Baryon asymmetry

Why the fuck wasn't the production of Particles/Antiparticles equal? what could have caused this asymmetrical generation in the early stages of the universe?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_symmetry_breaking
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It could be spontaneous.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_symmetry_breaking

In short, CP violation. It's already included in the electroweak theory, but the magnitude of CP violation in the standard model is orders of magnitude too small to explain the asymmetry you're talking about.

One of the possible solutions is a second Higgs.

One hypothesis is that because strangelets are positively charged in their ground state and large strangelets are calculated to be more stable than nuclear matter, they turned most antimatter into strange matter at some point during baryogenesis.

Of course what happened to all that strange matter and why none of it has been directly observed yet are open questions.

the other side of the universe is made of antimatter

If this were true, wouldn't there be some zone in the middle where galaxies with antimatter and matter both routinely collide with and largely annihilate each other? In such cases, wouldn't such a massive set of gamma ray bursts be VERY obvious and easy to detect?

Maybe there's an empty zone "now"

>The formation of antimatter galaxies was originally thought to explain the baryon asymmetry, as from a distance, antimatter atoms are indistinguishable from matter atoms; both produce light (photons) in the same way. Along the boundary between matter and antimatter regions, however, annihilation (and the subsequent production of gamma radiation) would be detectable, depending on its distance and the density of matter and antimatter. Such boundaries, if they exist, would likely lie in deep intergalactic space. The density of matter in intergalactic space is reasonably well established at about one atom per cubic meter.[9][10] Assuming this is a typical density near a boundary, the gamma ray luminosity of the boundary interaction zone can be calculated. No such zones have been detected, but 30 years of research have placed bounds on how far they might be. On the basis of such analyses, it is now deemed unlikely that any region within the observable universe is dominated by antimatter.[2]

Alright. So likely no anti-verse

A good way of testing this hypothesis would be to observe neutron stars more and see if there are any clustering patterns and if they correlate with differing CBR densities.

Even if there were loads of CP violation, you couldn't produce baryon asymmetry without the other 2 Sakharov conditions: baryon-number-violating processes and departure from thermal equilibrium

It could be outside of our lightcone. Matter-antimatter pairs are generated moving in opposite directions. So I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that the anti-verse is likewise moving away from us, outside of our visible universe.

There is antimatter in our galaxy. It has been detected. What if a cloud of antimatter comes to Earth? Also, what if a space ship traveled to the antimatter universe?

What if I shook hands with an antimatter alien?

I never said that antimatter couldn't exist in our universe, just that our universe is biased toward matter, and the other one would be biased toward antimatter.

I am just saying that clouds of antimatter have been detected in our galaxy. What if someday Earth is hit with an antimatter cloud?

Then there will be significantly less Earth

yes the point is that the amount of antimatter is not anywhere close to the amount of matter

when matter and antimatter come together, they get annihilated. matter is being destroyed, there isn't a conservation of mass but mass-energy. photons are emitted from the annihilation

a cloud of antimatter wont come to earth because statistically that's so unbelievably unlikely. when our galaxy collides with andromeda there isn't even the least bit of worry that we'll be in danger just given statistics

if an antimatter earth and earth collided, we would all be destroyed though. if you are matter you do not want to be anywhere near antimatter. shaking hands with an antimatter alien would destroy you

What if the antimatter aliens come in peace?

It was probably only slightly asymmetrical.

Then all the antimatter annihilated with most of the matter and we are all that's left.

>now
Really? You think the CMB is "now", that's why we can see it?

When galaxies collide, they don't touch, they just fly through each other, there's too much space between stars for anything to collide.

the gas between stars do collide tho

>Sakharov conditions
Oh cool, thanks for the lead. I have a friend who tells me about this stuff, by don't work on it myself.

What it there reference for this quote?

> massive set of gamma ray bursts

there is no proof of magnitude of such bursts. Even CMB could be this "glow"

quantum fluctuations

That zone could technically be beyond the event horizon of the observable universe.

>Of course what happened to all that strange matter and why none of it has been directly observed yet are open questions.
it's dark matter

boom nobel prize please

>what could have caused this asymmetrical
probably when you rigorously compute all the amplitudes there is a strong effect matter dominates because zero and infinity are both non-negative numbers

but even anti-matter isn't negetive, it's just opposite in charge and spin direction from normal matter

>boom nobel
a pre-lit stick of dynamite