Linguistics

What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on linguistics?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_to_moderation
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>linguistics
not science or math

>linguistics
>not math
thats as math as it gets boi

Idiot

uninstall

delete your account

Thats a lot of different linguine

Bunch of liberal bullshit

t. prescriptivist

are you lost little brainlet? do you need some rope?

>t. false flagging tumblrina

>I'm unfamiliar with linguistics

econometrics (math + economics) and
computational linguistics (CS + linguistics)
are the least shitty social sciences

I'm interested in studying CompLing; is it shit within the context of academia?

Reconstructive linguistics leaves a lot to be desired, but in general the study of relationships between languages and their mechanics is fucking awesome.

aspie stemlords above are just mad that natural language is more complex than mathematical language.

This tbqh

CL fag here. I'm having a blast.

CompLing is a very cool Research area

It involves:
Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Translation, Logic, etc

That honestly sounds fantastic, but why should I delve into CompLing in lieu of CompSci?

Thumbnail looks like a anus

>BROTHER

I've only studied it in passing, but what I did study was pretty neat. I'd like to dig into it more someday.

People tend to write Ling off before lending it any sincere attention. Fascinating stuff.

>linguistics
not science

No idea about it, but my computer science professor literally wants to fuck Noam Chomsky.

And what rational human being wouldn't?

(((Noam Chomsky)))

Behind every great Jew there lies an even greater one.

please see the following replies:

this pic looks like an anus bro

Emoticons ruined it.

lol no

Yiddish from OHG? I'm pretty sure it's considered stemming from MHG.

>Emoticons ruined it.
Emojis ruined it.

Nice option:
A PhD in CompLing or
PhD in Math or CS + MSc in Linguistics
BSc in CS or Math + Minor in Linguistics

Okay option
PhD in Linguistics + MSc in Math or CS
BSc in Linguistics + Minor in Math or CS

Brainlet option
Standalone degree in Linguistics without Programming for Social Justice Warriors Humanities Brainlets

>A PhD in CompLing
I'm seriously considering this. What's your familiarity with the field? Does CompLing possess any intrinsic benefit over an ordinary CS degree?

On the contrary. But it's a totally wasted field, autistically categorizing without doing any expanding. Like, after Chomsky, the field totally decentralized. AI is the only promising application right now.

I usually think of linguistics as a humanities. It's very similar to history, but has a heavy dose of philosophy injected into it.

>It's very similar to history, but has a heavy dose of philosophy injected into it.
That's quite an oversimplification.

Does this pass for "reasoning" in your field?

Does this pass as an argument?

we study almost no historical linguistics in our dept, same is true for most research depts. it's a mix of theoreticians who are studying patterns in language and figuring out how to model them, computational modelers doing parsing and modeling learning, child psychologists, and neuro people.

There is nothing wrong with prescriptivism, and it's a completely separate issue from descriptivism, there is no conflict between the two. Descriptivism is acknowledging how it is, prescriptivism is saying how it should be. You can do both at the same time with no problem.

Why do you always ask this same question? Why don't you just write "New thread", and maybe link the old one?

Genesis 11

THE TOWER OF BABEL

Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. As people moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there. They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.” But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.” So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. That is why it was called Babel—because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

>this is what I'm going to do to the source code for the operating system in the other guy's time machine

Book of Mormon

Ether 1:33
>Which Jared came forth with his brother and their families, with some others and their families, from the great tower, at the time the Lord confounded the language of the people, and swore in his wrath that they should be scattered upon all the face of the earth; and according to the word of the Lord the people were scattered.

Ether 1:34
>And the brother of Jared being a large and mighty man, and a man highly favored of the Lord, Jared, his brother, said unto him: Cry unto the Lord, that he will not confound us that we may not understand our words.

no need to mess up their time machine if they work for me I suppose
>ether

>Mormon

Deeply misunderstood. Most people in this thread seem not to really know what the point of it is. Studying the historical relationships between languages is a very niche segment of it. The major research areas are phonetics, syntax, phonology, and semantics. The goal is to determine the nature of "knowledge of language". In other words, you want to be able to answer the question "what do you know when you know a language?". Hint: you don't know the answer.

This. Like many social sciences, Linguistics is stigmatized and rejected by both STEM and the Humanities as the red-headed stepchild that defies simple classification. Humanities fags hate the math involved whilst STEMfags deny it any legitimacy.

This. If you don't think the people working on Google Translate are hardcode PhD mathematicians, statisticians, and machine learning experts, then you're in for a big shock. It's a serious topic and relegating it to humanities is hilarious

The answer lies somewhere between these two posts

Yeah, I think a block may be in order here.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_to_moderation