Weevils in rice

So, I'm making risotto tonight and I open my bag of organic arborio rice and it's crawling with weevils (pic related). If it were normal rice I'd rinse it and scoop them off as they floated to the top but that would ruin risotto. Any suggestions? My only thoughts are just to cook the fuckers with the rice since I'm not squeamish, but that somehow seems a little too asia/africa for an italian dish.

Other urls found in this thread:

nutritionfacts.org/video/do-the-pros-of-brown-rice-outweigh-the-cons-of-arsenic/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Food_Defect_Action_Levels
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'd throw it in the trash and buy more rice.

That does seem like the lesser of two weevils.

yeah I'd toss it, their poop might be toxic even if they're not

In the US they put insect eggs into grains so you have to keep buying new lots. I have never ever in all my life seen weevils in flour or rice in Europe.

Extra protein bro

Can't, I've had a few drinks and can't drive to get more and I have everything prepped for the risotto. I guess I'll just eat the fuckers. I'll post a pic when I throw it in the hot oil to toast and we can take satisfaction in the little bastards tiny squeals.

serves you right for buying organic
pesticides serve a purpose

>I guess I'll just eat the fuckers
Oh

Well I threw it into the hot oil and they really did me a number, the little bastards. You can see they've swollen into reddish and brown globules. I'm still going with it though, I've eaten a lot of weird shit in my time.

you do realize if you just took it back to the store they probably would have given you a new one for free, maybe even some coupons on top of that

Absolute madman.

Here's where we are so far as I've been ladeling stock and stirring. As you can see, those bastard weevils have darkened it much more than normal. That disconcerts me a bit in terms of aesthetics and even possibly flavor.

excited to see where this goes.

you madman!

this is my first time going on this board. definately not disappointed.

Following. You may be about to solve world hunger.

So, I added some italian sausage, fresh basil and parmeggiano to attempt to mitigate the awful flavor of weevils and low and behold there was a fucking caterpillar on my basil. I said, wtf, and threw him in for good measure (pic related wooden spoon pointing at his green ass). He'll probably taste like basil, I guess.

Grains go into the fridge, sealed, after opening

this is the kind of problem you should only have one time in your life

How the fuck did a caterpillar get on your spoon?

why do you have bugs in all your foodstuffs?

>Any suggestions?
Stop buying organic if you don't like eating bugs.

Is the caterpillar supposed to be on this picture? I can't see it.

It was on the basil I walked outside and picked in the fucking dark. Not all of us live in perpetual daylight. Here's a pic for you as I'm eating. Tastes good and I must say, basil caterpillars could really take off. It had a deeper depth of flavor than regular basil.

>ITT: OP wasn't really a faggot for once

Ya earned it, kiddo.

>this whole thread
the spirit of dinotendies lives on in the rest of Veeky Forums

I've posted it before and I'll post it till I understand: why do so many lately confuse on and in?

Nah he was

Nice Jambalaya

R8 my risotto

10/10 thread

first off that's my risotto

i'd give it a 9.5/10 in terms of flavor

No it's not it's my risotto cuntface

oh is it. is that why i have the exact same plate with different dishes?

the fact you would even think of using rice contaminated with weevils sickens me

Where do you live where this is a problem? I know Japs use a bug repellent like this, and some people put dried chilies in their grains, but I've never seen insects in mine.

Have you been saving all my risotto pics?

I used to work for a organic food place that supplied a small chain of stores.

When food had weevils the boss would make me put the contaminated stock into a big walk in freezer we had in the warehouse. He thought freezing stuff killed weevils.

We'd sell the stock to our customers and then weevils and pantry moths would migrate into all their other stock.

I've had them in my flour once and in rice once. I live in Washington State.

Both times the items were pretty old and hadn't been used in quite a while. Unlike OP though, I tossed them and went to the store to get new stuff.

where the fuck do you live?

its time to leave, autistic risotto man.

it's my risotto faggot. you know it is.

NO. I get these threads replies

what the fuck
I haven't even posted a few of these on Veeky Forums where the fuck are you getting my pictures you have me really freaked out right now

suck my dick fag.
your bullshit games end now.

Came here to post this. Gotta pick the lesser of two weevils.

nice photoshop

I'd throw it away and not buy more rice.

nutritionfacts.org/video/do-the-pros-of-brown-rice-outweigh-the-cons-of-arsenic/

>So, bottom line, until we know more, my current thinking on the matter is: if you really like rice, you can moderate your risk by cutting down, choosing lower-arsenic varieties, and cooking it in a way to lower exposure even further. But, if you like other whole grains just as much—like if you simply don’t care either way if you have rice vs. quinoa, or whatever, I’d choose the lower-arsenic option.

If arsenic is so bad why aren't gooks and chinks showing any symptoms of poisoning?

Those traumatically inseminating fuckers can bore through paper, plastic, and drywall. Time to start locking up/refrigerating anything they'll eat. That includes at least grains and nuts.

It mostly just increases cancer risk.

If you've only had a few you could definitely drive and get away with it.

I keep my apartment clean and I very rarely see bugs yet when I re-open a bag of flour or rice that I've been keeping in my cupboard it's a 50/50 chance there are bugs in it. I'm going to start keeping my cupboard stuff in air tight containers because fuck those bugs they keep ruining my shit

That's soupy rice, not risotto. Don't post again until you know how to make risotto.

reminder that risotto is supposed to be all'onda, therefore you dont know what the fuck you're talking about

Why are you posting pictures of soup in a risotto thread?

Got any millipedes?

here's your reply troll

This
>tfw drank a 750 of grain alcohol and drove to get food at taco bell

That stuff comes with bug eggs in it. You need to freeze it to not have bugs.

WHAT

same

Well if you kept the weevils in the rice, it also means you didn't wash the rice. Because had you, most of the weevils would have floated to the top of the water and could have been drained out.

>wash rice before making risotto

In the OP I said I'd do that if it was regular rice, but you can't wash risotto rice without fucking up your risotto.

We have a moth problem. Same deal, but moth larva in my rice, and grains. I leave it. But also the moth grub don't float, and their white, so they blend in easily, and I can't see them. Besides the gross factor, I doubt there's any damage done to you by eating them.

>water will fuck up my risotto
>but not bugs and their eggs

I can't see any caterpillar in this picture. I can see a basil flower bud, is that what you're referring to? Because that's not a caterpillar.
Can't argue with the weevils though, but I don't understand how a quick dip in water would ruin the risotto.

Put some bay leaves in it when you store it

The grains are supposed to be dry for the initial 3 minute saute in the oil. It's really a critical step in risotto as well as spanish rice.

Maybe that was a basil flower at that point, hard for me to say as it was dark outside when I cut the basil and I'd had "several" drinks. Whatever it was it had a strong basil flavor and was slightly gooey and slimey when I bit into it. All in all, I was happy with the risotto although the weevils changing the color was somewhat irritating. I guess I had enough other flavors in it that I didn't notice a particular flavor imparted by the weevils.

>he doesn't drive while hammered

Can a mod please permaban OP from Veeky Forums?

Dude, I live in a bumfuck backwater in the christian sharia law south where the primary county revenue after property taxes comes from DUI's and drug busts. There are road checkpoints at night all of the fucking time. If you're busted for DUI and don't have $2000.00 cash for bail, you're spending the night with strung out Tyrone and Jamal for bunk mates.

gimme ur risotto recipe sans weevils and caterpillars pls

I always keep rice in the freezer so insect eggs won't hatch.

This

Youre a pirate now boy.

its where all the people with no lives went when r9k died of cancer

This one was an italian sausage recipe. Remove sausage from casing and brown in olive oil. Remove and saute onion and cayenne pepper until softened. Add garlic for 1 minute and add rice stirring to coat in oil and toast for a few minutes. Add a little crushed tomato and wine stirring until absorbed and add a few ladles of stock simmering with a bundle of thyme and bay leaf. Stir until mostly absorbed, add salt and continue for @ 15 minutes then add back the italian sausage and continue adding liquid until you get the texture you want. Add chopped basil and romano or parmegiano.

Arrgh, ay, you scaliwag matey! A tip o' the grog mug to ya'!

Wrong. If bugs (animals) can eat it and live, then I (animal) can probably eat it and live. Thanks, monsanto, but I prefer eating a couple of bugs to your fucking neurotoxins and carcinogens. Go start your own thread you chemical shills.

OP will be fine.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Food_Defect_Action_Levels

Thanks!

>OP will be fine

No shit, I didn't even have diarrhea and I ate leftovers tonight although I know it's considered a faux pax to eat leftover risotto by just warming it up. Fuck it, I'm finishing my leftovers, bugs or not.

remember, you're not just eating the weevils but all their shit and secretions they coated your rice with

Everything is a chemical.

Lol, are you a 12 year old gril? You've eaten more bug shit when you eat a salad at a restaurant prep'd with unwashed veg than was in my rice. You think restaurants clean your food before serving?

I once ate a bowl of rice puffs full of ants. At least yours will be cooked.

>he fell for the organic meme

>750 of grain alcohol

how are you not dead

Extra protein

nice thread OP, good work eating those weevils instead of wussing out

It makes it look a bit like wild rice. Just eat them, who knows it's great and you discovered a better way to make risotto. You'll never know if you don't try.

keep up m8, he already made it