Baking general

Made my first GOOD batch of bagels the other day after 2 failed attempts. They were so fucking good.
>sophisticatedgourmet.com/2009/10/new-york-style-bagel-recipe/
I doubled the salt and steamed ice cubes in the oven, but pretty much went by recipe.

(((you)))

Looks fucken good, op.

is it possible to sprinkle both sides with poppy seeds and sesame seeds?

thanks
I want to try this next time. I'm not sure if it will work because I used an egg wash to make them stick and I think it will cause the bagel to stick to the pan

oh yeah, never thought about that. I was in Montreal a couple months ago, and enjoyed the fuck out of there bagels. I really liked how both sides of them had the seeds.

Forgot to mention that I boiled them for 2 minutes on each side, so 4 minutes each bagel. I tried 2 minutes on my first batch and basically got rolls, not bagels.
More toppings are always good!

Looks great OP. How about some pictures of the undercarriage and cross-section of the interior crumb? What do you like to have with your bagel, cream cheese & lox?

There's already a baking thread up, but it's not a fast food thread so I won't complain.
Was planning on making 10-15 soft pretzels for a party on Saturday. Anything I should definitely do/definitely avoid besides the obvious?

looks great, OP. thanks for the recipe. i've never made bagels before cause i've got a great bagel place around the corner, but maybe i'll give it a try.

anyone here /sourdough/? i just started baking sourdough bread and i'm pretty happy with it, but still working out the timing for feeding it so it's ready to bake with on the weekends.

Nice looking bagels, boyo.

Nice work

I wanna make bread, but I hate cleaning up that gluten glue mess.

I can buy these freshly made any given day by true experts for 50 cents each. Was it really worth it?
Serious question.

Not everyone lives next door to a Jewish bakery.

I boil them for like 3 seconds each side, then I let them rise for a half hour, in a proofing enclosure, before putting them in the oven for 15 minutes @ 450. I use cornmeal to keep them from sticking.
Boiling them for a long time makes it so the bagels cannot rise at all. You'll get flat bagels.

Making a sourdough starter as directed by Chef John. I hope it turns out alright. Mine is a bit runnier compared to his :(. Using the same 1/1 ration flour to water.

4 u 2.

Nice job, my man. Trader Joe's sells everything bagel seasoning if you are so partial to that flavor of bagels.

Check out artisanbreadwithstev on youtube. He makes it easy.

what kind of flour are you using?

seconding artisanbreadwithstev, he's a great intro to baking bread

I've been working on a rye sourdough starter and it leaves a constant mess every feeding.
>Crawled up the sides of the jar leaving residue to dry once it's mixed down
>A thick layer always grabs onto the spoon
>Used a tall jar, need a ladle to get anything out
>Used a short jar, it escapes its confines after being fed
I go through a yard of paper towels to keep this stuff from making a home in my pipes.

Thought to start on a sponge for bread I'm intending to make but ended up not being able to use enough starter for the recipe. If my starter is still alive in the morning, I'm going to add what I was missing, but not sure if I want to let it rise some more for a few hours or add the rest of the ingredients and shape it for their rise in the pans.

what's your hydration %? i took a regular bread flour starter i got a few weeks ago and am transitioning it to a full rye starter using a 1:1:1 ratio of conserved stater, rye flour, and water. once it doubles in size, i stick it in the fridge until 24 hours before i want to bake with it, and i revive it then with another 1:1:1 feeding before building a leaven.

Same ratios in ounces.
Started with a whole grain dark rye, using it for feeding on the first few days, then moved to alternating between unbleached regular flour and a whole grain not-dark? rye that I accidentally bought trying to find regular rye flour.

Began on the 20th but didn't really see activity until the 24th when I started alternating. It's really stubborn when only using rye to feed, but despite giving the best reaction, the normal flour lightens it up a bit too much kinda like it's diluting the rye, so I think I need to find light rye flour.

you can totally find light rye flour! in the meantime, you can mix your dark rye and reg flours -- instead of alternating, try using either 50/50 or 75/25 rye/reg flours.

I'll try 50/50 from now on. None of the fancy grocers had medium or light rye, so I either have to find a brewers shop or order online.

i suspect the 50/50 blend will give you better, more consistent results that you're looking for, but please post results either here or in a new thread if this one dies! also, consider just starting with way fewer grams of starter.

I was using 2oz for each ingredient, doubled it in anticipation of making something, but back down to 2oz
Maybe the recipe I'm going off of really wanted a lot of starter. I'll try to take a picture of the mess I end up making later, pictures of starter doesn't sound interesting.

Plain white loaf.
Put some water in a normal oven to get a bit of nicer crunchy crust.

But is that as fun?

And the crumb x

the shape of your bagels is kind of plump and cartoon like but they still seem legit.

are they everything bagels?

Made some croissants

gorgeous

yeah. Fresh garlic, onion with coarse salt, sesame and poppy seeds

My dick is erection

Look burnt

recipe?

Yeah buddy, give me a hunk of that.

I wanna tongue-punch that middle.

Nah senpai, those are perfection right there.

Burnt on top and bottom, ruined

No he's right, they are burnt. Your idea of the "perfect" croissant can be one burnt, but at least admit that it's burnt.

>Dough is done rising in their pans
>Oven is almost ready
>Let's score the tops of these
>They both deflate
Shit fuck damnit

Finally baked my bread that I mentioned earlier My sorry-ass scoring did a good job of making them look ugly. Not even sure why I did so to both after ruining one.

Crumb. It's really soft with a slightly crunchy crust. Don't really taste the rye too much but the sour comes up as you chew.

I just started making a sourdough starter today. Do you need to let it breathe air or is the only reason to have it loosely covered so that it doesn't build up pressure and explode?

r u obsessed with sourdough? I know you're one person pretending to be many different people asking about sourdough. It's pretty sad. You probably reply to yourself and ask yourself questions too.

Are you trying to make it seem like I'm posting an angry response to myself in an attempt to derail from my original question? That's pretty autistic. I bet you accuse everyone posting about sourdough of this.

I kept mine in one of those latching lid jars. I covered it with a napkin or similar, then closed the lid but didn't tighten it down.

I brushed these with olive oil and covered with sesame seeds. This was the best tasting batch of baguettes that I've made so far. They were so light but had a crust with that olive oil. I ate 2.75 of them.

I think the problem was with the proofing? Maybe temperature or weak yeast? I've had some of my normal loaves come out not rising all the way. Still good, especially if you toast. Rye is harder to work with. I've seen recipes that call for only like 1/3 rye, then another 1/3 whole wheat, and then 1/3 all-purpose or bread.

I get discouraged too but today I feel a little happy with my creation.

I've giving up on scoring until I buy a lame.

I made pound cake and lemon bars for my Dad's birthday. This a bread only thread?

Just put this in the oven about ten minutes ago

Did you couche these? could get a better shape that way, easier to transfer

I'm pretty happy with it honestly. Maybe lots of insufficient things along the way but it did not turn out to be a brick. Rose fine each step, maybe needed more kneading or subbing in some rye when getting the dough made like you say.

Had it with dinner and going to use it for breakfast and sandwiches tomorrow.

Decided to try out a recipe for Russian apple cake I came across.

Do I really need a Dutch oven to make sourdough like bread?

Been working one this chocolate croissant shape for 2 fucking years, finally figured out how to make it exactly how I want them to look tonight.

Stupidly simple shapes are the hardest to fucking perfect with laminated dough.

Is that a home bake? Those look damn near professional my dude.

How was it

No, not at all.

Very tasty. I should use more apples next time though, recipe called for 5 but I had such huge apples I decided to use less than that.

is working in a bakery the ultimate robot dream job?

I've been doing it professionally for over a decade and I don't know that I could ever do anything else. Perfection is a moving target, man.

this looks so cozy

DID YOU PUT LYE IN THE WATER WHEN YOU BOILED THEM

THOSE ONIONS IN THE MIDDLE LOOK RAW

GET GOOD BUBALA

Make sure you have the three required pretzel condiments. Mustard(spicy brown or stone ground), cream cheese, and beer cheese. Or don't man, that's just what I like

looks good, how fat are yuo