Businessman etiquette

>Businessman etiquette

I had lunch with some business guys in the /tech/ industry a while back and here's something I noticed about them

>We're eating at a nice place
>They order food and don't finish
>They order again and the food comes, they have food left over on their plate
>Why do they do this? I had to do the same thing out of peer pressure but why do all leave food on the table to waste meanwhile I'm trying to finish my plate...

I assume they want to leave room to try other dishes this makes sense if you're ordering a 5 course meal and actually want to make it through all 5. I went to fancy steakhouse and was treated to a 5 course meal and I finished everything but then again I can put down a lot of food.

Finishing your plate is fatty poorfag shit. May as well just go to an AYCE buffet, because that's what it looks like you're doing when you finish your plate.

It scares me that people like you exist

Feeling is mutual.

Different cultures I assume, growing up in lower class rural lake district in England we were taught to appreciate every mouthful and cleaned plates are expected.

Was it a business lunch? If so then it's on the company dime and it doesn't matter. I do this all the time.

Sometimes it's nice to try different dishes but you don't want to get overfull so you can go right back to work without feeling loggy.

That's exactly my point. Cleaning you plate shows you were raised by people who had insecurity about food. Very common in the US as well, particularly Boomers whose parents lived through the Depression and WWII. But that's exactly my point with regard to OP post. If you're in the position to be eating out at nice places without giving it a second thought you're definitely beyond the point of food insecurity, so there's no reason to eat like you are, especially in public.

You sound like a huge fruitbowl.

These are all credible theories but personally I believe it's just OP being an autistic, socially inadequate retard.

China is very real, bro.

This is the only objectivly correct opinion thus far.

>I believe it's just OP being an autistic, socially inadequate retard.

>haha wasting food is so normal!!
>what do you mean you eat all the food on your plate?? ARE YOU AUTISTIC?

Your insecurities are literally tearing your apart at the seams and you don't even realize it.

>Cleaning you plate shows you were raised by people who had insecurity about food

This.

In countries outside of the US, this is a clear sign that you were raised without class.

And yes, it's not great that Class = ability to waste *some* food. But leaving a pile of food on your plate also has the opposite effect.

The only people I've seen pick every last rice grain from their bowl were Chinese engineers who were trying to follow culture, but calculated their tip down to the penny and asked for change... I'm not joking..

>Your insecurities are literally tearing your apart

And this is why poor people finish every last grain of rice in their bowl. They fear they will never see food again.

Not exactly the picture of class, nor image of success that most businessmen try to portray.

I wasn't born in the US

I hate wasting food

Corporate stiffs aren't real people, they shouldn't try to act like them.
Businessmen absorb the nutrients they need through camaraderie alone.

Let me guess. You are a spoiled, sheltered white liberal kid who has never met people living in poverty?

Yes. People who are very poor are insecure about their poverty, and try to show they have money as soon as they get it.

You sheltered liberal bigots wouldn't understand "poverty mentality" and some of the negative aspects it can create.

Being casual about the amount of food you eat is something of a class tell, and in business situations you definitely want the class signals you send out to be higher instead of lower if you can help it. Going out to eat at a nice place with tech guys is pretty top tier. Cleaning your plate like you're eating at a Bob"s Big Boy is gonna look a little out of place.

Don't even think about ordering a doggy bag to-go because that shit makes you look like a goddamn hillbilly.

It's Japanese culture to finish every last grain of rice, as it's disrespectful to the rice farmers if you don't.

>Let me guess. You are a spoiled, sheltered white liberal kid

>Corporate stiffs aren't real people, they shouldn't try to act like them.
>Businessmen absorb the nutrients they need through camaraderie alone.

Yup. confirmed.

@9478173
I'm not sure how you leaped to make this about identity and race politics.

No (You), btw

I doubt very many anons have business interactions with Japanese rice farmers.

>It's Japanese culture to finish every last grain of rice

holy shit, please tell me more about what us Japanese people do and do not do, tv watching white kids.

And no, you look like a complete slob in Japanese business culture if you eat or finish all your food like a starving hobo and your boss/higher up hasn't.

>Retarded etiquette

Fixed that for you

> ITT rich sheltered, white liberals try to tell poor ignorant brown people they need to finish every bit of their food because "it's your culture"

lol

Your 'merican liberals are fucking great comedy.

>i have never participated in a business lunch

I saw it in an anime.
I bet I know more about your own culture than you do.

>/Tech/
The answer is autism

What does autism do to you?

high functioning autism hypermasculates the brain, pushing out the parts that let you get along socially and not have a panic attack and also the parts that let you recognize social cues and read the mood.
In exchange, you become savant-like powers to become good at one thing which you obsess over.

I eat every meal as if it's my last.

Depending on your possition you could have multiple meetings a day, so if you want to go trough all of them then you need to eat very little. However, you may be meeting with someone who is only having that big meal, and it is a bit rude to leave him eating alone, so a glass of water may not be enough.
There's also the stigma of It speaks bad of you if you obsessively try eating every single bit of food, finish the bread basket and such. But the opposite happens, you WILL look like a brat if you leave your food untouched.
Well, yeah, I guess you are right

im so edgy i dont finish my plate xdddd
foodwaste yay

I agree. I think wasting food is borderline criminal. But so is gluttony, if you think about it. You're using your body as the garbage can.

Yes, I am a bit high functioning autismo mode but in a bit worse way

>I have to teach people sometimes
>I get nervous and start teaching them stuff that I subconsciously believe they already know and should know
>They literally stop me and say hey dude, we have no idea what you are talking about
>Can you start from the beginning and in a way we can understand
>I have to sit there and think to myself how do they not understand or know about this stuff already?
>I still can't believe so many other people at work don't know how to do their job when it comes to troubleshooting
>They're like sitting ducks waiting for me to show up
>BTW, I'm trying to be nicer since when I explain things people tell me that you are tooooo high level for this and we need to understand the basics first

>I would be a horrible teacher

Placing yourself in other people's shoes is literally impossible when autistic.

Yes and every Made In China product is funding their eventual invasion.

Who cares what anyone else does or thinks. Eat until your full. Maybe you have leftovers, maybe not. Personally, if it's enough for another meal or a good sized snack I get a to go box. OP, don't be bothered by such trivial stuff. Enjoy your food and the company of your biz friends.

>Who cares what anyone else does or thinks.
It's relevant at a business lunch. Image counts. Nothing wrong with to go boxes in a casual situation, but in a business situation it makes you look desperate, like you're not doing well enough to be sure of where your next meal is coming from.

Then don't be a glutton and plate more than you should intake.

In good restaurants you don't plate your own food. Like I said, you don't want to come off in front of business clients like you normally eat at AYCE buffets.

The fact that doggy-baggers have to pretend it's for a dog really says it all.

I've never thought that about anyone that finished their plate. Ever. I've been to plenty of biz meetings too. Why you think you know what other people actually think is beyond me. You don't know what others are thinking... Only what YOU think. However, just do you I guess. If I want to finish my plate I will. I don't care what anyone thinks. I need the protein so I can continue to crush my competition.

That's just your opinion, man. It's all relative. I don't even believe in protein.

Lmao I do this every time if I can't finish my food. Until I get a real job I don't give a fuck what it looks like, I'm fucking hungry and I'm too skinny anyway
>t. broke ass college student

At good restaurants they don't serve plates fitted for gluttons.

Although, you can still finish your plate and use it in your favor. If you do not look desperate you may give a responsable look.
But I am sure that my meeting are a bit different, we all were poorfags who got rich later in life, so we still value humbleness and being responsable with resources, while loath general braty attitude

Like where?

I know the Chinese expect you to leave food on the plate to avoid offending the host/cook by implying you weren't given enough, but I assumed that was just Chinese autism. Like filling wine glasses to the brim.

I think your Chinese engineers were either taking the whole log cabin American ethos too seriously or were just penny-pinchers. Easily both at once - Chinese autism strikes again.

People like you make me sick, you should kys you stupid autistic faggot

>Boomers whose parents lived through depression
This is wrong. They would usually always eat the bare minimum and always save leftovers to have a meal for the next day or two. Your entire post is a retarded sham and you know nothing about food culture.

> ITT: Being Poor, and how you're doing it wrong.

You're thinking of casseroles or stews. They didn't schlep it onto the plate, warn the kids not to eat part of it, and then schlep the reserved part back into the pot. They kept the unserved food as leftovers and made the kids "clean their plate."

>@9478173
faggot

>No (You), btw
desperate faggot

Businessmen are fags.
Bunch of little itty bitty manlets.

I finish the food on my plate and order more because I'm 6'5".

Can't I just do what I want without being judged by you autistic retards 24/7?

>6'5"
I'm so sorry.

I bet you play video games in public, too. No one who isn't a poorfag finishes their goddamn plate, you absolute mong.

Perfect height, bud. Anything taller is freak territory.

What if you just really like the food?
Fuck the rich

Not him, but I play video games in public. I also finish my plate and am not a poorfag.

Is this the thread where we pretend to be retarded

He admits to being poor while eating in front of business people

They say it is hard to change how you grew up, it shows throughout your whole life

Just dont ask for a to go box

Business""men"" were a mistake.

I eat however much I feel like eating, leftovers or not. Regardless of plate size and regardless of whether others are clearing or leaving leftovers.

The biggest class tell is when someone actually cares whether I clear the plate or not.

You can. I guess the first step is to stop waiting for permission.

this
people that seem to care are invariably rich.

itt: anons confuse having "class" with wealth which couldn't be further from the truth.

Anyone who wastes food in an attempt to impress others that he can do so because he is rich is the epitome of low class trash.

poorfag

Look, you guys don't get it

>At a business lunch
>They order soup
>Everyone takes 4-5 spoons of soup and stop eating
>qt 3.14 girl comes over to take the soup plates away
>Brings out more foood
>I'm sitting there like WTF just happened
>Why is there so much soup left and why are we continuing with the other meal when there is soup left

>they have food left over on their plate
restaurant food is very rich
they eat out a lot
too much rich food makes people tired and nauseous fat, and uncomfortable.
business people need to control their weight because they wear nice tailored clothing.
business people need to be alert and on point.

Daily reminder if you waste food and expect others to, you're a pretentious, vapid piece of shit.

Wrong, fucko. Anything taller than 6'2 is freak turf. You got dealt a shit hand kid, deal with it and move on.

hate to break it to you but 6'5" is freak territory. the perfect height is 6'1" at least for sex

Wow you have sex?
Way to go user

>I'm going to decide cultural norms across the board because someone I think is cool told me so.

get your head out of your ass and think for yourself.

gay sex, but yes

Yes, obviously. But the people acting morally outraged about not picking up your plate and licking every particle of food off it are acting like famine victims.

>people that seem to care are impressionable creatures
ftfy. if they need to clear they are poor, if they need to leave food they are destined for middle management riches. feel proud user!

>going out to eat at a nice place with tech guys is pretty top tier

lol in what world? you can replace 'tech guys' (the most broad title in the world btw) with anything and you're still at a fancy place. also, i feel sorry you put so many limitations on yourself based off what you assume society thinks.

Traps aren't gay.

Itty bitty manlets. I could knock you over with my pinky.

t. manlet

>Anything taller than 6'2" is freak turf
that's literally average height if you're dutch kek
why are americans so short

Sure thing, Oprah.

I work in "tech" and out of all the work lunches I've had I've yet to see or notice anyone use food as an I dictator of class inferiority/superiority.

I guess if you're in upper management or big business or even sales you try and make retarded power plays whenever and wherever you can, but that's stupid and just another reason why I'm comfortable being below a managerial position. Pizza patties and taco Tuesdays are fine by me if it means I don't have to eat like a jumbo autist to impress Mr. Moneybags in front of me.

Hell, my boss once treated us to a nice steak dinner. Dont think I remember him actually leaving anything on his plate, but then again, I doubt he wanted to impress us.

Rich people are assholes that's the answer. They're there for their rituals and appearances, not the food.

>Forcing a casual attitude to impress the boss, client overlords, or the rest of the herd
>I-I-I'm casual, srsly

Fucking this.

My boss is a former nuclear sub captain. He clears his plate as a matter of habit, and without any neroticism over how much others are eating.

lol @ beta code monkeys getting mad at business etiquette.

Do you also rage at the Chads who land all the hot chicks because they're smooth talkers?

Probably triggers you virgins like crazy. lol

only idiots call a togo bag a "doggy bag"
you'd have to be an idiot to be a pet owner, just another mouth to feed and it repays you by shitting in your house.

Wow. Do you consider that smooth talk?

Finishing your plate means you're used to restaurant serving you human-sized servings.
You, on the other hand, are used to "free if you can finish it" type of restaurants, that value quantity over quality. And it shows very hard.

>restaurant food is very rich
Not always. Stop going to shitty restaurants where main selling argument is making hamplanets feel full.

So much this.
This is one of many ways you can tell old money from new money.

Lol. Enjoy your virginity. And I don't mean just because you're a manlet, but because you have a Napoleon complex as well.

>new money.

So, in other words, all the techies who just got a taste of that six figure salary lifestyle is like...

I only have to mind my manners with certain clients, those that I have long relationships with we don't even bother going to fine restaurants we eat at Hooters and drink beer.

>Not always.
wow you got me, 'not always.' You know very well that restaurant food is loaded with fat, sugar, salt, because it's easier to cook and tastes better.