Asian supermarket

so im gonna go to one of these soon. what are some essentials i should get from there? memes sriracha i will but i want some other stuff too. noodles maybe too. but give recomendations??

Other urls found in this thread:

nutritionfacts.org/video/do-the-pros-of-brown-rice-outweigh-the-cons-of-arsenic/
youtube.com/watch?v=vP7bOlMQVaE
warosu.org/ck/thread/9498526#p9498604
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>memes sriracha i will
OP had a stroke

I get produce and dry spices. Ceylon cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, etc. Find the produce clearance rack if there is one. Get yourself some wilted greens and ripe/bruised fruit. Japanese and Okinawan sweet potatoes are always good. Grab a durian if the price isn't outrageous.

This ramen, green onions, chicken, and ramune.

>go to azn grocery
>broccoli is cheaper per pound than at white people store and also has the entire inedible portion of the stalk cut off
Why is this?

Fermented black bean paste.

They might sell more of it and there's less waste, so it can be sold at a lower price. Or they just know people won't buy it at a higher price.

>durian

what are you doing user, he isnt ready

Being a white guy in an ethnic market feels weird.

Walked into a mexican grocery once. AWKWARD.

I was surprised to see only Indians the last time I went into an Indian grocery. Sometimes I forget most of my fellow honkies don't buy ingredients.

How do Asians feel when they see us there? Do they worry we'll gentrify their store or even turn their everyday foods into memes so they'll need to buy other food elsewhere?

Mostly we don't care, sometimes it's awkward when you try to be "sneaky" and trail behind us looking at each item we picked off the shelf and playing with your phone while staring at the label intently.

I don't go to the store to chat with random people but if you are really that curious you could actually try asking the person. I dunno if you think people forget how to speak English when they go into an Asian grocery store or what.

>tfw white and go to ethnic markets often

Do what I do and leave your self-awareness at the door. Just act like it's any other grocery store, no one gives a shit.

depends if you’re there to shop or if you’re there to gawk at the “weird” stuff and make loud gagging noises and giggle like a little girl

White people stalk you there???

Miso paste
Gochushang (or however it's spelt) Korean spicy paste
Shichimi (Japanese 7 spice)
Sanshou (Mountain pepper)
Big fukken tub of kimchi

I'm a foodie, raised by a foodie, just there for quality ingredients white stores charge too much for when they have them at all.

I wouldn't say "stalk", since it's not about me, but I honestly don't know what to call it. It's not always, but at least once a month I see a tall white ghost wandering the aisles looking lost and scared, and making furtive glances at the customers whenever someone reaches for something, then "casually" wandering over to inspect that part of the shelf when the customer leaves the area.

What are they after? Why are they there? It's a mystery. Maybe it's the same kind of person who posts those "going to {name of restaraunt} tonight, wat do I order"

People who are just fundamentally afraid of all food, I guess? Maybe they think going to the exotic Asian store will purge their inhibitions and they discover to their chagrin that it didn't happen?

I really have no idea, but it's a thing.

I'm not sure that's exactly the same thing as garum
at the very least it isn't made with the same fish, garum would be made with oily fish out of the atlantic and mediterranean like mackerel

They laugh at you behind your back.
Grandma says they've got yellow fever.

It's only akward if you make it akward
It's all about confident, if you walk there like you own the place knowing what you are looking for and wanting to buy things and leave then everyone treats you like one of them
If you want to stay there two hours reading every label or be too afraid to touch anything then everyone will treat you like the dumb white bitch you are at heart

Expect narrow aisles.

Get anything mochi related you can find. Also, pick up wheat and potato starch for making chinese dumplings. A Japanese mountain Yam or at least the powder is good for okonomiyaki. If you have to get noodles, make sure they're the fresh kind (check the refrigerated area, should come in a big bag).

it's a fucking store, jesus

there's this but it's more difficult to find

What site do you think you're on, satan? It's a well known fact that the corporeal world is a conspiracy against straight white males. If they ever go outside, especially alone, people will call them racist and misogynist and stuff, this is going straight to youtube, you're going to be humiliated!

why do you get so severely triggered by white people reading labels

>you think people forget how to speak English when they go into an Asian grocery store or what.

I could absolutely see white people doing this.

Also, pick up some agar while you're there and a 25lb bag of glutinous sweet thai rice. If you're adventurous, try out the frozen rice bugs too. Apparently you can eat them raw by biting off the head and sucking the entrails, though I've never done it. They do occasionally stock rice bugs though and they kind of look like Madagascar cockroaches.

>So, bottom line, until we know more, my current thinking on the matter is: if you really like rice, you can moderate your risk by cutting down, choosing lower-arsenic varieties, and cooking it in a way to lower exposure even further. But, if you like other whole grains just as much—like if you simply don’t care either way if you have rice vs. quinoa, or whatever, I’d choose the lower-arsenic option.

nutritionfacts.org/video/do-the-pros-of-brown-rice-outweigh-the-cons-of-arsenic/

Those people are the worst
>Walk into Asian store on a Saturday because I need a last minute thing
>Place is completely packed
>Normies are blocking the aisle
>What's this dude?
>Ugh I don't know???
>Get past the retards and walk three steps and there are a new group of retards
>Uhhhhh what's this dude?
>I don't know???
Finally make it into the line to pay and there are 20 people waiting, all carrying one or two products, either candy or soda or something like that
>I can tell they spent the better part of an hour looking at the funny labels before picking up candy and leaving

I've eaten enough white rice for three lifetimes and I'm still not dead. It is high in calories though.

It doesn't kill you now. Increases your risk of having cancer later. Probably not as much as most shit white people eat every day.

Exactly, it's a store, it's not the park, it's not a museum.
You go to the store to buy groceries and then you pay and you leave
If you go to the grocery to touch everything, stare at the labels and then buy one single cheap thing and leave you are the wierd one

Ethnic stores normally purchase the stuff 'normal' grocery store pass on.

There is nothing wrong with it, save cosmetic defects or is close to becoming overripe/rotten.

I seek out ugly broccoli because it's higher in antioxidants :^)

youtube.com/watch?v=vP7bOlMQVaE

Not white people
I'm talking at the white bitch that someone dragged there and she gags at the strong fish smell and she either looks at everything with disgust or acts super excited to see they sell poky
I'm calling you a basic bitch

I'm not basic, I'm very deep, worldly and knowledgeable. I usually go there to get a rare ingredient like tamarind, if they don't have it I might read the labels of some other products to see if there is a good alternative. Sometimes (rarely) I see something I have never seen before and I want to take a look at it, after examining it profusely, I then form an opinion and loudly express it through the medium of animalistic grunts, yelps and guttural noises, this takes about a minute, I then take the time to look around to see people's reactions with the product in hand and usually it is of approval, they nod and smile. Maybe they are humoring me, I don't know, however they don't seem angry. I don't see how I am in the wrong here.

>see thread about asian supermarket on Veeky Forums
>go to my local asian supermarket expecting the worst
>everyone there more or less speaks fluent english

I don't know what I was expecting.

Vietnamese instant coffee packets! They're like $5 for a pack of ~30 and absolutely delicious

It varies. Many of the Hmong I buy stuff from have low English fluency.

White people assume that anytime there's a group of a given ethnicity (other than whites), they don't speak english. And it's not like that assumption is without merit. For example, most mexicans that speak english well have already blended into white society and you don't normally see them loitering with 4 other mexicans. it's usually the ones that can't pull off English that have a hard time assimilating into the populace.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that's a bad thing. No harm being done. Everyone segregates themselves from social elements that don't make them happy, like homeless people, the ghetto, trailer park trash, and non-english speakers we can't talk to. We don't hate them, they just don't bring us any joy, and we prefer those that do. Of course, these days, we call that RACISM OMG11! dun-dun-DUN

not OP, but what am I in for?

google says 4k scoville units. I never really pay attention to this shit but I don't wanna waste noodles if I can't take it.

I've had them all. They're a bit spicy, but not bad. The nuclear one was the only one that made me sweat.

The Thai grocery I go to only has one guy who speaks english but he's always there (I think he's part owner) so it isn't a problem.

my sister gave it to me because she threw out the rest of it when she couldn't take the heat.

Why do these "Asian" stores have whole aisles of Mexican stuff?

If it's too hot, just eat it slower?

>Everyone segregates themselves from social elements that don't make them happy, like homeless people, the ghetto, trailer park trash, and non-english speakers we can't talk to. We don't hate them, they just don't bring us any joy, and we prefer those that do.
hmm, I don't unless they are explicitly unfriendly to me, chores are so boring, if a random person wants to talk shit I'm game

once you start snubbing people who proactively engage you, then it really is pretty much racism at that point (really blatant, too). unless they're just begging for a cigarette. coming from Memphis, I got that alot even in my own front yard.

not deliberately seeking out people you don't mesh with isn't racism, though. it's just common sense to find people you get along with best if you're the one looking.

>instant ramen (the good flavors like kitsune udon, spicy seafood, etc)
>instant curry
>sake
>Japanese whisky
>maccha

ok just done eating it.

thoughts
>needs to be paired with meat to enjoy flavor
>annoying on the lips every time I try to eat it
>spiciness is pretty okay (I am weak to spicy foods)
>unconsciously sweating

pretty okay. I wish I cooked more chicken to pair up with it.

I like it with eggs, toasted sesame and tons of green onion

noted. Now I'm thinking that maybe the sauce and seasoning can be used to cook some spicy wings.

Why not some beans and greens and forget the ramen and have tubers and/or whole grains instead and drown it in hot sauce so it takes a few hours to eat?

That's a good suggestion. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks user

Why is there Asian supermarket in white countries but there's no white supermarket in Asian countries?

Why do you assume that? I haven't been to Asia, but I know there's shops for U.S. food products all over Europe, where most don't eat peanut butter. The one I went to in Madrid had bottles of corn syrup in the window. I'd assume there's places like that in Asia.

Because most Asians are outnumbered by Mexicans or other Latinos and their markets are near their markets so they can possibly get more people in the store if they cast a wider net.

You know, that's not a bad idea

>supermarket
>McDonald’s
Retard.

Sesame oil, doubanjiang, douchi, tienmenjiang, rice wine, rice vinegar, Chinkiang or other black vinegar, tofu in various forms (including the red fermented one for making your own char siu), various SEA herbs, sichuan peppercorns, lime powder (the mineral, not the fruit)

Don't forget to hit the produce section for a bunch of good stuff, and the butcher counter for bones to make stock. Asian markets also tend to sell chickens that are far more flavorful than the ones you'd get at a western market (though they are more costly per lb).

There are, they just suck and are crazy expensive

get a bamboo steamer and get different buns and dumplings from the freezer section. I'm partial to taro and custard buns, and anything with mushroom. it's easy to use and they're delicious. pic related

>Fermented black bean paste.
I have some fermented black beans and fermented broad bean paste left over, any suggestions what to make with these?

I buy my pork belly at one for $2.99/lb. They have cut up pieces in the case but they generally have a number of whole ones that they me look at to choose the best lean to fat ratio.

They are good with just about anything savory. I put the black beans (douchi) in stir-fries, especially with crab or shrimp. Douchi + chili + garlic + garlic chives is god-tier to stir-fry shellfish in.

The doubanjiang (broad bean paste) is good in braised beef dishes, chili (seriously!), and with BBQ. It works surprisingly well in western-style dishes. I even put some in homemade boudin (cajun style) once and that was fantastic. It's also a nice way to spice up a pack of instant ramen.

what did I miss

warosu.org/ck/thread/9498526#p9498604

but what will I do with my spare noodles then?

Viet, Jap and Flip stores i go to all speak english. Even the Mexican stores speak english. Pretty sure its a requirement.

The only way that could be called garum is if it were made from fermented fish intestine specifically. Also, if it has been diluted with water, which any sauce made from fish is nowadays, it would be classified as hydrogarum.

im gonna get sriracha if its cheap, noodles, frozen dumplings/buns if i can find some, sambal oelek, hoisin sauce, maybe douchi.

hopefully there will be non chinese language signs on the shelves. gonna be my first time. im thinkin tomorrow ill go

>stalk
>inedible

You can peel and eat the stalk and it tastes better than the crown.

Sesame Oil
Black Sesame Yuan Xiao (frozen)
Snow Crackers
Thai Basil

These are some of my favorites

I know, but there's a part of the outside that's inedible. I always eat the whole interior.

Sweet basil is always better in any possible application.

I've seen thai basil referenced in some recipes but I always just substituted regular basil because I grow it. How does it differ?

Umeboshi. They're kind of halfway between plums and apricots, dried and pickled to give them an intense, sour taste. De-pit and eat with plain rice, or make a pesto with shiso leaves and put that on pasta

It doesn't taste as good. That's how it differs.

>thai basil
>pak choi
>daikon (make sure to grab the leaves/tops as well)
>lemon grass
>msg
also idk about your area but around here asian supermarkets are the absolute best place to get frozen seafood & shellfish

I always buy the frozen dumplings and steam buns because I don't have time to make them from scratch any more.

>lemongrass
Dad and his wife grew some and thought the blade is what's eaten. I had to educate them.

seaweed "chips" fucking delicious

>Grandma says they've got yellow fever.
Fuck, this made me lauh.

>Dad and his wife
Why did you word it that way?

Because she's not his mother obviously

get a bag of dumplings, look for bags with minimal branding. packaging that is mostly transparent with monochrome labeling usually contain the best dumplings.

Xo sauce. Made from dried seafood, chili and oil. It's a super-strong umami flavour with octopus undertones. I use it like pesto.

Shacha sauce is ground fish and shrimp in oil. Again, use like pesto. Both XO and Shacha will make you fat though.

Is this a traditional thing or are they trying to revive Garum for hipsters ? Looks expensive.

Garam masala, miso paste, dried shiitake mushrooms.

>everyone will treat you like the dumb white bitch you are at heart
By doing what? Kicking your ass? It's not illegal to "be awkward" in a grocery store, whatever the fuck that is. As long as you pay the money nobody will give a shit.

Be prepared to be duped. Go in thinking you'll find great items from China, Vietnam, Philippians and Japan..... just a shit ton of Paki food.

Can you sweat on command on purpose?

>durian
meme """fruit"""

Get real wasabi if you are able to find it

that shit is good

I go to gawk at the little slant eyed Asians while making loud gagging noises and giggling like a big manly man with a large penis.