Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: MEXICAN INSPIRED!

Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: MEXICAN INSPIRED!

>JUST IN TIME FOR DIAS DE LOS MUERTOS

That's right: MEXICAN INSPIRED.
What does that mean? Well, if you can't figure this shit out you should probably stay away from the knives.

Dishes will be scored on the following areas, so keep that in mind.

-Presentation: The appearance of items on the plate; plating skills
-Originality: Creativity in composing the dish
-Appeal: How appetizing the food looks/whether or not the dish appeals to your personal taste as a voter
-Challenge Goals: How closely the entry followed the challenge goal(s)

The distinction between Presentation and Appeal: If someone submits an artfully arranged but burnt steak as an entry, it may score high in Presentation but low in appeal.

Remember people, timestamp and unique identifiers. Stop forgetting damn you.

Please suggest as you go, 'cos I'm gathering suggestions like some sort of hoarder.

Results of last month will be posted soon, so keep your eyes open.

Veeky Forums Challange 09/2017 results.

PIZZA

1st place: Snowman @ 16.86/20

2nd place: Mushka @ 15.93/20

3rd place: Shake-kun @ 15.5/20

4th place: Haburashi @ 15.07/20

5th place: Sinistersalmon @ 14.29/20

6th place: Moyen @ 14.07/20

7th place: Corkscrew @ 13.57/20

8th place: Dormdude @ 12.57/20

9th place: Anonymous @ 12.21/20

10th place: Frenchdude @ 12/20

11th place: Envelope Guy @ 11.14/20

12th place: Chef Makiru @ 10.29/20

13th place: New Yawk Styihl 'Za @ 9.43/20

14th place: AEST @ 9/20

15th place: Hillary Clinton Should Be In Jail @ 8/20

16th place: Lick My Balls @ 6.29/20

>MEXICO
>E
>X
>I
>C
>O
Nice! Tho I share the fear with the poster who said in the previous thread that a bunch of entries will be random shit wrapped up in tortillas. Whooo! I'm hyped!

>lose the challenge
>part of my suggestion for october gets picked
It's like I won after all. Sort of.

I wish Numbaz would've gone with the whole suggestion which was Mexican-inspired cooking that's NOT served with tortillas. I'm still sticking to my guns and scoring low on goal and creativity any entry that just gets food X and puts it on/in/with a tortilla. Unless the tortilla is homemade, maybe. Also low score if you just get taco fixings and serve it on a bowl of rice.

Some people have to have tortillas with their food due to religious restrictions, possibly.

Third place is pretty good! Congrats Shake-kun!

Sweet! Runner up. I wasn't expecting that, honestly. This month will be fun, but trolled hard again, I'm sure. And congrats Snowman!!

That makes about as much sense as giving pottery classes to limbless orphans.

Why thank ya. You as well. And congrats to Snowman, too. And I called it right after he posted his entry, too. Shoulda bought a lotto ticket.

in honor of guam's impending destruction, someone should cook chamorro food since it's literally all 'mexican inspired' anyway
>want flour tortillas
>nolardlol so let's use coconut cream instead for both fat and water
>we'll call it titiyas instead tortillas, ain't we clever?!
>titiyas (C) guam, 1668

I have never claimed to make any sense whatsoever.
Have faith in your fellow coo/ck/s.

I think I have an idea for what to make this month.
Didn't post in the last two, I'm sorry if that disappointed anyone.

Titiyas sounds funny, but possibly tasty; maybe filled crepe style with a slightly sweet creme anglaise and berry mix.
Good to see you back, you had second place three months in a row, bombed, then vanished. Afraid that turned you off, but apparently not.
The more the merrier!

I've had titiyas, both the sweet and plain flour types but never had the corn ones. Both the ones I had tasted really rather nice. Had the plain one with Guamish beef ceviche (pretty much the same thing as Mexican ceviche... just with lean beef mince instead of chopped fish plus the addition of shredded coconut).

What's the name of those sweet tamales Chamorros make with masa harina and coconut milk stuffed with banana and steamed in banana leaf (rather than corn husk)? I tried googling it a while back but couldn't find it.
That shit was delicious.

Just googled again and apigigi' (with the apostrophe, yes) looks similar, but that's made with cassava flour rather than masa harina. I did find Chamorro red tamales made with masa harina and achiote, stuffed with pulled chicken, though, while googling 'chamorro tamales.'
Those people are basically Aztec/Mayan/Polynesian/Asian hybrids and so is their cuisine. You wouldn't expect it.

I will make this

>google mexican recipes
>first results are just a bunch of cheese and meat slop on a tortilla

This is gonna take some work.

Glad to see the critical thinking going on here instead of slop on a tortilla. I'm looking forward to what results this month. Might not be participating but if I happen to be making something good unique I'll try to contribute.

>beef ceviche
Why have I never thought of that?
What do the ceviche the beef with?
Lemon juice?
I can't really see lime juice doing the job for beef, maybe vinegar...

First result I got was allrecipes, so yeah tortilla slop.
Did see a drink recipe that sounded refreshing, might try that out.
Also, forgot the webm tutorial.
Sorry.

I would guess any of the three is fine. Cambodians have a lime-cooked beef salad and that tastes pretty nice and I've had beef with some sort of vinegar in Vietnamese restaurants which is also good. And lemon is typical for tartar, so yeah. Any of'em.

>random shit wrapped up in tortillas
YOU STOLE MY IDEA YOU BASTARD I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU

Beef and lime... what else is in the salad?
Big fan of lime, good stuff, nice and TART.

Well, they stole my idea too. Maybe we should go half on a lawsuit. Not really, I'm leaning towards soup.

some nigger better make some huaraches

That shit is really fucking good. I had it at a vietnamese place.

Been a while since I had it, so not 100% sure but IIRC, it's beef marinated in lime juice and stinky fish sauce then dressed with Asian basil (in place of coriander), shallot (in place of spring onion), sliced chillies and crushed toasted peanuts.
The Viet one I've had is just thinly shaved raw beef served on a communal plate, topped with basil, shallot and crushed toasted peanuts. Each person gets an individual dish of vinegar mixed with fish sauce and sugar. You nab a slice with chopsticks, dip in vinegar and consume. I've seen individual portions served in a bowl over broken rice or bun and diners pour the dish of vinegar over it all themselves tableside. As with the Cambo one, it's been quite some time since I've last had it, so I might be misremembering this one, too.

Doesn't that mean sandle? I'm Euro so I don't know many Mexispanish food terms. What's 'huarache' as a food? Something that looks like a sandle, I would guess?

I'm really hoping that I can participate this month! I know shit all about Mexican cuisine, maybe this is my opportunity to learn.

Thanks m8.75!
Sounds good, might whip some up on a lark.
Might whip some up on another kind of bird as well.

Good to have you back, my postm8!
Thank the sinister daemonic forces that I worship for the internet, now anyone can become acquainted with any cuisine, lucky for me.

are desserts permitted? I could try my hand at making churros, heard it's an incredibly delicate dough

inb4 someone makes ramen noodles carefully surrounded by one single-serving bag of doritos cut open sideways and carefully placed with tongs, covered with corn, with two squeezes of lime juice, covered with mayo and ketchup, covered with bbq potato chips, and doused in fruit punch

FUCK, mexican """street food"""" is truly horrible, fuck

Tortilla soup?

Anything Mexican-inspired, from desserts to mains to cocktails to dog food, whatever you gots is what we wants.

what is the deadline? gonna try to get in on this

no idea if this tripfag shit will work

Damn, I actually won, didn't expect it, that's pretty nice. I'm probably not gonna win this month seeing as I'm a Europoor who doesn't have that much experience with Mexican food, but I'll try something.

I will not leave these threads alone until some sexy gril posts her feet

It's working great.
Entries are accepted up to 11:59pm 24th of October 2017.

Always chances to learn, Snowbro.

You already got a picture of my hairy stompers, bugger off.

U r not gril

I'm proud of my accomplishments.

Just do something Spanish, no one will be able to tell the difference. If you want authenticity, substitute ground dog meat for any beef or pork.

Here ya go, hon.

I will leave a few recipes I enjoy a lot, hopefully someone will have the guts to make them

Cazuela de res
Frijol con hueso
Caldillo de machaca
Birria / Tacos de Birria
Tacos de pescado/camaron capeados
Cabrito
Aguachile
Pescado Zarandeado
Cochinita pibil
Crema de calabaza

>t. Mexican

The one female in the USA who isn't obeast and her feet look like hooves

I already have some ideas, the biggest problem is getting the ingedients here. Mexican stuff isn't exactly common, even basic shit like cornflours are hard to find. But I will see what I can muster.

>even basic shit like cornflours are hard to find
Hayzoos wept.

All you need for Mexican food is tortillas. Grill up some chicken chunks, onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms, and throw them between a couple of tortillas with enough cheese to clog the arteries of a Clydesdale, then serve with sour cream and tomato salsa and maybe some whack-a-mole if you wants to be fancy, and you gots your entry. Wa la.

Remember folks: Mexican INSPIRED.
You've got some flexibility in terms of ingredients.

Bumperino

Maybe some home-made tortilla strips as a garnish, but I'm leaning towards a different soup.

>implying you have to use cornflour to cook mexi food
while enchiladas suizas are usually made with maize tortillas, wheat tortillas are pretty common for it too. like 60/40 i would guess maize:wheat
its a very uro-meets-mexi dish as it's made with bechamel sauce (or evaporated milk, if you don't know how to make bechamel), chiles, onion, green tomato (if you can't find tomatillo), chicken, cheese (whatever type you like; mexican-style "manchego" is a popular choice in MX, but abroad, you can use young gouda) and wheat tortillas.
there are other dishes based on wheat instead of maize, too, but this one is pretty tasty, easy to make and (if you use red chiles instead of green) pretty to look at so it is what I would recommend
google translate a recipe and look for "tortillas de trigo" or "tortillas de harina" in the ingredients list
>but i cant find tortillas of any kind!
use sandnigger flatbread wraps then since its pretty close. turkish durum is almost the same thing

Oh I'll manage to get all my shit, it's just not as easy or as cheap to find everything compared to Mexicans or Americans, since it's not that common here.

There's plenty of wiggle room with Mexican Inspired, so even a landlocked desert filled with pines and snow (it's a cold desert, obviously) can still pull it off.

Have you been watching "Bonanza" or "Gunsmoke" reruns?

7 11 sells mexican hot chocolate cookies. they are REALLY GOOD. thats my entry. fuck you all, its good.

>enter a cooking competition with food you didn't make
I bet you also participate in marathons and then just ride it with a motorbike.

The only time I ever saw either of those shows was back when I worked with mental patients.
I'm actually watching all of Seinfeld right now.

Bump

I might not be able to participate so I might as well say what I wanted to make.
Elotes, but in soup form.
Corn broth, roasted corn pureed in with cayenne, lime, crema, and cilantro. Topped with roasted corn, crumbled cotija, minced cilantro, and a dusting of ancho powder, maybe some home made corn tortilla strips.
Damn, but I was looking forward to making it, still might be able to.

At least make something with it and then show us a picture, come on.

Bump

Sounds interesting.
Maybe you can make it or someone else might.
Thanks for the bump!

This sounds awesome and definitely fits the theme. 5/5 originality

Definitely going to do this challenge but will need to think on it a bit, Mexican is my favorite type of ethnic food but my favorites are likely to all be seen as trash here

Looking forward to whatever you come up with, stranger!

>my favorites are likely to all be seen as trash here

Great! You'll fit right in with everyone else!

Hooray, I got a 5/5!
No chance of that being included in the scoring I suppose...

Nope, no chance.
Sorry m8pick.

the mayo is the main ingredient in elotes besides the corn, without incorporating that into it you just have a corn soup.

5/20, Dickpic.

I've done worse. You're rating me higher than I rate myself at least.

/contest

Moar!

>vegetables athletics
So, a particularly graceful squash or something?

turns out spending most of your formative years forcing your feet to bear all your weight on just one or two toes does awful things to them.

>MEXICAN INSPIRED!

So you mean like bribing police?

Like invading and ignoring the sovereignty of neighboring nations?

You having a lie cheat and steal child like culture?

That kind of inspired?

If you can make a dish inspired on those bits, then yes, but I don't know how well it will go with the votes.

Im'ma just drop a bump real quick like.