Will fusion reactors work?

what's the truth on these reactors, will they actually work?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_energy_gain_factor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER#Timeline_and_current_status
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No

Maybe.
Plenty of ideas but no one has yet built one which generates more energy than it takes to run it.
No known reason it's impossible but engineering problems are formidable.

ITER has a good chance of creating positive Q
once someone gets positive Q it'll be a matter of making it more efficient and shrinking it. it's going to take a good bit of time but the end result is way too sweet to pass up

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_energy_gain_factor

also
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER#Timeline_and_current_status
>not going to even have first plasma until 2025

great idea

but a stupid one to continue

More like 2035. These projects are notorious for missing deadlines. Hope i'm still alive the day we create first GW in comercial fusion reactor.

When something gets a pain in the ass of hard to make you know you are not in the right track. We still need a new technology thats the steeping stone so fusion follows naturally

Why don't we just model it based on the Defiant fusion/impulse drive system. It uses a laser initiator.

lasers are doodoo now

Polywell will make these boondoggle tokamaks obsolete by 2025.

My grandfather is old enough to remember the first time the town got electricity and phone lines.
He's 97.
It'll happen user.

Holy fuck how old are you? Normal grandfather age is about 65.

>These projects are notorious for missing deadlines
Reminder that the reason we don't have fusion yet is because it would challenge certain vested interests, so there's basically no funding for it.

He3 + He3 fusion.

Harder to get going and less energy, but no neutrons and direct electricity production.

maybe if you're a third worlder

>If we throw more money at the problem the material science problems will go away!
t.brainlet

Throwing money at things is how most problems like this are solved.

Are you stupid?

>being this much of a shit eating retard
your bait wont get a (You) from me

>if we give people an incentive to pursue materials science/engineering we still won't attract anyone to the field
Thing is that field is so niche these days that nobody is going to bother going into it. We have to invest in that market if we want people to get into it.

>will they actually work?
Not unless we make one the size of a small star.

I mean, we know beyond a doubt that fusion works and releases energy. The only problem is substaining it at for long enough at a high enough energy level to be useful to boil some water and turn a turbine. It would be more ridiculous to think we would just abandon it unless we come up with a more viable cheap energy source first

>Polywell
He still believes Philo T Farnsworth...
>laughing girls in a crowd.gif