An Actual Debate in Climate Science

The Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (AMOC) is a system of currents in the Atlantic Ocean, characterized by a northward flow of warm, salty water in the upper layers of the Atlantic, including the Gulf Stream, and a southward flow of colder, deep waters that are part of the Thermohaline circulation. The AMOC is an important component of the Earth’s climate system.

Some autists are claiming that current climate models do not accurately model AMOC. They argue that large scale injections of freshwater (for instance, melting of greenland's ice sheets) may force a corrupt collapse of AMOC.

Are they right? What are the implications if AMOC collapses?

>inb4 /pol/ if you fucks shit up this thread you're all getting free helicopter rides

Other urls found in this thread:

advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/1/e1601666
nature.com/articles/ngeo1890
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277379102000781
nature.com/articles/nature03905
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025322717302700
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>climate models

An understandable response. Obviously climate modeling would seem like black magic to someone that struggled in their college algebra course

In my train of thought, Greenland melting wouldn't do much.
Greenland melting in a year, would be like trying to stop the Jetstream with all our nukes. You might stop it for a while, but the thermocline forces (sun heating at the equator, cooler water at the poles) that created the AMOC initially would restart it eventually, salt levels be damned.

As for what happens if/when it shuts down, we'll the north gets cold, the Caribbean gets hot.

>Are they right?
They have seventeen thousand different models to ensure that, texas sharpshooter style, they will always be right. So yes, they are right.

>what are the implications
Europe is going to fucking freeze dude. Global warming is gonna get so hot that europe is going to freeze, don't you listen to the climate scientists. 99% of them agree on this.

>Obviously climate modeling would seem like black magic to someone that struggled in their college algebra course
What do you mean?

If english is not your stronghold, then maybe this board is not for you.

>An Actual Debate
Lrn2debate fgt pls

There's a reason it's called "climate change" you fucking sperg. Because while the global average temperature will rise, there will be local exceptions and variations.

>calls it bait
>responds

i thought the AMOC disruption was decided to be not a huge threat like ten years ago?

>fgt
Why the homophobia?

scientific understanding of anything can change drastically in 10 years with more computing power and new empirical research

>If english is not your stronghold
What do you mean?

me tarzan, you jane

Because homosexuals are the bane of Gods existence and should be strangled to death on sight.

whom'st've are you quoting?

There is some evidence that climate models may be overestimating AMOC stability by wrong small-scale mixing parameterization and an incorrect Atlantic salt budget
see
>advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/1/e1601666

There is plenty of evidence of AMOC collapse in the paleoclimate archives. The most salient examples are the Dansgaard-Oeschger events and the Younger Dryas climate events, which were all associated with an interhemispheric "seesawing" of warming. However, those examples come from a much colder glacial climate state, so they may not directly translate into the modern world.

Are there examples of AMOC collapse in a warmer world? The most immediate paleo-analogue may be the last interglacial ("Eemian") 120,000 years ago, which was marginally warmer than modern times. Far-field sea level reconstructions suggest a very rapid sea level rise late in the Eemian towards a highstand of +9 meters above the present sea level. See
>nature.com/articles/ngeo1890

Both Greenland ice cores and North Atlantic ocean sediments document a rapid cooling event at the same time. See
>sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277379102000781

Lake sediments from Central Europe point towards a pronounced aridity pulse. See
>nature.com/articles/nature03905

There is even geologic evidence of significantly intensified storm activity in the subtropics. See
>sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025322717302700

This is internally consistent with an orbitally induced collapse of ice sheets, an ensuing freshwater forcing and subsequent collapse of overturning in the ocean.

WHY IS IT 70 DEGREES IN FEBRUARY FOR THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW Veeky Forums AAAAAAA

Same implications for every other mass climate shift in the last eon, lots will die and some will survive and evolution will run its course

The actual question is who the fuck in their right mind cares?

We are all going to die give money.
t.social scientist

>he doesn’t like seasonal weather
t. subtropical shitter

>8784 [Reply]▶
>The Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (AMOC) is a system of currents in the Atla

Not realising the earth is flat
user,,,

Hey guys. Remember that recordbreaking cold winter in the US northeast? Ye, the NOAA doesnt remember it.

watts please leave

>trying to educate a baiting 16 year old

Might as well

>no snowy February weather to cuddle my qt3.14 gf in
>no snow days from uni
>hot coco feels weird when its warm and sunny outside
>winter blanket makes me too warm at night
>no quiet crunch of the fresh snow when I take my early morning walk

If you can't enjoy winter you don't deserve summer.

>live beside pretty big star
>expect not to heat up
Brainlets

Yeah, kill the messenger because that actual data shows what crap the NOAA is spewing out.

>The large-scale data doesn't agree with my personal experience, and is therefore wrong.
Really?