American brainlet here

American brainlet here.

Can anyone see how to compute this integral (standard for high-school students in Magyarország)?

The primitive (in-definite integral) has no closed form, and I do not even see how to show that the integral converges.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_integral#Limits_as_x_approaches_infinity
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Did this one in primary school actually

as did i
>americans

0 :^)

standard in French High-Schools too. Just do a contour integration of the function exp(z^2) around a well-chosen triangle. You should then be able to find your integral and the other one with a cosine.
Those are called Fresnel's integrals

sqrt(pi/2)/2

You do complex integratipn in french hs? I mean, the process isn't hard in itself, but you need to understand calculus and some analisis for it to make sense.

american,
I may have learned them too
we were taught a lot of calculus that I didn't really understand

No we don't. Real integration is mentionned in high school but we only do basic stuff like integrating polynomials on segments. integration by parts and by substitution aren't taught until we start university / classes préparatoires.
I don't think complex integration is taught in prépa, but i know it is taught on the third year of university.

>third year of university
More like third year of elementary school.

Sometimed hs teach kids how to use calculus even if it makes no sense. This seems shit, but if you are already proficient at solving your typical calc problems, uni can consentrate with rigor, proofs and generalizations, something physicists and engineers strugle a lot after in their life.b

It doesn't converge, obviously.

Canadian brainlet here, how important is calculus irl tho?

[math]\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{8}}[/math]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_integral#Limits_as_x_approaches_infinity
>I ain't gonna type the solution in [math]\LaTeX[/math]

It's pretty much the backbone of modern physics and engineering, so kinda important I guess.

can you do this with cauchy residue theorem ?
im too lazy to try that and substitution doesnt work for me

Aka literally irrelevant to everything unless you work in math/science/engineering in which case you already understand basic calculus pretty well

why are you posting about this on a science board? obviously maths is irrelevant to 95% of shitty normie jobs/careers, because they do not require any skills anyway

it's a limit. you know sin(0)=0, so the limit is the face value of the integral. u=x^x, dv=sinu. the original integral = uv - integral of vdu.

Fresnel integrals are the Jeopardy trivia questions of calculus

You'll never, ever need to know how to do one by hand unless you're a math major.

>you don't use math skills when you're doing things completely unrelated to math
I don't use grammar when I'm jerking off, why do schools even bother teaching it?

important but definitely overrated imho.