What's the biggest sign that someone is shit in the kitchen?

What's the biggest sign that someone is shit in the kitchen?

I think it would have to be having containers of pre-ground black pepper instead of a grinder.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bQDzaj91oFY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>grinding your own pepper
do Americans really do this?

>What's the biggest sign that someone is shit in the kitchen?
Their food tastes like shit.

I have both and use the preground stuff most of the time because I like it better. kys

one of these fucking pieces of shit

Except that most grinders won't grind pepper nearly fine enough for certain applications. Ground pepper and cracked pepper are two separate things. And unless you want to bust out an electrical spice grinder every time you wanted to make scrambled eggs it's hardly worth it. I keep both whole and ground pepper on hand. I'll grind the pepper in a hand mill for some applications but sometimes I need fine powder. And for things like spice rubs or curries where I'm going to be toasting and grinding many herbs, obviously I use whole peppercorns.

>I have both and use the preground stuff most of the time because I like it better. kys
I use the preground in cole slaw and egg-olive salad recipes, and sometimes in a sausage gravy. I use preground about half the time in BBQ rubs. For these applications I want a lot of pepper flecks, quite fine, but not a lot of bite to the pepper. I also use the pre ground pepper in my grandmother's pepper shakers that match a couple different sets of china. They bring out the nostalgia at holidays and other dinner parties.

I probably own 20 different pepper grinders, which I use for coarse to fine, from turkish I've had since the Frugal Gourmet, to table service grinders fit for the best salads, or just mills that do copious grinding near my stovetop or out at the grill. I have a prep counter in my kitchen that gets its own salt and pepper mill too.

There is room in your brain to understand seriously busy cooks that make a ton of recipes on the regular would want both, right? I guess if you have to judge someone, for me the big no-no is the garlic salt. I don't get why you couldnt use garlic powder and salt separately, but maybe there is some preservation science to buying it as a salt. Or is it lazy man's convenience, like cinnamon sugar? I adore celery salt, and I am aware celery seed and dehydrated celery exists too. To each their own.

Good for large roasts and fermenting.

My friend is a genius in the kitchen, very good sense of taste and seasoning, and a good eye for when food is cooked to the right temp/tender. However, he owns one of these. He basically just got suckered into the meme. I asked him 6 months after he bought it if he still uses it and he said he hadn't used it in 5 months.
>soundsAboutRight.jpg

People that use margarine instead of butter.

/thread.

>scrambled eggs
>black pepper

you're doing it wrong.

Also, my pepper grinder can be adjusted for coarse or fine grinding. It was only like $10 on amazon and it works for literally every application where black pepper is called for.

Maybe you should stop obsessing over the size of your ground pepper particles and focus more on how to make actually good scrambled eggs.

Here's some free knowledge for you:
youtube.com/watch?v=bQDzaj91oFY

>using one hand to crack eggs
stopped watching. I don't have time for this garbage.

>Also, my pepper grinder can be adjusted for coarse or fine grinding. It was only like $10 on amazon and it works for literally every application where black pepper is called for.
All grinders eventually get a little stripped or loosey-goosey in the screw down to keep particles fine. You're a little too sure of yourself. Maybe you should cook more or mature a bit.

>posts on a shitty anime board
>has no time for a successful chef
How many full circles has your head made up through your ass?

>good for large roasts

no, it isn't. the cook time is entirely too long and you have to guard against the water evaporating. The evaporation is a double pain because it will cause the bath to lose heat, which slows the cooking process down, and it can cause a loss of contact between the cooking pouch and the bath.

Then, when the roast actually finishes cooking, it will have a slimey, disgusting outer texture that has to be corrected in the oven or under a broiler. Why the fuck did you just spend 24 h cooking a large roast in a warm water bath if not to avoid the "hassle" of using the oven? These devices are marketed as being convenient replacements for the "guess work" of oven roasting, but then they still require you to use the oven to "finish" the food. It's pure advertising double speak.

Sous vide makes sense for a some applications, like cooking a batch of food in advance and holding it for service, but for large roasts, it is impractical and idiotic.

You are talking about the cambro and not the fucking mystery implement in it?
If so you are dumb. Or
>t. Never cooked in a restraunt

Cambros are fucking awesome for brining or marinating multi person quantities of meat. Just to name the obvious. A plethora of other uses. Let's see. When could u possibly want to store a half gallon+ volume of food in a non-reactive airtight container in the fridge (of in the case of died goods, in the pantry).

Fucking tard

Oh. I'm on my phone. Sous vide? Meals great steaks out of mediocre cuts. Ba da tsxcxxschh

>You're a little too sure of yourself

no, I'm exactly as sure of myself as I should be. We're talking about adding ground pepper to food that will be cooked and/or served, not landing a Falcon rocket on a boat at sea. The size of pepper particles is not so critical that absolute precision is needed.

There is literally no culinary process that will require six-sigma level precision in the size of ground pepper particles. All I need from black pepper is for it to be small enough to play well with the food around it, and not so big that it sticks in my teeth. Fussing any more about the size of the pepper bits is autistic.

what are you going on about? I said that an immersion circulator (aka sous vide cooker) can be used to hold food IN POUCHES until they are ordered. Then the pouches of food can be opened, finished, plated, and served. Plenty of restaurants do this, especially fine dining places that serve confit or other bourgeois fare. Get off your phone and neck yourself, mate.

My partner has this exact one, except it's from like 1976. It was from his mom's kitchen.
Can pepper go bad? I admit to using it a couple times.

>My partner
you're gay?

Business partner

No. I was arguing the value of the container that this is all happening in.. The cambro. Moved into a new place and my phones all i have. I'm right about the cambro though. Indispensable

I use whole peppercorns and crack/grind to required fineness with a mortar and pestle. Fucking perfect. Fight me.

You seem very insecure user. Surely the person that actually owns the pepper mill can have confidence in how it operates? After all, they are the ones that have actually used it. You on the other hand, seem to believe that you're some sort of pepper mill expert. Have you tested every mill on the market? Because I highly doubt it. So yeah, perhaps you're the one that's a little too sure of yourself, user? Perhaps you're the one that has some maturing to do yourself?

seconded

Fresh pepper is better a lot of the time but that stuff is better sometimes, too. I like salt and pepper chicken from Chinese places and they're probably using the pre-ground stuff. You can taste the pepper but it has no bite to it, and I don't think using fresh pepper would work as well.

Oh and I Really do love what sous vide does to a sirloin. Without a doubt a single use tool that imo is worth having around. Just throw it on the grill for a sear and boom. Perfect rare and tender (except connective tissue in those cheaper cuts really doesn't break down well)

you didn't answer the question. stop deflecting.

>Really do love what sous vide does to a sirloin
>Just throw it on the grill

u wot m8? Why would I bother firing up my charcoal grill just to sear a steak after sous vide cooking it? There is no significant improvement over just cooking it on the grill. If I'm firing up the grill anyway, I can just sear the steak over the chimney once the coals are hot, and then finish cooking it over indirect heat where it will also take on more smokey flavor. The whole process takes less time than your sous vide nonsense.

Sous vide is simply a process that's idiot-friendly and only works for people who can't be bothered to learn better methods.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with cooking with storebought ground spices.

Eh. I don't have one. I worked in a particular resteraunt and we threw sirloins in overnight and when seared on the grill (you know, the malliard reaction) they came out real nice. That is all. It's different in the end. You can't argue that. It's like how you would cook blue. But with the center being a light mid rare. And made a sirloin palatable and tender. I don't know what else to say but it happened.

If you sous vide them for long enough they won't get overcooked but they'll start to get more tender after a certain number of hours. And with sous vide you ensure an even medium-rare or whatever it is you want. Plus you can stuff the bag with some herbs or whatever you want to give it more flavor. It's not as quick but it definitely has its uses.

It's literally powdered flavorless dust in a can at that point.

He said business partner so he only fucks him for the money.

Nothing wrong with that

Bisexual. Why is it so important to you?
That's what I was thinking too. I had to use it to season steaks once when I forgot to bring my own pepper. It sucked.

It's always a nice surprise how much salt and how little pepper we get this time around.

>If you sous vide them for long enough they won't get overcooked

and if I cook steaks on my grill the won't get overcooked either. I'm not in the habit of overcooking steak.

I've grilled sirloin before and it comes out perfectly tender on the grill, as long as the internal temperature is right. Sous vide isn't some magic spell that makes meat taste better, it's just a tool for beginners and people that don't know any better.

>Why is it so important to you?

Your sexuality isn't important to me, but people dodging questions, especially simple questions, is obnoxious. You were asked a simple, direct question. Why not just answer it directly and then move on with the conversation? Why ignore it if you're not ashamed of your answer?

Being bisexual is worse than being a faggot imo, he probably thinks the same thing

Owning one of these pieces of shit

You ignored the rest of that sentence. I hope you didn't do it on purpose because that would be obnoxious. Keeping them at a lower temperature for however many hours will start to tenderize them. Yes, you can not overcook them on the grill and if the meat is good they'll be tender too, but it's not the same thing. The sous vide steaks will be more tender, more like aged beef.

>it's just a tool for beginners and people that don't know any better.
Well that's completely untrue, but you sound really sure in your ignorance, so I feel certain there's no way to convince you otherwise

this is Veeky Forums, land of autistic neets who got something right once having spent all day and thrown out five attempts, ticked off the cheevo on their mental checklist, and went back to the chef boyardee.
of course they don't appreciate a professional tool designed to ensure consistent quality for large batches with a focus on reducing prep time and minimizing opportunities for the stoned-ass line cook to turn out crunchy beef and raw pork.

What's up with peppercorn medley?

Why use it over regular black pepper?

But would it still be a nicer roast after all that effort?

You're just jealous we have more options than you

What do you use instead?

my fists

No, seriously, what?

In my opinion, they're not really useful at home for anything. I see this as a product that escaped professional kitchens and it really shouldn't have.

Also
>what's a lid

Cambros are awesome. I keep 1 large one at my house for when I'm doing brisket. Trying to brine large pieces of meat at home with regular stuff is a lesson in futility.

literally anything flat and heavy? The bottom of a cast iron pan will do the job better than one of those useless little hammers

I just hire a guy to grind mine, ain't nobody got time for that

Pre-ground spices
No deep fryer
Doesn't always have fresh veggies on hand for mirepoix (or another country's equivalent)
Has shitty quality cookware

My five pound erect penis
I have to stand on a stool so it's at countertop height though

Meat hammers are more useful than a flat pan because they give you more control. Most pieces of meat you need to pound out don't start perfectly flat. One end or part will be thicker than another. Using a smaller hammer lets you concentrate more blows on the thicker part and fewer on the thinner part. If you have a serrated meat hammer then you can also use a "pulling" motion as the hammer strikes the meat. This lets you control what direction the meat spreads out in. Handy if you're trying to make a ballatine or other kind of rolled food where you need the meat to be in a specific shape.

You don't get that control by using the bottom of a skillet. You can certainly make it work in a pinch, but why use a halfass solution when a better one exists?

>What's the biggest sign that someone is shit in the kitchen?
Probably that their food is horrible.
Retard.

>"im a carnivore"

aka a man-child.

this

>Fat free
I've never used this. What's it like?

it tastes like garbage. just use fresh garlic.

Why would you even give a fuck? The only people who should be in kitchens are women.