Rum

What's Veeky Forums favorite rum? I was thinking of getting this? Is it good or am I just wasting my money?

Wasting your money.

Buy Plantation.

Not good stuff, but it was the best abv to cost ratio at the store by my house. Would_drink_if_desperate/10

price to quality ratio is good, its decent for what you pay.

Fuck these guys, Kraken is delicious and it gets you hammered. Mix it in cream soda.

>Fuck these guys, Kraken is delicious

this.

> Veeky Forums
>2017
>mixers

Oranoco.

Sailor Jerries is my favorite rum honestly, kraken usually just comes off as pretty heavy

Don't care

Honestly it’s Sailor Jerry’s, but I’m sorta ashamed to admit since I think it has a bad reputation.

Havana club or go home. Kidding of course it's a bitch to get stateside but it's my favorite. Puerto Rican or USVI rum like Cruzan is a good second though

I like Cruzan for my cheap rum

I like this one, or Mount Gay.

Every rum is beautiful if you drink it right

I like Kraken. It's sweet and easy to drink over some ice.

Pretty shitty.
Very little flavor but sailors is alright in my opinion.
Muh pirates.

My arfrican brother.

>friends from college only know bacardi, captain, and kraken
>Dude wtf is this rum looks stupid, you should get captain man you can't go wrong with the captain!

Love it with ginger ale

>Veeky Forums
> denying things are enjoyable any way but the way you like
You know, I suppose you fit right in

Mah nigga, working on a bottle of 2year aged right now

Root beer is better

Maybe. I like that too.

Brugal

Sailor is probably the best bang for your buck rum around. If you want to splurge and get fancy grab a bottle of Zaya or Zacapa which are aged spiced rums. Smoother, more complex, sipping rums ya know.

This guy. Listen to him, for he is wise.

It's surprisingly good.

Plantation XO is good. I love kraken too, great taste although it gives me a really shitty hangover for some reason. Goes great with ginger beer.

I have no idea what that is, but Ron Zacapa Centenario is the greatest, imo. It is more like cognac than rum.

Had this at a rum bar in sf. Shit changed my life. It was smokey, spicy, and a nice caramel after taste with no taste of alcohol.

Because I'm a cheap motherfucker and I'm just going to mix it anyways

this for cheap

Flor de Caña 12 year aged, sipped on the rocks for an experience you deserve at least once in your life

Just get something cheap and add a cube or two of sugar to the bottle. It'll taste the same as something aged for much longer.

I thought that shit was so sugary I could only manage one sip. I'm not really big on sweets in general, so take that with a grain of salt. I have a bottle that's currently 3/4 full and has survived three years of holiday parties, so guests aren't digging it either. I think I'm just keeping it around because the label looks cool.

Also, Kraken jokes are kind of funny.

doesnt matter if it tastes good its in a qt bottle buy it

My college dormmate and I used to say "If you battle the kraken, it will sink your ship"

xD

Had Anneversario recently. The finish on these aged dark rums is very interesting--feels like a shot of espresso or something. The nice leather bag made it an interesting birthday gift for my friend.

:/

It always starts out with clash of the titans/pirate jokes and devolves into Kraken my butt shit. Even if this rum sucks, it's worth having out at a party, imo.

kraken is high proof and heavily spiced. not good to drink straight imo, but i love it in mixers. its my go to rum for rum and cokes, especially if you can score vanilla coke. some people find it too sweet, but to each his own. plus if you buy a handle, sometimes you get an awesomely cheesy shot glass, pic related.

Kraken is good but it's really, really sweet. If you're planning on mixing it with soda you're going to get diabetes.

I use Kraken for making fruity rum drinks.

wow, what the fuck?

Larry, is that you? thought i was the only one on this board who likes sailor Jerry

i also like kraken tho.

2/3 of the times I've thrown up from drinking have been when I drank Kraken.

Never drinking this poison again. From now on it's only Sailor Jerry or Goslings black seal

dr pepper is where its at

always relevant

Kraken's the best shit I've found for rum & coke.
With any other brand you get a clash between the flavours, but with Kraken it just blends, and it's fucking beautiful.

Aaand that's why I need to read the whole thread before replying.
My coke-mixing comrade!

might as well drop zaya off that list. they changed it to a shitty blend and kept the $35 price tag. I was disappointed to say the least

>goslings bermuda black

You clearly know what you're talking about, so I might give Sailor Jerry a try now

This

>not getting the signature frothy head of Old Sam Demerara and coke

You're not living your life correctly

Kraken is alright but it's not amazing, it's a bit too sweet

Expensive mixer, too cheap to drink straight.

My nigga. It's good straight.

you should get castillo silver
it's about as good as a bottom shelf can get

Used to be really good, but they changed the recipe some years back and it's not so good anymore.

OAKHEART

Bacardi gold was my go-to rum when I was drinking daily.

The best rum I've ever had, though, was pic related.

I used to love this shit so much but after one night where I ended up crawling to the toilet, I can't even smell it without gagging.

Lady fucking Bligh with Vanilla Coke

Kraken is a candy you can drin. I'm a smith and cross man.

Zacapa or Matusalem. I'd rather buy a good bottle of ron once in a while rather than spending the same price for 10 watered down cocktails or beers outside.

Spiced rum that isn't arse go

this

the drink of my college years. Chased with OJ tastes just like a creamsicle

Kraken is probably my favorite rum. It mixes well and even tastes alright enough straight if you're pirating up. My favorite mixed is called and Inception (similar to a LIIT) with rum and sprite to taste.

It also cuts well with root beer due to it's vanilla hints.

Serious rum drinker here. Had to cut back recently though.

Pic related is my all time favorite rum, and I'd personally rate it as a top10 or even top5 of all rum I've had.
It's not expensive really, about 30$ a quart (750ML) here. But for the flavor its a serious bargain.

Other noteable rum which is as good (or better, in some cases). El Dorado (i like the 12) Anniversario (some user mentioned the leather bag) Flor de cana, some appleton products are ok, some are downright nasty.

Gosling's black seal is very nice, havana club is acceptable (i kind of place it at the old sam level)

If you drink kraken, or sailor jerry i'm honestly baffled. I can't drink those, they taste like artificial vanilla extract and fake flavors and sweetness. I actually gagged when I tried them. Power to you if you enjoy them, I just like rum that tastes like rum and doesn't have some weird ass chemicals in it masking the shitty flavor.

That stuff is gross.

Not to go autist or snob, I like getting fucked up when I drink at least 30% of the time, I just suggest you all try at least some el dorado, or if you're in eastern canada (not sure where else it sells) try pic related.

Pro tip: be sure your rum and coke has ice made from filtered/bottle water, and add a healthy splash of water on top of the cocktail, use less coke. As a seasoned boozer, i go with like 2 full shot glasses of rum, 2 of coke, maybe 3, and a shot glass of water. Large ice cubes, square glass so people can identify your drunk rummy ass from a distance.

For girls, add a hint of lime, or a marachino cherry, and use more coke of course.

Ahh, the Doc Oc.
Good choice.

fucking this it's not some amazing cum ur pants rum but god damn does it mix well

Kraken tastes like cheap candy, it's the ketchup of the rum world. Get Zaya, or any Venezuelan rum. Whatever you get should have been aged at least three years, preferably more.

>Buy Kraken dark rum
>buy cheap supermarket-brand cola for mixer

Kraken has an aftertaste/aroma of rubbing alcohol for me. It's not very high on my list, but definitely gets the job done.

> mynigga.jpg
This is probably at the top of my list for reasonably-priced rum.

IIRC, mount gay as a very smoky aroma. Not a fan of this, since I always end up with heartburn.

This is my go-to cause I'm a cheapskate. It does have a very artificial flavor straight, but good enough for a mixer with coke and a couple of cherries.

THIS SHIT will change your life. Also the younger varieties are amazing for the price.

this guy. its cheap but still tastes great in coke,mixed drinks or on its own. thats just my opinion but im not picky anyways. my go to rum

If all you're doing is buying the rum to mix in some cheap pepsi then just buy the cheap store rum too, it's 95% there in taste as if you were using kraken.

Pyrat xo gold planters reserve, pre 2005.

Tasted like sweet butter, so wonderfully smooth.

Had half a bottle left until my friends alcoholic wife murdered it without asking.

Friend then told me it was my fault for leaving it "out" and that I should be more careful around alcoholics.

Anywho, don't try the new shit. It's garbage.

Thanks for reading my blog.

I'm more of an Appleton Estate guy, myself, but there isn't really anything wrong with Kraken, especially for things you don't want to use high-tier rum for like cakes or mixes. That being said, Kraken is still pretty decent for what you're paying.

Are there more of these for other spirits?
Like tequila?

liquid form of crack cocaine

This is the true choice of sailors

All the sailors I know drink Kraken ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

likely
only ones I have aside from the rum are whiskies

all the sailors I know (myself included) drink mount gay or goslings black seal

Beautiful, my dad drinks this after switching when Zaya fucked up

It's so fucking good.

>High west
Aka MGP shirt rye blended in Utard

Can somebody please translate?

Don't get gimmick shit or spiced rum (kraken, captain).

Get real rum:

>Appleton
>Diplomatico
>Barbancourt
etc.

I just drink Flor de Caña

Sazerac is trash

FYI this stuff is dirt dirt cheap if you go to Nicaragua.

I have an open bottle of Sailor Jerry right now, need to open a bottle of 7 year Havana Club from Cuba. Haven't had it straight yet, only had it there with coke

I'm not sure if I'll buy Sailor Jerry again, it tastes really strongly of a single flavor that's like a lightly smoky vanilla. Probably will just stick to gin for a while after this

Does anyone else here drink rum with pineapple juice?

I like Gin and Pineapple juice. Rum doesn't seem like it'd go well