Popcorn with induction stovetop

Pic very much related.

I'm trying to follow standard inductions: max heat, oil to cover the bottom, add kernels and leave on max heat under lid until popping ceases.

The good popcorn comes out allright, but a fair bit of it is already getting burned with roughly one fourth of the kernels still left unpopped.

I've been experimenting with about five different batches without managing to figure out what I'm doing wrong, and the burned smell is nasty and the charring in the pan is a pain to get raid of afterwards.

What I think I might be doing wrong:
- too much heat (powerful induction heater and fairly lightweight pan)
- too little oil (I guess maybe the burning happens after the sheet of oil is gone?)
- wrong kind of oil (I have been using a rapeseed/olive mix, which I thought ought to work)
- no shaking? not lowering the heat after popping starts?
- when do I remove the lid? I feel like I'm supposed to keep the heat at the popcorn trapped inside, but I don't want to popcorn to get damp / soggy.

Pic also related.

Last pic related.

Look up Alton Brown's popcorn method. Basically a covered large metal bowl and keep it moving.

too much heat, leave lid slightly cracked, give it a lil shake every 5-10 seconds until popping done

I should add that I don't think you can use aluminium bowls for this method, probably wont work with an induction stove

I use a heat gun.

I want to try to turn the heat down. How do I tell if the heat is too low? No popping or halfways popped kernels? Also, is there any possibility that I need to use more oil as well?

so what is happening when you pop corn is the water within the kernel is boiling and steaming and exploding. So on your stove if it will boil water it will pop corn.

I always cook/pop them in a regular deep pan. Dab of oil, high heat and shake it constantly once they start popping. You don't remove the lid until you are sure they are done, because they will jump all over the place.

Used a slight bit more oil and turned heat way down to 6/7 out of 9, which is just slightly above what it takes to get water boiling. Result in picture, basically everything popped with zero burning.

Problem solved! Thanks for great help.

Note: the burned specks in the pan are leftovers from the previous attempt.

The way I do it, is I add the oil in the pan with about 3 kernels in it. I then heat it till the kernels pop, then I take it off the heat, pour in all the kernels, wait 30 seconds and then put it back in the heat while keeping it moving vigourously. It allows a more even heating because of the oil already being warm, and causes everything the kernels to heat at the same rate, which will make them all pop at the same time. Take it off the heat when the popping is almost done. I usually have barely any unpopped kernels or burnt pieces if I time it right.

I use a wok to make popcorn, i put the heat somewhere at medium to low.
Use enough butter to cover the bottom.
They come out good most of the times.

Yeah, boss, that's fucked up bullshit.
I'm not going to tell you how an induction works, because you're more used to it that I am.
Here are my rules otherwise:
Orville Redenbacher yellow (it's a trusted brand for a reason and it has yet to fail me (other brands have failed)).
Cold pan
2 Tbls fat
1/3 cup popcorn
Lid
Medium-high heat.
No reason to shake it until it's almost done.
Don't take the lid off during the pop process.

Shitty popcorn (the dry kernals) is shitty. There needs to be a certain amount of moisture trapped in the kernal. The heating of that bit of moisture (phasing from liquid to gas (steam)) is what makes the kernal explode. If the dried kernal lacks trapped moisture, you will end up with half-popped popcorn like in picToo low or too high of a heat can cause similar results. But really, it should be obvious.
>- too much heat
maybe. easy fix
>- wrong kind of oil
no. coconut oil is really good, so is clarified butter. rape and or olive is completely acceptable and not the issue.
>- when do I remove the lid?
when there is about 10 seconds between pops. seriously.

Alton Brown doesn't eat popped corn on a daily basis.

>yellow
>not white

Stopped reading

I understand.
White has a more pure corn flavor, but I like the pop from the yellow.

get a Presto PopLite Hot Air Popper. good machine.

I got an air popper for coffee and it turns out it also works really well for popcorn so I get the big jugs from Costco. Popcorn is a good addition to my cocoa-banana shakes.

I prefer the taste of yellow. It's what's served at the movies.

What happens if you try to do stovetop popcorn with BBQ sauce? Does it burn too much?

Gotta keep the kernels moving, no matter how you're heating them. Shaking keeps the popped kernels from resting too long on the bottom of the pan where they'll burn. It also makes the unpopped ones fall down to the hot bottom. I shake it back and forth pretty hard every 2 seconds. I like to use a potholder to keep the lid pressed on pretty hard with my other hand. The extra steam seems to help pop 'em all in a shorter window. You pretty much want to get the popped corn volume to completely fill the volume of your pan when finished, too. A little trial and error, but most pans, a fairly full single layer of kernels on the bottom is a good place the start. the more kernels, the bigger the amount of steam is released, causing a better chain reaction. See, if that's your photo and all the corn you popped I can tell it's not enough to give you a good batch. Right after you feel the popcorn start to push the lid up a little, take it off the heat and let the last couple ones in there pop to prevent jumpers, then open the lid and dump. You won't get soggies if you're quick, but you NEED the steam to cook them well. Go try it again with more corn, more shaking, holding the lid down, and dumping it out fast when the pot's full. Do it now.

Oh, your pan's so small. What the fuck are you doing?

Norskejævel
Kan du ikke gjore noe riktig?
Bra du prover

>he fell for the induction meme
lol@urlyfe