Scientific gut feelings

So it's obvious our conscious minds are limited. We only have access to a fraction of the information that's swirling around our brain at any given time. What our brains know and process goes far beyond what even the most advanced computers can process, however our consciousness is spared the onslaught of all this processing and information by a filter.

However.

However, there are ways in which certain types of information are reflected through different senses and mindstates. One way is the "gut feeling". In the scientific world of course, this method of reasoning is unacceptable, but is it really?

Our brain "knows" more than we can consciously access, and certain concepts, phenomena and informational networks can be and ARE projected in more ways than one. In the scientific world, there is a great and necessary need to accurately and precisely reason one's arguments, to pour it into a certain academic format.

But if someone knowledgeable has an instinctive idea, or theory, that could potentially be based on a wide array of knowledge they possess. Of course, it's impossible to formulate a hypothesis or theory based on this, but it's too easily dismissed by most. A gut feeling can be an excellent starting point FOR research, and even though it can't always be validated in academic ways, it's often too easily dismissed.

Discuss.

Pic unrelated but maybe remotely related.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20206576
frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnhum.2010.00224/full
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have thought about my brain and think it works better without me drinking any alcohol. Then the memory seem to forget much but altleast some of the information I learn stick in the memory. Then if I study a day and repeat many times. The amount of quality knowledge and solution skills from school should add up in the memory, even though some is lost from the memory. Then trying to focus all concentration on education and leaving other stuff aside. Thinking its like a scientific North korea, should also get me smarter and get results in my studies. What I mean with North korea allegoration is taking away stuff you do just for fun and replacing it with studying which is something important. I know that in North korea they do only important stuff and they dont have all these fun stuff we have, they also fail on their important stuff because of the politics of the dictatorship. Even though my strategy to take away fun stuff and replacing it with studies makes me think of Nort korea. Then I still think it is worth to pursue this method of being intelligent and it must be the same method that all the great scientists use. Einsten said himself he wasnt smarter just stayed with problems longer.

makes perfect sense

there is literal gut feeling, as the enteric nervous system in humans consists of some 500 million neurons. The ENS is also called the second brain. The heart has 40000 neurons and a whole network of neurotransmitters. Helps explain why people start exhibiting traits of donors they have received a heart transplant from. So yes, I think that the gut does release chemicals to generate feelings and sensations we would refer to as intuition, based on its internal computation, letting you know and poking you in the direction in which you shall proceed, subconsciously. the brain, gut and heart are contributing to our intelligence, so they should all be given equal consideration.

I've thought of experimenting with mind games under the influences of drugs, but I've never had the will to do it. I have no problems with taking substances because I feel like they could help me look at problems from different angles, but I'm worried about the long term affects. I have never taken any drugs (other than prescription and caffeine).

Yeah gut intuition is like a natural ultimate calculator. You feed in a bunch of info and if it turns your gut upside down there's something wrong. Sometimes I feel like I may not be extremely smart but my gut is one part of me that's never wrong. It definitely sounds stupid but it really seems like other people must have leaky guts or some shit because the shit people do with real prior intention is often shit my gut is telling me to stay the fuck away from

well psychedelics are great for creative problem solving with long term benefits for mind and being. what kind of mind games were you thinking of?

Memorization or speed reading. If those count as "mind games". They sound intriguing under a new state of mind.

>So it's obvious our conscious minds are limited

I agree, the subconscious mind is vastly more powerful than the conscious mind.

>Thus, of the unlimited information available from the environment, only about 10^10 bits/sec are deposited in the retina. Because of a limited number of axons in the optic nerves (approximately 1 million axons in each) only ∼6 x 10^6 bits/sec leave the retina and only 10^4 make it to layer IV of V1 [22,23]. These data clearly leave the impression that visual cortex receives an impoverished representation of the world, a subject of more than passing interest to those interested in the processing of visual information [24]. Parenthetically, it should be noted that estimates of the bandwidth of conscious awareness itself (i.e. what we ‘see’) are in the range of 100 bits/sec or less [22,23].

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20206576

cant say ive tried. sounds like something for amphetamines! not for me tho.

Sorry for kind of replying to your image instead of your written post (I read the whole thread though) but there is something to that image. While on LSD I was exploring the meaning of life, morality, limits of human emotions and proofs of human existence. Now call me a retarded druggie but i think that with LSD I would storm through any type of math, only i didn't get to test it. Don't know when is the next time i'll be taking it (or will i ever) but i believe it can affect brain in a beneficial way when used carefully and in small doses.

That is part of the reason I selected it.

>with LSD I would storm through any type of math

Basically our brains ARE supercomputers that make millions of calculations per second (think of the mathematical equations it takes for a baseball batter to hit a ball, for a brain to calculate the trajectory of the ball in motion relative to the angles of muscles employed and force needing to be exerted for contact).

LSD routs this kind of processing directly through the visual centre, giving you conscious access to shit that's usually filtered out or it would overwhelm us (which is exactly what LSD tends to do.)

>[...]and a greatly expanded primary visual cortex (V1) functional connectivity profile correlated strongly with ratings of visual hallucinations, implying that intrinsic brain activity exerts greater influence on visual processing in the psychedelic state, thereby defining its hallucinatory quality.

>shit that's usually filtered out or it would overwhelm us
sometimes i wonder if quite autistic people are just perceiving really deeply and have basically no ego to become order from the information flow, but oh so conscious...

Bingo.

frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnhum.2010.00224/full

In my personal experience, my gut feelings are much more powerful than the limited theorising I can do.

At age 20 I made a video game by myself. It sold over 2.4 million copies. Before that I made several games that each won multiple awards ( I was in my teens, much younger than the other finalists).

After becoming rich I started to hire people in an attempt to build a full game dev company. I hired very, VERY intelligent people. Much more articulate than myself, and infinitely more skilled in their respective fields.

Whilst discussing game design with them, I noticed it was incredibly hard to justify my decisions. I would often "bottom out" in my reasoning and be forced to admit I was going with my gut.

This was hugely embarrassing, it felt like I threw in the towel and abandoned reason/logic. I was confused and lost all of my confidence. I decided to test myself. I would note all of my "gut" feelings in a spread sheet, while allowing my team to go with their "logical" decisions. I also noted down my predicted outcomes of the teams decisions.

As you could imagine, ignoring my gut lead to a series of huge financial losses (over $200k lost ). After seeing the accuracy of my predictions I regained my confidence and the respect of my team, as I was able to say "told you so".

It was painful to lose the money, but more than worth it for the regained confidence.

End of useless anecdote that proves nothing.

Toby?

ello jerri

no they are quite ill and retarded. gut health effects brain health. all tards have very poor gut health.

but also anxiety causes massive gut problems. maybe it is the anxiety and lack of calm which is driving the effects rather than an innate rekt gut.
and a big cause of anxiety is overstimulation especially in autism, which compliments the idea of being constantly overwhelmed due to lack of structure/boundaries

Yes. By getting knocked the fuck out and becoming a savant as a consequence.

See: Jason Padgett

What if the anxiety is caused by the gut?

This is an interesting conundrum that touches on James' theory of perception.

>The basic premise of the theory is that physiological arousal instigates the experience of emotion.[1] Instead of feeling an emotion and subsequent physiological (bodily) response, the theory proposes that the physiological change is primary, and emotion is then experienced when the brain reacts to the information received via the body's nervous system.

So basically when you stumble upon a bear in the forest, you don't feel fear, but your body has a fear response. Then your brain interprets how your body feels AS fear, but it doesn't always have to based on unique factors, conditioning, etc. But in 99% of people in 99% of cases it will be interpreted as such.

Anxiety disorders, depression, autism, ADHD, all of these involve gut problems in a significant amount of sufferers. Now, the stomach is littered with serotonin receptors and the serotonin system is central in most of these disorders (deregulation of regular information streams/filtering).

So, is gut problems a symptom, or does it itself because of serotonergic deregulation give rise to secondary symptoms of anxiety in all these conditions?

good question, i would say it is a mix of both. also how much is caused by terrible artificial diet (not the cause of autism or anything but in some cases of generalised anxiety and poor gut)