Why has science diverged from philosophy?

Why has science diverged from philosophy?

I blame millennials and their thirst for like-magic-but-true trivia as well as their attention span that got butchered by anime and other normie TV garbage.

Science has been uncoupled with philosophy since the early 1900s. Its not a millenial issue

It's a result of capitalism and specialization of labor. Capitalism says: Why does a mathematician need to know philosophy, understand the Classics, history, etc. in order to do his job? Of course, all great scientists in the past were pretty much polymaths, and that's why modern scientists may as well be retards in comparison.

>philosophy
>science
puh-lease

Science diverged from philosophy when it decided things like "observation", "evidence" and "knowledge" were necessary to find truth

Most of the best philosophers were polymaths and thereby capable of commenting with some insight on scientific matters, now it is to difficult to be an actual polymath as most of the important fields are too far advanced to be understood satisfactorily without first dedicating years to the subjects study.

This. Science cares about determining facts while philosophy only cares about How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real?

Because what you call science was weak and easy science before 1905.

ITT: philosophically illiterate undergrads under the spell of scientism.

>"Science and reason is the best we have" is a statement that is both pseudoscientific & irrational. It conflates science and scientism. Science is rigorous, makes no claims outside a v. narrow domain. "Tradition, risk management, and Skin in the Game is the best we have".
Is taleb right here?

Post-Newton we have had the ability to predict a wide range of phenomena. Naturally, seeing this power and what it could do for us we decided to maximize our ability to find these powerful tools. This created the scientific method. So blame/thank Newton. The OG.

It never diverged. Science is a wholly contained subset of philosophy.

Brainlets GET OUT.

This. Modernists need to be purged from the universities and restore metaphysics as the queen of the sciences.

So you’re saying we went from ‘Science explains” to “Science describes”

Newton did not even use the scientific method really, at least not rigorously.

Define scientism

Well, that has been a more recent development, but that is what particle physics has basically embraced.

Why does a rose grow out of a heap of shit?

>being so philosophically illiterate that you don't even know what this basic term means
it basically means you think the methods of science are the only proper way gain truth in all domains

>this strawman again

I only defined a term, that has nothing to do with strawmanning

I blame Boomers and their thirst for short term results without regard for the long term.

They haven't really. Interdisciplinary communication is actually stronger than ever.

I personally blame autism

Science is a great achievment of philosophy. But now not many scientist read philosophy.

>boomer posting on Veeky Forums

you take that back, tv taught me everything I know

Philosophy was a name used to describe all intelectual pursuits and it happened that back in the day you didn't need a high degree of specialization, so academics weren't clearly categorized into different fields. The identification of of certein set of of intellectual problems (metaphysics, ontology, epistemology, ethics), is really a modern invention. So no, it wasn't that back in the day, scientists were doing philosophy and discovering shit like that, it just happened that the field of "science" wasn't really identified, and that there also was no preferable method of discovering and explainibg nature.

sciences are out procuring new knowledge, and revolutionizing how people live, while philosophy majors say Brainlets get out in their hobbit hole.

>Science has been uncoupled with philosophy since the early 1900s. Its not a millenial issue
Millenials are now trying mix science with modern art & hip-hop resulting in pop-sci

Philosophy origins from old ancient Greece. Wich means to have love for wisdom. And the philosophers wich were assigned to this had one purpose, and that was to gather all knowlege and get a sense out of it. Wich included science. So the word science appears first with Latin many years later to. The Greek called it Epistimi wich is synonomous with Science. There you have it. Science is a part of philosophy.

>Veeky Forums brainlets literally too unintelligent to know that philosophy has been a core factor for the quest of knowledge for millennia

Philosophy is dead. Apart from one man, the only living philosopher on earth, Stefan Molyneux.

science is easy, philosophy is hard
anyone with moderate talent can study for 8 years, write a few papers on the sonic hedgehog protein and advance scientific knowledge a few millimetres, which is one of the main strengths of the scientific method
philosophy is much more all-encompassing so you need a complete understanding to not take one step forward and five hundred back

Philosophags still think they can "reason" their way to enlightenment while scientists have implicitly realized that human cognition and "intuition" has limits and that mathematical reasoning and carefully crafted experiments are needed to overcome these limits.
Meanwhile philosofags still think "what is knowledge?" is a profound question.

I think he means that asking someone to define a word doesn't mean that they are not familiar with it.

Epistemology is a very well-respected and important part of philosophy, after all if a foundation for knowledge to be had cannot be agreed upon everything else simply can't proceed. I don't see how questioning the nature of knowledge itself ISN'T profound...

Alt right please get off Veeky Forums

>Molyneux
an idiot

you think you can science your way to enlightenment? ok.
knowledge is created by cognition and intuition, without it no one could find it. so they both are of equal limit.

It hasn't, science still operates on an empiricist framework.
How science is done rests on the bedrock of epistemic philosophy

Because philosophily is unnecessary

Philosophy asks the questions, science answers.

It hasn't.