/Tequila/

Pretty knowledgable on this subject. Ask away.

Other urls found in this thread:

sfwtc.com/spirits/Tequila
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what's it like to suck mexican penis?

Can Espolon be beaten for the price? Also Tapatio is my favorite picante salsa mayn

There is no penis, mexican or otherwise in Tequila. Tequila has 3 basic ingredients. Agave, water, and aging in oak (wooden) barrels. You might be thinking of Pulque which is a drink I have never tried.

Espolon is a good bargain. If you can get your hands on Tapatio I would chose that. I get mine when I travel to mexico never seen it in the US although I have read that they have exported it to US.

Its around $20 for a liter of tequila.

The blanco is probably my go to. I could sip it and my friends could have shots or mix it and it wont bother me because its inexpensive.

I dont really like the reposado was too salty imo. The anejo is very good although not as woody as some other tequila.

If you can get your hand son the Tapatio 110 (55% abv) do it. Its great for mixing. It tastes great and it has an intense mouthfeel that sticks around. I wouldnt keep it on the pallatte too long since it can fuck up your mouth.

Never tried excelensia gran reserva

>No tapatio in the u.s
Is there really a noticeable difference between expensive and cheap white tequila?

The correlation between cheap=bad and expensive=good is not perfect.

For instance tapatio for me is one of the best tequilas especially the blanco. Its bright, green, agave, with a nice salinity to it. Its got character and can be taken in a mixed drink or straight.

In contrast, patron is extremely over priced. It is bland and characterless, the agave character is muted. Its made to be as inoffensive as possible. Shooting it is advised since its made to be smooth but its too expensive.
Patron has another line called Roca Patron which is superior to the regular one but its really expensive ($70).

Cheaper white tequila can be rougher spirit with more alcohol presence but it doesnt always.

do u eat the worm

What happened to the original Herradura Blanco?

What's the best dish you've made with tequila and do you drink while cooking with it?

I do agree Patron is overpriced. It has an aggressive business model and advertising practice, both. It's a business. There is nothing much wrong with it, but your upcharge is paying for the campaign.
Tequila used to be very closely the same for blancas, but there is some trends towards smoothness and triple distillations and messing with traditions now. Most people who really like tequila (I guess OP isn't one of them), prefer reposados as their go to choice, for the flavor and improved feel on the tongue and palate. The aftertaste is less grassy but also it does feature prominently, minus the sharp burn. The differences between reposados is how much burn is missing, and how much delicious agave cactus grassiness remains. One could say preference ranks the latter. Sipping an anejo is more about not having funds or access to other more aged spirits, or simply being patriotic and proud like that. They are not bad, but they are not the enjoyment of other aged spirits standing alone, but are great for food pairings Probably they should be most used by distilleries in blending if we're being honest here.

I hope people that really want information on tequilas put their time into not brands beyond what is actually not heavily imported en masse for most folks. Avoid all that aren't 100% agave, avoid the flavored (shit) like rose cream tequila, and learn to like how mexicans enjoy their tequila. Make batches of pulpy and slightly spicy sangrita. Buy or make fresh grapefruit sodas that mimic the deliciousness of a quick Squirt and tequila or a paloma blanca. Pair foods that would also go with cactus or agave syrup concoctions, from cucumber to watermelon. Tropical fruits that are great in aqua frescas with lime added..these go too, from mangoes to guanabana. If you're making a margarita, don't forget the orange liqueur.

Tequila does not have the worm, that is some mezcal. Although high end mezcal distilleries usually dont put in the worm.

As far as i know, its still around. The packaging has changed but it is still made by the same distillery (NOM 1119). I know they sold a tequila from the same distillery with a very similar label as herradura that was called antiguo but i never tasted that bottle labeled antiguo. Also, i have tried the new bottle of herradura in mixed drink. Never tried the old blanco. And i have mostly had the older bottle of reposado and anejo.

Dont really cook with it, sorry.

i prefer the brightness, and cleaness of the blancos right now, but it periodically changes and ill start drinking reposados or anejos. I would agree that reposados are a more complex and mouthfeel. A good reposado will have more complex flavor notes (vanilla, wood, various fruits, chocolate, etc). My very favorite reposados manage to retain the agave taste intact white adding more complexity. I usually don't feel the burn not even in the 110 proof tequila so i always forget that most people do find that experience off putting.

I would disagree that anejos (or ultra anejos) are just about not being able to afford other spirits. The best anejos keep agave character (which is my favorite flavor in tequila) and balance that with complex notes of chocolate, vanilla, wood, dark fruits, tropical fruits, oilyness,and other complex flavors that are often present in other liquor. Im not educated on very expensive liquor such as rum, whisk(e)y, or bourbon so i cant comment on them being better or worse.

I would absolutely agree that if there is one thing to take away from this thread is to only buy tequila marked with 100%de Agave. DO NOT buy anything that says Gold or Mixto.

hey user, i love Tequila, but i usually don't buy it becasue i find it way to easy to overindulge
that being said, i've been drinking a lot of it lately since we've had some pretty warm days here

i've always just gone for the more mainstream brands like Cazadores, Don Julio, Herradura, Patron (which i've recently decided i'm not that crazy about), Corralejo, Casamigos etc..

i've been going to a nicer liquor store lately and i've tried a couple that i really like - Fortaleza and 123 Organic
i guess i like all styles, but i prefer Anejo and Repasado over Blanco

i like to drink it neat or sometimes with ice if the weather is really warm

tl;dr
recommend something to me

OP what do you know about Padre Azul Tequila Anejo?
it was like, 130bucks but I really liked it.

I've heard it involves limes and salt and possibly a latin incantation. How are you supposed to drink this stuff?

El tesoro de don felipe is really good the entire line is good. Although this is a highland tequila vs fortaleza that is a lowland tequila. But both are made in brick ovens.

Casa noble is another good tequila from the lowlands.

Never had it. And ive never had any of the tequilas made in their distilleries NOM 1466.

Really bad stuff(mixtos cuervo gold dont buy it or drink it. The really harsh 100% de agave blancos and reposados can be mixed or taken quick in shots (lime and salt optional). The great blancos reposados and pretty much every average quality and above anejo should be sipped in pic related or a snifter and savoured neat, maybe a drop of water.

If you just want to get fucked up cuervo tradicional reposado is enough to mix and shoot.

>El tesoro de don felipe is really good
hey thanks, i'll keep those in mind
anything you'd recommend from here - sfwtc.com/spirits/Tequila ?
it's not necessarily the best liquor store in the city, but it's the best one that's close by

I'm mexican and I've never heard of half the tequilas you're mentioning! At least in central Mexico, we mostly drink Centenario wich is in the mid-price range; Rancho Escondid, Jose Cuervo Especial and Azul tequila are also pretty popular. Patron if you're rich. Tonayan if youre dirt poor (costs 15 pesos, sold in plastic single serving bottles, not even good for cooking like boxed wine).

Does mezcal always taste like smoke? Is it going to be easier to find soon in the USA?

My go-to tequila is Altos silver, how much of a pleb am I?

Altos seems ok.
it seems like 'decent' tequila can be pretty inexpensive compared to other liquor
i mean, it's impossible to find a good scotch for $20

what is the best tequila?
what is the best tequila for someone has never tried tequila and don't want to expend too much? and the same but for someone who doesn't care about expending

Very true. I wonder why that is? Cheaper labor costs in Mexico vs Scotland? How much does your average jimador make anyway?

well, i assume Scotch is so high due to importation fees or taxes or whatever, because you can get pretty decent bourbon & rye for around $25.00 or so
probably less fees associated with getting tequila into the US + yea probably pretty cheap labor

>sfwtc.com/spirits/Tequila

Chinaco, tequila ocho, siete leguas, and chamucos.

Ive never tried it but its on my list tapatio excelencia.

Centenario is extremely popular in mexico and its decent. In my experience there is a better selection of tequilas in southern commiefornia than in most cities in mexico. Arandas and the tequila towns being major exceptions. Tonayan es mata ratas

Ive had a couple of mezcals and they were both extremely smoky. Probably comes from the fact that they bury the mezcal in big pits and cover with earth for many hours. I honestly dont know because im not involved in the business im just a tequila enthusiast. However, a couple momths ago i came across a del maguey Vida bottle in liquor store that specialized in beer not liquor so its possible.

If you can drink it go for it.
Olmeca altos is interesting in that half of the agave is crushed by stone wheel and half is crushed by steel rollers. That is one great thing about tequila you can find very drinkable spirits for relatively cheap. Even costco makes a decent tequila.

The best I have had is Rey Sol Ultra AƱejo.

When introducing a new person to tequila I give them Tapatio or casa noble Reposado. They are both honest good quality tequila. I dont know what you mean by inexpensive but tapatio is around 25$ in mexico for 1L and casa noble reposado is about 50$ for 750.

Besides Rey Sol top quality expensive tequila would be Herradura Seleccion Suprema(ive tried) and Clase Azul Ultra Tequila(by reputation)

How far can you jam that tequila bottle up your own ass?

hey thanks for the recommendations!
i'm going to have to go shopping after work

Depends on the bottle

It seems to have changed more than just the packaging. The taste is different and it's also a different ABV. I was just wondering why they got rid of the original 46%.

i see what your saying now because it seems they used to package it for sale at 46% which i never tried and now I want to look for an old bottle. So thanks for bringing it to my attention.

They probably changed it because it was too hot for consumers so they diluted with water. Lots of distelliries distill tequila to 55% anv then dilute it down to desired abv with water. Most tequila packaged for mexico has 36-40 abv while most tequila packaged for the us is 40%.

Now tequila may be the favored beverage of outlaws but that doesn't mean it gives them preferential treatment. In fact, tequila probably has betrayed as many outlaws as has the central nervous system and dissatisfied wives. Tequila, scorpion honey, harsh dew of the doglands, essence of Aztec, crema de cacti; tequila, oily and thermal like the sun in solution; tequila, liquid geometry of passion; Tequila, the buzzard god who copulates in midair with the ascending souls of dying virgins; tequila, firebug in the house of good taste; O tequila, savage water of sorcery, what confusion and mischief your sly, rebellious drops do generate