SpaceX Launch Thread - PAZ / Starlink Test Satellites

Launch time: 6:16 a.m. PST, or 14:16 UTC.
Press Kit: spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/paz_press_kit_rev.pdf
Payload(s): Paz, a radar satellite for Spain, and two Starlink test satellites, microsat-2a and -2b.

Landing?: No, this is a block 3 booster, and thus it will be disposed of in the ocean. This is the 9th reflight of a Falcon 9 first stage. This particular stage previously flew on the Formosat 5 mission.

Watch LIVE: spacex.com/webcast

Extra bonus: Much like iridium-4, this launch should be especially UFO-like, with a spectacular sky display as the launch is at sunset. Be sure to check LA twitter for morons crashing on the highway.

Other urls found in this thread:

space.stackexchange.com/questions/23715/what-does-the-four-leafed-clover-on-mission-patches-produced-by-spacex-signify
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_satellite_constellation
youtube.com/watch?v=hK_kWN0BsKs
youtu.be/JgY8zNZ35uw
youtube.com/watch?v=T8EFq6bmAJw&feature=youtu.be&a=
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thanks for the heads up, man.

>what the heck is starlink?
It's SpaceX's plan to make billions of dollars, to fund Mars projects. Basically, it will be a constellation of 5000+ small, LEO internet satellites, forming an ISP of sorts in space. Elon's goal is to initially capture 10% of the ISP market (~$70billion).

>oooh that's a lot of sats
Correct, more than the total number of satellites launched into space to date. But, SpaceX can launch them for extremely cheap, while the main starlink competitor (OneWeb) has to wait for the Blue Origin to start flying New Glenn in order to launch theirs for cheap.

>won't it be slow and dumb?
Data travels at .7c in fiber optics. Data travels at c in a vacuum. With the satellite-hopping ability that a LEO constellation like starlink has, latency will be much lower say, Boston to Rome than through a wired connection.

Furthermore, as the network load is distributed across many, many satellites, as long as you don't live in a big city the connection will be plenty fast.

Looking forward to Block 5 in April, hopefully we'll get some testing footage of this core from McGregor soon.

how many microsats can they haul up in one go?

21st lunch

satellite internet sucks dick though

Because the current satellite internet isnt in LEO.

a constellation in LEO would have high bandwidth and lower latency than a ground line

It would actually have faster speeds and lower latency than my verizon fios connection. Though not as good as google fiber if you are lucky to have that.

Why is there a cloverleaf on the launch badge?

space.stackexchange.com/questions/23715/what-does-the-four-leafed-clover-on-mission-patches-produced-by-spacex-signify

What the fuck's up with the ducks?

spacex is full of redditors

Well, the microsats are on the low side of the "Small-sat" class, so say 200kg each.
A FH (reusable) can put ±22,000kg into LEO.
That's 110 StarLink satellites each, if volume allows (which might be why they want the cargo-BFR asap, way more volume).

Current Sat Internet comes from GTO independent radiowave sats, lots of latency and expensive as fuck.
StarLink design calls for Sat-to-Sat laser interlink and Sat-to-ground 24 GHz transmission.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_satellite_constellation

It would only be 20 or so per launch. The sats are vw bug sized

Thus part of the reason for the extended v2 fairing. Adding two sats per launch decreased the number of launches you need by 100 or whatever

>small sat class
>VW bug sized
... something doesn't compute here, are the sats full of empty space? The Curiosity Rover is 900kg, and is roughly the size of a Dodge Caravan (if you compress the Caravan length wise, but widen and heighten it).

depends how compact they want to fold up everything, would need to be more & more elaborate

curiosity is RTG powered, so that can be compact, doesn't need much antennas either

Launch is now on the 21st

Someone on nasaspaceflight had the size of the Starlink sats from an insider, but I can’t find the source

They weigh about 400kg each, so their definitely too big to be microsats or cubsesats but I don't know their actual dimensions; as SpaceX has kept them hidden to avoid the competition getting a peak.

you'd better catch a fairing Steven

HURR CAR IN SPAECE

HURR WE LIVE ON A BALL WITH AIR NEXT TO A VACUUM

HURR THE EARTH IS THICKER ON THE SIDES BECAUSE SHAPED BY MAGICAL FORCE THAT WE CAN'T FEEL

HURR AIR FOLLOWS PERFECTLY AROUND SPHERE COS FRICTION

HURR I TRUST NASA AND RODENT ELON

go away Bezos

Fucking hell you RETARDS. Stop following and start researching you muppets. If you had just done that you would have realised by now that for many of us NASA is a JOKE. In fact they are MAKING FUN OF YOU with ridiculous stuff YOU /WANT TO BELIEVE/... because you haven't done any research.

Go watch the rodent Elon. Go watch his video of CAR IN SPAECE LOL. If you think that shit looks 100% real with the fake audience, fake presenters, fake elon, PRODUCTION not REALITY then you need to go sit in a bucket of icewater BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT REALITY IS OR HOW IT LOOKS LIKE

it's not even good bait, it's really just full on cringetism that will get some (you)'s, sure, but at the end of the day all it accomplishes is making everyone hate Veeky Forums a teeny bit more than they do already.

I swear, half of the shit on this board should be on /x/. Perhaps Sturgeon's law really is true.

they are 0.7*0.7*1.2 folded up

so, 80 per launch assuming whatever dispenser they use is the size of 20 of the sats (seems reasonable). That means 600 launches. Oof.

At-cost, neglecting the satellites, that's around fifteen billion dollars to launch them to begin with

Worth it in the end I suppose. They'd make it back in a year or so.

JEWS RUN THE WORLD TOGETHER WITH THEIR MASON SHABBOS GOYIM. THIS IS SIMPLY FACT AND IF YOU HAVEN'T RESEARCHED AND KNOW IT TO BE FACT THAT DOESN'T CHANGE IT. NOW GO WATCH A SPACE CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE WITH A PYRAMID IN THE LOGO OR GO WATCH ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE MASON SPACE ACTORS.

nigga I can tell you're not that other dude, but nice try trying to blend in with the shitposter.
you gotta CAPITALIZE only CERTAIN words. All caps gave it away.

I AM THAT OTHER GUY YOU IMBECILE. NOT MY FAULT YOUR COGNITIVE DISSONANCE DOESN'T ALLOW CERTAIN THINGS INTO YOUR WELTANSCHAUNG.

Really it boggles the mind. Because they make it so simple. Every mason in the world is able to see that the guys are masons. They don't even hide it. It's all right in your face. All the rings, all the symbols, all the handsigns, all the letters and numbers... it's all in your fucking face. But for some reason you choose to discount it. According to you it means nothing. Nothing fishy here. Open your fucking eyes, it's all a lie. EVERYTHING.

I've heard this flight has the new fairing, and given Elon's comments it's slightly wider than before. I wonder if it's going to look any noticeably different.

There's no vacuum out there called "space". All there is is all-encompassing propaganda. All amateur telescopes see are lights and then you can use some digital CSI-like "enhance" bullshit software to make it look more like what NASA shows you with their fucking CGI. Youv'e been sold a lie, and it's all so fucking obvious because they don't even hide it. In fact they mock you with ridiculous things. They do what the soviets did with their propaganda, they MOCK you.

We'll know pretty soon when it roles out. Wonder if they've added the recovery hardware to both halves. Up until now, only one fairing half had the chutes and thrusters on it, as the other side had the important separation equipment (so they didn't want to mess with it).

I'm not sure if they've added the hardware to both half yet, given they still only have the one catcher ship. I guess it's possible for them to land both halves on the same ship. Should be interesting, especially if they stream the attempt since they're doing it for real this time.

Some of the lights up in the sky aren't even round. Some of them are square... Some of them aren't even square, they have for example an arm...

It's all bullshit.

eh, it's not mentioned in the press kit. I bet they'll keep it quiet until they successfully catch one. Just look at the FH center core hubbub where there was focus on the "failure" of the mission due to the 2/3 landings.

what the fuck are you on about

True enough, the media is shockingly stupid. I bet the video will be amazing when they pull it off. Falling from space and sailing onto a net in the ocean. I heard they aren't going with the steerable parachute idea, or they at least changed the plan somewhat. I'm interested to find out the exact approach.

Stop. Don't engage with the bait. We're having an unprecedented amount of self control so far in the thread, don't break that combo please.

This is one of their techniques. Either they ignore you completely or they bring out their supernegativity or claim you don't understand the physics. Physics that THEY made. That THEY put in universities. Physics that doesn't even make sense...

big objects pull other objects towards themselves... this is the theory of gravity... it's absurd. if it was true then feathers should be pulled sideways next to huge mountain ranges... gravity next to the supposed "thickness" of the earth would be completely out of whack... NOTHING of the kind is observed...

Actually when you really start to research the heliocentric system it just doesn't work. NOTHING works unless you are stupid enough to take (((explanations)))... Theyve filled our heads with lies since birth and every god damn day they put their ridiculous ball in our faces... It's all a LIE

I'm sorry I just had to share what my mental image of a star with arms was

any net experts on Veeky Forums? wonder how quickly they could get one caught fairing onto the deck and re-tension the net. Because I'd imagine they'd just stagger the fairing halves; don't want them bumping into each other when they land on one net

or maybe SpX will have two Mr Stevens, one per half?

wtf is all this bait again?, i thought /pol/ was out

Just imagine you are standing on a ball. There's mass not just below you but angled to the sides of you on both directions... Yet you feel no pull at all from the sides... Even if you start leaning forward you only feel the so-called gravity downwards... This is not consistent with how the force is supposed to work at all. In fact you should feel like you are being held fast in a vice and movement should be difficult... but it's not felt. Only downwards you can feel your weight... It's just a story... They gave you that story when you went to primary school to explain how you wouldnt fall off the ball...

Put a vacuum chamber on top of an air chamber. Connect the two. What happens? All the air from the air chamber goes into the vacuum chamber. This so-called "force of gravity" doesn't do jack shit to keep the air from going in.

It's the same with the so-called ball earth... You CANNOT have a vacuum next to a non-vacuum no matter some mysterious conscious force that is selective in pulling.

and then they claim the earth is supposedly travelling 30 km A SECOND towards the sun and the sun is of course travelling 300 km A SECOND in another direction... Yet gravity has no problems...

Open your eyes... It's just a story.

I think they're still experimenting and they would use two boats when they have the landings right. I heard some financial analysis and theoretically, the boat would more than pay for itself after a single fairing retrieval. May as well just rent two of them at that point, rather than make things harder on themselves.

It is kind of a funny image. It makes me think of some foot long nose jewish man in masonic robes sitting his dark basement, modifying an official nasa image for release by putting in a star that has arms and is flipping off the camera.

SpaceX's fleet is getting pretty big. Two (soon three) drone ships, GO Searcher, GO Quest, Elsbeth iii, Mr Steven, and perhaps Mr Steven II, and maybe Mr Steven (East Coast) I and II.

So now he admits it.

that a jewish man modifies nasa images? oh boy, aren't you a treat

It'll be quite a fleet. I wonder how much more they would really need. They've had the idea of doing hops with the BFR from ship to ship, probably if the government of Texas doesn't let them do test flights over land. That's a real possibility, given they were already banned from dragon v2 hover tests after that development rocket had to be destroyed in flight. I wonder if they would be able to use two of the same type of barge they have now.

He's caught me! Be on the lookout for the next set of images from hubble, where I've added a star dabbing on you from the Andromeda galaxy.

in the FH post launch press conf Elon said that they have the space at Brownsville to do the hop testing though. Maybe something changed

They definitely have the space, but it's going to come down to government approval. With such a large vehicle it might be a hard sell.

Brownsville is already sucking ol' musky's dick due to the infrastructure and jobs SpaceX is bringing in. See: the tax discounts and govt benefits that they're getting for beefing up the roads and laying fiber optics.

It might be easier to get permission than you think

Youre not even funny. Go copy-paste some clouds onto another nasa globe. Don't forget to add the glare so youll be as good as robert simmons.

Jesus Christ, why do SpaceX threads attract all these conspiritards? They are even worse than SpaceX Redditor numales.

This is a pretty cool project, but how do they plan to keep 5000 satellites in orbit if they are not geosynchronous? Are they refueling them or just using them until they drop to Earth and launch replacements?

BFR point to point flights are a total pipe dream. Look at how precise the window has to be for a rocket launch, with so many variables in the weather and atmosphere. There is no way they can launch those whenever they want, which pretty much defeats the whole purpose of it for point to point travel.

>Sorry sir we have had to delay your 1 million dollar flight for that urgent business meeting for up to two weeks depending on weather

Kek. I'm not shitting on BFR though, really hope it all comes together for Mars/Luna.

Hall effect thrusters. And it's not 5k for the whole fleet, it's 12,000 or so. 5k is to start it out.

A whole lotta sats if you ask me. But hey, I'd pay twenty bucks a month to get fast, low latency internet literally anywhere on the world. And so would a billion other people.

If they can really deliver that for 20 a month, they will have essentially captured the entire domestic internet market. That will be a shitload of money holy fuck. I can't wait for all these disgusting telcos to get permanently btfo.

Imagine how dumb one has to be to shit on people who believe conspiracies.

I mean youd basically have to be drooling-saliva tier dumb to think EVERYTHING I LEARN IN SCHOOL AND EVERYTHING I WATCH ON TV IS REAL

I'm not shitting on all conspiracies, many have valid points and reasons behind them. The kind of people attracted to these threads, have neither. I mean for fucks sake the flat earth can be disproved by using basic trigonometry.

it will have broader implications than you think. Sure, you'll be able to play counterstrike in the middle of Alaska with your buddy in Bulgaria, but consider this:

If you live in China, North Korea, or other censored-internet countries, owning a starlink pizza box receiver will be a portal to the capital-I-Internet. The starlink sat's won't care who the hell it's talking to - the internet is internet, so I'll serve it up without a hitch.

This means that if a village in china gets a starlink pizza box, that the whole community (you'll be able to distribute it easy) will have the exact same internet access as some dork in Colorado.

That is, unless SpaceX gives in to government whining and sets up geographic limiters. But Elon's not that kind of guy. What will china do, blow them up? I mean....

Probably owning a pizza box will be cause for firing squads or jail time.

I mean, you could also just rip the software from a receiver and make your own phased array unit that talks to a laptop emulating the pizza box.

But depending on the "uniqueness" and data interpreter key technique that they use, that might be difficult. Still, I think someone somewhere will figure out how to pirate starlink internet. would be quite the shitshow!

Prove it then you whore-son.

How do they configure the payload? They are sending the satellites into orbit and I am curious as to how they configure the 3 satellites inside the fairing.

Also I understand that they want to send thousands of the microSats to orbit to create a solid global satellite internet network. It also makes sense to send as many has possible in as little flights as possible. So my question is how would they configure potentially dozens of these Sats within the fairing.?

Here's nasa mocking you: youtube.com/watch?v=hK_kWN0BsKs

youtu.be/JgY8zNZ35uw

Watch this, all the relevant calculations are there. Feel free to reply if you can dispute any of it, I'll be interested to hear the disputes. There is even three parts in it where you could go and buy a telescope from walmart to disprove the flat earth with your own eyes! But you'll probably just say

>Posting a video lmao I won't watch that

So you can just fuck fuck off right now.

WE R HAVING TOTALLY REAL CONVERSATION GUIS

no one knows, and we will never know. We won't know what BO will do to fit the OneWeb sats in the NG either. It'll all going to be very quiet.

I don't even think they'll have webcasts for starlink sat launches. My dad always says, the moment we don't have unique patches for each rocket launch, the Heinlein era of spacetravel is here. So, if starlink launch #237's press kit lacks a mission patch... I guess we've made it.

If you are on Veeky Forums for real conversations then I hate to break it to you, but you are in the wrong place.

Posting coolhardlogic is just pathetic. That guy has the worst logic of most of the "debunkers". I refuse to watch that trash another time. Your "trigonometry "argument"" has something to do with the map, yeah? So fucking what the map isn't correct, it's still a fucking plane. You would have to really want to believe hard in order to ignore the fails in logic with this dude and the blatant attempts at mind-control using fucking sitcom tricks... Pathetic. Just pathetic.

Ok, enough bullshit today.

Lmao ok bye delusional retard.

Crazy stuff my friend. Amazing time to be alive.

Why so much secrecy surrounding how they will do it?

because it has the potential to make SpaceX the world's('s) wealthiest company. They don't want google/OneWeb or whomever to have the slightest advantage over them. But, potential ≠ reality. Elon is guaranteed to put every single cent of profit back into mars colonization and BFR. That and the ramifications for other ISPs. They're going to lose enormous chunks of market share.

Would you be clanging pots and pans together if YOU were planning to overhaul an entire industry and drive certain companies into assured and complete dissolution? Not to mention the public's stupidity when it comes to everything. Don't underestimate the power of hoards of angry petition-signers stating that SpaceX should not be allowed to launch 15,000 LEO sats due to pollution/endangered turtles/>muh feelings/etc.

Also, there are good reasons why every single other big constellation has failed and lost investors billions (iridium is a freak fluke that should have never happened, although I'm glad it worked out. Got to meet Desch once, he's a cool dude). To leak the smallest bit of information about the launch timeline, revenue predictions, network specs, and other details could be disastrous for regulatory and state security reasons. It's a snooping goldmine; if you can listen in to one sat, you can listen in to *all* of the sats. And I'm not talking about PAN-style rendezvous with GEO birds.

I see. Thank you.

Still, star link bandwidth would be severely reduced during storms, I hope you enjoy your 100 kB/s when you can’t go outside

Dunno, I did some cost estimate and it would have a niche market in military strategic transport, just a Few time more expensive than a C-5 flight but can deliver heavy loads on any military base in less than an hour if there’s an emergency.

But yeah would be hell to organise for civilian transport

ehhh not really. You build in a 7dB margin for the Ku-band ground-to-sat connection and losses will be minimal.
Somewhat related, another issue is that the pizza box needs to have a clear view of much of the sky. So if you live in a big apartment Starlink won't really work for you.

BRING OUT THE GIMP

spacex fleet keeps expanding youtube.com/watch?v=T8EFq6bmAJw&feature=youtu.be&a=