Why do we use soaps?

Why do we use soaps?
Are soaps scientifically the best way to clean your skin? Is there a more natural way of washing the skin? Why can't i just use plain water to wash my skin? Is that not effective enough? Lastly, how many times a week should i wash my skin(take a shower)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8NArIVIQ4BI
planet-science.com/categories/under-11s/chemistry-chaos/2011/06/soap---how-does-it-get-things-clean.aspx
independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/healthy-living/how-often-should-you-be-showering-a6819486.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=8NArIVIQ4BI

planet-science.com/categories/under-11s/chemistry-chaos/2011/06/soap---how-does-it-get-things-clean.aspx
One end of the molecule latches onto oils and the other end grabs water. Oil and water, left to themselves, don't mix. Water alone won't do it.
Soaps also contain wetting agents which lower surface tension and let the solution penetrate small spaces.
Most brands also contain fragrance to cover the stink produced by bacteria which live on you.

independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/healthy-living/how-often-should-you-be-showering-a6819486.html

checked
what's Veeky Forums approved soap brand?

The problem is some of those oils are supposed to stay on your skin.
Hot showers and cheap soap are terrible for your skin.

There's really not much difference.
Soap is soap.
Oh, some contains lanolin or aloe vera or secret ingredient XF-29, but they'll all get you clean.
Soap is cheap to make. Most of the price of a bar is advertising costs.
Buy the basic, a "house brand" or a generic or, if you insist on a "name", Ivory.
The fewer ingredients, the better.

That's why the link to "how often should you shower". The English used to think bathing was bad and they only did it once a year. But, you're right, overdoing it can lead to dry, cracked skin.

How much is too much?

>The English used to think bathing was bad and they only did it once a year
That's a little misleading. They still bathed regularly, just not a full bath. It was usually more like a basin of water and some wash cloths. The dirt crusted reeking peasant with black rotting teeth is a historical meme and not really super accurate.

Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap. You'll smell like a forest fire.

They also dressed in linen which absorbed sweat and sluffed off dead skin. That's why "fresh linen" was a big deal.

Your skin is basically covered in a milieu of disembodied bacterial cell walls dissolved by the lysozyme in your sweat that forms the first layer of your body's defense against pathogens. That shit isn't very water soluble.

The fatty acids in soap help dissolve all of that stuff so you can wash it down the drain or whatever you dirty fucking hippie.

Personally I always thought the roman method was pretty interesting. They would slather themselves in olive oil and then squeegee it off with a small smooth stick. The idea being that oil is oil soluble. Gladiators and athletes would then sell off the stuff they scraped off to people so they could smell like musky alpha males.
The bathouses were more about socializing.

The oil soaked deep into their bodies and embedded itself in their dna, giving rise to the "greaseball Italians".

You're a cantaloupe

Ask the Veeky Forumsgs about this. They know everything about skin care abd dressing like a jackass

>The fatty acids in soap
WHICH FUCKING SOAP BITCH

I, too, utilize this product.

>Is there a more natural way of washing the skin?

castile soap or something? I don't know.

I am interested. Where do I buy this product?

literally micelles

Amazon. Sometimes stores like Whole Foods carry it but usually at a higher price. Now that Amazon owns Whole Foods, maybe the price is similar.

This sounds like it was written by a neckbeard that JUST discovered he smells bad.

>what's Veeky Forums approved soap brand?
Dove moisturizing soap is pretty good. I use the orange scented one myself because it smells so good.

Whatever seasonal soaps that are for sale at TJ Maxx. I love the Christmas and spring varieties.

dirty pleb, sandalwood is the patrician choice