Chopsticks

What do you think of chopsticks Veeky Forums? Are they a meme utensil?

Their good for dipping fried dumplings

all utensils are memes

I use chopsticks for almost everything.

Lived in Asia for a couple years so I can use them like a native, although they only make sense for a few things like sushi and cut up bbq.

They're nice sometimes, they have a nice texture that can be pretty comfy to eat with. They're easy to use with food that's served in bite-sized chunks that can be lifted right off the plate and into your mouth, but reay can't be used with a lot of Western style dishes. If you don't know how to use them, they're easy enough to learn and can be a deceptively important part of appreciating Asian cuisines.

All utensils are tools and I love all forms of tools. Sometimes I will eat or cook with them just because it is fun.

You can’t really use chopsticks until you’ve mastered slippery-as-fuck Korean stainless chopsticks.

Hands> forks>chopsticks

You got me man, I just use Chinese style ones 9 times out of 10.

can't live without them

metallic eating utensils are utter garbo

The best in most cases are the throw-away wood ones. I particularly like the rolling de-burring ritual.

Chopsticks are objectively better than a fork for eating salad.

Than you can't use them like a native. If you know how to use them properly you can literally eat anything with them, they are extendable fingers.

If I don't feel like getting my hands greasy I'll use them to eat all sorts of finger foods, pizza, chicken wings, chips, really anything.

>pizza
I need to see that.

Post a video of you eating pizza with chopsticks.

Eating potato chips or fries with chopsticks would surely get you committed for crippling autism.

another guy that lived in china for a long time here. You CAN eat just about anything with chop sticks, but you'll look like a savage doing it. Remember chinamen have no problem having food running out of their mouth and their head leaned over the bowl.

don't buy metal chopsticks they are the ultimate meme

I believe they were a conspiracy by the s Korean government when the country was rapidly developing to save wood. Same as fan death.

Fan death is a uniquely retarded Korean thing, but how does it relate?

It was some rumour spread by the government to have people save electricity, just as metal chopsticks were a meme spread to save wood.

You get used to them... but it makes you think that in centuries of eating rice, not a single person in Asia thought of a spoon or fork and the best idea was two pieces of sticks??

There's definitely a time and a place for it. I don't do this shit in public, but when I'm at home eating at the computer I'll use chopsticks for sure. I hate getting my mouse or keyboard greasy.

Just think of how you would eat a slice of pizza only using your index finger and thumb. Put chopsticks underneath the slice at the back, pinch the crust to curl/fold the slice and than lift up and eat. The first couple bites might be a little awkward depending how long or floppy the slice is.

I go to the asian market and buy those giant bags of like 500 disposable chopsticks for $2 and use them for almost everything.

>you can literally eat anything with them
Soup.

i'm so sick of Veeky Forums the "meme [ingredient/dish/pot/pan/utensil]" meme

drink out of the bowl

There are Asian spoons.

Already using them in my local cuisine (we love spoon&fork and chopsticks, not much love for fork&knife) but somehow, most of us get the grip wrong. But we don't use it on anything beside noodles anyway so I kinda say fuck it and never actually try to get it right. THis continues for 20 years.
But one day I get to live in Japan for reasons, and I get to use them everyday until my grip became correct. (naturally, in maybe six months) I can grab a seed, bean, or tofu with my eyes closed and now two sticks made much more sense as a utensil.

In short it's useful if you get it right. I'd not expect everyone to like it but if you think it's useless maybe you got the grip wrong. It's one of those Asian thing I can imagine Americans hate.

They're surprisingly useful for cooking. I don't eat with them much unless I'm having noodle soup or something.

Absolute mongoloid

WRONG.
If you want to pick every piece individually out of the salad or if you have something a fork can't penetrate easily like raw carrots or radishes, maybe.
Otherwise it's better to get a nice stab full of everything.

This. Eat or cook just about anything with chopsticks. Only exceptions are soups (only ladels apply) and things cooked in ovens. Stir, scrape, flip, serve, shape, saute whatever the fuck with chopsticks. Good wooden chopsticks last forever, don't scratch off the Teflon coating on non stick pans, and can manipulate anything lighter than the density of wood. You can get really creative.

I eat just about everything with chopsticks, but not cook everything with them... perhaps I should correct this. The one thing that I do cook using them is bacon, there is no easier way to flip bacon.

>stabbing a crouton

Chopsticks > hands > forks

Virgin fork vs Chad chopsticks
Disposable equivalents are flimsy and impotent, the real deal are useful only as glorified skewers
Difficult to mass wash, reuse of utensils spreads germs if washers aren't diligent
Limited uses, cannot carry what it cannot penetrate
Easily bent prongs
>Vs
Even disposable models are resilient, get a million for a dollar, no germs spread
Extension of your body
Lift things easily
Can replace any cooking tool but spoons
Grow on trees

Try cooking eggs (omelette maybe, don't recommend fried) with chopsticks. I've never made eggs without chopsticks. It's so easy, and similar techniques are scalable to meats, curries, and limited pastries.

Chopsticks are a really old meme, but they're a useful meme.

weeaboo signaling

I like to use them to pretend I'm a walrus

Use them when they are the provided utensil. Pretty damn simple.

You forgot about Korea, user.
Also, .

Is that what the metal ones are? I grabbed a pack at an asian mart, they seem alright. I prefer wood, tho.

Asian here, I use them for Chinese, japanese, Korean food. They're really easy to use especially for rice.

I don't use it for other cuisine though. It may be weird but I use whatever is common for that cuisine. It just feels right, so if I'm having western food it's spoon/fork/knife, hands for Indian and Malaysian food, etc.

I just can't wrap my mind around them, when I go to an asian restaurant they employees probably make fun of me.

We don't care. We don't put forks and knives out by default unless someone asks, but, nobody cares if you want them.

It's a Confucianism thing.

>he doesn't eat his fries with chosticks

I use them to cook with a lot, they're more versatile and will fuck up pans a lot less than a metal fork. They're only useful to eat specific foods, and most things chopsticks are easy to eat with are much easier to eat with your fingers (sushi etc).

When I said Asian, I meant Asian including Korea or anywhere else in Asia. Dumbfuck.

My bad.

lol fkn caucasian holding them sticks. No asian holds sticks THAT close to tip. I'm Mexican and know how to eat every grain of rice using chop sticks. Caucasians are pathetic in learning ANYTHING about other cultures/races.

That's also why they are the worst at learning a second language

>order chinese
>get chopsticks
>"when in rome"
>noodles, chicken, easy peasy
>rice
>????????
>eat a few grains one by one
And thats when I switch to the fork.

I dont understand how gooks eat rice with chopsticks.

You gotta hold them parallel at just the right distance to scoop up a small bite. Though honestly fried rice is so fucking delicious, id rather just eat it with a spoon.

thats why they're mostly skinny, takes em an hour to eat or they just give up and starve. think i'll start using chop sticks now, might help me shed a few pounds.

I'm fucking trying this. Genius.

>have been eating rice a lot lately
>decide to attempt to eat it with chopsticks
>get the hang of it almost immediately
What's it like being mentally challenged?

Protip: plain rice is sticky enough that you can grab a bite with the chopsticks and it'll all stick together just fine. Dunno about fried rice, that would probably be a lot harder.

They're a stupid relic that Asians don't want to let go, because muh culture. There is no good excuse to keep using them.

On the other hand, if everyone was forced to use these unwieldy things, maybe the obesity epidemic would finally reverse, and everyone would become as slim as the japanese.

I picked up a pair of korean-style chopsticks and they're honestly not that hard to eat with, it might take some getting used to but it's really not that difficult.

>I dont understand how gooks eat rice with chopsticks.

Pick up the bowl near your mouth. Scoop with the sides of the sticks.

>unwieldy
What's unweildy about them? You just give up too soon. Can you look back at how long it took you to use a knife and fork as a child?

It's not an issue whether you can use them well or not. Even if you're very adapt at using chopsticks, forks and spoons will be the more practical method.

I think it depends on what you're doing with them. I was raised with a knife and fork. I picked up chopsticks very quickly when I was a kid.

I think some foods are better suited to one or the other. Chopsticks have an advantage for certain things because of their precision. You can pick small pieces out of a complex dish far easier than you could trying to stab it with your fork. They're especially handy if you're eating "family style" and everyone is sharing the same dishe(s). You can pick up your food without touching the rest of the food on the plate.

But sure, for many things a knife & fork is preferable. I'm not sure why it has to be one vs the other. Different tools for different jobs.

All asian cultures use spoons as well as chopsticks and the chopsticks make a helluva lot of sense when much of your food is prepped in bite sized pieces and in the case of whole fish it's a simple matter to lift out a chunk off the carcass. They're more sanitary too since they don't have nooks and crannies where food can become lodged like forks.

Sounds like you're just butthurt because you're too spastic to learn to use them and bitter they got the best of you.

They're very convenient for getting Cheetos and the like from bags without getting orange dust on your hands.
Spoons and forks are unsuitable for this task.