Chicken cheese

How come you hardly ever see chicken cheese or pig cheese? I know most cheese is made from cows milk but sometimes I see cheeses made from goat's milk or sheep milk. But you never really see pig or chicken cheese even though these animals are common to farming. Is it because the cheese would taste bad, or is it because there isn't enough fat in the milk?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_milk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Now, I've been wrong about how chickens work before, but I'm pretty sure they're birds and therefore don't produce milk, a somewhat important ingredient of cheese.

This and pigs just don't produce milk as well as a cow so it's not worth it. Probably doesn't taste as good either.

Kind of unrelated, but if I remember correctly some people tried to drink seal milk. They said it had a consistency almost like mayonnaise and tasted like fish, and that it was pretty gross. Cows/goats/sheep are mainly used because they're the best producers and their milk tastes the best.

Do you think that chicken produce milk?

>birds don't produce milk
>pigs eat fucking garbage, thus the milk is garbage

>chickens don't lactate
>pigs are difficult to milk

i've never looked into it but i've been taught that single stomach animals/monogastrics "are what they eat," there are not colonies of microbes like in a four-chambered stomach animal/ruminant that break down consumed food and reconstruct it into something else

since milk has a lot of fat in it, it makes sense. a cow can eat a huge array of stuff (even urea, non-protein nitrogen, it's a really cool concept) and the microbes in its gut will basically disassemble the components into its basic parts and put them back together as essential amino acids etc. a pig lacks this and therefore its milk (and its fat) will be similar to whatever it eats.

this jives with the seal milk. also, pertaining chickens, i worked at a zoo where the flamingos had a natural red dye (canthaxanthin if you want to look it up) added to their food. the waterfowl living in the same exhibit would frequently eat the flamingo food and when they laid eggs the yolks would be a bright, reddish pink instead of the normal yellow or orange.

so the tl;dr the biological attributes of typical milked animals allow their milk to be tasty, atypical animals have weird milk because their bodies can't the fat (which is where the flavor comes from) into something different

sorry for the wall of text i'm having a bad day

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_milk

Back in my spic hometown there was a rumor about how american slices were made out of chicken skin

okay but chicken skin is tasty
flamingos' crop milk is bright blood red and as they produce it, it actually leaches the color from their feathers. you could always tell which adults had chicks because they were very pale pink or white.

>chicken cheese

Tell me this is a fucking troll - a chicken isn't a mammal holy shit.

People have made cheese out of human breast milk before.

neato

Yeah that makes sense. I remember when I first started getting interested in fermented foods and was reading how that works in cows, it's fascinating.

Some companies do the same thing with chicken eggs. They'll add orange foods or dyes to make the yolks seem healthier. Not sure if that still happens much because it didn't seem to catch on and become a fad.

Hope the rest of your day or tomorrow is better.

Oh but they do, user

>a chicken isn't a mammal
I'm not an idiot, a mammal chicken is called a cock or rooster.

Do rats and mice lactate?

The closest thing to chicken cheese would be a thousand year old egg.

I'd like to think OP is bait but with so many americans around you never really know

You can milk my chicken heyo.

You do know what "mammal" means, right?

There was a guy on /r9k/ who milked his hamster, so anything is possible. Would assume rats are similar

>cows, ewes and nanny goats are the best milk producers
Yes.
>their milk tastes the best
No.
Jennies and mares also give milk and, as far as I remember (haven't had donkey/horse milk since I was a wee lad, so it's been quite a while now) it was the tastiest. Donkey's milk in particular was fantastic. Milky, but sweet and very creamy.

As far as making cheese goes, I think many other types of milk lack something or other cow's milk has that allows it to be suitable for cheese-making. I'm not a chemist, so I'm not sure if the thing they lack is lactose or casein or some other thing but I do know that I've never encountered even a semi-firm cheese made purely from goat's milk, just soft, spreadable ones.
Semi-firm goat's milk cheeses I've had always had cow's milk in them as well so I would guess that goat's milk cheeses aren't able to hold shape and harden as do cow's milk ones and that, if this is true, it's possibly also true of several other sorts of milks as well.

>chicken cheese
I know you're joking, but 'egg cheese' is a thing. It's called hrudka. Not exactly cheese, really, but similar enough and often referred to as a 'cheese' by cultures outside of those which make hrudka natively.