>recipe asks for pancetta
>look it up
>it's just bacon
>later on, find pancetta in the store, it's literally marked up bacon

Why do people do this?

because pancetta is not just any bacon.
and probably because you live in a shithole

you're supposed to use guanciale

Imagine is americans were banned from this fucking board. How glorious it would be.

i know rite, we could talk about frogs legs and fried animal dicks in peace finally

This.

Agreed. We could get rid of dumb posts such as

you second language english mother fuckers need us to point out your typos tho

Because it's LITERALLY not 'just bacon'... that's like saying prosciutto is 'just bacon' feckin goon

But prosciutto is just bacon... so I don't get your point

>Why do people do this?

Confuse bacon with pancetta? I dunno.

the curing is different

No, prosciutto is not bacon. Pork yes, but that is it. Pancetta and bacon come from pork belly yes but their preparation and curing is different. Prosciutto is a different cut altogether.

Pancetta is quite a bit different than bacon. In the first place, bacon is generally just cured with salt and sugar, whereas pancetta uses other spices like thyme, pepper, juniper berries, fennel, etc. Secondly, bacon is smoked and pancetta is not smoked and that right there changes the entire dish if substituted. Thirdly, pancetta is rolled and tied tightly. So no, pancetta is not just "bacon" because they both happen to be pork bellies, retard

prosciutto is ham

>substituting bacon for pancetta
Do Americans really do this?

I can appreciate the idea for differentiating between pork products but to relegate prosciutto to the realm of ham is an injustice. Prosciutto di Toscano is far superior even to Jamon di Imberco imo.

Some probably do, just like how some Europeans boil feckin steak...yes, your shit stinks too

Italians are basically white niggers who like to be pretentious.
The French are the same with their fancy ass names for everything basic.

Do you get to say that because of your black privilege?

The French are all about Haute Cuisine when in reality you can have good that's just as, if not more, delicious for Xth the price and much less effort. I respect the craft and art of cooking but they'd have you convinced they are the end all/be all of food.

>Jamon di Imberco

Except that you guys don't talk your own language correctly and think you do only because you are American

Cashmeoussidehowbowdah?

god forbid I spell anything correctly... Jamon de Iberco is a Spanish type of prosciutto that is really good but not worth the high price point. The Toscano is basically the same only from Italy not Spain and is less expensive but more flavorful

>Anime poster
>Dumb

Really gets my kettle whistling

os iberico the same as serrano? because serrano tastes better than prosciutto but they are totally diferent.

nah mate, similar maybe. When thinking about ham think soft and kinda thick an floppy...cured stuff like the iberco is more thin an firm

>1 post/hr
>Flood of posts during shitcuntposting window
Sounds Aussie.

>The curing
We pump our pigs full of antibiotics so we don't have to eat the sick ones.

Imagine if OBSESSEDs were banned from this fucking board. How great it would be.

It's more that you get whiny af about everything, your response here is case in point. Like if you could hack the banter and actually made decent contributions to the conversations we wouldn't shit on you guys so much.

I saw an asian recipe for Carbonara where they used bacon instead of pancetta or guanciale.
They also used cream so the whole thing was just wrong to begin with.

British people have a perverted version of carbonara just like that from Italian immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th century.

Second this.

PANCETTA: CURED, UNSMOKED
BACON: CURED, SMOKED

PLEASE EVERYONE STFU NOW THAT WE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE

Should I add liquid smoke if I use pancetta?

Watching some shitty cooking you tube channel. Cook is going to make arroz con pollo, This just means chicken and rice in spanish. Her recipe is just plain jane chicken and rice. Why not just call it chicken and rice why try to make it seem cooler by calling it something else. You dont see people in hispanic country going " Ahora vamos a hacer Chiken and rice !

Shut up nigel, its litteraly just bacon.

Prosciutto is disgusting, why the hell does it have some turpentine after taste.

> Duhhh you dont talk good ya wanka fancy a cuppa and some bicuits duugghhh

Its you guys don't speak your language well

>litteraly
tard

>tard

It's retarded you hasselhof.

Actually, it's surprisingly common practice in Latin American countries. Not the obvious stuff which clearly is common food from the country (for example, rice and beans), but I know plenty of places that serve "BBQ pork ribs".

t. UMA DELICIA

>this just means chicken and rice in spanish
>why call it something else
are you having a stroke m8?

arroz con pollo implies you flavored the rice with tomato paste and chicken boullion

yeah, "ribs" became an ubiquitous term for the specific way of cooking BBQ pork ribs in here too, and we're spanish speakers

Don't you have to lube up for your daily council weapons inspection and tv license extortion payment?

Cheeseburgers are another example. Hell, I know a place that serves paletas and actually calls it paletas.

So chicken and spanish rice.

yeah but everyone understands "arroz con pollo" to mean spanish rice and chicken

So its chicken and rice.

Do you call spaghetti bolognese "pasta with tomato sauce and ground meat"? It's called arroz con pollo because it's prepared a certain way. All arroz con pollo is rice with chicken, but not all rice with chicken is arroz con pollo.

So..... It's chicken and rice.

fettuccine alfredo is just buttered noodles with parsley and parmesano reggiano
parmesano reggiano is just hard grating cheese

So what you are saying is that Italian food is just simple peasant food, and we should just call it for what it is. We should not try to fancy it up with old Italian names? Ok, I could go for that.

>Italian food is just simple peasant food
Not all of it.

>pizza equestrian is peasant food

He's confusing food with cuisine.

>we should name all dishes on a descriptive list of ingredients basis
you must be a blast at parties down there in flyover country

Name one complex Italian dish? Cooking tomato sauce for hours doesn't count.

That wasnt the point at all, the point was its stupid to use the foreign language of a simple dish that is pretty much a staple everywhere.

>no more fast food and junk food threads

But we still call spaghetti Bolognese, spaghetti Bolognese on American television.

>making american burgers
>recipe ask for bacon
>look it up
>it's just pancetta
>later on, find bacon in the store, it's literally marked up pancetta

I remember when Veeky Forums didn't have any Australians. It was actually better.

That stuff you are calling "bacon" isn't real bacon. Real bacon comes from the back of the pig, not the front. However, the name is so corrupted in use that people call belly and belly side cuts "bacon" and bacon "back bacon" or "back fat". It is as bad as "yam" and "sweet potato". The belly "bacon" is also known as "American bacon" since from there comes the problem. And...."back fat/back bacon" is also known as "Canadian bacon".

This, "pancetta" isn't bacon. It's the sliced belly cut of the pig.

So its bacon.

Fat back and back bacon are different things. You can keep your thinly sliced loin "bacon."

The clue is in the name.

>implying this isnt the most pathetically passive aggressive whiny shitpost in the thread

Nobody cares.

Why did American do this?

It's like Canadian bacon, it's bacon but a little different

He's right you know, I've never tried Pancetta but I much prefer the smoky flavour from bacon without being ripped off by some meme mystery meat that I'm apparently a pleb if I don't use it in my fucking carbonara.

Bacon is better in carbonara anyway

>He's right
>I've never tried Pancetta but I much prefer
>meme mystery meat
Veeky Forums is so full of retards. Did you get lost on your way to your McChicken thread?