Your favorite CURRENT mathematician

Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

theliberatedmathematician.com/cv/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was either him or Grigori Perelman., but my feels said Tao.

Although is Perelman considered current? Prolly not. Btw Tao has a great wordpress website

I concur

Piper Harron
theliberatedmathematician.com/cv/

Interests: Algebraic number theory, arithmetic statistics, teaching, writing, social justice

The CV of a Liberated Mathematician

New York University, BA cum laude in Romance Languages
survived external and internalized misogyny
survived external and internalized racism

Princeton University, MA in Mathematics
survived external and internalized misogyny
survived external and internalized racism
survived pervasive and internalized cult of genius mythology

Real Life, Single Lady of Arts in Oppression
grew human in own body
gave birth to new human with own body
created milk with own body to sustain new human
survived pregnancy, labor, and infant care related misogyny

Real Life, Mistress of Arts in Self-Liberation
grew, birthed, and created milk for new human with own body
survived thesis writing while being a stay-at-home parent

Princeton University, PhD in Mathematics
Advisor: Manjul Bhargava

Denied Awards and Recognition
Surviving village-less parenthood is its own reward, 2011–
Surviving patriarchy is its own reward, 1980–
Surviving white supremacy is its own reward, 1980–

Current mathematician? Villani hasn't been doing maths for years

Undergrad in Languages --> Masters in math

how?

Is looking like a category 5 asspie a prerequisite for being a famous mathematician?

Nobody cared until he put on the brooch.

Best mathematicians are always French

Bad hair seems to be a prerequisite in any math dept I've seen, so there's that.

Racial quotas / Affirmative action

I think you are misspelling politician

More than any particular point being wrong or debatable, I dislike crap like this for the sheer egocentrism of it.
>grew, birthed, and created milk for new human with own body
*shudder*

my man kontsevich

Dude the spider he wears? Makes him look like the ultimate villain, and hes surname is even Cédric Villani. I don't think its coincidence.

>no one posted him yet

Every mathematician has a spirit animal. What is yours ?

That would have to be a snake since i don't have one. Whats yours?

one of my professors did a BA in Liberal Arts and went on to a Theoretical and Applied Mechanics PhD at Cornell.

>inb4 cs is not math

Undergrad in History with Minor in Linguistics ---> Fields Medal

any mathematician should be satisfied with the monastic ecstasy of pure math

this is an applied mathematician, a scum upon the earth. If no one applied mathematics, and simply continued to do it purely, we would still be living in paradise. Unfortunately those who want power have destroyed the world profaning the pursuit of reality's most sublime truths with their petty greed.

Is this guy incapable of making a normal facial expression?

>fuck multiples of n
nice. Although the fact that you really took the time to tex that is embarassing

Nothing against Tao*, but the people here posting Tao could probably not name 10 mathematicans, so what's the point.

*nothing against him, except for when he talks politics

el atrocidad...

Because unlike Physics and Engineering, Math is that easy.

holy shit I thought you were making up all that stuff just to make a racist anti-lib joke but then I clicked on the link.

Something tells me this woman is not actually very good at maths.

Elitism is cancer, though.

>Engineering

The little pot plant is a cute touch.

Yeah we're getting fucked at both ends on that account.

Did you misspell magician?

>Genius pretenders
A lot the geniuses she probably met at Princeton were certainly not pretenders. If we mean personality wise, I'll also agree with OP
Cedric is just fun to listen to. If we mean favorite based on the actual work that have done that's pretty difficult, there's a lot of excellent work out there. I'd have to give it to Tao for work based on his work in dispersive PDEs and compressive sensing, all things that I'm very interesting in. Bascially, everything he's done in these fields is astounding, his PDE book is the best I've ever seen and he established some amazing results towards both the navier stokes problem, soliton resolution, and understanding heat maps. He basically founded compressive sensing and I think the whole apparatus of it all is pretty amazing, the first time I heard of it, it sounded like black magic. Cedric's work when it comes to PDEs is also great, the idea of using geometry so heavily when studying statistical properties of gases it really profound and his mastery of convexity is second to none, it's more so that Tao just has more variety in his results compared to most mathematicians. I could go on, Figalli and Toscani also did a lot of first rate work, same with Vicol and Buckmaster.

I realize that there might be some miscommunication in my post, when I said "Cedric is just fun to listen to" I meant "Cedric is a lot of fun to listen to"

Why does he wear the spider?

you dont feel when you switch universes through mellin transforms

This makes me feel better about my postgrad options