Post single use tools that are worth it

Post single use tools that are worth it.

For me, apple corers. I use apples all the time, and these save ages of slowly removing the center of wedges and such.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HusokNYOPSY
youtube.com/watch?v=eOyjFc0Utw8
seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-mince-chop-garlic-microplane-vs-garlic-press.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just eat the fucking apple, you don't need to peel it or even take the core out, everything but the seeds is edible.
I leave nothing left but the twig and the seeds.

How does eating the apples accomplish making an apple-based dish, dingus?

i bought one for 50 cent. feels goodman

You don't have to make it.

>invite guests over for apple crisp
>"hey user where's the apple crisp?"
>oh I just ate all the apples to save money buying an apple corer

who invites people over for one specific food?
is your name agnes?

The implication was you'd invited people over for dinner and told them what dessert would be, but it's also entirely possible it was a British thing and they'd been invited over for tea and some food, though I think they usually have cookies or something with tea.

I'm worth it? Thanks for the compliment, user.

A good filleting knife maybe?

Parisian scoop. Works way better than a tomato shark and you can use it for coring any number of fruits

Couldn't you just use a rounded tablespoon measurer?

>tomato shark
I'm intrigued!

Probably my knife. You can only really cut things with it (you could also use it like a prybar or crush things with it, but you could use anything for that).
It is a life saver for getting things into smaller pieces. I can never go back to using my hands or teeth again.

Chopping garlic with a knife is too laborious
You dont event have to peel the garlic if you use a garlic press.

indoor grills because bachelor life.

This has bladed edges. Slices right through anything

sounds dangerous

I like the ones that also cut the apple into slices because its one less thing I have to cut manually with a knife when making pies or something. saves on prep time. they don't work with larger apples though.

Checkmate, atheists.

And it's not because I'm weak so fuck off with that bullshit or I'll put this round your fuckin neck

SINGLE use you fucking retard. You even admit it has multiple uses. Just please fuck off and take your retardation elsewhere

Cheese cutter.
Can opener.
bottle opener.
Whisk.
Tongs.
Oven mitts.

This.

Rude post please

Seeing someone recommend a garlic press is a guaranteed way to spot someone with really poor knife skills. It should only be used by children who lack the motor skills and responsibility for knifework.

Why stop there?

completely changes the flavor

sliced > crushed

More than one use since it can be used for heating pop tarts.

youtube.com/watch?v=HusokNYOPSY

Not that guy but the point of a garlic press is for the texture. Obviously you should chop it most of the time but sometimes you want a paste instead of little bits

you are wrong, garlic tastes different depending on how you slice/crush/press it, garlic press is commonly used for middle eastern food since it strengthens the allium taste

Mortar and pestle works just fine and is more versatile thana press, but yeah, garlic presses are definitely useful.

This thing is so fucking dumb, I saw them demonstrating one at a store one day and it just broke in the middle of the demonstration.

Just smash the garlic with the flat of your knife (assuming you are using one with a broad surface) and take the skin off. Wa la.

is that a jar opener? why would you willingly miss out on those rare opportunities to flaunt your masculinity?

Do these even work that well? I just cut out a square of drawer liner and use that to open jars

knives aren't unitaskers

>implying that you have ever had dinner guests.

At the risk of sounding retarded, is that really true? I would think garlic is garlic no matter how you cut it.
What’s the best way for Italian cooking then?

Thinly sliced, then slowly heated to sizzling in olive oil in a pan before adding some mashed up anchovies (about 30 to 60% of the volume of the oil) and cooking it down to an even sauce/paste then add some cooked spaghetti, mix in and done

Oh and just keep it slowly cooking on a low heat for a couple of mins, till you can smell it nicely. And that pasta better be fuckin perfect

Not much THAT much
Crushing releases pretty much all of the chemicals inside the garlic cells as opposed to keeping the cell structure mainly intact (when slicing).

>Wa la.

What's so hard about apples?

>optional peel the outside
>slice apple in half down the center axis
>cut a little V-notch to remove the stringy stuff
>dig out a little bowl in the middles to get rid of the seeds

wa la.

We, americans, do that all the time.

really good for coring tomatoes as well

I use them daily.

Many people have shit-tier knife skills and would take 5 minutes to do that.

A filleting knife is pretty shitty for anything other than filleting fish.

OTOH if you have to fillet fish they are far better than using a generic chef's knife.

Why not just use your sink for this? Set cutting board next to sink.

Many also have knives that will crush the apple before breaking its skin.

I'm european, garbage disposals aren't common here.

Get one. Or just put a plastic bin (like a washtub or something) inside your sink and push the food into that.

I consider lack of maintenance (sharpening) to be part of the "shit tier knife skills" umbrella.

>hey come over, I'm gonna make [ONE SPECIFIC FOOD] later!
>these people exist
disgusting

>Oxo brand

You know, we have about 30 Oxo brand things around the house from plungers to pizza cutters, and every single one is 5-stars easy. I have never seen a bad product from those guys. They're all study, well built, and functional. Just really good shit. Would shill again. A+++.

I'll agree they are pretty good, and certanly among the better stuff you'd get from, say, a normal supermarket or wal-mart. But they're far from perfect.

Most of the tools have the problem of combining a metal "tool" with a rubberized plastic handle. That creates the opportunity for the handle to come loose.

I also have some specific complaints: Their potato ricer is made of thin metal and bends easily. Their safety-type can opener requires an amazing degree of care to align with the can before you cut. And their meat tenderizer is of shit quality compared to a Jaccard. Pizza cutter is dull, and feels flimsy in the hand.

They're far from perfect, but they aren't bad. You can certainly do worse!

Ovens

Nope, they can also store stuff, especially if you're Chinese and do everything in a wok.

This dude got a /thread from some tard some time ago and now he keeps posting that same shitty toaster.

Anyway, I've heated up burgers in them, and I finished pre-baked pitas in them too, so they're not single purpose.

I like to use mine for ginger. Although you need a sturdy one, otherwise it'll brake.

It's not for de-skinning garlic, it's for chopping it. Hence the blades. You don't put a fucking skinned clove into it, moran.

>Let me tell you how superior I am.

I think you're missing the point.

If you want chopped garlic you put the clove (skin on) on your cutting board. Then you smack it with the flat side of your knife. In that one single motion the skin will fall off, and the clove will be broken apart into pieces. It takes less than a second. If you want it "rough chopped" then smack it lightly. If you want it "fine chopped" then smack it harder. That's it. Done. No silly gizmos to clutter up your kitchen. No having to carefully peel the garlic first before using said gizmo. Smash, remove skin, done. It takes no more than a second.

These posts always confuse me. Why do people think that someone is trying to brag? Especially on a fucking anonymous forum.

They're just suggesting something that you might use to improve your own cooking.

A lot of people here imagine insults or bragging even when they aren't present at all.

fleshlight

there is no way to interpret that post as anything but elitist bullshit

Are you suggesting that the poster was somehow wrong though?

Sure, it reads a bit assholish, but then again this if Veeky Forums so that's automatically assumed. The underlying facts are undeniable.

>there's no way to interpret a post that recommends someone use a knife to perform the function it was designed for instead of a one off mom tier contraption designed to break after 10 uses as anything other than pretentious elitism.

>Post single use tools

I always laugh when Alton brown would talk about single use tools on good eats.

He'd whine about "only one single use tool in my kitchen" but would have 60 copies of the same multiuse tool.

>
A filleting knife is pretty shitty for anything other than filleting fish

pretty sure you've never been schooled enough to use a freshly cleansed filleting knife to trim around a ripe mango stone brah

Thanks Rachel Ray.

You could fast such that nothing else could possibly be in your colon but spent apple material.

If you can put up with everyone thinking you're a fag who impulse buys trash then a spiralizer is also worth it

>garlic press
What a meme for foodies. Here's a tutorial for that day your press breaks at the hinges.
youtube.com/watch?v=eOyjFc0Utw8

And this guy is doing it painfully slow. We'll let him slide because he's an educator.

Most people do it this way.

Sigh. Reposting

They're good for healthfriends who want an alternative to pasta.

Except Rachel Ray endorses such useless unitaskers because she sells shit like that.

Wassup Eduardo

What is this

So you used a toaster to toast things. Well done.

>get invited over
>host has made 8 different meme dishes I know have to eat and pretend I like
I want your kind to die out

Sup bro. Mexis love their lime yes

Meat in a toaster is asking for a fire. You don't want hot fat spitting/dripping into your toaster.

I live in a tiny fucking one room flat, and share a kitchen with a bunch of normies, so I avoid it as much as humanly possible.
I have a waffle iron that I have literally cooked fucking everything in, from salmon to pizza to vegetables.
Its fucking amazing, because it gets incredibly hot and gives neat patterns on meats

There's a tienda down the street that sells 10 limes for $1, I bought 50 and now I don't know what to do with all of them

seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-mince-chop-garlic-microplane-vs-garlic-press.html

>and gives neat patterns on meats
I think what you meant to say was, it makes meat waffles

Well, sometimes I cook oodly shaped meat in it, like a chunk of pork, so it gets uneven patterns that look kinda cool. I might take some pictures next time and show you guys

honestly I wish we had one of these at work, I don't mind slicing, but when I have to do 10 of the fuckers it gets boring real fast

It'd be cool to make grilled cheeses/cheese and bean toasties in. It just looks like a George Foreman grill but with texture.

juice? add water and sugar.

I prefer squeezing them on top of things. cucumbers, jicama, some Asian food, soups.

Okay i'm snapping here
I fucking despise these things DESPISE them. fuck these motherfucking single pate waffle irons and panini presses and all thaat bullfucckery. I remember once they produced a version of a waffle iron panini press whatthefuckever with (spoiler) interchangeable grill plates (holy fucking shit I know!) one for fucking wwaffles one for fucking paninis one for being a fucking skillet or some shit and one made for meat or some motherfucking shit like that and now all you find is panini presz with the plate welded in waffle iron with the plate welded in but no motherfucking interchangeable plates. Why? So you can spendd an extra motherfucking 25 dollars on some mandalay bay crap. I'm fucking spicy
/endrant

just call him a faggot and move on

The t-handle version with the plunger is 1000x better than the model in your
Pic