What's the deal with linear algebra?

What's the deal with linear algebra?
I'm in Calculus II right now, so I haven't taken it, Calc III, or Diff Eq, but I've heard that linear algebra is notoriously difficult. I've started self-teaching it and it really doesn't seem that bad.
Non-linear algebra I could understand. Vector Calculus I could understand. But it seems like this is the most entry-level course in thinking about space as something that can be manipulated.
Hell, we did the basics of vectors in high school math. This stuff seems like it just expands on it a little plus some spatial reasoning. What's the big deal?

>but I've heard that linear algebra is notoriously difficult.
Stop talking to brainlets.

Among high schoolers and early college people
Everyone warned me when I was in middle and high school to "just wait til you get to Calculus! yeesh" but its my favorite one so far. conceptually it makes remarkable sense and the numerical side is easy enough. Now that I'm in calc, everyone tells me "just wait til you get to (diff eq or linear algebra)! yeesh"
Is this repeating itself

>linear algebra
>difficult

maybe they just have a hard time conceptually? the calculations are literal elementary tier. but how could changing a plane be that revolutionary a concept?

There's no deal with linear algebra. It's a normal level of difficulty for a math class. It's about as hard as algebra was or calculus was when you tried that. I'm average intelligence and I skipped the class for the entire semester except for tests and got a C+.

What classes are notorious for being exceptionally difficult, just on material alone?

>but I've heard that linear algebra is notoriously difficult
No.

no class is difficult on material alone (unless you're a brainlet), what makes a class difficult is heavy coursework, teachers who do tough problems in the exam compared to the ones you do in class, or teachers that teach you something you're not prepared for.

You're probably an engineer so you're gonna have an easy time in linear algebra but if you took an actual class like (some) math students where you have to do calculations and also be able to write serious proofs and derivations it would be overwhelming for a non math major because of lack of time and not as good preparation

I'm going into physics at the moment, so I'll be taking lots of "actual classes" lol but i see what youre saying. im minoring in math so i wont do quite as much as a math major but ill definitely be all in those proofs

It's the first class where you will learn how to generalize familiar concepts and identify the necesarry conditions to prove shit in general. That is, you will develop a notion of "linearity" libear space that will apply to many spaces you never thought of as some kind of space with a structure, so some abstract shits will not be reduced to draw a vector on 3D, in particular when talking about linear transformations, and their classifications and the difference between a lintransf and a matrix representing it. So you may have a hard time imagining how to solve problems in abstract (which is also true if you have no notion of what a proof is and more set-theoretical definitions of different concepts). This or you will have shit classes where you learn to compute stupid shit that a computer can do for you much faster and will end up wasting your time a suffering in higher level courses (which doesn't mean you shouldn't compute shit in the proper course but you should divide your time wisely.

Linear algebra wrecked me after a few years off from A's in calc2,3 diffeq. Matricies have their own algebra rules completely diff to the vanilla stuff in aforementioned classes. Study your ass off, dont make my mistake.

Made a C in cal1, then took linalg and made an A. Took cal2 ans made a D then took ODE and made an A. linalg and ODE are brainlet tier if you put forth even an ounce of effort. Taking PDE now and am on track to make an A.

The literal reason why linear algebra is taught is because linear problems are simple ans easy to solve.

>I've heard that linear algebra is notoriously difficult.
Linear algebra is ridiculously awesome and so widely applicable it will blow your mind for most of your life.

Unfortunately it's become such an abstract subject that learning it in school is extremely unmotivated by good and interesting examples. So you spend a long time learning names for things you don't understand why, doing algebra on things you don't understand why, deriving things you don't understand why, etc.

It's not hard at all in terms of rote mechanics of it. What makes it hard is it takes a while to get to the point where you use it for really interesting things.

linear algebra is both really easy and really useful and cool. you'll do fine

Most people say it's hard because they're not used to set theory and proofs. As long as you're OK with a definition theorem proof style of argument, you'll be fine.

I was in the same boat, math was pretty boring until calc. Its too bad because i'm in Diff Eq and its been like making an integration table for ODE's and doing some other work. Its not hard its just memorizing.
Calc 3 is the most interesting class of calc 1-3, cherish it.

What's the difference between linear algebra and regular algebra? The vast majority of algebra instruction involves linear calculations.

Linear Algebra is considered (among the math majors at my university) more difficult because it’s the first proof-based class most of them take, and they have no experience in writing proofs or thinking about them correctly. None of them actually think it’s difficult, though.

highschoolers get off my board
reeeeeeeee