Math wizards of Veeky Forums, help a brainlet out?

Math wizards of Veeky Forums, help a brainlet out?

Good news: I got into my dream PhD programs with funding.

Bad news: to do well I need to be mathematically mature, but I don't know how to prove my way out of a wet paper bag and the highest math courses I've taken are basic probability and linear algebra. I'm afraid of showing up for the fall term and not being able to follow the math behind gradient descent. I studied computer science as an undergrad, but unfortunately the curriculum was very light on math.

Good news: I quit my job so I have ~6 months before I start the program to become mathematically mature.

So, my question: what's the best way to become conversant in math and stats at an advanced undergrad/fresh grad student level? My area (computational linguistics) uses a lot of stats and, in some places, algebras. I know the answer must inevitably be "choose a book and work on the problems", but I suppose I'm wondering if you have recommendations in particular for a book that can help people who don't know how to write proofs.

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I studied computer science as an undergrad

I am so sorry.

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Proofs_and_Mathematical_Reasoning

Just study a bit everyday and do the tasks sooner than later so that you are left with real free time.

ive never heard of anyone getting below 130 on this test

CS is the best for jobs which is why you go to university in the first place.

What test is this?

lmao gotta get that money amirite?

He's intelligent so he could easily find an Asian woman who values intelligence and hard work.

>asian harpy that values his money
FTFY

I suggested Asian women because they don't value money in the same way. They'd be happier with someone who can keep up with them intellectually because flashy shit isnt prevalent in their culture.

I enjoy seeing pictures of weird girls (aka girls that other people think of as "ugly") and imagine how happy I'd be if I had at least a girlfriend like that. I don't even care about looks. I just wanted someone to share intimacy with (not just the guy-guy intimacy you have with a male bro).
But everyone sucks, including myself. So I'll die alone like the first picture. Fuck me too.

What a qt

I prefer to die alone than share a relation (and ugly children) with such an ugly chink desu

You just want the outside. You don't care about the relationship itself.
You're just as shallow as anyone else.

Chinks don't have "inside" user, what's the point if they are also ugly?

Chinese women are god tier wives
>Can cook great food
>Clean
>Submissive
>Don't care about your appearance
>Loyal and never have casual sex
>Intelligent
>Don't drink, smoke or do drugs
>Family oriented
>Strict parents for your kids

Yeah... sure...

I bet there are some that have souls.

how do i get funding for a phd

well at least i got a job making $105k as a freshly minted BA

ty i'll check out those books

in the fields i'm aware of it's pretty standard unless you're going to a shit school. what do you study?

have you tried talking to professors?

nibba gradient descent is trivial stuff

>thinking degree title == job title
>going to university for job training

top brainlet

Becoming socialable is just a thing to learn.
Meanwhile being jobless and having no money is a ripe reason to kill yourself.

Why am I still alive?

kek
they are just more likely to tell you the truth that they are with you because you have dependable income

As a child whose parents are chinese immigrants, I can confirm all of that except
>Can cook great food
My mother is not a good cook. she sort of lacks the sense for it.

>not being able to follow the math behind gradient descent. I studied computer science as an undergrad

bomb your university, salt the earth, find every graduate, kill them, salt the earth, find every faculty, kill them, salt the earth, and then jump into a salt mine and kill yourself.