What's the deal with airline food?

What's the deal with airline food?

No, seriously, I've never traveled by plane before, so I don't know. What so bad about it? Why does everybody complain?

Other urls found in this thread:

nextshark.com/airlines-economy-first-class-food/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I always enjoyed them. People are probably don't like because it's not a happy meal. Fucking fatties.

Mass packaged food that can be prepared in a pseudo-kitchen. Also, your ability to taste is reduced when you're in a plane.

People sometimes expect more out of meals that have to be served 40000ft in the air without conventional kitchens.

I've never had food on a plane that isn't potato chips or pretzels.
For the most part it seems the "actual" food is just sandwiches and the like.
Nothing particularly offensive but I guess some people want something other than a sandwich.

its not that bad. im just glad i get food at all when i go international

1. It's basic shit like a sandwich, or sometimes just pretzels, peanuts, or chips. They're not required to provide meals under a certain amount of hours in flight.
2. The higher the altitude, the less flavor you can taste, so pretty much any food served on an airplane is going to taste worse than it would on the ground.

I've never had a bad experience with airline food. I've flown internationally with Asiana and Air Canada and both were very good

the low humidity in airplanes affects your sense of smell, and the lower air pressure desensitizes your taste buds

They're basically just low grade tv dinners coupled with the fact that the air pressure interferes with your sense of taste.

Every time I've had anything more than pretzels it was something like chicken pasta salad. It's fine? I dunno.

I would disagree. I'd say they're more like high-end tv dinners.

It annoys me that they don't serve peanuts on planes anymore. I get that it's to protect those with weak genetics, but still, it was one of the only things that tasted great on a plane.

>never been on an airplane
#justflyoverthings

but those sickeningly buttery pretzels man

What airline? On American the pretzels are dry and bland.

I've been on long 11 hour flights to Japan and they always served chicken terriyaki or some beef Japanese meal
its just like a microwavable dinner, its serviceable

on smaller, shorter flights, they serve peanuts or shitty pretzels . sometimes you can get honey roasted peanuts.

Its just pre packaged meals like a tv dinner but not frozen. I deliver food to the places that make the dinners sometimes. They order high grade meat.

They make them in kitchens on the ground and package them, then get reheated in air. They are normally bland but thats because they have to serve the same shit to everyone.

Why do people even care?
Do they expect some michelin-starred shit in a flying cramped metal tube?
Just fucking suck it up

I skip all the food, pop a benedryl and go to sleep. I unusually will get some shitty airport food before boarding to tide me over, although I should confess that I've never been in an airplane for more than 6 hours without a layover.

>Also, your ability to taste is reduced when you're in a plane.
Explain yourself.

not him but:
>lower pressure
>less blood in nostrils and tongue
>distracting factors such as being on a fucking plane, or that fucking headache many people get, or simply just fear

It used to be bad. Thats not a problem anymore.

I'm cheap so I flew Jet Blue

They gave me some blue corn chips and a coke.

It was ok.

Because most people don't fly good airlines or 1st class. They end up in the sardine section and fed as much.

Must depend on the airline, I flew KLM about a week ago and we got nuts on the plane.

Holy shit you fucking flyover

Only good airline food is the desserts

the joke doesn't resonate anymore since the mid 90s when the airlines actually fed you, even if it was trash

Sounds like bullshit to me

I normally like it on long-haul international flights.

What I don’t like is how if I go to sleep I might miss free booze.

thank you captain fuckface

Asiana to Korea is always good food.

In a couple days I’m flying Lima to Toronto with Air Canada and I’m doubtful the food will be any good; Air Canada always disappoints.

If I have the choice international I go for Delta.

Growing up, my uncles job was to drive semi trucks from the factory to the customer, and then fly back, so he flew constantly, and he always had mountains of those free airline peanuts. Loved those things.

Now it’s usually some disgusting gluten free dog biscuits :(

Airplane food tastes ok for executive class and actually great for first class. If you ride planes in the economic class you're a peasant who belongs in a sweatshop not talking about food you can't afford on the internet.

southwest still serves peanuts

fuck yeah they do

Oh, go choke on your bubble tea you faggoty coastie.

>What so bad about it?
People ride in economy and complain when they get mashed potatoes and a chicken breast.
If you ride business or 1st (you rich faggot) then you get pretty fucking good meals, especially on international flights.

Most people don't take redeye flights, they take a series of connected 1-2 hour flights which don't serve meals.

I found that the food in business class tends to be acceptable as well.

when I fly Alaska out of seattle I get the cheese plate. $6 with local Beecher's cheese, some decent brie and some other cheddar, with grapes and crackers

nextshark.com/airlines-economy-first-class-food/

Confirmed for not ever flying on a good airline or 1st class. lol

As someone who flys internationally very oftenly I have a formula to pick the best meals while flying.

The general rule is if it doesn't have a sauce, don't order it. Also avoid any other rice other than white rice.

Allow for the fact that you can ask for bread as much as you want, and alcohol is free. So stock up on them carbs, down a few Jacks and be an annoying prick to your neighbor.

>Le look at me I'm so rich xD

No retard, you don't buy first class unless someone else is paying or your claiming it as a business expense. Literally every 1%er I met goes by this rule.

these are things you can google

I'm old enough to have flown when actual conventional meals were served on normal flights so I'll chip in here. Imagine the worst TV dinner you've ever eaten. For me, that's a Swanson turkey dinner. Now imagine it being more dry, more unevenly cooked, and even less flavorful in the proper ways and more flavorful in all of the wrong ways. That's the deal with airline food, or at least it used to be. I don't think I've had anything more than pretzels or peanuts on an airplane in ~20 years. Regardless, it wasn't really the airlines fault. Tickets got so cheap they needed to more people in even less space so the days of having steak midair weren't coming back. Never actually got to experience that one.

It depends on the flight. If you're doing some local trash flight that's like 2 hours then don't expect shit. Expect the stewardesses to be old cunts who treat you like a burden or annoying homos. That said, Alaska air is decent for within the US.

If you are leaving the country then do yourself a favor and take a real airline. Singapore is fucking great. All the girls are slim, and well-kept. The male flight attendants are more like managers, they won't be the ones bringing you food and pillows. And there are a ton of workers, instead of the fucking jew bare-minimun like united or american airlines. The food will be something like a salmon filet, a code filet, roast chicken or a noodle dish. Fresh fruit and decent bread. Coffee or tea. Free drinks, beer, wine, juice etc. No charging to eat a dry pretzel.

>1%ers not owning their own luxury plane

You've never met a 1%er all you've met are liars.

1%er was really a figure of speech, I meant the insanely wealthy (People who earn $1,000,000+ per year).

Arline food is a complete non issue. I understand that americans are really at but the rest of the world can spend 7 or so hours without needing to stuff their pie holes wih food.

Most replies here seem to be about bitching about peanuts and sandwiches on short, domestic flights in the US.

In Australia, most short domestic flights usually don't provide anything other than water, tea, and instant coffee unless you want to pay for it (unless business class or better).

Flying anywhere worthwhile internationally is usually 12-24 hours, and the food is generally not horrible, but at the same time, I've always believed that the food is engineered to intentionally cause mild constipation, which coupled with mild dehydration, prevents any mid-air toilet malfunctions.

It usually takes me a good day or two to get my bowels regular again.

I like it. Of course I only fly business class so I eat a lot better than the plebs down the back of the plane.

Mostly a 90s meme, desu. It was really shitty then; quality has vastly improved in 20 years, although there was really no way to go but up.

>such as being on a fucking plane
Is this a thing most people experience? I've never had the chance to fly but I'm terrified of it anyway.

Being on a plane is as mundane as being in a car except for the take off / landing. However, planes are noisy as fuck, there is low air pressure (so your ears and nostrils suffer a bit), and you're cramped in a tiny rigid seat with a fat fuck stealing your armrest next to you for many hours.

>Singapore is fucking great
This, dim sum in the lounge, great food in the air.

Okay one, if you're on a bullshit 2-3 hour flight you really don't want anything. I've found those kinds of flights you want to get over with as quickly as possible.

For everything else, never take an American airline. Holy fuck, I was only in business class and food on JAL was great. Those nips really turned that airline around.

>pop a benadryl
Fuck, that's genius. I need to self medicate more often.

I only ride cheap airplanes. I get my pretzels and enjoy them in silence like everyone else.

Yeah it was probably that, not a happy meal. The code has been cracked.

I go as cheap as I can on flights usually. I'll suffer the discomfort and spend the savings at a really nice actual restaurant when I land.
Lufthansa usually give me a decent cheese sangewedge and a beer without charging me while Norwegian want like $5 for a cup of coffee.
I'll usually pack a nice lunch and eat it before going through security, and of course take a couple empty bottles through and fill them with water in the restrooms.
Maybe that makes me a cheapskate but I just don't think it's reasonable to pay three or four dollars for a half liter of water.

It's very real actually.

There's also less oxygen and moisture in the air. The oxygen leads to reprioritizing senses and the moisture makes it harder to smell, and therefore taste.

Fuck those eletists

For me eating at high altitude is like going to a restaurant.

You get your meal, booze, tv. What else do you need.

It works for long haul flights though.

I had super times at Finnair(unlimited drinks), Emirates, Thai, Air Astana, KLM.
Its always an adventure.

British airways serving booze even on 45 minutes flights! You cant beat it.

Oh how the times have changed

All the little compartments make it feel kinda cosy.

>Americans discussing flying

>yeah can i have the rump cut of the cow please oh and a bottle of your finest champagne actually whilst your at it i'll also have some caviar
fuck off retard

>Flying anywhere that takes less than 14 hours to get there

Poorfags...

>wanting to fly to other countries
POORFAGS PHEW BOYS AMIRIGHT

Kinda gross when you realize the unopened packages of shit get redistributed. I get that they were unopened, but some sneezing shit hands had their paws on them. So that hard as a rock bread roll has probably bounced around a bit.
They meals also keep getting worse as they try to appease every pseudo-aggrieved group.
Delta once had a godlike spicy breakfast croissant that I haven't seen in years.
They served some kind of pizza snack years ago too.
Now it's all shit. I got a package of olives and some humus on one trip. What the fuck is that? Plus it was a flight to Europe. Not Shitakistan.

I’ve flown international many times and still am unsure about the rules around the free booze.

Once when flying on a Korean airline (forget which one) when they came around to offer booze I asked for the makgoli. The flight attendant said nobody ever asks for that, even the Koreans, and she gave me a whole large unopened bottle (which I drank quickly so as to get more free booze). That was a good flight.

>Cuts of meat and good bread
>Alcohol
>Nothing to compliment either
why

You do know they pressurize the plane, right?

But it's not pressurized to sea level pressure.

I've flown first class numerous times. The food is almost always TV dinner college cafeteria tier

Or are your tastebuds just mangled from being such a giant cocksucker your whole life?

Don't forget the kerosene fumes from the shitty bleed-air pressurization system.

Guess it depends on the first class. Are we talking intercontinental Lufthansa-tier first class or LAX-JFK first class?

>10 years old returning from spring break vacation with my dad
>plane was delayed a bunch so i ask a stewardess if i can have a ton of peanuts as compensation
>they gave me a complete, unopened bulk storage cardboard box of 5,000 peanut packets
i was the coolest kid in school because id pass em out at recess. good times

top 1% for the us makes like 380k a year. thats not enough to own a private jet

Perpetuating this belief works in favor of the airline. You can give mediocre food and people wil low expectations will walk away feeling it turned out better than expected.

Both. Its nothing great. If you want truly enjoyable quality meals then the Emirati airliners are definitely going to actually provide that

anyone have a peanut allergy

>mark the peanut man, they might call me

Attendants will cut you off if you get too drunk/belligerent.

I got down 7 Canadian Clubs before I had to take a break

only recent international flight with actual meals was 50/50. Aer Lingus, on the way to Ireland served pretty shitty shepherd's pie. On the way back to US, the beef stroganoff was good.