Stoves

Gas or Electric?
Personally, I look down on those that do not have a gas range, the patrician heat source.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BcSqJ7sZiAQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

gas those without gas

Gas is best because you can visibly see and finely tune how hot the burner is, since the flame strength is readily apparent.

that easy clean glass top tho

You can't do hot knives on a range though

I'm a poorfag and have electric, used to have a gas stove in my old apt and gas is superior in every way. I don't think anyone will actually argue otherwise, they're just forced to use electric because of circumstances

Americans just whinge about electric stoves because they only only have 110 volts going to their homes.

Sure thing shit skin

actually, most stove tops in the US are electric.
back home nearly everyone cooks with gas.

t. Dutchman studying in the hamburger continent

Guess you must have missed the day at electricians school where they explained stoves are 220V

>stoves in America are only 220V
Depressing. Around here, they normally have 400V

aren't volts meaningless anyway? i thought it was all about amps

Veeky Forums - home wiring

When I lived with my parents I had Gas but then when I moved out the apartment that I could afford only had Electric, this fucking shit me as I'm big into my cooking and with Electric the temputure didn't adjust properly so for any dish that I made that required me to lower the temputure throughout cooking I would have to run two hot plates at the same time for one pan.

Nah, they are important. Electric stoves not using induction are all about how many Watts you can generate on the cooking field. Since V × A = W, more Volts lets you use less Amps for the same Watts. Low Amp high Volt is just more efficient in most situations, including stoves.

Those bare coils are indeed shit, they don't even exist in Europe (at least not in Germany). Glass top is better and way easier to clean than either bare coils or gas. But the best source is induction. Twice as fast as gas AND it comes with a glass top. If you boil stuff like pasta, potato or milk and it boils over it doesn't even burn into the top or smoke, because nothing gets hotter than than the boiling point of the liquid. Just wipe the stuff away after cooking with a wet rag, done. The only gripe I have with induction is the poor adjustability in the low range.

Have ceramic stovetop. It's a fucking joke. Shit takes forever to heat up, inconsistent heating, and once you finally get it to the optimal heat, the standby kicks in and it isn't long before the temp dips. I miss gas.

Why are those knives in there like that?

Why don't you guys like induction?

I have it. it's the best thing ever

electric. I'm too stupid for gas.

I wish I was kidding. It's for the best that I don't have access to it.

This. The real question is Ceramic or Induction?

Protip: Tired of microwave/boiled hot dog trash, but dont wanna bother with the grill? Cook your hot dogs directly over the burner flame!

Mmm gassy dogs, delicious!!

It all depends on quality of gas. I am switching to electric induction, because type of gas was changed recently in my place and now it sucks.

induction

If you have a range though, you're less likely to be white trash and more likely to be able to afford real, safer smoking apparatuses that don't give you cancer and don't waste hash

Gas advantages: nimble temp control, s'mores
Induction advantages: safety, easy cleaning.
Normal electric advantages: more of a challenge I guess

Actually the power calculated for a non-induction stove =I^(2)*R so it is about amps and the resinstance of the stove coils.
For an induction it's a little more complicated because you need A.C. and that requires trig.

Gas is better for the range part, but unless you get an expensive as fuck one with excellent insulation, that oven in the summer will raise the temp in your kitchen by 20 degrees. When I visited my brother for 4th of july his wife was baking pies and you couldn't stand to be in the kitchen eventhough they had an air conditioner.

Nimble temp control is not an advantage over induction. It has way better temperature control than gas.

Get Non Cheap induction and be happy. Gas Is Better Tho

I had an induction stove at my old house and my new place has gas. Got to say I prefer gas 10 times over. The only thing induction does better than gas is boil water. Other than that, it doesn't get as hot and heat distribution is absolute garbage.

Electric is for poverty tier niggers and apartment fags. The range is almost always maintained like shit.

Getting non cheap induction means replacing all your kitchenware to one that are compatible with induction. Usually induction compatible kitchenware is more expensive and has less choice

For me is wood

It's the same either way. For a fixed stove setup, the resistance is the same and the power scales with both V^2 and A^2

induction is a mess to clean and sucks ass when you spill something onto the hot area, and sometimes the touchscreens are ass retarded, gas is the best

Gas. Electric is shit, but required for most apartment complexes.

Correct. Which is why you use beefy wires and large amp breakers. It is still limited by the resistance of the coils themselves. They will not draw more power than they are rated. Good luck getting an electric stove where 1 burner is using more than 2,500 watts/8,530 BTUs. Compared to a gas stove hob which can range from 7,500BTUs to 18,000BTUs depending on the design.

I've worked with both, and I'd have to say gas, but don't feel too bad if you have to use electric.

I live in apartment so I can only have electric

As someone who grew up with nothing but gas ranges, it's not as bad as I expected. Only complaint is how annoying they are to clean.

Nah. My stove causes a pot of water to boil over easily.

We bitch about them because they heat unevenly and are for faggots.

Same. Gas is best (unless you're lucky enough to have an Aga). Electric is awful. We're looking for a house right now, and one of my requirements is that it either has or will take a gas range and oven without having to do any remodel. I don't want to put up with electric for even a fucking DAY.

My shitty apartment has a gas stove.

It turned out to be a godsend when hurricane Sandy hit NY and killed the power in my area for two weeks.

Gas is for faggots, real talk.

Induction or old style electric. Don't want to rely on valves and shit to not die.

Doesn't matter what your heat source is, it's what you can do with it. My guess is you can only cook ramen.

gas is best.

however you newbs will encounter recipes online that require "medium" ,"low", "set burner to x" and that's when you know you don't have any business on this board, know your flame, know your heat, bitch I can cook poptarts faster than you can in a microwave on a gas range now.

gas
t. someone stuck with electric
if u had a range u could just light ur spliff with that

i prefer electric over gas; gas company used to charge out the wazoo for it

>Gas stoves generally achieve (if you can call it an achievement) 30% efficiency, meaning 30% of the energy in the gas heats up the food in the saucepan, frypan or pot.

You lose 70% of energy when cooking with gas that just heats up the air oppose to 25% for induction, i've notice that when i cook with gas my hands heat up a lot when stirring or doing anything close to it because the waisted heat rises to your hands making it hard to cook.

>cook poptarts
Here we have the "gas is superior" demographic.

An electric red glowing stove like that does look fucking cool though.

What kind of uses are there for half a pan?

Melting half a chocolate plate.

The shittest of them all, except for bread and pizza baking, which then its arguably the best

Lets you cook oysters on a half shell better

Yes. I like my stoves looking like they are trying to rocket down. This stop - pasta. Next stop - the center.

Portion control

But there also is absolutely no precision, and that meme stat about induction doesn't take the time to have the thing heat up.

>Meme
>Doesn't even know how induction works
It heats up almost instantaneously, unlike gas. That's part of the efficiency.
It's also why the "muh gas fine control" meme is absolutely retarded seeing as induction gives you far better fine control.

It is for wok use.

>P = V * I
>V = IR
>Claim it's not V*I but instead (IR) * I
Come on man.

and meat, chiken and fish

Serious questions because I've only ever used gas: Can an induction stove top allow you to have half the pan hot and half the pan not like you can by only putting half the pan over the fire?
And can the induction stove top still heat the pan without it making direct contact?

>can the induction stove top still heat the pan without it making direct contact
Nigga, do you even know what induction is? Heating the pan without direct contact is the whole point.

Fucking magnets, how do they work?

>smoking that doesn't give you cancer
Vaping?

bump

at least someone understands

>heating cycles
>better fine control
choose one or buy this for the low low price of $1,800

I love my induction top but fine control is definitely not its forte, especially where you need it most, in the low power range, for simmering and delicate stuff. Lowest setting is 400W, that is still way too much power. And the on/off cycling power regulation would need to be three or four times quicker to really work well.

Is that a retro portable CD player?

For $1,800 it ought to play CDs too, but no. It's a Breville Control Freak™. I would actually like to own one, I just can't convince myself to spend that much on one.

It's bigger than I thought.
youtube.com/watch?v=BcSqJ7sZiAQ

Looks amazing though, but not really in my price range either.

Yeah. I would love to have one for stocks, poaching, warm holding, and, as your video suggested, delicate sauces, but I can't justify the price. I broke my glass top while making stock on it (they're not good for large pots), so I finally have a gas range. I am very happy with it, of course, but I still use a portable electric burner for making stock in my garage (hot climate sucks with a burner going all the time in an air conditioned space). Having something like this would allow me to keep it on the counter as well as have an extra, very capable burner, so it's tempting, just not tempting enough.

Yeah, bro. You can compare shitty induction with proper gas if you want but I could always compare this one with pic related too.