Sweethome ranks Mac MTH-80 as the best knife for most use

"Folded over 9,000 times" meme knives BTFO

Also, they rated Wusthof Pro the best knife under $50 over Victorinox Memebrox.

thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-chefs-knife-for-most-cooks/

>Shitorinox BTFO

Chris Kimball must be turning in his grave.

>"Folded over 9,000 times" meme knives BTFO
Mac is a Japanese brand, user

It's like you're so mad you can't figure out where to direct your impotent rage

Mac is a practical Japanese knife with no frills. All the engineering is in the performance, not appearance.

Not like those CKTG meme knives.

Kiwi is best $5 knife

That Wüsthof Pro has got an absolutley gigantic belly. Not gonna put it in my collection anytime soon.

Seconded. I wish they'd make a gyuto style chef's knife though. The one they have in their line up is more like a meat slicer, with the blade much too narrow for working on a cutting board.

MAC and Wusthof Pro are definitely great choices for the average cook. That said I still like my R2 Shibata for my day to day work. Something about wa handled knives leads pinch grips to be more comfortable.

>muh engineering
>muh srs business knives
You talk like a first year STEMfag. It's a piece of sharp metal for cutting food, it literally doesn't matter whether it's got decorations on it or not

Being culturally intimidated by CKTG is like being culturally intimidated by fucking Starbucks

Also, enjoy being wrong about Mac

Macs are tiny light girl knives for people with tiny light girl hands. Like all Apple macbooks. Buy Wusthoff classic Ikons and Thinkpads.

>heavy = good
Greasy, fat, "born in the wrong decade" neckbeard detected.

Try spending some time in a job that requires travel and then see what you think about modernity. Oops! You're a NEET, I forgot!

>Also, they rated Wusthof Pro the best knife under $50 over Victorinox Memebrox.
Hold on, so we've got a new meme-king?! The Wusthof Pro is the new meme knife as of now? This calls for celebrations!

How do we inaugurate it? I don't remember special ceremonies, but we need to make this shit official!

Going to order a wusthof pro rn

>Out of the box, the Pro’s sharper edge cut through paper, a task the brand-new Victorinox couldn’t hack.
I don't doubt that the Wusthoff could be a better knife, It's a respectable brand after all, but this shit about not being able to cut paper out of the box is just bullshit. They either got a really bad knife from somewhere, or they're being paid really well by Wusthoff (or not well enough by Victorinox) to claim this.

I've bought offbrand knives that could cut through paper out of the box. It's the least a new knife could do, so there's something wrong here.

>offbrand knives that could cut through paper out of the box. It's the least a new knife could do, so there's something wrong here

It's irrelevant anyway - the factory edge will be gone after the first sharpening. Real high-end knives are shipped to customers almost without any edge at all, because the customer is expected to put on his own preferrred kind of edge

>Mac makes one "damascus" knife line
>that means Mac is a meme knife company now

kys

It's a real hunk of junk. Handle is way too fat, feels slick af when even slightly wet and didn't hold an edge for a year.

>didn’t hold an edge for a year

Do you know how knives work at all

>that means Mac is a meme knife company now
I didn’t say that because it’s meaningless neckbeard babble. You’re projecting. Stop getting so angry at inanimate objects

What are some good knife brands? I am a newfag to Veeky Forums

Keijiro Doi for Suisin, Shigefusa, Tesshu Mizu Honyaki line, Itsui Doi for Sakai Takayuki, Masa KS if poorfag

If you can't even afford a KS just buy a god damm slap chop, it's not worth trying

>Real high-end knives are shipped to customers almost without any edge at all

People always say this on knife sperg websites but it's only true in a very limited sense. The weeb sword makers do a half assed job on their "default" edges, but their half assed job is still better than an average person's best effort. You can easily, easily cut paper with it. It might not stand up to much use in a kitchen because it's weak and half-assed, but that's a different story than saying "no edge at all"

Also, if the customer has to do serious reprofiling on an expensive knife OOTB, there's a severe disconnect between the choice of knife and the customer need, which speaks poorly of the customer if it's an expensive production knife, and poorly of both the customer and the maker if it's a custom knife

What you DO see is a bad factory profile on some mid-tier production knives that non-enthusiasts tend to think of as super-duper expensive folded 9000 times knives, but really these are just ok, not-amazing but very decent mainstream knives like Tojiro, Misono, etc. But those are NOT "real high end knives" just because they happen to be a significant step up from ATK-endorsed $20 utility knives that cost $45 because of retards

>caring enough about how long a knife holds an edge to drop over one hundred dollars for a single chefs knife
>not just sharpening your knife regularly
blade shape and ergonomics are 10 times more important than the quality of the steel. gyutos and german knives have both have absolutely retarded blade shapes.

t. ulufag

>poster did not see that the best knife pick in the OP has French chef knife profile

Tojiro DP Gyuto is the best value knife on the market. Vg-10 core, needs sharpened on the stone every month but if you're not a lazy shit it's no problem. Been beating the shit out of mine for two years daily and it still btfos my co-workers shuns and wustofs

Funny thing about the DP - it's gotten cheaper, adjusted for inflation, than it was when it first got memed. Meanwhile, retards still spend $45 on Fibrox because Kimball told them to do so.

$50 is a psychological barrier for a lot of people, and DP, while a good value, is over $50 while Fibrox is under $50.

Also, in some countries, Fibrox is cheaper than in the U.S. (it sells for US$32~35 in Canada, for example).

*tips fedora*

Do you ever just wish you were dead? You just seem like someone that shouldn't be around.

Have it thinned professionally. That's what i had done to mine and it was another huge leap forward performancewise.

Those are very sexy knives but it seems I am a poorfag, even for those Masamoto KS knives. I'll stick to pound shop quality for now. Thanks

>paying someone else to reprofile your beater knife
Why the hell would anyone do that? Coarse stones aren't expensive and you can use them on another knife. Or you could have just bought a better knife that didn't need reprofiling.

The profile is what you see when you look at the knife sideways, i. e. the curve of thedge and the spine. I am talking about the geometry of the knife, that means the shape of the cross section of the blade. And I dare anybody to do that on stones and get a the same result as a pro who does this with a sander and buffing wheels. And get a properly convexed bladeface, the way a slack belt lets you do it. And do it in less than 12h, too. No thanks.

>using stones takes too long
This is mostly because the shop clerk correctly identified you as being a loudmouth opinionated moron who can't accept input from experienced people. So he made you buy 6k stones so you wouldn't wreck your knife. Unfortunately, you took it to a tard who wrecked it anyway with a power sander.

Look at the bright side, at least it was only a Tojiro.

He seems a lot less loud mouth than you. Just saying.

In the US it's $40 for a 10" fibrox chef knife, and honestly the handle being non slip is a nice bonus. It's $100 for a tojiro DP 10.5" (they don't have a regular 10"), the handle isn't non slip either. I'm going with the fibrox as I cannot current afford a $100 knife.

Also, why do non of the better knives have non slip handles?

It's $80, you suck at the internet

Non-slip handles are for retards who don't use good knife technique, it's like forcing people in food service to wear no-cut gloves. Doesn't apply to normies who aren't drunk at work

>Why the hell would anyone do that?

They are intimidated by the idea of doing it themselves so they prefer to farm it out to someone else.

The same principle applies to most reasons why someone hires anyone to do anything else.

>Also, why do non of the better knives have non slip handles?

The nonslip handle only benefits newbies who "fist grip" their knife (hold it improperly). It doesn't help much when you already know how to hold a proper knife.

It also has a few cons:
-not as easy to clean as a smooth handle
-can get rough on the hands after long hours of use like pros would encounter.

Except not really, you can't make sweeping statements like that unless you are a spergy MGTOW DIY cultist who thinks compiling a linux kernel to save 2% CPU performance while shitposting on Veeky Forums is a good use of time

The point of a DP is "bang for buck", farming it out ruins the bang for buck equation

There are certainly times when you might want to farm something out - if you determined that learning the skill is not worth the time or money required, for instance, either because farming it out is so cheap and trivial, or because the time and money to DIY is absurdly high

But farming out a job like that on a knife like that is stupid

>They are intimidated
Generally you pay someone else do stuff because they're a little more experienced at it, and you know they'll do a much better job. I mean, you could also try to cure your cancer yourself too, but I think you'd probably prefer going to a doctor for that.

I was once told I'd get a raise if I used no cut gloves and just loled. Management just lied to get their bonus.

>they're a little more experienced at it, and you know they'll do a much better job. I mean,
That's exactly what was meant by "intimidated".

>>but I think you'd probably prefer going to a doctor for that.
Yes. My massive lack of medical skill & the high risk for a screwup does indeed made me intimidated to do my own cancer treatment.

OTOH reshaping a knife doesn't. It's something that's so simple that uneducated peasants have been doing it with literal stones since time immemorial. I can easily learn how to do that with no intimidating expense or learning curve.

>That's exactly what was meant by "intimidated".
This has nothing to do with being intimidated. Wanting something be done well, by someone with experience is just smart. That's how the whole world works. And let's just be honest here: you're trying to make a smart decision sound derogatory, just so you can feel good about yourself.

>Wanting something be done well, by someone with experience is just smart
Correct.
But why would you conclude that doesn't apply to you and must necessarily apply to someone else? The fact is that you find the idea of learning those skills yourself to be intimidating. You'd rather pay someone else to do it than take on the intimidating task of doing it yourself.

>>That's how the whole world works.
Yes, I already said that several posts ago:>The same principle applies to most reasons why someone hires anyone to do anything else.

>>you're trying to make a smart decision sound derogatory,
I never said the decision wasn't smart.
In my mind there is nothing derogatory about something being "intimidating".

I think you're taking the use of the term "intimidation" to be some kind of insult or attack. It's not.

Nobody knows you here, you don't need to try and save face.

>Unfortunately, you took it to a tard who wrecked it anyway with a power sander
LOL! The guy I sent them to happens to be Jürgen Schanz. Youngest person ever to pass the master bladesmith exam in Germany, winner of several national bladesmith/artisan competitions, official purveyor of all thing knifey to the Royal Court of Quatar, one of the best bladesmiths in the world. Pic related, a $60.000 scimitar he has made for the King of Bahrain.

Control your butthurt, Jurgen. And next time use a stone.

>The fact is that you find the idea of learning those skills yourself to be intimidating.

No, it's called opportunity cost and I have other things I'd rather be doing than spend 2 hours every day improving my knife sharpening skills.

>all things knifey to the Royal Court of Quatar
Sorry, meant to say the Royal Court of Bahrain, not Qatar.

And it was just about $18 per knife without shipping.

>you don't need to try and save face.
Obviously not.
I'm trying to correct a misunderstanding.

>No, it's called opportunity cost and I have other things I'd rather be doing than spend 2 hours every day improving my knife sharpening skills.
Perfect example, really: You think in your head (intimidation) that this is something that will take you hours of repeat practice to learn. To avoid that, you make the logical decision to farm the job out to someone else.

Stop reading the word "intimidated" like it's some kind of insult.

>Stop reading the word "intimidated" like it's some kind of insult.
Stop trying to re-define the word "intimidated" like it's not. To say a person is intimidated is to say a person is afraid and driven by fear.

>>I needed to piss this morning, but I was intimidated by the long, cold, walk to the bathroom so I stayed in bed as long as possible before getting up

>>I really ought to do the dishes but that big pile of them looked intimidating so I watched TV instead

Literal autists need to leave.

There is no misunderstanding here. You made a claim, and now you're engaged in awkward linguistic gymnastics to try to make it seem like you were saying something other than what you really meant.

This is the Veeky Forums version of "those drunk tweets that made me internet famous don't reflect who I really am"

I'm the original thinning guy you argued with, I actually do own my own (cheap POS) belt sander and have successfully thinned knives with it. But there is only so much you can do with a $90 sander where the belt is basically reachable only from the right and that has no slack parts, no adjustable tension and no speed control. I have seen the tips of two super cheap practice knives heat up to red hot and dissolve in a shower of sparks in just a fraction of a second, it wouldn't have made much sense to risk my nice knives on my shit sander.

>There is no misunderstanding here
Sure there is. Spergie McLiteral is triggered, even though we obviously agree 100%:

>>>That's how the whole world works.
>Yes, I already said that several posts ago: (You)
>>The same principle applies to most reasons why someone hires anyone to do anything else.

....Given that we obviously agree, why does Spergie take offense to the use of the term "intimidated"? He/she obviously misunderstood what I meant and read some kind of negative connotation into a situation where it never existed in the first place.

Btw the tips of my profesionally thinned knives are pretty incredible. If you look at them from above you have a hard time determining where the steel stops and the air begins, they are ground and thinned so finely.

It's not "obvious" to me, you, or "spergy mac literal", otherwise you wouldn't be posting these damage control wall of texts.

You're not very good at this, user.

How can it not be obvious given that we've both posted the exact same conclusion?

Are you retarded?

Whats wrong with weeb knives?

>TFW looking to buy a gyuto or santoku with this style handle and for some reason that handle immediately makes them all cost more

Form over function basically.
Personally I don't even like how they look.

Nothing. They usually have a few advantages compared to western knives. But like anyhing else they tend to have cons too.

lt;dr generalization:
Pros: harder steel keeps its edge longer. thinner blades cut with less effort

Cons: tend to be specialized designs rather than general purpose. harder steel & thinner blades are more easily chipped by improper use

The vast majority of Japanese knives are more general purpose than specialized

Stop pretending everyone who likes good cutlery is hoarding sobakiris and wa-hankotsus, unless you are just role playing as a tard on Veeky Forums for the (You)s in which case go for it

To be fair, you can get varying grades of steel for the same style of knife.

Aogami blue has super, #1, and #2 steels, #2 is a more durable one that resists chips better and Super will keep its edge better but be more brittle.

>To be fair though, if you're not going weeb you're probably going German which basically just uses stainless for everything which is why they're so much cheaper

>The vast majority of Japanese knives are more general purpose than specialized
I was talking about the number of knife types in Japan, not how many are sold of which model.

Japan has a few general-purpose designs and hundreds of specialty ones. That's what I meant.

Your point is a bit different than the one I was making. I do agree with you that the general purpose knives are more commonly sold than the specialty ones. But that's not the point I was making.

>To be fair, you can get varying grades of steel for the same style of knife.
Absoloutely you can.

But that's splitting hairs. A Japanese knife is probably going to be much harder than a western one regardless if it's made of no1, no2, super, etc. It's more of a design choice based on the type of knife than it is a factor of the steel.

For example, I have a deba and a yanagi that I bought on vacation many years ago. Both are No 1. steel. The Yanagi is very hard yet the deba is (obviously) not since it's made for chopping harder foods like small bones rather than slicing raw fish.

this
some people masturbate furiously over these, when in reality they're just a pretty looking luxury item
that fancy-ass hamon isn't actually necessary with today's steel quality

I think buying a knife for the looks and bragging rights is kinda cringy

>some people masturbate furiously over these, when in reality they're just a pretty looking luxury item

Ok, and? People jack off over fidget spinners, used thinkpads, syrupy beer with swear words on the label, and sneakers that come in a rare ugly color.

Unless you are going to argue that anyone who has ever gotten enthusiastic about something slightly more "obscure" than whatever version of that thing Walmart sells most of, I fail to see what point you're trying to make.

I remember reading once that German knives are pretty popular in japanese households, because the housewives are intimidated by the various dozens of Japanese orchid knives

ITT: People responding to the "luthier" guy, a known schizophrenic

I mean, what do I know, but it just doesn't seem remotely efficient to constantly have to search through a rack of knives to get the one perfect for the thing you're about to cut.

schizophrenics need attention too, shitlord.

That one looks like a relic that belongs in a museum. Experts may drool over it, but a layman would think you found it in a dig, then removed some of the rust and put on a new handle.

I'm guessing it's 9000 "layers".
That would mean it's actually folded 13-14 times.

Tojiro is all you really need.
Heck, any noname VG10/Aogami/Shirogami will do the job, and for way less money.

210 Gyuto is about 60ish on Amazon, and I would buy one in a heartbeat, if I could actually do that.

Sadly shipping to me is 40$. I can buy one localy butt it's 115€/135$.