Boys...how the FUCK do I make a French omelet?

Boys...how the FUCK do I make a French omelet?

Everytime it turns into scrambled eggs. I've tried 4 times and it has failed everytime. What's the secret?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4RoLavF2ZLU
youtube.com/watch?v=ak3uJGf6Bj0
youtu.be/s10etP1p2bU
youtube.com/watch?v=qXPhVYpQLPA
youtube.com/watch?v=s10etP1p2bU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=4RoLavF2ZLU

go fuck yourself

wi wi

have you tried one of the many tutorials that are available on youtube?
I think chef John has one for the french omelet

From the looks of that pic you just put some beaten eggs in a plastic bag and briefly dunk it in some boiling water.

Simpleton

There's a segment in an episode of the third season of mind of a chef where one of the chefs breaks it down. He used a clean dish towel to wrap and roll that perfect shape.

You've lost the plot, kid.

use a nonstick pan exclusively for omelettes
learn how to move the custard around so that you cook it a little bit, then bring it to the top. You can move the spatula around in a pattern, but I usually just lift up an edge and let the excess run under and cook

nope hes right on target m8

youtube.com/watch?v=ak3uJGf6Bj0

>fucking ruins a perfectly fine omelet
>"WA LA!"

youtu.be/s10etP1p2bU
Jacques Pepin

Dumb frogposter

have you thought of you know, stop scrambling it?

Chef John has a video on it: youtube.com/watch?v=qXPhVYpQLPA
Personally, I think the only thing you need to make an omelette is an oiled surface in a non-stick pan. Pour in your egg mixture and cook it at a low temperature. After it's getting close to finishing, pour in whatever filling you want. Run the edge of your spatula around the rim of the omelette and then fold it over a few times.

Holy fuck she's wasting so much food.

Add more milk.

A French omelette is cooked very quickly on fairly high heat. Most people fail because their eggs stick to the pan or they're using too many eggs for the diameter of their pans. Ok, so traditionally, clarified butter was used to keep the eggs from sticking in conventional pans. When the milk solids are removed from the butterfat in this way the fat can be heated much hotter without burning, and a lot of it in a conventional pan prevents sticking by allowing the beaten eggs to hover on the hot fat without ever making actual contact with the metal. Nowadays, using a non-stick teflon type pan and non-clarified butter, you can achieve the same thing with a slightly cooler pan. However, you can still get some sticking if your pan or butter was too cold. When you watch all the videos out there where they cook on non-stick pans, you can see their butter is still hot enough that it's bubbling, just on the cusp of burning. This is really important.

And the other thing that gets people is just having too much egg in the pan. That first surface that hits the hot fat/hot pan is going to glide, but when you start to fold the omelette, a huge mass of cold, uncooked egg that spills out could drop the pan/oil temp to the point that it sticks. A little bit too much egg can be dealt with by lifting up a cooked edge and letting the uncooked liquid on the surface slide under it as you tilt the pan without crashing the non-stick temp target range. Way too much? nope, you're going to fail there, and when you don't, you'll fail on the folding because thick egg only bi-folds like a tortilla (which is almost always over-cooked). In my experience, a 9-12" pan cooks 2 eggs easily, and a 12"+ pan does 3 pretty well. Hope this helps you figure out what you're doing wrong.

Skip to 3:07

youtube.com/watch?v=s10etP1p2bU

He is the master and it is all a matter of technique/trial and error.

By the way, OP, don't feel bad. French omelettes are one of those deceptively simple dishes that are kind of difficult until the technique clicks. When they're good, though, they're really good. The next hurdle is getting just the right amount of curd/tenderness with carryover cooking taken into account. Luckily we have teflon pans now to make it easier to learn. I think it took me about 50 tries before mine looked and tasted the way they're supposed to.

Is this her first time making an omelette?
No salt or pepper?

Why is that tamal so yellow

Why would you even want to?

Every goddamn time I watch this guy, he's clearly the best

Yes.

every time i see a retro video like this I have to conclude people couldnt cook for shit back then, that omelet was a train wreck and then she just throws a half cup of dried dill on top. seem legit

her technique is perfect. it's also a cooking show from 45 years ago, so it makes sense that trends have moved away from having a fist full of parsley on everything

It's all in the pan desu
t. someone who made better omelettes in high school than now in college

I think she's drunk

Constant movement, lower heat when learning, dont let sny part sit too long, when it starts to set to wear you cant keep scrambling without breaking it up, spread liquid around and fold

Wasnt there a movie on this lady?

Probably, she brought french food to america basically (or rather, the trchniwues to that generation)
Imo shes overrated tho

Try more than 4 times
And remember to use a non stick pan

lowest heat and constantly break up the egg, until its set enough, then you wait til a foldable surface forms on the bottom and fold it, if you want to add cheese you add it before folding.anything else, including higher heat, is just about saving time, which is irrelevant for a single person at home

and use a tablespoon of butter

>metal fork on nonstick pan
>master
pick one

I got the curd fold ratio down with 10 omelets, however I just can't get the flipping correct. Have made some slightly lopsided ones. Probably a bit harder to get it to work cuz I'm using an iron skillet since I don't have much storage room for many pans.

French omlettes are creamy, delicious and go well with rice dishes for a quick but delicious meal. They're no where as heavy as a normal american omelette that are so full of ingredients eating a single one makes you feel like you just swallowed a brick.

>Wa La!

I've found the easiest way is to use a biiiig pan, so your egg mix covers the whole surface and cooks evenly, you don't even have to move it around, and it's much easier to roll it over itself.

Sweet and creamy! ^ω^

I think a sweet omelette would taste like shit. Best stick with crepes for that one.

She put the salt and pepper in the beaten eggs

It's probably not teflon
I recall that he got tons of pans for free and would do this because he just didn't give a fuck

Shake pan back and forth while stirring in a circular motion. Also med-low heat and lodse butter.

You have to be French retard

god those omelets look like my father's uncircumcised cock

So do all French omelettes.
Retard.

Awful that makes the egg taste so shit

>half an hour just to make an omelette
-_-

she makes like 100 omelettes

literally patience. start med heat,add mixed eggs, quickly stir for smallest curds. once you get enough, put heat to low, slowly roll, and wa la.

It's mostly just telling you different ways to make omelettes. The first omelette is made in the first 30 seconds.