What your thoughts on EE?

What your thoughts on EE?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAND_logic
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomasulo_algorithm
apcentral.collegeboard.org/pdf/ap-physics-c-e-m-frq-2017.pdf
catalogue.uci.edu/interdisciplinarystudies/computerscienceandengineering/#text
catalogue.uci.edu/thehenrysamuelischoolofengineering/departmentofelectricalengineeringandcomputerscience/#majorstext
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not as good as CS

Truuuuu

you will develop far better analytical skills than any other eng discipline/CS and also not be unmarketable like math or physics.

Monkeys belong in the

cringe

Butthurt engineers detected.

Success breeds jealousy after all :^)

But to stay on topic, EE is a pretty good field. I'd study it if it where not for CS being more of what I want and if CE didn't make me feel like I'd end up with shallow knowledge in both disciplines I'd take it just to know some EE.

I'd say its tied as the best engineering major alongside MechEng.

i'm not jealous you pleb. nothing wrong with CS if that's what you like but you have no bragging rights over CE and EE. and quit using emojis unless you're trying to be cringey

I'm not bragging though. It was a simple joke but the way you guys have responded over it speaks volumes. I don't think highly of CE though but that's for completely different reasons.

To be blunt, if I believed I could have the same job prospects with an EE degree as I do with a CS degree I would've probably studied EE over CS but seeing as how CS is more marketable I went that route instead. I do think EE is a great field though, kinda hard to say if its better than CS or not as I find both pretty equal.

EE/CE is literally poverty- and brainlet-tier if you aren't in a semiconductor-related field.
And you need a master's at a minimum to touch IC design, with PhDs preferred.

Not as brainlet as CS

>I'm not bragging though. It was a simple joke but the way you guys have responded over it speaks volumes
i dunno man, you seem upset

>CS is more marketable I went that route instead.
might as well have went into finance or some other bullshit then. marketability does not give you bragging rights on Veeky Forums

>I don't think highly of CE though but that's for completely different reasons.
CE is the best degree if you want to do CE. plenty of EEs end up going into CE and realize they wasted tons of time learning optics and E&M and other shit they didn't need. CS can't into CE at all. some CEs end up as software developers so yeah they should have just went CS cause its easier and you'd get more software dev experience. CE is like aero in that if you want to design spacecraft its the best degree, but if you end up being some HVAC faggot you might as well have just done ME.

>if you aren't in a semiconductor-related field
if you aren't in a semiconductor-related field then you aren't in CE at all. also i have a PhD. for most STEM degrees you aren't really likely to work "in the field" without at least masters

It's a trade.

>make joke
>people get butthurt over it
>point out I like EE to calm the butthurt
>"y-you're the one that's upset"

The more you post the more insecure you look. Once more you bring up bragging over a joke. CS is more marketable then finance. Plus I do like CS, I didn't just pick it for job prospects.

"CS can't into CE at all"
I literally could into some jobs. CE varies per uni, in mine CS and CE are practically the same thing (granted the full title of my major is computer science and engineering but still).

Not like I would ever want to though, there are barely any actual CE jobs so you'd be stuck doing CS or EE. You'd go into either field with a disadvantage over others. Also calling CS easier the CE is pretty ignorant but, well, not like you've shown otherwise. You're a PhD so maybe you like research and all but for those of us who just want a job CE carries too many disadvantages that the shallow knowledge you get in either field isn't enough to make up for it. In the masters level its pretty good though.

>The more you post the more insecure you look
lol ok

>CS is more marketable then finance
more CS jobs but finance makes way more money so depends what you mean by marketable. also most CS jobs are not actually CS

>I literally could into some jobs
not really.

>CE varies per uni, in mine CS and CE are practically the same thing
sounds like your uni's CE program is shit

>there are barely any actual CE jobs so you'd be stuck doing CS or EE
nope.jpg

>the shallow knowledge you get in either field
again you're assuming that there is not CE jobs which is wrong

I did my BS in Mechanical Engineering then went back for an MS in theoretical Math and I always thought EE was great.
A lot of great mathematicians started in EE (Nash and Shannon, off the top of my head, but it's hard to get more influential than that).
My focus is on probability and EEs are badasses with that.

It can't get me a job. I have an MS in EE and a Bachelor's in CE

>says engineering is not as good as cs
>people disagree
>wow you guys are so mad, your responses speak volumes and prove im right
you are the worst kind of person

electrical engineering*

and no, you most certainly can't into CE jesus dude if these are the lies you have to tell yourself because you're too scared to do engineering

blocked this thread, see you faggot

That sounds depressing. Is the job market for EE and CE really that bad? No offense but is it just you or do you know other people who also struggle?

Cant you do software jobs with your CE degree?

Go fix a printer.

EE from UCLA here

it's unironically shit
EEs are notoriously bad programmers, and there are no hardware jobs. CS at a good school is harder than EE, too

It's probably just me. Managed to score a few phone screens but I can't get past that shit for some reason.

It's a good field if you take your classes seriously and can make decent connections. Plus I love VLSI and semiconductor shit

pretty good desu

Dude I graduated in May and still nothing. I had a job lined up but my security clearance got delayed so they dropped me. I've had a few interviews since but nothing yet, and I'm literally applying across the entire country.

>UCLA
>Hardware Jobs
>Programming
>CS hard
LOL, are you pajeet? No EE would make any of those statements.

Trim your resume. You filled it with shit they don't care about. Target your shit to specific things. I'd recommend process control with emphasis on understanding PID loops and data analysis. Not a great job, but it is super easy. Use the funds and spare time to apply your degree on your own terms and don't be a wagecuck.

once you get to uni, you'll stop believing everything on here

You're scaring me. I'm the guy you replied to. I'm also applying to every place that has something mildly relevant.

>CS at a good school is harder than EE,
No that's impossible. No way.

EE learn at least 5 times more Math & Physics than a CS Major

I sometimes wish I'd done EE instead of computer engineering. My career has been great but I've gotten really tired of how nobody knows what a computer engineer is. Everybody get it confused with computer science or software engineering.

So what exactly is computer engineering? Do you literally bulid a computer?

big difference between it is CE you learn computer architecture and OS shit. so yeah designing and building computers. Not just microelectronics and not just software.

it's essentially computer science tbqh, you just implement shit in hardware
the guys publishing ISCA, MICRO, HPCA also publish at CS journals like ASPLOS, SIGMOD, IPDPS etc

Here's a rudimentary example of comp eng

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAND_logic

We can leverage the functional completeness of NAND gates to save the company a boatload of money (because you only need to use one type of gate).
The mathematical insight (and subsequent proofs) that assure us the circuits are logically equivalent is CS. Meeting physical constraints like chip size, propagation delay, fan-out, is EE. Combining the two is CE. Basically, how do we combine the devices built for us by EE's in the smartest way to make computer circuits?

Here's another famous example:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomasulo_algorithm

i know those feels but still don't regret it
no

Dumbest of all majors. Lacks the job-opportunities of similar intelligence disciplines like CS, lacks the reasoning ability of high-intelligence disciplines like Physics, Philosophy, and Math.
It's slightly more useful to get an art degree.

That's an emoticon, not an emoji. Underage b&.

Compute """""science"""""

>By CS, I mean logic

ITT: physics and (((comp))) sophomores who think all of electrical is muh circuits and semiconductors
how's the 70's treating you folks?

Bit off topic but I'm cs thinking of switching to ce. Would you say its worth it or should I stick with where I am? Personally, I feel like the electrical engineering I would learn while cool would end up mostly useless as I would end up in software anyways which makes me think I'm better off sticking with cs.

CE = EE + CS

EE has prestige
CS has jobs
CE has both

EE master hardware
CS master software
CE master both

Quit bullshitting neckbeard, we can all see course lists.

ee used to be mostly sticking pieces together being a bitch for a corporation. but thats getting automated. now just a ee degree isnt enough to compete/get a job. you have to double major with something else. and most ee jobs now are theoretical design jobs so its harder to get one

Would you say MechE is a better prospect then? Or should one just go for a masters, or PhD in EE?

>CE master both
more like jack of all trades but master of none.

this guy has the right idea. I did CE undergrad and what i got was watered down comp sci and watered down EE

>got was watered down comp sci

Impossible, CS is already watered down to pure water.

>CS vs CE
CE is the academic major that studies computers using math, physics, and EE. CS is for people too weak to pass advanced math or physics courses. Compare:

>>CS
>1st year
Bullshit java/OO coding class
Bullshit data structures class
Piss easy calculus classes
Piss easy matrix algebra class
[If you're lucky] physics I&II for non-science majors

>2nd year
Watered down "computer architecture" class
Pompous software engineering class
Pathetic discrete "math" class
Watered down "probability" class
Crash course on formal languages and automata

>3rd year
Pathetic algorithms course
Watered down computability and complexity theory course
Laughable networks course
Laughable database course
Crash course on various programing languages

>4th year
Laughable computer security course
[If you're lucky] an Operating Systems class
[If you're lucky] a Compilers class
Horseshit AI with trivial machine learning
5-10 student team Capstone with one dude doing all the work
and all the bullshit easy electives you want

>>CE/ECE/EE
>1st year
C++/C Coding class
C++/C Data Structures and Algorithm
Easy vector calculus
Piss easy matrix algebra class
Ordinary Differential Equations
Physics I&II
Chem I&II

>2nd year
PDEs, Complex Variables, or Advanced Engineering Mathematics [which is half of each]
Probability and Random Processes
Numerical Analysis
Signal and System Analysis
Circuits
Physics III
Digital Logic
An actual Computer Architecture class

>3rd year
Electronics I&II
Communication Systems
Digital Signal Processing
[if CE or ECE] Discrete Math with Coding and Information Theory
[if EE or ECE] Control Theory
[if EE] Electromagnetics
[if CE] Operation Systems
[if CE] Digital System Design
[if CE] Embedded Systems

>4th year
Capstone where everyone actually does shit
[if you're unlucky] Ethics
Electives [for CE]:
Compilers
Computer Vision
Computer Graphics
VLSI Design
Networks
Cryptography
Reverse Engineering
Information Theory
Linear Optimization
Distributed Computing
among others

>Electives [for EE]:
Analog Electronics
Power Electronics
RF/Microwave Engineering
Antennas
Radar Engineering
Power Systems
Electric Machinery
Semiconductor Device Physics
VLSI Design
Photonics/Optics
Wireless Communications
Mechtronics/Robotics
Convex Optimization

Jesus engies can't take a joke

Any degree that has "computer" in its name it's worthless

Hilarious that CSlets have made up a fake major (CE) just to avoid being ridiculed. You are pathetic

only an underage b& would know or care the difference

this is what many people say but it's pretty dumb if you actually want to work in hardware. EEs take a bunch of classes that will be irrelevant such as E&M, power systems, etc. CSs take a bunch of irrelevant shit too like databases, OOP, etc. that shit is all well and good if you want to work in those areas but if you want to work in CE then obviously CE is most appropriate with the most amount of relevant classes. they didn't create the major for no reason

cringe

I've seen curriculums alike this

>learning less is better

>jack of all trades
sorry CS pleb. you are the tradesman, not me

they made it to separate the LCD from their money. You fuckers will shill anything from your past whether its Marvel movies, shit wars, anything about computers including fake degrees, or the Great fucking Gatsby.

CS is 90% logic

EE undergrad here in my 2nd year. Any tips for success and what fields to get into?

Hand-on MechE Jobs are dirty (full of grease and rust) and dangerous (you can lose a limb or be smashed by heavy machines)

While most EE jobs now are clean, in front of a computer in a comfy & neat office. Because EE is more theoretical.

Math, Physics & CS are clean just as EE.
CivilE Jobs are dirty as MechE.

It's homeopathic, obviously.

As an EE I love you stroking my ego, but it's not fair to assume CS takes calc but EE/CE tests out.

cs and ce take the same fucking courses nothing is separate
uc san diego had me take phys I mechanics and phys III electricity and magnetism, mix of people in that class ee, ce, cs
We all took the same math classes as well

>C++/C Coding class
>C++/C Data Structures and Algorithm
those courses are incredibly easy, and filled to the brim of faggots who couldn't fizzbuzz to save their lives, so not much different than the CS equivalent

also what exactly is physics III and numerical analysis supposed to be?

Physics 3 for me was Electromagnetism, Optics, Special Relativity, and basic Quantum physics

Would you prefer the title be "Mathematics of Computation and Engineering of Design For Efficient Implementation"? Because one rolls of the tongue much smoother. Additionally, don't act like programming isn't the most difficult engineering endeavor - rivaled by absolutely none, and CS perhaps exceeds the difficulty of physics.

And no this isn't a pasta, and if it were its fresh as fuck, al dente, ready to be served straight to your gluttonous and procrastination ridden soul.

As for OP, it seems like a pendantic and oversaturated way to earn a paycheck. I'd rather design and build homes than circuit boards, but I'm a math major and love it.

oh, e&m was in my physics 2 course

don't really see how optics, special relativity, or basic quantum physics plays much of a role in EE though

nigga wtf are you talking about

optics is a huge area of EE

wouldn't it be more of a specialization though?

what is the difference?

Very practical, has great potential for wonderful invention. You can create real-world, tangible things for any purpose, limited by your imagination. Go for it, but build something. Even if it's Arduino stuff. Do it.

Well physics 3 is just physics in general. I probably won't need to use most of what I learned in physics for my later EE courses. Also physics 3 got more into induced magnetic fields from electrical currents than just EM introduced in physics 2, at least where I'm going to school

>don't really see how optics, special relativity, or basic quantum physics plays much of a role in EE though

Are you retarded?

this is most of what we covered in my physics 2 class, (took this exam last summer, exempted it in uni) apcentral.collegeboard.org/pdf/ap-physics-c-e-m-frq-2017.pdf

what did your physics 3 course have from there?

>Would you prefer the title be "Mathematics of Computation and Engineering of Design For Efficient Implementation"? Because one rolls of the tongue much smoother. Additionally, don't act like programming isn't the most difficult engineering endeavor - rivaled by absolutely none, and CS perhaps exceeds the difficulty of physics.

being the meme

>I don't see optics's role in EE
>optics is a huge area of EE

Cameras, TV Screens, Optic Fibers, Lasers, Optical Discs (BluRay/CD/DVD), Lamps, Lenses, Telescopes, Sensors, Solar Panels, Fotonics, etc.

Physics MSc/PhDs can work in Optics as well, alongside EEs.

I guess maybe SR doesn't matter that much but quantum is essential for a lot of electronic components. A lot of components function on tunneling, like some diodes and memory.

I have a friend who took AP physics C in high school and he did mention a lot of physics 2 and 3 were put together into that course. College board is just probably trying to cram unnecessary shit down student's throats in such a small time period.

the class was pretty easy tbqh, but i probably would've done shit if i didn't already know vector calc

it's meant to be a full year course which explains the amount of cramming (there was way more shit with inductors and circuit analysis that wasn't on there), however we took physics C mechanics in the fall and E&M in the spring and almost ran out of time

think it's good though that collegeboard is stepping it up a little, saves kids time and money for uni

>also what exactly is physics III [...] supposed to be?

Special Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, a sampling of topics from advanced EM/Mechanics.

>... and numerical analysis supposed to be?

Numerical stability, polynomial approximation, Fourier approximation, numerical differentiation and integration, numerical ordinary differential equations, nonlinear equations, and numerical linear algebra.

explain exactly how programming is more difficult than any of the hard sciences

and while you're at it, explain how CS is an engineering discipline

It wasn't easy for me because I had to teach myself the content since the professor spent the entire hour and 30 min of lecture just deriving equations we didn't even need to use.

i have never heard anything good about any physicsI/II lecturer tbqh

even mine wasn't good. he definitely knew how to do it once, but only remembered 3/4ths of it
there were really only two _actually_ difficult subjects in that class which were flux/working with gaussian surfaces and working with RC circuits
those would've been much easier if my teacher knew how to teach it (or if i cared enough to open up the textbook)

My main issue is that I pay the school for the professors to teach me the content, not for me to teach it to myself. Thankfully all my actually EE professors are really good, it's just the physics and math ones that are garbage.

While Physicists are taking Differential Geometry, EEs are taking Complex Analysis & MechE are taking PDEs

CS brainlets say
>Calculus 1 and Linear Algebra are too hard",
>I won't use it to make muh Wordpress Blogs and muh Smartphone games
>Linear Algebra is PhD level stuff
>What is Differential Equations?

this is so retarded it deserves more (you)s

a lot of them grow out of the muh games/muh blog phase by second year, but very few of them ever grow out of whining about math
and likewise, few come out actually job ready
the only ones that come out job ready are the ones who have already worked on or contributed to many other projects and have a solid portfolio

>CS perhaps exceeds the difficulty of physics
Can CS fags solve easily all problems in this Quantum Physics book?
Pro tip: CS brainlets can't.

BASICALLY
As an EE you're going to be much more focused on electricity (duh). Literally from the voltage and current going thru circuits to ElectroMagnetics. Also, EEs should be good as fucking fuck at Controls Theory for dat job security.

Poysonally, I don't like the monotony of being an EE. It's like being an accountant imo and not as fun or creative as CE (or CS I suppose, I don't personally know). Coding is da best imo.

Fuck the haters, there's job security for both. Get good at Embedded Systems as a last resort.

Aaand make sure you're interested in the material. I hate the more physical aspects of CE like Thermal Analysis I have to take right now. (Micro)Electronics 1 & 2 suck aaaand Controls sucks. Gotta take all of these as CE or EE.

I'm getting my BSCE in the Spring and personally looking into getting an MS in Comp. Sci in which I'm going to have to take courses from "other Engineering disciplines" (obvi af CE & EE). Robotics & VR & shit yall!!!!

why are you talking like this

The hacker Richard Stallman is venerated in /g/

But remind that He is a BSc in Physics.
Not a PhD but a fucking BSc!
Yet is better in coding than most CS PhDs in World.

And there are many more examples like this.

Bill gates - Math Dropout
Elon Musk - BSc in Physics
Steve Jobs - EE Dropout.
Mark Zuckerberg - CS Dropout
Brendan Eich - created Javascript- MSc in Math
Dennis Ritchie - created C & Unix - PhD in Math

nu-/g/ doesn't like stallman, they all call him a commie. fucking dumb faggots

>this is what CE cucks believe

kek i guess this is the kind of stuff you have to tell yourself to sleep at night. Reality is far different.
These are the requirements for CS and CE at UCI.

(scroll down and click on requirements for B.S. computer engineering/science)
>catalogue.uci.edu/interdisciplinarystudies/computerscienceandengineering/#text
>catalogue.uci.edu/thehenrysamuelischoolofengineering/departmentofelectricalengineeringandcomputerscience/#majorstext

>yfw cs majors take more math classes
>yfw ce takes watered down cs classes

I could look up UCLA but I think UCI should be enough to prove my point. Most decent schools are pretty similar. CE is literally watered down CS and EE. You put yourself at a disadvantage because there are barely any actual CE jobs. Good luck finding work when you can't compete with cs majors for software jobs and you can't compete with ee majors for their jobs either. As for ee, good luck finding work at all.

It's telling how booty blasted ce and ee majors get that they have to make up lies to make themselves feel better. No need to be salty by the way, success breeds jealousy.

you are clearly the asspained one, and you you don't know what you're talking about. i'm guessing you're an undergrad. enjoy your codemonkey job

He is a commie and GPL is a terrible license. .

>mocks another major to feel better about terrible life decisions
>someone post actual course curriculum to prove otherwise
>"y-you don't know what you're talking about, y-you're asspained"

I'm not the one making up lies to make myself feel better. Keep being butthurt though and keep telling yourself whatever you want so you don't regret your terrible life decisions. I'll enjoy a job, enjoy your no job.

>haha CE and EE majors will NEVER find work, unlike m-
*blocks your path*