I could actually go on holiday to Mars in my lifetime

>I could actually go on holiday to Mars in my lifetime
I grew up watching things like Total Recall in the late 90s, this is nuts. God Bless Musk.

Other urls found in this thread:

www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/microwave_water.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Zcz0eL_bYsI
youtube.com/watch?v=K_XyUUFUj6s
smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/human-activity-changing-space-too-180963369/
bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-42388788
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Antarctic_Territory
youtube.com/watch?v=fSTrmJtHLFU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You've been way too into popsci kiddo. We'll be lucky if we can even still manage low orbit by the end of our lives.

How will spacex acquire the needed 300+ billion to launch a martian expedition?

Well, not really, it's not the same to get an unmanned rocket near mars than to landing it on the surface and then taking off and returning. We are still a long way to go

Somebody who is doing photovolt instead of harvesting hemp and burning it is kinda fucked up.

"ROCKET"

Do you at-least burn that that water inside a tube and accelerate plasma to get better thrust?

Really, get me email to that guy.

I got nothing against Musk's space efforts, but I'm not sure how you equate launching an inert mass out into space and some slick PR cgi with some significant step forward towards vacations on Mars.

www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/microwave_water.html

So you have tube, from some exotic space alloy created to be good thermal isolant, having layers, microwave reflection etc.

You burn hydrogen INSIDE to expand not like explosion, but bullet.

Then you put microwave from solar panel to get more thurst.

Then you accelerate ions by charge too...

With even IR reflection...

You get same expansion from much less fuel, thus you do not need to carry that much propelant... You can get better cargo, etc.

RFC!

Thermo electrics create from heat of already created thurst recuperation that in electricity again can accelerate ions in desired direction faster.

What's with all the ULA shills lately?

>>I could actually go on holiday to Mars in my lifetime
>God Bless Musk.
Weak bait, phoneposter.

>Go on holiday to Mars
It wouldn't be a holiday, the trip would take a minimum of six months, it would be the equivalent of traveling across the Atlantic in the 17th century only with the added risks of radiation exposure, bone and muscle degeneration.

Don't worry, this was planned decades ago by Von Braun. They've got this.

>300 billion
yeah is you're a congressman or ULA employee

>Added risks
No different to scurvy.

With emdrive it only takes a few days. Think of it as a cruise than an airplane ride.

>go on holiday to Mars in my lifetime
Better hope you manage to live until you're 90+ while staying in absolutely perfect health.

The ULA shills are in full force. Do they pay you or do you cucks do it for free?

>EM drive
The EM drive hasn't even ben proven capable of producing thrust at all and even if it does it would be absolutely minuscule so you would be looking at the trip potentially taking years one way.

Mars would actually be great for old people. 1/3 gravity will do wonders for them.

what about Woodwards mach effect thruster?

>I could actually go on holiday to Mars in my lifetime
No.

it would be a great place to spread their ashes after getting fucked in the ass by radiation during the multi month trip

Fear

Because all the Apollo astronauts are dead?

What shields us from cosmic radiation from sun on earth?

>1 week round trip to the moon well within the Earth's magnetosphere
>Same as multi-month trip through interplanetary space without any magnetosphere as protection.
wew
The magnetosphere of the Earth.

>(((Radiation)))
You've been drinking the NASA coolaid. How's the SLS coming along?

Thinking the Apollo "missions" were real: youtube.com/watch?v=Zcz0eL_bYsI

BFR is impossible.

Small inexperienced company with limited funding cannot go anywhere near that level.

The very idea of having Saturn V+STS hybrid and supposedly at lower cost than both is simply ridiculous and anyone with even a drop of common sense would rightly scoff at it.

I wonder who could be behind this post?

>NASA coolaid
Pic related.
>How's the SLS coming along?
Better than your retarded BFR since it, actually, you know, exists and is being worked on.

Cry more Muskrat. Where're all those government contracts for the Falcon Heavy I wonder?

The number is legit and from NASA study. Doubtful it can be done any cheaper. More likely than not it'll cost more.

a very unprofessional opinion

youtube.com/watch?v=K_XyUUFUj6s
Where're all those videos of BFR parts being worked on I wonder? :^)

Never thought of that.

money will not be a problem for SpaceX once starlink is operational. They'll be netting 20 billion a month in pure profit just from starlink subscriptions

Mars? No. Not on holiday. It'll take too long. You might move there if you want.

The moon? Sure, if you like. It'll probably be fairly expensive.

I wonder, will orbital rotating artificial-g hotels be more or less expansive than zero-g hotels? some people will want the zero g experience, but if you're just staying for a night before heading off to Moonbase Alpha then you might want some g

>Launching 4 times the total amount of satellites ever launched.

man 2016 BFS was so much better looking then downsized version

is that a problem? you can stuff a f9 fairing full of them.

Elon's goal is to initially take 10% of the ISP market. That's 70 billion dollars. And they have a solid business case to make if they need to raise money.

It's how they're going to fund the future rockets past BFR.

>wind generator on mars

Satellite internet is known to be much slower than conventional internet. Curb your enthusiasm. Plus they've said that they would launch the satellites in the 2020s while BFR is supposedly going to fly in 3 years.

it will be faster, actually.

- LEO sats are in the grand scheme of things not far away from the ground
- data travels at c in a vacuum. data travels at a fraction of c in cables
- due to the satellite 'hopping' ability, you can basically connect to anywhere else line-of-sight

now sure, some certain situations will still be faster with wired internet. But for the majority of the world, starlink will be the better option. It's going to make spacex billions.

>will orbital rotating artificial-g hotels be more or less expansive than zero-g hotels?
More expensive, I expect. However, I expect that most orbital hotels for recreation purposes will have both centrifugal gravity (at various strengths) and zero-g areas.

Would you want to be stuck spending the whole time in zero-g, or not have it available, when you go on vacation?

true. I also wonder; will there be weight training >1g areas? Like those planets in DBZ

You can do that on Earth if you want. Since nobody does it (I mean exercising in higher gravity, there's gravitrons obviously, and training centrifuges for space programs), I think it's safe to say there's no demand.

You're making some heavy assumptions. Firstly that SX can make sattelite that offers wireless internet that is faster than wired. Secondly that he can make these satellites cost effective. And so on. Musk wasn't the first to propose an internet constellation, he probably won't be the last.

>listening to NASA
it costs those ass dragging retards 200 dollars to buy a hammer
Any price tag they put can be safely disregarded, because it definitely includes their embezzlement

>falling for the military-industrial complex meme

he also fails to recognize that SpaceX has a 12 billion dollar launch backlog

kinda hard to complain when they're cadence-limited

>a business isn't allowed to have a particular customer because I say so
go home

>NASA costs

lmao NASA can't stamp a piece of paper for less than a thousand dollars and you trust their cost analysis?

The difference is that he can launch the satellites at cost, which is fucking low for him. That has always been the barrier to a proper global satellite system.

that and the regulation aspect. FAA wants full coverage guaranteed in five years or whatever. That's 10k sats a year. 200 a week.

also on the cost aspect - now that BO is going to launch oneweb on New Glenn, SpX might not have as big a cost advantage as you might think. Sure, NG might not fly for another three years, but if Bezos' agrees with OneWeb to cover most of the cost with his personal $B's in exchange for a cut of the profits then SpX might be in trouble.

Still, I think BO will have serious teething problems with NG. I'd bet on SpX getting a constellation up first

How do they plan to keep all the satellites up there if they are in LEO rather than geosync? They will need to constantly refuel their thousands of satellites, that sounds expensive as fuck.

find out how cheap it is to go on an arctic expedition.
youd probably need to send your house for that

now factor in the fact that we have had the capacity to go to the arctic for 100 years. The technology is at least 1000 times chepaer. the environment is incredibly more welcoming to life and has much much more profitable things there.

and you expect to be on mars less than 50 years after we first arrive there while its at least 10000 times more expensive and its super hostile to life and has nothing profitable?

dont maek me haha kid

>doesnt know that a wind generator is feasible and has been seriously studied by nasa
damn kid you dont have the right to speak here anymore, you need to go study for at least 2-3 years befor you can speak again

>They will need to constantly refuel their thousands of satellites
they are gonna keep replacing them, thats why having quick reusability is key to their comms effort

Exactly, you’d make the sats cheap. To maintain the fleet you’d need to launch something like 100 a month for the rest of etirnety
Doesn’t matter though, when you can launch a f9 for only a couple million bucks

This seems like a recipe for space debris to me unless they direct them toward Earth and hope they don't hit anything important.

theyll probably get them to be cheap but if you add xenon thrusters to them you can get them to stay in orbit a loong time that will further reduce the costs

actually no, since the point its that they are in the lowest orbit possible, the moment they stop working is literally because they have re entered the atmosphere and are burning up.

Anything under 250km is still slowed down by air particles

actually there are air particles like all the way to around 2000 km, its just gradually less and less, you have to get pretty close to the moon to get a vacuum similar to that of inter planetary space.

the thing is that a 150km orbit may decay in a couple of years while one in 1000 may take centuries

did it hurt when you pulled those numbers out of your ass

>the added risks of radiation exposure, bone and muscle degeneration.
Worth it.People die climbing mountains.

smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/human-activity-changing-space-too-180963369/
here’s hardly anything on Earth that has escaped human influence—from the oceans to the atmosphere. But a new study suggests that human activity is also influencing the space around our planet; this is on top of the space junk already swirling around out there. Very Low Frequency (VLF) broadcasts have created a planetary cocoon, shielding the planet from high energy particle radiation, according to a NASA press release.

>find out how cheap it is to go on an arctic expedition.
>youd probably need to send your house for that
China is already taking care of that
bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-42388788
> What's the price tag? The cheapest options will cost you around $5,000 (£3,750) - that's by boat from Ushuaia so you'll still have a substantial additional air fare just to get to Argentina.

I can save for this trip in a year

Oh, I'm sure once you're there, you're free to explore the place. It's not restrictive at all.

well thats still the result of more than 100 years of exploration to a place that is incredibly more hospitable to life and profitable and you can get there via a much simpler way of transportation.

we havent even set foot on mars yet, so if 100 years after the first expedition its as easy to get there as it is to get to antarctica that would be a best case scenario

The only reason Antartica doesn't have millions of humans on it right now is because of international treaties. Not because it's too hard. None of the major powers want another player that will have access to the immense resources of Antartica.

this.
There are several megafield oil deposits in Antarctica, massive coal deposits, uranium and rare earth deposits.
It is literally a whole continent we can use for mining

Which country do you think actually owns Antarctica?

nah, its because its hard to get there and its literally the least atractive biome.
>There are several megafield oil deposits in Antarctica, massive coal deposits, uranium and rare earth deposits.
thanks for proving my case dipshit, that proves that even tough antractica is super profitable is still under explored.

mars is much much less profitable which makes sense that it will take more to be colonized

Not far off. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Antarctic_Territory

Braun was a director of a center and not head of NASA. Then again why get any facts straight if you talking about Martians...lol

SpaceX developped the WHOLE Falcon architecture (F1,F9, FH, reuse, first dragon) from scratch for 2.5 billion, all the other super heavy launcher programs were at least 10 time more expensive, including the Soviet ones.

The manned mission may cost a shot ton, but the unmanned base building BFR mission and its development is likely to cost

Why do people think every Nazi has explicitly killed a Jew or other lesser being?

So you've surveyed Mars for resources?

moron

>SpaceX developped the WHOLE Falcon architecture (F1,F9, FH, reuse, first dragon) from scratch for 2.5 billion,

bullshit, spacex got more than 10 billion from the crs/crs2/ccdev contracts alone, not to mention billions more in private investments that have been detailed in their SEC filings.

youtube.com/watch?v=fSTrmJtHLFU

yes that was definitely the implication, it wasn't that the whole thing is a dog a pony show and you, the drooling child, clap along

>musk going to mars
why arent you working on a startup to make money off of the colonization? mars will need vehicles, crops, livestock, resource prospecting, etc. a whole planetary economy is waiting to be exploited.

Mars colonization is a meme, you will get some research stations by UN and some countries, maybe one or two domed bases by dedicated volunteers, I can see a pressurized canyon made habitable even in long term future, but mass colonization most likely will never happen.
Future of space colonization is in asteroids and orbital/space habitats. Far less problems, far less investment needed, easier transport and controllable weather/environment.Easy access to resources.
Bezos btw knows this and plays the long game.

>watches the expanse once

The way I see it:
>Mars
Good mentally, 24h 40m patrician day and night cycle
Just dig

>Asteroids
No shitty gravity well
Decent minerals
Terrible mentally
Not that cool

Actually I had the idea about Ceres way before Expanse was even published.
I am 38, and SF fanatic plus very interested in space colonization.
If you read about it long enough you realize space orbitals are the only way for reasonable space colonization.

If we had the same blasé attitude to human lives, the hero worship of explorers and 50-60s levels of funding for the space program it's not unfeasible mars colonisation could have happened in the late 80s or early 90s.

If there was a concentrated effort, and pioneers (and the public) accepted the many, many risks... an scientific outpost or colony could happen in 10 years. Thats a big IF however.

>The magnetosphere of the Earth.
then why do airplane pilots experience significantly greater doses (5-10x) of cosmic radiation by flying at 30,000 feet?

it's because the magnetic field does jack shit to cosmic rays, they are stopped by the atmosphere.

>Mars colonization
lol

>>SpaceX developped the WHOLE Falcon architecture (F1,F9, FH, reuse, first dragon) from scratch for 2.5 billion,
>spacex got more than 10 billion from the crs/crs2/ccdev contracts alone
Not true, and even if it were, those are mostly for services which cost SpaceX money to provide, and they get paid as work is done on them, not up front when the contract is signed.

For COTS they got about $0.5b for development, for CRS it's $1.6b for missions not development, CRS2 money hasn't started to come in and isn't public, CCDev is about $3.2b at maximum but over half of it is for missions, not for development, and the development money is for Crew Dragon (not the "first dragon").

>not to mention billions more in private investments
That's mostly for building their satellite business.

They haven't spent $10 billion on development. They haven't had it to spend.

>things must be perfectly effective or they don't exist at all

don't forget, AF put in some dosh for raptor development too.

But yes, you're right. it's always nice seeing someone understand the value that the govt has gotten out of spx rather than shouting
>muh subsidies

1/ lip balm
2/ knee pads
3/ ????
4/ profit!

We're just concerned citizens.