Is this the best whiskey under 50 dollars?

Is this the best whiskey under 50 dollars?

inb4 makers mark

No you're thinking Jim Beam or Jack Daniels.

Anything more expensive is deminishing return.

You make me sick

There are a lot of good Bourbons under $50. Buffalo trace is definitely up there. I'm a fan of 1792. And of course you can't go wrong with woodford

how do i develop my palate with bourbon? i enjoy buffalo trace and maker’s mark but I have a hard time explaining the differences, though i can taste them. how do i refine my palate? do i just drink more kinds of
whiskey?

I fell for the Jack Meme, I hated it.
It was too sweet and tasted like corn.
I ended up throwing half the bottle over the fence into the field where the neighborhood kids play.
Hopefully they find it and become alcoholic

1792, blantons, monkey shoulder. I wish they still made breaking & entering that was a top tier bourbon.

Wait I just looked online and there is B&E did they bring it back?

Drink it neat and take smaller sips, sometimes that helps

Wild Turkey

Jack Daniels

Jim Beam

Bourbon on a budget.

Would have to be either High West Double Rye or Angel's Envy.

You've already posted the best whiskey for under $30. Also Makers is about $10-15 more expensive than it should be. Mediocre shit.

I like Forty Creek. Tastes like black Walnut.

Drink slowly and force yourself to think about the flavor and come up with adjectives to describe it, even if they're shitty. It's a mental muscle that improves with regular use.

Bulleit.

Evan Williams is better and cheaper than any of those. i ca get a liter for 10.99

Anything Kentucky is fine, those fags in Tennessee make their bourbon way to sweet. Jack Daniels is trash

Bulliet was the first bourbon that I've ever drank.

Godbless Minnesomalia and Ireland for coming together to bring us this delightful whiskey.

>High West Double Rye
Aka MGP rye garbage with a cutesy cowboy themed label.
Fuck Utah and fuck cowboys

>2 Ni...? I SAY!

What is this trickery?

Also Bulleit. Evan Williams before JW or Jim Beam.

Elijah Craig 12
Most Japanese whiskies
Red Breast Irish

There are a lot of great whiskies under $50.

This shit is fucking nectar for its price.

See below
Yes yes yes wild turkey is the way to go. Even wild turkey 101 is under 20 these days

This is a phenomenal bottle for the price but I can't seem to find it anymore

Try Evan Williams Bottle & Bond, it's about 28$ per 1/5th, and it's great.

Get some grouse in your house.

I'm having my very first glass of grouse as we speak.

>tfw Buffalo Trace is always sold out at the liquor store, since they only ever keep 4 bottles on the shelf at any given time
Meanwhile, they give an entire shelf to Jack Daniels.

how does Grouse taste, Is it good?
Ive been wanting to try some

The only other whiskey I've ever had was the Black Cherry Jim Beam.
Grouse is very different. I'm having a hard time getting over the "Feels like water, tastes like burning" that you get when you've never really had whiskey before.
I'm picking up on some nice flavours, but I think I anaesthetised my tastebuds, and now I can barely taste anything.

Lmao just add a lil water to it.

Yeah, I tried that but I evidently didn't use enough.

Monkey's Shoulder my dude

Try Johnny Drumm
or Fighting Cock if you like your bourbon hot on the front end, 100 proof

Added some coke zero because it's a fag and I had a can lying around.
Sort helped bring the favour out. Since coke zero is a flavourless sod's drink
I can't quite identify what the flavours are, but it's quite nice. I'm sure once I'm on my third or fourth glass it'll be lovely to have straight/with water.

Evan Williams is the only booze I've ever bought because it's so cheap. Is it worth it to pay a bit more to spring for JD or something else, or would it all taste the same to a pleb like me?

wild turkey

Don't it's fucking trash, one of the worst brands.

>"spring" for JD
Jesus Christ. Do yourself a favor and try Jim Beam at least

>pay a bit more to spring for JD
...how poor are you exactly

If you're after a budget bourbon Jim Beam white label is a better option

is it worth it? costs around 80 burgerbux

Not him but prices vary by state. Where I live JD is one of the more expensive bottles of bourbon at liquor stores.

you're a disgusting human being.

>buy this bourbon for $12
>actually pretty good
>can never find it again :(

even williams single barrel
pikesville rye

I bet you don't even have Grouse in your house.

As far as cheaper Irish whiskeys go, this one is the best one by far in its price range.

Maybe if you have shit taste and enjoy drinking crap grain whisky

>Sort helped bring the favour out. Since coke zero is a flavourless sod's drink
Congrats your actually retarded.
Why is everyone on this board such plebs when It comes to good whisky? Go back to the alcoholic threads where you belong because if you actually cared about buying tasty stuff you'd stop buying in excess and enjoy a bottle per month of good whisky, like a Glengoyne or Clynelish.

Bought this on a whim after coming into some good news. Not very familiar with whiskeys but this one really left me with a positive impression. It tastes like leather smells, super whole cask taste but it's really smooth and smokey. Definitely my favorite current whiskey and it's usually around 20-30 dollars.

Finlaggan is weird cause it's a decent whisky but they can't use the distillery name (pretty sure them and Ileach use Lagavulin juice) due to legalities since they're not actual independant bottlers.
If you like that stuff look for Lagavulin 8.

I find using a mixer on a drink can actually help isolate some of the stronger tastes. Diluting it lowers the burn, and assuming you know what the mixer tastes like, whatever is knew is a starting place for when you start drinking it neat.
Gotta understand that some of us are new to whisky and have to dance around like little faggots for a while to get our feet in the water.
At least I'm not taking it as a shot, whining about how it tastes like ass, and then dismissing the entire drink for the rest of my life.

>I find using a mixer on a drink can actually help isolate some of the stronger tastes. Diluting it lowers the burn, and assuming you know what the mixer tastes like, whatever is knew is a starting place for when you start drinking it neat.
Except water is not just for dilution, it creates oxidation which releases the proteins and amino acids in the whisky which make up the esters which you perceive as flavours.
Adding flavoured soda only makes it taste like soda plus whatever fruit and smoke make it through, all the other delicate flavours are gone with adding soda. If you added soda to something like Dalwhinnie you'd get honey and nothing but soda syrup.
If you actually want to appreciate the craft and passion put into older single malts add water and stop being retarded

Old Forester all the way

I completely agree that's the proper way to do it, I just thought taking a slower approach with one glass wouldn't be too much of a sin.Now that I've had my first non-harsh experience with the drink I can go back to trying it neat and have some idea of what I'm looking for.

No more mixing from now on, and I imagine by the time the bottle is done and I'm onto my third whiskey I'll be able to jump right in without pussyfooting around it.

my wife got me a 2013 vintage middleton very rare whiskey. I can't just drink it randomly, so Ill need some cheaper shit to drink while I longingly look at the wooden box

>ctrl f knob creek
>no results

plebs, all of you

Yes!

It's a bottle that I make sure to always have at home.

Only Single Barrel and Store Pick Knob Creek is good. Buffalo Trace is better for the money.

I'll have to try it. Any other recommendation for someone trying to get into scotch?

If you want more honey heather forward scotch: Craigellachie 13
If you want a nice citrusy Sherry: Glendronach 12
If you want Christmas cake: Glenfarclas 12
If you want to taste the ocean: Springbank 10
If you want smoked pork and tropical fruit: Ardbeg 10

All of the above are well regarded entry level malts and all are quality.

This is my favourite scotch ive tried most of them out there and yet will always choose White and Macay special reserve.
>15-20 pound a bottle it dosent break the bank.
>Can be found in virtually all shops even pakis corner shops.
>Most pubs will have a bottle stored away behind the bar due to its popularity.
>Reknowned by many and has even won awards.
>Isnt overpowered with tastes or scents like Ardbeg or Glennorangie that arent enjoyed by all.
>Can easily be sipped and most inportantly be enjoyed straight up without ice.
>Its not heart breaking or disrespectful to be enjoyed with a soda or coke due to the price.
>Gives off lots of great scents and flavours that you wouldnt normally expect from a bottle of its price.
>Is a large distillery that can afford to do things cheaper than smaller distilleries, such as sell older and better quality whiskey cheaper due to them being a fairly large company.

>mfw I got a 1.75L of Bulleit Rye on special for $45

That stuff is the absolute best to chase a cheap beer with.

GOAT

Jim tastes cheap but is cheap. Jack tastes like almost nothing and ain't cheap. Seriously, Jack is so "mellow" from the sugar maple charcoal or whatever that it tastes like sweetness, a bit of banana, and a little hint of caramel. It's so subdued compared to whiskeys of similar price range.

I'll drink it and it ain't as bad as some whiskey snobs suggest but it certainly ain't worth the price.

>ctrl+f: Eagle Rare
>no results
Niggas

It's my favorite, but holy fuck it's always out of stock at my local liquor store. Even Buffalo Trace is out of stock too.

I literally don't know what this means, I just want things to taste good while I get gradually an incomprehensible drunk

I fell for the Jack Daniels meme.
I drank about half a bottle then got bored.
So I threw the rest of the bottle over the fence onto the empty lot where the neighborhood kids play.
Hopefully some little fuck finds it and it triggers a life of alcoholism.

Same, man. My store had 6 cases come in about a month ago. All with "picked for [STORE NAME]" labels on them. Pretty cool. I took a sip, my first of Eagle Rare, and I was blown away. It has that smooth character that I love but the dried fruit taste on the finish was the fucking bomb. It comes in rarely, we have a case back there now in case a regular asks. Buffalo Trace is like once every two blue moons.

The only true way to refine your palate is to expose yourself to the basic flavors and scents that are generally found in bourbon. Have you ever just really focused on the taste of straight vanilla or straight corn? Look at a bourbon flavor wheel and try to taste the the essence of the descriptors. This applies to tasting in general--so go out and taste some spices straight up, smell some different woods, eat some dirt and shit and your ability to describe and notice what you taste will start to improve.

>mfw my stepdad is good friends with the Bulleit family and I get a near endless supply of this stuff

The Bushmills 10 year single malt is going for $10 more than the Black Bush at a store near me, how do they compare?

For ten extra dollars, go for it (40$ dollars should be the price). Very affordable smooth irish whiskey.

Completely worth it.

Honestly not a fan compared to others mentioned at the start of the thread. Eagle rare tastes kind of bland to me

Then don't drink expensive scotch, stick to bourbon

You sound like a marketer because Whyte and Mackay is regarded as one of the worst blends out there.
If you want a decent blend go for Cattos 12 or Black Bottle. Also you disgust me by even implying that shitty young grain whisky is better than Ardbeg. If you want good grain whisky it needs to be aged well like a nice Port Dundas.

*blocks your path*
Out the way bitch niggas

Ardmore legacy

/thread

I am actually not that big of a fan of Buffalo Trace. It's a good middle of the line bourbon...a failsafe backup, if you will. Something I would get if the bar had no other options.

But I would much rather spend my money on a Rittenhouse Rye or Willett Pot Still Reserve. Not a fan of the Jap whiskeys even though they get a lot of hype for some reason. Overrated, IMO. Johnny Drum is good from what I have heard

>bourbon
>whisky

I really like this and Laphroaig but enjoy the latter a little bit more.

W. L. Weller's "Wheated Bourbon"

im gonna cheat and push the budget an extra five dollars if you dont mind

>paying over $50 for black label
Why?

>paying over 50 for Black Label
You got cheated

i live in canada

1792 is garbage m8

buggest steal on the market

The best whisk(e)y is the whisk(e)y you like best. Whether it's the cheap pap to get drunk, or the high-class tan spirit for a refined nose, the best is what's best for you.

Too peaty bro its like drinking wood

You got cheated. Buy Black Bottle instead if you want shitty grain alcohol.

Lagavulin is literally one of the most delicate peated whisky available thats not Oban or Clynelish
Either peats not for you or you need to fix your palate

pretty bad

EH Taylor Small Batch

I like Caskmates a lot. How does this compare?