So what's the deal with vitamin D lamps? My mom got me one. Do they work? Are they dangerous?

So what's the deal with vitamin D lamps? My mom got me one. Do they work? Are they dangerous?

Other urls found in this thread:

mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/light-therapy/about/pac-20384604
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump. Was reading about one in the anti-depressant thread. I'm curious to see if they are any more effective than just taking vitamin D supplements orally.

Yeah my mom got me one and was really forcing it on me. I don't know much about them so I was skeptical

I wouldn't use it unless you have a defeciency or low sunlight. Its probably going to give you skin cancer.

I doubt it would give you skin cancer, if you were mindful about how long you were under the lamp. Shorts bursts each day shouldn't be too bad, I imagine...

KYS retard

what are you talking about?

polacks use vitamin D to discredit black people and make them sound inferior, they do this by disguising their posts to sound innocent, key phrases you should look out for:

"My Mom got me one"
"I picked one/this up from the store"
"A friend gave me this"

AHAAHAHAHA

You guys are OBSESSED with pol

Thanks for the heads-up

my Mom literally did get it for me though, and I knew nothing about any of that.

Its a UV lamp what the fuck do you think

15 minutes of direct sunshine per week is all you need for Vitamin D production.

they are specifically made to be UV-free. so cancer scenario is avoided. source: use one daily

see

This.
Unless you live somewhere you get very little sunlight all you are doing is paying for something you can get for very little effort.

>The most natural way to get vitamin D is by exposing your bare skin to sunlight (ultraviolet B rays).
>UV-free vitamin D light
Oh, you bought the snakeoil version.

>my mom got me something
HUWITE PRIVILEGE

vitamin D is a byproduct of UV energy interacting with melanine.

I live in Alaska and the last time I spent any time in sunlight was in September, why am I not dead yet?

Because Vitamin D deficiency doesn't lead directly to death.

these lamps arent meant to produce vit D, they are meant to simulate sunlight

mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/light-therapy/about/pac-20384604

>Light therapy boxes should be designed to filter out harmful ultraviolet (UV) light, but some may not filter it all out. UV light can cause skin and eye damage. Look for a light therapy box that emits as little UV light as possible.

Yeah, but that's something completely different.

If you have a Vit D lamp that is UV free it's pure snake oil.
If you're trying to deal with other issues then, sure.

The big problem I see is that he majority of people easily get the VitD they need from just their regular excursions, going shopping, taking a walk, etc so they don't actually need a VitD lamp and would see no benefits from using it, so companies can easily product lamps with little to no UV, claim it as a healthy thing (everyone knows UV is bad) and then profit from the placebo effect.