Tea thread

Are you supposed to dunk the teabag a few times? Or just let it sit in the water and not touch it? Best water temp to make tea? Favorite kind?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NpRXDgzufm0
george-orwell.org/A_Nice_Cup_of_Tea/0.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ulPgWVC08KI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There are all sorts of methods and it is heatedly debated. I personally put the tea bag/leaves into the cold water, bring it to a boil, turn the heat off, cover the pot, and let it steep for 5 mins. Then pour into the mug. I like it strong.

Of course you have to. You pour hot water in the tea mug, tea bag already in place inside it. You then wait for a few seconds for the water to settle. Then you start dunking, just a short dunk, bobbing the tea bag in the middle of the mug precisely 8 times. Then you have a choice. Either you leave it and dunk it again, right before you take out the bag. In that case you bob it in the middle of the mug, just under the liquid level so it dissolves appropriately all around, precisely 8 times again, so it's nice and even. You can get flashy and add another dunk, midway while the tea is brewing, but if you do another 8 bobs then you have to do 16 bobs while you're making your exit dunk. The only way you can get away from doing it 16 times is to add another intermediary mid-brew dunk, 8 bobs long, so it's
>8-8-8-8
or
>8-8-16

Of course, nothing is stopping you from doing 16-bob dunks as the base, but it always has to be in byte size intervals, so the progression is 8-16-32-64...

When do you put in sugar? And milk?

I just got a box of Bigelow Earl Grey tea. What am I in for?

youtube.com/watch?v=NpRXDgzufm0

An excerpt from “The Salmon of Doubt” by Douglas Adams

Pg 67

Tea

One or two Americans have asked me why the English like tea so much, which never seems to them to be a very good drink. To understand, you have to make it properly.

There is a very simple principle to the making of tea, and it’s this—to get the proper flavour of tea, the water has to be boilING (Not boilED) when it hits the tea leaves. If it’s merely hot, then the tea will be insipid. That’s why we English have these odd rituals, such as warming the teapot first (so as no to cause the boiling water to cool down too fast as it hits the pot). And that’s why American habit of bringing a teacup, a tea bag, and a pot of hot water to the table is merely the perfect way of making a tin, pale, watery cup of tea that nobody in their right mind would want to drink. The Americans are all mystified about why the English make such a big thing out of tea because most Americans HAVE NEVER HAD A GOOD CUP OF TEA. That’s why they don’t understand. In fact, the truth of the matter is that most English people don’t know how to make tea anymore either, and most people drink cheap instant coffee instead, which is a pity, and gives Americans the impression that the English are just generally clueless about hot stimulants.
... cont

So the best advice I can give to an American arriving in England is this: Go to Marks and Spencer and buy a packet of Earl Grey tea. Go back to where you’re staying and boil a kettle of water. While it is coming to the boil, open the sealed packet and sniff. Careful---you may feel a bit dizzy, but this is in fact perfectly legal. When the kettle has boiled, pour a little of it into a teapot, swirl it around, and tip it out again. Put a couple (or three, depending on the size of the pot) of tea bags into the pot. (If I was really trying to lead you into the paths of righteousness, I would tell you to use free leaves rather than bags, but let’s just take this in easy stages.) Bring the kettle back up to the boil, and then pour the boiling water as quickly as you can into the pot. Let is stand for two or three minutes, and then pour it into a cup. Some people will tell you that you shouldn’t have milk with Earl Grey, just a slice of lemon. Screw them. I like it with milk. If you think you will like it with milk, then it’s probably best to put some milk into the bottom of the cup before you pour in the tea. If you pour milk into a cup of hot tea, you will scald the milk. If you think you will prefer it with a slice of lemon, then, well, add a slice of lemon.

Drink it. After a few moments you will begin to think that the place you’ve come to isn’t maybe quite so strange and crazy after all.

May 12, 1999

look I followed all these horsehit Douglas Adams directions (except the Marks and Spencer part because Amerifag) and I still fucking hate tea. I think you have to grow up with it to like it. But that doesn't change that tea is bullshit grasswater. No amount of exacting ritual will ever make it actually taste good. The British think it tastes good but it doesn't. Americans think cheeseburgers taste good but they don't. And they persist in consuming them because TRADITION. Fuck tea. I'd rather drink bong water.

Peppermint tea is pretty cash though.

I am not English and I love it. I hate coffee and tea is an infinitely more tasty way to wake up in the morning or relax in the afternoon. Tastes differ, tea probably isn't for you, no matter how well made it is, it has nothing to do with tradition.

You've not known obsession until you've heard Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's method to make a cup of tea, I'm English but that's really taking the piss.

PROTIP: Watch his series River Cottage on youtube if you can, it's very comfy.

>To make my tea, I need two good-sized mugs. I boil the kettle. The hot water goes into one mug first, stays for a few seconds so the mug is heated, then goes into the second mug. The tea bag goes into the first, hot, mug, boiling water is poured in, to within a couple of millimetres of the top, and the two mugs, one containing brewing tea, and the other containing hot water, are left to stand. After about five minutes, the mug of brewed tea is placed in the sink, where some new hot water (freshly re-boiled) from the kettle, is sloshed into it, so it overflows by about half a mug. This is to stop the well-brewed tea being too strong. The full-to-overflowing mug is now tilted a little bit, so it spills out enough tea to allow room for some milk.

>Remember the second mug, full of the hot (now not so hot, but still quite hot) water that was used to warm the first mug? That is now emptied. The tea bag is fished out from the first ‘brewing’ mug, and placed in the bottom of the empty ‘warm’ mug, where a small splash of milk is poured over it. The effect of the hot tea bag, and still-warm mug, is to take the chill off the milk – and impregnate it with a mild tea flavour. To encourage both these objectives, the mug is picked up and swirled, put down for a few seconds, picked up and swirled again, and left to stand for a short while longer. The tea-coloured, warm milk is now poured from tea-bag mug to brew mug, which is given a stir.

1/2

>The resulting colour is observed. A little more milk may be necessary, in which case it will go via the still-warm tea bag mug, into the brew mug. When the colour is exactly right, I will stir in exactly one rounded teaspoonful of golden caster sugar. The tea, which at this point is still far too hot to drink, will now be left to stand for at least five minutes, before a sip is attempted.

2/2
What a waste of time.

I'm not like the other American boys

You have no idea what you are talking about, wait a few seconds? You let the bag sit in boiling water for 5 minutes at least. Squeeze the bag with the teaspoon after to get the remaining tea juice.

You wait a few moments for the water to settle so it isn't sloshing in the mug. Of course you are going to leave it between 5 or 7 minutes in there.

Before 1984 there was; A Nice Cup of Tea

george-orwell.org/A_Nice_Cup_of_Tea/0.html

Don't try and bullshit your way out of this you coffee drinker.

I never drink coffee

What is worse, stale fine tea or imbibing it in less than an ideal manner?

You just put the tea bag in the middle, pour in boiling water, and drink it when it's cold enough.

I'm insulted that you would lie to me but I'm sad you would lie to yourself. Just stop user, I hate to see you betraying yourself. It's over.

I am glad I insulted you, wish I could do it more and to your face.

Anger won't solve anything user, just try and calm down. Have some tea.

I would actually stomp the shit out of you without feeling much emotion, let alone anger.

You should be put to sleep.

I'm terrified user, please stop lest I shiver with fright. I might nt be able to sleep. Is this what you wanted user?

>I'm insulted that you would lie to me but I'm sad you would lie to yourself. Just stop user, I hate to see you betraying yourself. It's over.

What did you really want to accomplish with this?

That's not what the user was saying.

>bring overnight bag with cups, pot, electric kettle and lupicia bonne journee sencha avec unfermented rooibos with petals

>no thanks x6

That day I lost something

what was he saying?

Orgasm, I have been furiously wanking all this time.

You're meant to be dead Bob Marley

Wheels are made for rolling

Miles are made to pack
I have never seenasightthatdidnotlookbetterlookjngback

I lost this plate a while back; it is survived by it's cup and it's twin set, second of which it's plate in my topmost images shown here

Nigga, you speak far too much. Go back, go back user.

youtube.com/watch?v=ulPgWVC08KI

It is important to watch the gif and link together..

That'll do, that'll do just fine.

Sage

Bump baby bump

Why would you discourage such real conversations user?

This tea thread was as poor as that weak pu er and tasteless green teas I got from local shops because I have no decent tea supply nearby.

That comment was as poor as an Englishman trying to conquer Scotland. NEVER CONQUERED

Wanna touch my penis user? It is fucking throbbing, almost painful.

>tfw order comes in Tuesday, but not gonna be able to actually get it until Thursday
>Really want to try some now

Tea is bad mmkay

Cuppa or gtfo

Which first?

Not sure, was gonna try to make a proper chai with the bf and see how he likes it, but before that might try out the turmeric bliss.

That looks like a pint of piss, are you gulping your own piss user?

Before anyone says it, yes my piss is brown. I'm a hardcore alcoholic. The only water I see is in my toilet.

Anyone know when the Laoshan Black Autumn harvest usually goes on sale?

Tea or gtfo

After early autumn

>The pot should be white porcelain or glazed earthenware and have a partly serrated edge.
>It should have a lid that fits loosely inside the pot.
>If a large pot is used, it should hold a maximum of 310 ml (±8 ml) and must weigh 200 g (±10 g).
>If a small pot is used, it should hold a maximum of 150 ml (±4 ml) and must weigh 118 g (±10 g).
>2 grams of tea (measured to ±2% accuracy) per 100 ml boiling water is placed into the pot.
>Freshly boiling water is poured into the pot to within 4-6 mm of the brim.
>The water should be similar to the drinking water where the tea will be consumed
>Brewing time is six minutes.
>The brewed tea is then poured into a white porcelain or glazed earthenware bowl.
>If a large bowl is used, it must have a capacity of 380 ml and weigh 200 g (±20 g)
>If a small bowl is used, it must have a capacity of 200 ml and weigh 105 g (±20 g)
>If the test involves milk, then it can be added before or after pouring the infused tea.
>Milk added after the pouring of tea is best tasted when the liquid is between 65 - 80 °C.
>5 ml of milk for the large bowl, or 2.5 ml for the small bowl, is used.

I never liked that hippy twat
now i fucking hate him

What a complete fucking moron

That looks more enticing, you actually stirred the mlk in this time.

fuck did you expect?
This must be a Veeky Forums ruse because no one in their right mind would bring an over night bag packed with all the paraphernalia need to meet their oddly specific tea needs

He is an arsehole but the boy knows how to butcher and that is a skill worth a modicum of restecpa. Posh cunts have time to learn those skills I suppose though. Us plebs are too busy working.

my personal method
>add sugar to mug
>teabag(s) on top
>slowly pour boiling water through teabag, leaving room for milk
>squeeze teabag against the sides of the mug a few times, letting it reabsorb the tea between squeezes
>use my fingers to give it one last squeeze against the teaspoon and wring all the liquid out
>add milk to taste
>stir

>>add sugar to mug

Sugar first? Retard.

>imagine being this autistic and verbose about water and leaves

>except the Marks and Spencer part because Amerifag
and you wonder why your tea tasted crap

Are you implying that you need to go to marks and sparks for good tea? That is bollocks. Leave the yank alone.

It was a dnd meet up..

Just fingered my cousin lads, is that bad? Need some tea desu.

>I saw that one video that teaches cupping and now I think I know shit about anything
Just so you know cupping is a method made to make evident the flaws of a tea and to give a consistent method of comparing teas, no one actually uses it for enjoyment

Ooo killem

>he thinks cheeseburgers don't taste good
Lmaoing @ ur life

>Americans think cheeseburgers taste good but they don't.

What fucked up part of you doesn't like cheeseburgers? The problem is you.

stop reviving this fucking thread

Why don't you post some tea, user?

If your tea isn't more sugar than water by weight you're doing it wrong.

t. the South

Don't get me wrong, being in the South I love sweet tea, but for me sweet tea is something else entirely from hot tea/other tea.

>dislikes thing because lul americans
>thing is actually german
Wow.

I honestly don't understand it.

Every box of tea always says "just leave it in, no need to swirl it around". And yet every time I try to make tea, and just pour the boiling water over the tea bag and leave it, it never seems to make it that flavorful. Only when I stir the bag around and really stir the tea does it seem to disperse flavor throughout the tea and make it stronger. Even then, its often not that great

I feel like there is just something I'm missing about making tea, something in my brain that doesn't know how to make it. Every time I try it always tastes kind of bland; there is a tease of a good taste, but only a tease. I just don't get it.

also, this always happens

>put teabag in mug
>pour hot water over it
>teabag floats to the surface and stays at the top for a few minutes

Is this supposed to happen? Seems like its not, as its not making the tea very flavorful. And yet this happens literally every time

also, in general, can you leave the teabag/leaves in the mug permanently, or are you supposed to take it out after a few minutes

If you let it steep too long it starts to become more bitter because more of the tannins come out. Herbal teas don't have that issue because they use herbs instead.

Well not to shit on teabags necessarily, but a lot of teabags to tend to use lower quality tea, using dust/fannings instead of whole leaves. I still use teabags, but I'm starting to make the switch to loose leaf, I don't think there's inherently anything wrong with dunking the teabag once or twice just to mix the water. My suggestion would be to try and get your hands on some good quality loose leaf tea, use a teapot or something that will let the leaves really expand and move around, and try to compare the difference in taste.

You can't handle the tearuth

Tea leaf matter must be hhhot,

If squishied, not all is infusing!!!!!

Cold mug = water too cold

Hot water! Saturated!

>i'd rather drink bong water
i always thought tea was bong water

Dunking is for patricians. Every sip tastes like if gatorade was actually healthy.

Seeping is for dumb niggers who like to swallow dirt and twigs.

>peppermint tea is pretty cash though
Well you’re right about one thing at least. Zez

Is that four tea bags you absolute madman.
Don't tell me, you're a student and those are old bags you saved. Been there done that.

For what it's worth, I have switched from mostly drinking sugary instant-"tea", to actual tea a couple weeks ago. Buying a tea egg (well, two, for two cans), was truly the right decision. That way I can make two big cans of tea at once, and drink the luke-warm to cold tea that I prefer. (I hate most hot drinks, somehow. Sue me.)

I currently mix green tea leaves with peppermint, and the occasional tea-bag of something else into the mix (like sage and chamomile, when I was feeling under the weather.)