SpaceX Falcon 9 Launch - PAZ Mission

Launch begins at 9:17AM Eastern US, about 50 minutes from now. No booster recovery this time.

In addition to launching the PAZ radar observation satellite, two test satellites for SpaceX's satellite-based broadband internet service "Starlink" will be launched.
Starlink discussion here: youtube.com/watch?v=-p-PToD2URA

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=7lTOnPc9h-c
twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/965999852831363072
popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/a25493/magnetic-shield-mars-atmosphere/
youtu.be/XZ-7nNw-04Q
instagram.com/p/BfgHKDNAplx/
twitter.com/elonmusk/status/966692641533390848
twitter.com/elonmusk/status/966703261699854336
nbcnews.com/think/opinion/patriarchal-race-colonize-mars-just-another-example-male-entitlement-ncna849681
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They are doing fairing recovery with this launch

Is the rocket landing on the ship or not? That's literally all I care about. Please let me know so I can clap and fire my Smith & Wesson into the air

Thread theme: m.youtube.com/watch?v=7lTOnPc9h-c

No, but as mentioned they are going to attempt to recover the fairing using their boat with a big net on it.

It's worth mentioning this is the first launch with an updated fairing design.

twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/965999852831363072

>2018
>still putting "tires" on the sides of a ship

Is there really no better design?

/aco/ reporting in

It's simple, cheap, and recycles old tires. Why change it?

they're cheap and effective

Terra forming Mars is impossible due to lack of magnetic field.

Even if you pump breathable air in Mars Atmosphere. It would be readily stripped away by solar winds, due lack of protective magnetic field and low gravity.

In hundreds of years probably.
popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/a25493/magnetic-shield-mars-atmosphere/

youtu.be/XZ-7nNw-04Q
>3:20+
>"reusability is a dream"
>"no geo capability"
>"launch limited"
>t. richard bowles arianspace aka the guy who was so btfo by nightmares he was replaced few days after the FH launch

Excellent (not so) old video. Puts things into perspective.

>It would be readily stripped away by solar winds

Rapidly meaning over thousands of years

Just like all these people who were saying electric cars are not the way of future.

Fuck. Scrubbed due to wind.

>8m left

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUU

24 hour delay

see you boys tomorrow

So, trying again tomorrow at 9:17am?

Yes, Feb 22 9:17AM Eastern US

Wut

One hour until launch.

Stream Starting

Those tunes would fit well in a X4 strategy game

Neat, they kept the countdown net.

Daily reminder that you can switch camera to the non-babby stream

Did someone say lunch? I'm hungry.

instagram.com/p/BfgHKDNAplx/

>Going to try to catch the giant fairing (nosecone) of Falcon 9 as it falls back from space at about eight times the speed of sound. It has onboard thrusters and a guidance system to bring it through the atmosphere intact, then releases a parafoil and our ship with basically a giant catcher’s mitt welded on tries to catch it.

That's a nice boat.

Oooh they just shown picture of their test sats

brainlet here

will they try to land the rocket parts like the last time ?

when is pozzed launching?

Not this time, it's an older model that's already flown once.

2 minutes

omg and i discovered this on youtube drunk on accident, hope it doesnt blow

The cheers get so more quiet each time

I was going to post that. Hivemind blocked by image duplicate filter.

SpaceX fans are size queens.
Now that they've gotten a taste of Heavy they can't get too excited about F9s anymore.

>there will be a time when no one cheers

>there will be a time when no one cheers for the rocket that sends you anywhere on earth in 1 hour

That's why I always clap when the plane landed.

kino

>I CLAAAAAAAPED!

>no camera on the fairing or the ship
What a let down.

mother fucker i'm late

You didn't miss anything except some cool views of the stage 1 engine plumes changing colors.

I went as smoothly as a scott manley ksp launch

it*

Perfect mission!

Another nail in the coffin of the Russian space industry, which failed to launch PAZ a few years ago on Dnepr, thanks to the Ukraine conflict grounding all Ukrainian-made vehicles.

Well, at least I got to see the big one go up.

Apparently they're going to try to recover the booster from HispaSat after all.

Next big'un is in June iirc.

Are those zipties? Those looks extremely ghetto, but I guess that's expected for prototypes.

They are made as cheaply as possible since there will be 12000 of them.

I don’t think those are zip ties.

Seems like the pic in the Starlink discussion OP was correct; they’ll be able to fit 40 in a f9 fairing

I can't fucking wait.

twitter.com/elonmusk/status/966692641533390848

SPACEX BTFO FAIRING REUSE IS IMPOSSIBLE TAXPAYER DOLLARS WASTED UHHHHHOHOHOHOHUHUHUHU

but really that's pretty good for a first try

yoooooooooooo

poor stage 2 team, they'll be the only ones throwing away hardware once fairing recovery is nailed down. F9 will be 80% reusable! And with block 5, they won't have to take the legs on and off too.

Have they just given up on second stage recovery now?

Would it be possible to refurb some of those extra stage 1 engines to re-use on stage 2? I know at least they would need to make a new bell, but they are the same basic design, right?

Starlink sat deployment.

twitter.com/elonmusk/status/966703261699854336

tell me whats the point of all these launches
i'm pretty sure they could just buy a supercomputer of price of a single rocket and use it to simulate flights instead of wasting resources and gaining nothing

no, they're quite different. S2 has an mvac: merlin, vacuum type. Incompatible with atmosphere merlins (on stage 1)

They can probably just hop in, clamp a motor to the back, and pilot the whole thing back to port.

the point of this launch is to put a Spanish radar satellite into orbit you ignoramus

>hughesnet executives begin to sweat

heh, imagine if that was a built in feature...

Yes
I guess the bottom line is that they lose less money when the get rid of old F9 designs. They aim to produce one Merlin every day.

we're just replacing one ISP with another and this time there's even LESS competition in the market

>you will never get to drive the F9 transporter truck thingy

Looks like they're attempting a landing for their next launch, a GTO heavy satellite.

>hughesnet
i get goddamn postcard ads from them in the middle of a city with charter & att, how fed up do you have to be with them to go with satellite internet

6092 kg.... that'll be one hot landing

I had it before anything faster than dial-up was available in my rural area. It is fucking terrible and so bad I purposely defaulted on the contract and didn't pay them the default money states that they couldn't live up tot he services they promised. I haven't heard from them since.

>June
so december of '19

Sad! Many such cases!

Better fund Mars colonization than land in Cali and New York.

what's that tumbling thing off to the right? piece of ice?

Water.

nbcnews.com/think/opinion/patriarchal-race-colonize-mars-just-another-example-male-entitlement-ncna849681

ahhhahhhahahahahaahhahahah.

>The desire to colonize — to have unquestioned, unchallenged and automatic access to something, to any type of body, and to use it at will — is a patriarchal one.

>It is the same instinctual and cultural force that teaches men that everything — and everyone — in their line of vision is theirs for the taking. You know, just like walking up to a woman and grabbing her by the pussy. It’s there, so just grab it because you can.

> The raping and pillaging of the Earth, and the environmental chaos that doing so has unleashed, are integral to the process of colonization. And the connection of the treatment of Mother Earth to women is more than symbolic: Study after study has shown that climate change globally affects women more than men.

> “Women in developing countries are particularly vulnerable to climate change because they are highly dependent on local natural resources for their livelihood,” a 2013 United Nations report noted. “Women charged with securing water, food and fuel for cooking and heating face the greatest challenges. Women experience unequal access to resources and decision-making processes, with limited mobility in rural areas.”

Anywhere i can read up on the changes for Block 5? Like the legs?

This is by far the dumbest post on Veeky Forums today, so at least you have accomplished something with your life

Boldly going where the communist went ~100 years ago.

there's no official source, just a collection of small details that have been announced over the years.

-bolted octaweb
-new heat shielding on inconel mountings
-titanium waffles on all cores
-retractable landing legs
-man-rated Merlin 1D w/ +10% thrust
-new COPV?
-new paint job (black interstage).
-fairing 2.0 (wider, lighter, more recovery hardware
-a number of smaller changes to improve reusability and reliability (100+)

The article raises good points.

Back to /pol/.

no it doesn't you moron, it borders on satirical. The author is mentally ill.

I refuse the believe this is real.....

gotta get those free clicks somehow

Don't they know that SpaceX's CEO is a woman? Elon may be the vision, drive and money behind the mars colonisation project but Gwynne Shotwell is the one actually running the company on a day to day basis.

but she's white

the author is just a typical liberal, this has been the liberal agenda for 100 years now

so I guess they missed catching it?

By a few hundred meters, yeah. Seems like they've got a shot of getting it next time though

>nbcnews

What a bunch of retarded blogshit.

It is funny that we get to see a time where The Onion's articles are no longer satire enough to compete with reality.