this is just getting embarrassing now.

dat sphere

pretty sure that was b8

I'm bored, so I'll type out my typical recipe.

Boil 16oz of elbow macaroni until just done, drain and set aside. In a saucepan, melt 8oz of butter over medium heat, add 1/4 cup white flour, stirring constantly until just a little color develops. Add 2-3 cups whole milk and turn up the heat a little. When it begins to simmer, turn down heat and keep stirring until it begins to thicken. Add 1/4 tsp mustard powder and 1/4 tsp nutmeg (more or less as you like). As milk has clearly thickened, stir in 16oz of shredded sharp cheddar (or whatever floats your boat) a handful at a time. After all the cheese is melted in, add salt and pepper to taste. This is also where you could throw in some ghetto processed cheese, cream cheese, some hot sauce, or whatever you think will work for you. Add shit slowly and taste it before proceeding.

Butter a large casserole dish, dump the macaroni in there and pour the sauce over it. Mix together. Crack two eggs in a separate bowl and beat. Pour beaten eggs over macaroni, mix only a little bit. Throw some cheese, breadcrumbs, or anything you think would be rad over top and bake at 350F for 30-45 minutes, or until you like the color.

Eat it like a fat piece of shit.

>but this is just getting embarrassing now.
Looks like I hurt the autists feelings.

>8oz of butter
That sounds like a lot of butter for that amount of flour. Most recipes that use 1/4 cup of flour would use 2 oz of butter.

lol. Ok, use less butter in yours.

8 oz favorite pasta shape (i usually use penne or wagon wheels if i can find them)
2 cups milk
8 oz salty sharp cheddar, sliced thin or grated
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
1 tbsp ground yellow mustard seed (the spice powder, not the liquid condiment)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs mixed with 2 tbsp melted butter
extra cheese for topping

Preheat oven to 350F.

Boil pasta for 1 minute less than package directions. While pasta is boiling melt butter in a pot or large pan, once it's started sizzling add the flour and cook for a minute or two until it starts to smell nutty. Mix in the mustard powder.

Slowly add the milk while stirring so it's not lumpy. Bring it to a simmer over medium low heat, stirring regularly so it doesn't stick to the bottom. Once it's simmering, turn off the heat and add the cheese, keep stirring while it melts.

Mix it with the pasta, put it in something that can go in the oven. Top with extra grated cheese if you want, then the breadcrumb. Bake for 25 minutes until breadcrumb topping is browned and crispy.

I don't have to add any salt because the cheese I use is plenty salty already. Make sure you get a good quality cheese, if the cheese doesn't have much flavor, it's going to be a bland dish. You could also add some steamed broccoli, broccoli and cheese goes well together. I like green onion on top, and sometimes a few drops of a vinegary hot sauce. Probably want to serve it with a light salad that has no oil/creamy dressing, just some vinegar on it.

I'm not saying anything bad about it, I like a lot of butter in some dishes, but two sticks just seemed like a lot. Wasn't sure if you made a mistake or something. It's just partially preference though, I get a stomachache whenever I try to make a sauce with heavy cream instead of milk and roux because there's too much fat.

Oh, yeah, no. I use one stick of butter. Oops.

What's your BMI, by any chance?

That sounds right, then. Other than that it's a good recipe though, since you were the first person to finally suggest mustard in the recipe.

And the nutmeg, too. I feel like the tiny bit of pungency bridges the savory with the sweetness from the milk.

Both the mustard and the nutmeg turn up the dial on sharp cheese flavor. A little bright note. When don't use them the richness from the fats can be overwhelming and the cheese tang gets muted. I think some people attempt to do this with a little hot sauce, but that doesn't meld as well with milk-sweetness. The chile taste cuts, but it's like right there, without harmonizing or something.

:'^)

pfft holy shit
is this for real?

>your bully will think your dad works at Cheetos and will like you more

First bit was a joke. I really don't know what that means, though.

>if you use pre-grated your bully was right

It means standard roux based bechamel sauce.

What's that mean.

Add parmesan.

If you use milk and butter it works. Think about layering a lasagna in a casserole dish. That's how you do it. It doesn't come out like cheese simply melted on top of pasta. Use elbow pasta as well.

You start by making a roux and then add the necessary ingredients to make a bechamel sauce.

It is when you think it's the only option for a quality product.

>18 hours later cleetus is still upset

I love the aggressiveness in this thread

Really though, a bechamel based sauce is objectively the best way to make mac and cheese.

19 hours later, simpleton is still butt blasted.
Pathetic. Do you actually spend all your time here, waiting for someone to respond to your dumb posts?

While I normally use a bechamel, it's not "objectively " the best way, it's the easy foolproof way. It's one thing to prefer a method because it gives you the same product everything with little chance for mistakes, and another thing entirely for it to be the "best".

Yeeeehaw, y'all! Tell that darn dere city slicker what fer!
If ya aint puttin 12 eggs and a loaf of wondur bread in yer mac n cheeze then ya just aint doin it right I tell ya h'wat.
Now if ya excuze me, my sisterwife needs a lil loaf of wondur bread in HER eggs if ya know what I mean hyukhyukhyuk

>easy
>foolproof
>little chance for mistakes
>tastes the best
Holy shit bechamel haters absolutely BTFO. How can other methods even compete?

Thanks for confirming you're a raging tardfart.

I like to add some grated gruyere that isn't part of the bechamel right before baking. It doesn't change the taste too much, but it adds a bunch of little gooey stretchy bits of cheese that look really good and adds a little bit of texture

Holy shit, flyover cletus just got btfo!