What purpose does serve depression?

What purpose does serve depression?

unironically kill yourself

Do you even know what unironically means.

It multiplexes several related functions. Chronic cortisol release, nutrient deficiencies, and inflammation leads to cytokine-mediated signalling that reduces firing rates of neurons and changes the neuro-chemistry of the brain to emphasize rest, social isolation, self-critical behaviour, lower libido, body-fat gain, a lower metabolic rate, reduced willingness to exercise, and a higher threshold for excitement in general. Why? Because in our ancestral environment you will have increased inflammation, nutrient deficiencies and chronic cortisol release signal that you done goof'd: either a kin member died, you are sick, or living through times of chronic famine. Thus your self-isolation program kicks in to protect you from further disease vectors at a time of frailty and stopping you from infecting others, from expending energy on dominance displays and sexual endevours during a time of healing, and conserving calorie stores through a reduced metabolic rate etc.

purpose = teleology

This is the opposite of science.

My guess is that it's there to tell you that something isn't right, like pic not being your gf.

how to fix? better diet?

1) You need high intensity stressors, which raise your body's threshold for stress hormone release. Exercise, fasting, sleep deprivation (like once a week or two), cold showers, social confrontations. They put everything in perspective;

2) Removing feelings of helplessness. Having a clear plan of what you are aiming for in the next hour, day, month, year, 10 years and the intermediate steps is important. Eliminating negative social/romantic relations. Avoiding shitty bosses etc. Basically feel like you are in control and set the pace.

3) Good food, hygiene, orderliness, routines, etc.

4) Maybe hormonal problems/food allergies/nutrient deficiencies if everything else fails.

thank you mate

How come a lot of depressed people want to kill themselves?

Why do you think that it should have a purpose?
Most of these diseases are just malfunctions. We're like a machine. We have a natural purpose (reproduction) and we have a bunch of functions that helps us out with it, but like any machine, eventually something goes wrong, so this kind of thing shows up.

Low seratonin levels combined with arousal leads to impulsive behaviour, because seratonin is implicated in regulating the amygdala and processing alternative thought patterns to the one dominant at a given moment. Lots of tryptophan depletion studies in rats on this.

cont. Which makes sense from an evolutionary perspective too, because seratonin levels are highest in those with high social status and well-being, and hence if you are pushed to the bottom of the totem pole either due to social politics or other adversity, it makes sense for you to behave more impulsively to further your self interest (e.g. killing your cheating wife or stabbing a chronic bully) since you have less to lose. Especially for men, since the men at the bottom don't get to reproduce.

To cull the community from weak individuals that would be a drag on the others

To change your life

>nal that you done goof'd: either a kin member died, you are sick, or living through times of chronic famine. Thus your self-isolation program kicks in to protect you from further disease vectors at a time of frailty and stopping you from infecting others, from expending energy on dominance displays and sexual endevours during a time of healing, and conserving calorie stores through a reduced metabolic rate etc.

That's interesting. I'm depressed and anxious, but I workout all the time and have a really clean diet. I have low body fat and get outside enough. I have a 6 figure job too and no issues with sex (when I have a gf). Sometimes I can be "just enough" to get a gf. Every other time I am totally a spaz.

I still suffer from the self-critical thoughts, social isolation, want to lay down all the time (except when exercising). It fucking sucks. I've tried everything.

Meditation and self-help books do not help. I still find myself living in despair where I overanxious every single situation and belief irrationally that everyone is judging me 24/7 as if they go home and contemplate how ugly and useless I am. The worst person alive. It makes no sense to my rational brain, but it's there nonetheless.

Any advice?

It's a defect from lesser hominids. Caucasians, Mongoliods, and Amerindians suffer from it more than others because of Neanderthal admix.

Ashwaghanda, magnesium, and vitamin C. Sounds like you have chronically high cortisol.

How is your work life? Is the work fulfilling? Do you like your boss and your coworkers? If not, that six figure salary isn't helping you any. Work is a huge part of modern life. If it is not at the very least satisfactory, you can despair and feel worthless. If that's your situation, look for a way to get into a less toxic workplace even if you take a paycut.

this is good advice

this is a science board not a psychoanalysis board.

ill look into that, thanks

trips of truth

>2018
>community

dominance hierarchy

This.

Beta monkeys after being defeated by a.new.alpha, go in a state of simil depression.

go fuck yourself, you piece of shit-Veeky Forums-smart-wannabe.
>straightens up, claps his claws and cums serotonin

Have your blood tested by endocrinologist for hormones, vitamins and minerals.

Try microdosing (>0,5g) psilocybin mushrooms for 5 days followed by a two day clean period and repeat. Powerful trips (

*microdosing 5g.

you just have to realize that you are concentrating on things related to you 1000000% more than anyone else will be. and that's totally normal. but most people will not keep thinking about you later unless you're like, really trying to make an impression.