Other urls found in this thread:

ditting.com/previous_models.htm
bestcoffee.guide/news/review-the-coffee-dictionary
waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=464768
waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=464646
mentalfloss.com/article/86777/best-coffee-roasters-all-50-states
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

shameless self bump

Once upon a time when I worked as a barista, my coworkers "broke" a brand new one of these grinders. 8 months later my boss and I were bored on a slow day and decided to mess with the broken grinder. We tipped it over, beans spilled out of the back, and suddenly it was functional again. Somehow my coworkers had gotten beans into the inner, non-grinder parts of the machine and lodged them in there.

Fucking. Nice. That's some serious top tier shit. That'd have been a score if you paid a few hundred for it. But free? Goddamn.

Got a pic of the burrs? I'm just curious which style it is.

I've got a Bunn modded with some Ditting 804 machined burrs, but I've always like the Ditting aesthetic better.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on this grinder?

Automatic grinders are for women.
Real men use MANual burrs

It's a Ditting of some kind, not totally sure which one. Older model for sure going by that lever. Maybe a kfr1003, kfr1203, or kfr1403. I'd bet 90% or kfr1403 by matching up the label layout to Ditting's page ditting.com/previous_models.htm

If I'm right the burrs are absolutely fucking huge, 140mm.

Looks to be missing a start stop lever and an indicator light. But that's relatively easy to fix.

If it has the newer machined burrs (it almost certainly doesn't), it's absolute top tier up with the EK43 and friends. If it has the old cast burrs, just one notch down from there long as they're still sharp. If the burrs are cast and you want to upgrade, get em from SSP instead of Ditting. Cheaper and straight up way better.

Too bad conical burrs have a shit particle distribution when compared to the most unimodal flat burrs and a modern flat burr manual grinder is impractical.

Also rpm effects grind distribution so you better have exactly perfect pacing.

Sup anons, I've been trying to step up my espressos for a short while now after having had decent to average shots for about 5 years at home. I'm currently using an 80s-90s shitty (but depressurized) espresso machine, a cheap chinese manual grinder, a non-precision kitchen scale and supermarket roasted beans (no idea when they were roasted).

What variables in the entire process would you say are the most important to watch out for to make a good espresso? I've been paying particular attention to my brew ratio and extraction time first and foremost since I don't have a lot of control over temperature with this machine. I've been using a 30%~33% ratio and a 28s extraction time and it's apparently as best as I'll get with my current setup

I'm going to upgrade my grinder in a week or two to an automatic burr grinder, and I'm currently awaiting for some higher quality roasted coffee beans in the mail (guy had it roasted and dispatched tuesday, might be here monday). Good recently roasted coffee beans are relatively easy for me to acquire where I live [spoiler]Brazil[/spoiler] but on the equipment front the grinder upgrade is the most I'll be able to get for a year or two.

>Months ago, buy manual grinder + french press + manual milk frother
>French press broke, forced to buy a moka pot
>Shit's delicious, yo

However, I feel like I may be doing something wrong...

My moka pot is a 6 cup pot... which basically fills half a mug. On top of that I use as many beans as I used to do with the french press, and every time I watch moka pot videos they fill the filter to the top. But I fill it just halfway.

On top of that, each time I prepare froth, it's nice and creamy but in ~3 to 5 minutes the foam goes down and it becomes regular milk. I've tried tapping it to remove the foam, stirring it, but nothing works. I pump for 20 seconds at least to make as much froth as possible.

Am I doing something wrong?

I love my coffee with lots of half & half

how many grams/tablespoons of coffee would you use in a 350ml french press?
also should i just upgrade to a bigger french press

The bottom WAS full of beans. I didn't try it before i cleaned/vacuumed it out, but it worked fine after clearing them out
Yup. KFR1203. Came from a Starbucks at some point by the logo SKU sticker on the back.

Last thot from craigslist whose burrs I calibrated gave me the clap.

Not sure about the frothing, but for the Moka you do want to fill it to the top of the basket. Not sure why but something about the physics of the water travelling up through the grounds.

Jesus fucking christ, that's about $1000 is it not? And you got it for fucking free.
Meanwhile I'm still stuck with my shitty Hario Mini Mill.

Depends how much coffee you drink, my mug fits about 350g of coffee, so if you subtract the water that stays in the grounds, 350 wouldn't fill my cup. I'd buy a bigger one. French presses are cheap.
And for 350g water use 25-30g coffee. I get a perfect cup with 35g coffee and 425g water.

Color me surprised it aint the 14. Great either way, should be 120mm burrs (an EK43 is only 98mm) if it is the 1203. Those are the old style cast burrs, which can be resharpened (by Ditting directly or SSP). Probably need it to be at it's peak again if it was used commercially, but it's hard to tell from a picture. Still gonna be better than 90% of grinders either way.

Look into Anonymous and Aergrind for some options under $100. About $75 and $85 respectively. Until then, get it ground at the roaster when you buy it. It'll be better than the utter garbage the Hario makes even a week out.

I'm looking into getting them resharpened and even made a ghettorigged on/off switch out of a block of wood for now. Can't get the calibration right with the spring that goes in the adjusting knob installed, but it works just fine without it.

I call this my "coffee corner". Rate me.

Try shooting an email to SSP grinding to compare their sharpening price to straight from Ditting. They do some seriously amazing work, probably the first major leap in burr tech in years, and are generally cheaper than Ditting/Mahlkonig for new burrs. Not sure how they combare for reworking em. As a bonus they do coatings too if you're into that.

>pre-ground coffee
0/10

What does the surface cleaner taste like?

>pre ground
>pods

Thanks, user. I'll check out both.

Why do you have cleaning supplies in your pod corner but no tools to dissemble pods for proper disposal?

>pre-ground
oh sweet summer child

What's everyone's beef with pre-ground coffee? It's packaging in foil, air-tight packets so it's just as fresh as it was when ground. Once I've opened them, I keep the grounds in an air tight container anyway (see photo).

Clementine. I always use Method's stuff.

It's just near the sink. I don't typically buy the pods you see in the photo - those were just discounted. I usually buy compostable pods.

Personally, I was just giving you shit because I'm a picky snob, I prefer keeping whole beans in air-tight containers and grind what I need on the spot. Now if you used unfiltered tap water...

Anybody?

Coffee gives off gases. Even if you totally NASA level pure vacuum seal it or nitrogen flush the bags, CO2 still leaves the coffee and carries with it the volatile flavor compounds.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too, it shouldn't be a huge problem if you practically piss coffee like I do, but storing ground coffee fucks up the flavor

Buy a Smart Grinder, you dipshits.

I'll keep it right next to my Smalt and Juicero.

whatever, asshole. I own one and it's the best grinder. Go live your shitty life.

Do I need to dial that down for your form of piece of shit?

ground coffee only retains it's flavor properties for a few hours before it goes stale, you're drinking coffee that's was ground up to a whole year ago and claiming it's just as good as whole bean, which just isn't true.

Tone it down, shill.
Your aggression just makes it look like you're trying too hard to fit in, making your viral marketing attempt that much more obvious.

No, I'm just fucking sick of you dullards. Buy whatever you want. I, in ever single way, don't give a shit what you do. Buy what you want you stupid stupid asshole. I don't care, I just hate watching you sound like a dumb cunt. But being a dumb cunt is our world. Go get a nice hand grinding thing that you like, like you would.

lets all grind our stupid cunt grinds.. so we're not shills.

how much do they pay you per post?

See, what you're doing there is toning it up.
Now you've gone beyond viral marketing and have ventured into just plain shitposting.

Hey OP I repair coffee equipment for a living. You scored nice there. Looks like it's missing the paddle for the on switch but dittings are work horses and amazing. Burrs will run you up to 300$ but for personal use you should only have to buy them once.

drink dirt. We'll all win, bro! I'll make what I always make. God I need to shill.

>people pay $1000 for a coffee grinder
lmao

you know you're dumber than dogshit. Why do you keep posting?

>>people pay $1000 for a coffee grinder
>lmao

Ditting KR1203 retails for 4.3k

Observe how the shill, having been spotted, chooses to double down on his persona rather than quietly withdrawing.
His manager won't give him his tendiebux if he doesn't put the required effort into his job.

And how does it compare to the same beans ground in the one I got for 20 bucks?
Do they suck your dick before hopping into the hot water?

I'm all for getting a high-end product but I really don't see how this could possibly be worse such a price.

I hope you're not actually suggesting people buy industrial grinding equipment for home use.

It's commercial equipement meant to grind more than 50 pounds a day. No one said you had to buy it for your house faggot. It's just quality shit OP got for cheap. It's much better than some 20$ blade grinder you get at Target, but a Baratza for home use is more economical and smaller.

You're going into this thread thinking everyone needs to buy a commercial grinder for their house instead of that's cool guy got a really expensive grinder for 50$.

> (You)
>I hope you're not actually suggesting people buy industrial grinding equipment for home use.

Where did you read that? You are a moron. Someone said lol to a 1000$ grinder just saying they get more expensive. OPs grinder new is more than 1k.

Memes aside, whats the best grinder for home use that's not too expensive?
I know a lot of people like the Baratza Encore, but is it worth the $130 for it?
Right now I have a Hario Skeleton and some Cuisinart grinder my friend gave me for free, which works alright but the plastic parts are a fucking coffee magnet and it's a pain in the ass to clean.

Why do people make fun of me for buying aldi coffee?

Baratza is worth it. They have a really good warranty program and another program that you can get it repaired after for fairly cheap.

recommend a grinder that's under $200.00 please?
i'd also consider spending more if there was a compelling argument to do so.

i'm sick of getting coffee from a cafe and i also don't like pre-ground coffee and i also don't really like grinding at the the store myself

Bodum Bistro's OK
>conical burr
>glass grounds container so no static
>under $100

Got mine for $50 because it was a sickening green colorway and the store couldn't get rid of them at full price

I've read that these can't grind coarse enough for french press, which is weird considering bodum is famous for their french presses.
Is it ok for Chemex?

Meaning I should use more beans. Thank you!

I use mine for press and it's fine.

If anything you need a smaller pot.
Moka makes a strong espresso simulating brew, you shouldn't be filling a whole mug with it unless you're a hardened caffeine addict who needs a bigger fix

The Ditting produces a more even grind than any home grinder. No home grinders can compete with the Ditting bulk grinders, Mahlkonig EK43, or Compak R series. It's impossible to achieve the same quality of extraction with a lesser grinder.

Aergrind from Knock. $85 if you order it now.

Do any of you have a best coffee (or tea) book to read? Not about any one brand or something, just all about coffee or tea in general? Sort of like The Drunken Botinist is for drinks and their ingredients, but for coffee/tea.

All of the classical tea literature is in Chinese.
There's The Book of Tea, written in English by a Japanese, but it's more about the history of the culture surrounding tea than tea itself

They're just jealous.

I've only been using this baby for ~a day and gotta say homeboy is right. Fucking perfect coffee after wasting a bag dialing it in

Hm... I need some coffee maker that allows me to fill half a mug. Or I could just keep using as much coffee as I currently do, it still works and it's not that strong.

For Coffee, consider The Coffee Dictionary which has only just come out:

bestcoffee.guide/news/review-the-coffee-dictionary

Hi and welcome to Veeky Forums!
Please purchase a self-serve ad on Veeky Forums so I can block it.

okay?

First sip of the day is this brazilian roast from Taylors of Harrogate. Notes of hazelnut, chocolate and malt.

Just tried a dark roast for the first time in my life...
...It's fucking disgusting.

??

That's because you bought trash.

Gimme a good, normal priced, dark roast preground to buy in Bongistan.

>inb4, whole beans, grinding, equipment, laa dee daa dee daa, meme techiniques.
I ain't got time to get autistic about coffee.

ALL dark roast is trash.

And coffee is trash in general if you don't get autistic about it or buy it from someone who does.

Well, I suppose I'll go back to medium roast pregrounds. Maybe they're trash by Veeky Forums standards but they do me just fine.
>Asda extra special organic nicaraguan (sadly discontinued)
>Asda extra special ethiopian
>Starbucks colombian
>Starbucks standard
>Costa standard
>Lavazza standard red

But redpill me on dark roasts then. Why do they exist if they're all trash? Who buys them?

Try Union's Revelation Blend. As far as I'm aware, Waitrose is the only high-street stockist:

Ground:
waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=464768

Wholebean:
waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=464646

If you're open to buying from online stores, you should also try Pact. I believe their house blend is a dark roast. If that's too much, try Plantalto blend which is excellent. There are a ton more roasters in the UK selling their stuff online, so have a look around.

Modern Standard is another roaster and their coffee is stocked in Sainsburys and Waitrose. I can't remember which of their blends are dark, but their house one was great.

Taylors coffee is stocked in most supermarkets and varies in quality. Their newer single origin ones that look like are good though. Try the one which is called 'cacao' something.

If you're still unsure whether you like dark roasts, it'd be better to go to a speciality coffeeshop where the baristas can ensure it's made properly. Where are you in the UK? If you're in the south, there are plenty I can recommend.

They let the roaster buy cheaper green coffee and burn it to mask the not so good flavor. As well as insuring consistency, it's easy to hit "fucking burnt" every time. Not as easy to hit the exact same profile with a light roast.

They're popular because of older people nostalgic for when coffee meant burnt Folgers in a percolator.

Ah, makes sense. I guess I'll stick to medium.

Thanks for this. I probably will check out Union's, next time I walk past a Waitrose. Just to make sure I'm not missing out on dark roast.

The others though...nah, too pricey. I don't need god-tier coffee, just something good enough for a cheap price (coffee isn't a one-off, it's an every day thing. Economy is important lel).

One other question -
I know there are probably good (Arabica obv) beans from everywhere, but would you say one region is overall better than the others? Broad regions. I.e.
>Latin America
>East Africa
>SE Asia
Like how, you CAN grow wine in Germany, even England. Some of it might even be surprisingly nice. But ultimately, it's only ever gonna be imitating the true shit, from the Med. Is it like that with coffee?

thanks anons, i'll look into those

any other recommendations for a nice grinder in the range of $200 or less??

>Cost
What kind of price are you looking for? If you're going for pre-ground coffee, a 227gram bag is typically around £2-4. For that price range, the Taylors stuff you can pick up in the supermarket is probably your best bet. I'm not sure what the supermarket own brand ones are like, but I know Waitrose's own also goes on deal quite regularly.

>Regions
They all have different qualities and to be honest, I can't really tell the exact source of a coffee when I taste it. Don't worry about the origin of the coffee too much at first - there's so much that goes into it (process, roasting) before you've even started whatever brew method you use that it can be hard to pin down a favourite region at first. Just find a decent roaster and let them curate for you.

Lido and Kinu M38 both fit, but are more expensive than the Aergrind for basically the same thing.

Post your morning cup!

What coffee?

barissimo donut store blend

Here you go user.

Hey Veeky Forums,
I just got myself a french press, after years of Keurig pods, for the hell of it.
I remembered that I have some ground coffee in the freezer, otherwise I have a bunch of kcups.
What do? Can I tear open the kcups and brew that? Can I brew the frozen ground coffee?
What do Veeky Forums

Also, what kind of coffee should I buy?

Any brand recommendations for cold brew? I like coffee dark.

>Can I tear open the kcups and brew that?
You could, but they're a fine grind optimized for drip brewing so it is less than ideal
>Can I brew the frozen ground coffee?
You can, but freezing coffee degrades it somewhat as ice crystals shred it from the inside. Try not to freeze coffee if you can avoid it.

You should be buying whichever kind of coffee you wish, ideally freshly roasted, and ground to a coarse grind

Just get an el cheapo whirly blade grinder and find some local freshly roasted beans. French press can make really good kaffee. I only got this big ass grinder bc my fiance and I are getting a Rancilio Silvia. But I've used a Bodum blade for years.
>mentalfloss.com/article/86777/best-coffee-roasters-all-50-states

Don't do thie unless you want shit coffee.

Blade chopper is fine for coarse grind if you pulse it

dumbass.

Wrong. Particle distribution is paramount to quality coffee and blade grinders are incapable of a unimodal grind.

let's see your grinder, pal.
>mfw you don't even have one
>mfw I have no face

Save that autism for pourover, thanks.
Press is for people with jobs.

EG-1 for espresso
Bunnzilla for pourover
Jericho for press

But I don't recommend everyone go this autism. Just like $85 for an Aergrind (used to recommend $150 for a Feldgrind before the Aergrind undercut it) and call it done.

High quality grind is even more important for press than pourover. Not that v60 takes any longer than press anyway, especially with a method like Rao's that involves one pour. Way faster cleanup too.

>pourover autism

See, this is why we can't have nice threads.

>Oh... it's espress/bro/
Probably know what you're talking about

>"hey user, cool microscope!"
>"i-it's actually one of my three coffee grinders"

I think this may match even audiophile autism

also please tell me you use that hardware bench for something else