What will people do in a post scarcity society?

What will people do in a post scarcity society?

The same thing they did in ancient greece, rome and during the renaissance.

Focus on art, science and philosophy. The plebs will just party 24/7.

They'd spend a few years arguing back and forth about "what is art?" and "what is beauty?" and then start exchanging art like currency until they start fighting wars over art.

Invent things. Just because physical materials aren't scarce doesn't mean that there won't be work to do.

Masturbate.

>Focus on art, science and philosophy. The plebs will just party 24/7.

And explain to me again why work should still be a thing? We have the technology to do this now, or at least start the process for it. We should just automate all menial jobs so we can live actual fulfilling lives of partying in our awesome space mansions.

The economy is why its impossible here. Plus finite space. Humanity is heading for a population collapse especially if the climate worsens. Also human need to achieve things in life means some careers will be around still.

Id imagine technology and automation wouldnt be a big part of initial space colonies though. I imagine it would work similar to ancient cultures with individuals giving up a time tithe instead of paying taxes. Skillset would determine the work offered but it would be much simpler to have the fields and similar held in a common trust and then have an overseeing body manage the population.

Alternately you could go full capitalism and the corporate body owning the structure would lease land to individuals or companies.

I imagine the latter would be the case, and a large enough structure could replace all the farmland on earth with pest, disease and chemical free produce grown reliably and regularly in optimum conditions.

Large portions or the earth surface could be dedicated to climate stabilisation.

But I suspect earth is doomed to repeat the same endless cycles of boom and bust. Im not sure space colonisation would help earth at all. The people in space would have a surplus of goods and particularly materials but an agreement would have to be formed not to disrupt earth markets.

You caant just overturn earth society, it has to decide where to go for itself... In my mind I have already left.

>post scarcity
>happening ever

This.
Whenever someone has enough, they don't see it as enough. They just want more.

Make society so advanced it is no longer post scarcity

>Post scarcity
never gonna happen, the concept of an economy is necessary for forcing people with higher aspirations and low ability into jobs they're better suited for like maintenance and service jobs (inb4 robots) it depends on how we decide to use AI

endless war until scarcity is a thing again

Boredom would become public enemy #1. People will keep themselves by either producing content or consuming it. Most jobs will be creative jobs. Only a small minority will focus on actually getting an education and contributing to the advancement of humanity.

The general public will spend their lives plugged into VRMMO capsules that pump them full of nutrient fluid so they never have to log out.

There's something so soothing about that image, and I can't quite tell what it is.

Reproduce until scarcity is an issue again.

kill themselves
humans without hardship invent new hardships
humans out of ideas for new hardships kill themselves

so... just our current age, without the money charade

yeah, our current age without half of humanity living on less than $2 per day, billion kids in poverty and 22,000 of them dying of starvation and disease every day

>humans out of ideas for new hardships kill themselves
What a wish.
In reality, those people simply impose hardships on 'others' in order to live through them vicariously, as they have no other choice.
One is all

hang out at coffee shops all day

duh,

although the staff will be robots

The thing is that the people in control of the equipment and machines capable of creating a post-scarcity society will not part with it. This is true despite the important fact that they themselves had little to no hand in the creation of this technology, and even when they did create it they are merely standing on the shoulders of giants who allowed them to

This ethically necessitates seizing the means of production if there arises a time where these is no good reason for those in charge to continue being in charge. Typically the justification is "we need to allow people to be in charge to create an environment that encourages economic growth" but once we reach post-scarcity economic growth isn't important anymore so we can abandon that in favor of more idealistic ethical concerns like freedom, equality of individuals, and the right to live life well since it is possible to do so