Would you walk into a teleporter?

Would you walk into a teleporter?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ZcdO5fe8
youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

earth is a teleporter. Read xenos paradox

What movie is that monstrosity from?

Probably not. I don't believe I'm more than the atoms and patterns which make me up.
But I DO believe in the Uncertainly principle and would worry quite a bit about the prospects of being reassembled even "slightly" incorrectly.

I would but I wouldn't volunteer to be the first one

Congrats, you picked the most brainlet course of action possible.

I'll answer that question when you actually make a working teleporter

Would *you* walk out?

Where am "I" going?

In theory, yes.
I'd need to have a lot of confidence in its ability to re-assemble objects accurately at the other end though.

Nope.

no because it kills the original me

Does this teleporter work by folding space in some way or by disassembly?

Hell no unless it's a worm hole then I'd go through. Teleporters are suicide booths on one end and 3d printers on the other end.

>wake up and hop on the teleporter to the bathroom
>suddenly in hell

Hell to the fuck no. The ammount of dissacossiation would make you an entirely different person on the other side.
A wormhole on the other hand...

>not willing to step into a matter transporter
>willing to step into a wormhole

>go to work for the first time since graduating via the Occupational Teleporter (mandatory in all middle class income family homes)
>died and the replacement me has two heads

Teleporters sure are amazing

You go first..

The continuity of consciousness is unprovable, so it’s Like arguing which religion is right, in the end it’a What you believe that matters.

Yes
If it succeeds, I get teleported
If it doesn't, I die
Win-win

>teleporter
probably, if it exists
>suicide box
no

This. You get to commit suicide and no one even knows

Teleporter is function, process is imporant, I would walk into scanner more likely if you have printer, but without being decomposed.

I-can-see-where-this-is-going.jpg

This

Teleporters are a whole can of worms. With a matter transporter you are deconstructed and die, and with a wormhole based one how do you even know you are even in the same universe at the end or some alternate one.

It would just kill you, dumbass.

I'd rather be alive in a (similar enough) alternate universe than dead in this one.

>It would just kill you
Not "me" in any sense I'd consider meaningful.

Can God microwave a burrito so hot that he can't eat it?

Dafuq?

Yes.

Just imagine all the religious outcry this will cause if it is invented

What's this from?

If I can become a gigantic fly then yes

youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ZcdO5fe8

youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc

Does Clem get fucked? I need to know

What if it didn't kill you then? That is to say, instead of vaporizing you in one place and cloning you in another, it just skipped the murdery bits and cloned you in another place. Do you think both of those people would be you in this "meaningful sense?"

Or do you now recognize that you are the consciousness that was in the body that stepped into the teleporter in place A, and that the person that stepped out in place B is a different consciousness in a different body, and thus, a different person, even if they are virtually identical to you?

How is there even a debate about this? Best case scenario, you teleport wherever you want to go instantly, worst case scenario you get to die without making anyone sad

Absolutely. If I "die," then so what? Literally who gives a shit? I certainly won't; either I'll be in Heaven, wherein I am infinitely happier than in life, or I will simply cease to exist, in which case I will be infinitely less sad than in life since I do not exist to comprehend the fact that I do not exist or feel the emotion of sadness that I am no longer alive. Pic related; that is, in the case of no Heaven or God. If there is a God and/or Heaven, then I can tell you I will be infinitely happier up there than down here.
And, of course, that is all also assuming my consciousness DOESN'T continue to the other side and I "die." Who knows? By the time we get to teleporters, we may have already proven quantum immortality, in which case all I've just said is irrelevant because my consciousness will (if it is true) always continue into another timeline, and if it does then it won't make anyone in any timeline sad since in both timelines there will be a "me," only in one there is a perfect clone and in the other there is "me" at the original spot and a perfect clone with my consciousness at the other spot.
And who knows? Maybe this very instant is just one of the clone's memories (that is, I am actually the clone).

Essentially, it comes down to this:
>Does the teleporter "kill" me?
>>No
>>>Obvious WIN
>>Yes
>>>Is quantum immortality true?
>>>>Yes
>>>>>Then my consciousness will go to the timeline where I don't die. WIN
>>>>No
>>>>>Is there a Heaven?
>>>>>>Yes
>>>>>>>Sweet, I'm literally in paradise. See you suckers in 50 years. WIN
>>>>>>No
>>>>>>>Then I do not exist and therefore can neither realize my lack of existence nor have any thoughts or emotions on said lack. I am also free of all suffering. WIN

>Do you think both of those people would be you in this "meaningful sense?"
Yes.

>Or do you now recognize that you are the consciousness that was in the body that stepped into the teleporter in place A, and that the person that stepped out in place B is a different consciousness in a different body, and thus, a different person
No.

Maybe not smart, but wise.

Yeah sure why not. I hate life anyway.

ha ha

"You" would know no more. You2 would wake up. This happens every time YouX transports. By the time YouX has lived a collective 10 years just imagine how many iterations it's gone through. What parts of YouX have been pruned due to "compression?" How long will it take before "You" and YouX are unrecognizable to eachother?

Death is still scary to me.

I am reminded of Pascals wager. Only this is much less silly.

>"You" would know no more. You2 would wake up.
They're the same person.

>What parts of YouX have been pruned due to "compression?
None:
>I'd need to have a lot of confidence in its ability to re-assemble objects accurately at the other end though.

>How long will it take before "You" and YouX are unrecognizable to eachother?
Exactly the same amount of time as it would take with a "wormhole" style transporter.
People now aren't the same as they were in the past, and they'll be different in the future too. That's part of life.

I don't care if it kills and clones me.

Every time you go into REM sleep it’s exactly the same as deconstruction-construction.

>but I feel like yesterday’s me
yeah, memories bro

Yes, because my body is destroyed and reconstructed from zero every night. Oh wait, it isn't. It's the same body I had that changes very gradually over time.

well then go ahead, kys right now

Yes. Not only do I get the sweet release of death, but I also get a clone to make me not feel guilty of effecting others around me.

Teleporter yes, transporter no.